Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I run a local server for myself and kids to play, and I'm getting bored with vanilla minecraft :/

Im looking into mods that add extra building options for buildings / ore gathering ,etc to give a reason to explore and build things other then to just make the town look pretty,

I am completely new to the mod pack, all I have ever done was add a texture before. Can someone give me a good start for kid friendly packs (like for a 9 year old)

Also, i can maintain the server, as well as the computer i play on, but is there an easy way to assure all the computers are using the same pack with minimal trouble ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Roundboy posted:

I run a local server for myself and kids to play, and I'm getting bored with vanilla minecraft :/

Im looking into mods that add extra building options for buildings / ore gathering ,etc to give a reason to explore and build things other then to just make the town look pretty,

I am completely new to the mod pack, all I have ever done was add a texture before. Can someone give me a good start for kid friendly packs (like for a 9 year old)

Also, i can maintain the server, as well as the computer i play on, but is there an easy way to assure all the computers are using the same pack with minimal trouble ?

Honestly if you don't care about the latest and greatest then the main technic pack launchers are the easiest way to do it. Technicpack.net - Tekkit, Big Dig, and Hexxit.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

mechaet posted:

Whenever he updates it beyond 0.4.2c, which doesn't work with MMPS, to a version that does work with MMPS it'll be right back in.

Cool, thanks for the response!

e. And there's an update today that apparently adds XACT. Wow, that was fast.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 9, 2013

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
Sorry about that, by the way. I had no idea XACT even added a MPS module until I changed something in the API and started getting crash reports for it.

I mean, I'm happy that people are doing it cause that's totally what I was hoping for in the first place, but drat, I didn't put that much thought into it originally and now people are depending on it :suicide:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Roundboy posted:

I really liked Tekkit Lite because it's fairly simple and still has a ton of stuff to do in it. I remember the first time I tried settijng up an automated ore maceration and smelting network and I spent 4 hours perfecting it. Honestly I'd say it'll be great for kids to play with and experiment. But you may have to spawn them a few things like rubber tree saplings on occasion.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
If you're a hands on kinda guy, you might consider coming up with some incredible machine style challenges for the kids. Start simple, say, with a machine and a power source, and some wires in a box, and then ask them to, "hook everything up." Get more complex over time, start only providing parts or raw ores, that kind of thing. After they get the hang of individual parts, start stacking them--things like, "Can you make a machine that macerates everything in this hopper, and then spits the gold dust in one bin and all the other dusts in a second bin?" And just go from there. If you leave the bits from the challenges wherever you did them, it's only a matter of time before they're scavenged and set up in their base. Take it slow, only introduce one thing at a time, and within a week they'll have some really neat devices that do... something. Maybe something inexplicable. Kids, man.

Giving children goals encourages them onwards, and layering previous goals lets them do more complex tasks without making it any more challenging. Don't be afraid to provide scaffolding ("I bet that machine needs power to run," and so forth) because that's where the most learning happens.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Teach them about solar panels too. You'll see the little buggers dragging beds with them everywhere so they can all sleep at the same time to skip nights so they get more power. Alternatively you can give them a batbox or two and teach them how batteries work in conjunction with the solar panels. Show them how coal powered furnaces is inefficient etc. Mold the egostitical little shits into hippies and incur the wrath of their parents.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Hey guys, I've got a new modpack assembled. It's in late late beta stages right now (just playtesting for config issues or conflicts) the focus is on building materials this time. While there is still plenty of tech, there are some 40-50 different metal blocks, I think 20ish types of wood, the ability to build slopes, different glass, etc.

Its a fairly impressive modlist with 67 or so individual jar files but seems to run like a champ.

If you're interested in the pack it is on the technic platform at this url: http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/wylkers-lp-modpack

You'll have to manually select the version as 4.0.0 for now I should have a stable promoted version this week.

I'm also starting a new LP server and am looking for some fresh meat to play with. I'd like to have a crop of 30 or so players to draw from and then hopefully have 10-12 people on. If you're interested in playing email me: wylkersvideos (at) gmail.com. I don't need a fancy application, just let me know you're a goon and that you're not a retard and I'll send you the server details. The only important bit is that I'll need your minecraft name in the subject line of the email.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wylker posted:

Hey guys, I've got a new modpack assembled. It's in late late beta stages right now (just playtesting for config issues or conflicts) the focus is on building materials this time. While there is still plenty of tech, there are some 40-50 different metal blocks, I think 20ish types of wood, the ability to build slopes, different glass, etc.

Its a fairly impressive modlist with 67 or so individual jar files but seems to run like a champ.

If you're interested in the pack it is on the technic platform at this url: http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/wylkers-lp-modpack

You'll have to manually select the version as 4.0.0 for now I should have a stable promoted version this week.

I'm also starting a new LP server and am looking for some fresh meat to play with. I'd like to have a crop of 30 or so players to draw from and then hopefully have 10-12 people on. If you're interested in playing email me: wylkersvideos (at) gmail.com. I don't need a fancy application, just let me know you're a goon and that you're not a retard and I'll send you the server details. The only important bit is that I'll need your minecraft name in the subject line of the email.
What mods are in your pack?

E: To ask a question, what do you do when two mods overwrite each others Item IDs? Ars Magica and Thermal Expansion seem to be using the same IDs so I'm having real troubles trying to find all the possible item-id conflicts before they happen. Also, it's not block IDs so the game will launch just fine.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

wylker posted:

Oh maaan, I haven't touched minecraft since I was last on your server and my body is ready. :getin:

Are you going to publish the rest of the Hexxit videos?

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Turtlicious posted:

E: To ask a question, what do you do when two mods overwrite each others Item IDs? Ars Magica and Thermal Expansion seem to be using the same IDs so I'm having real troubles trying to find all the possible item-id conflicts before they happen. Also, it's not block IDs so the game will launch just fine.

Start the game, then open up your ForgeModLoader-client-0.log and search for 'Conflict' and 'overwriting'. Some of the results might be harmless but it should give you a fairly good idea if there are mods overwriting things from other mods. Other than that, I guess the easiest way is to gradually add mods, use NEI to dump item ids and then edit new mod configs accordingly as needed.

It's worked well for me for my private modpack with about 108 mods (70:ish jar/zip files, so some are just compat mods I suppose).

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Start the game, then open up your ForgeModLoader-client-0.log and search for 'Conflict' and 'overwriting'. Some of the results might be harmless but it should give you a fairly good idea if there are mods overwriting things from other mods. Other than that, I guess the easiest way is to gradually add mods, use NEI to dump item ids and then edit new mod configs accordingly as needed.

It's worked well for me for my private modpack with about 108 mods (70:ish jar/zip files, so some are just compat mods I suppose).

Sometimes, when IDs conflict weird things will happen to recipes. On NST, for a while, a recipe that was supposed to make Artifice Marble become MFR Whitestone would display correctly in the crafting table, but when you pulled the item out, it was a vanilla stone button. :v:

Luckily, no one's found one of those for say, antimatter. Yet.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Jedi425 posted:

Sometimes, when IDs conflict weird things will happen to recipes. On NST, for a while, a recipe that was supposed to make Artifice Marble become MFR Whitestone would display correctly in the crafting table, but when you pulled the item out, it was a vanilla stone button. :v:

Luckily, no one's found one of those for say, antimatter. Yet.

Heh. I hadn't realized there were conflicts that were not allowing recipes to be completed until I tried to make a sink the other day.

I've corrected all of the conflicts, so thankfully that's taken care of; it did cost IronClaymore his castle walls though :cripes:

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

mechaet posted:

Heh. I hadn't realized there were conflicts that were not allowing recipes to be completed until I tried to make a sink the other day.

I've corrected all of the conflicts, so thankfully that's taken care of; it did cost IronClaymore his castle walls though :cripes:

Generally what I do these days is never change id:s for mods that are already installed and instead modify only id ranges for mods introduced later on. Of course, sometimes you have to switch mods around such as when we made the switch from BoP to ExtraBiomesXL+Highlands on my server at which point no matter of config editing will really save you. (and generally will require a new world generation anyway, really).

So what I do is use Dinnerbones excellent coordinates tool to determine where structures we want to save are, and pull those region files home so that I can use MCEdit to replace the soon-to-be defunct blocks with the most similar ones from the new configuration.

This is not foolproof. Especially not when done tired. Q.E.D:

Hmm, no, that's not quite right. :v:

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Generally what I do these days is never change id:s for mods that are already installed and instead modify only id ranges for mods introduced later on. Of course, sometimes you have to switch mods around such as when we made the switch from BoP to ExtraBiomesXL+Highlands on my server at which point no matter of config editing will really save you. (and generally will require a new world generation anyway, really).

So what I do is use Dinnerbones excellent coordinates tool to determine where structures we want to save are, and pull those region files home so that I can use MCEdit to replace the soon-to-be defunct blocks with the most similar ones from the new configuration.

This is not foolproof. Especially not when done tired. Q.E.D:

Hmm, no, that's not quite right. :v:

I did change the IDs in order of mod appearance in the pack so minimal disruption was had. The problem was that we had long-standing ID conflicts that had been there since some of the mods had been introduced. Considering the only thing we lost was one castle's walls, I think I got it done with minimal disruption, all things considered.

Moving forward, I'm cognizant of these non-crashing conflicts so I'll be looking for them and moving the new mod IDs rather than relocating established numbers. I have a spreadsheet where I track all of the IDs, and each mod has a block of IDs assigned to it (or in the case of magical crops, two blocks, 256 apart) so we should not run into this issue ever again, I just hope we ever run into a situation where one of the mods adds a surprising number of block IDs or item IDs in one update (like 30 blocks or 100 items).

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Did I hear right that 1.7 fixes it so mods don't use block IDs anymore and use strings based on the mod/name?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

wylker posted:

Does it have trains?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

Did I hear right that 1.7 fixes it so mods don't use block IDs anymore and use strings based on the mod/name?

If I remember correctly, 1.7 lays the groundwork and let's people use just names instead of ID's, but it doesn't get rid of them entirely. I think that's coming in 1.8.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
I've just ran across an addon mod for buildcraft called QuarryPlus
MC forum page,
Mod information/readme/Recipes

Great things about it is that
1. You can enchant fortune or silk touch on quarries and mining wells. A lot of the other items can also be enchanted with various affects.
To get these enchantable items you generally have to use an assembly table
2. You can config the Recipes to different difficulties, from cheat to greg techhard
3. You can config the max quarry size. It looks like it will even restrict buildcraft quarries, but I'm not sure if this is accurate.
4. The author says that the mod can be put into any modpack.

However, it seems that the author is stopping development of all his mods since November. But the mod is on sourceforge, so it might be possible for someone else to get the source code and continue.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Taffer posted:

If I remember correctly, 1.7 lays the groundwork and let's people use just names instead of ID's, but it doesn't get rid of them entirely. I think that's coming in 1.8.

Thank gently caress for that. I love that modding is getting progressively easier for the end user.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

Turtlicious posted:

If you click on the link to the pack you can see the modlist :)

Ixjuvin posted:

Oh maaan, I haven't touched minecraft since I was last on your server and my body is ready. :getin:

Are you going to publish the rest of the Hexxit videos?

Yeah I still have them just need to publish...

I already sent you an email with the server info :P

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

The leaves look bulbous. What's doing that? :magical:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wylker posted:

You posted the API link that you paste into your minecraft, not the actual link to your modpack.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

D34THROW posted:

The leaves look bulbous. What's doing that? :magical:

That's Better Grass & Leaves (danger: minecraftforum.net link.) which I honestly don't want to play without these days. Also adds coral reef effects in oceans, reeds along riverbanks, falling leaves and blood splatter among other things (all configurable from within the game itself). Completely client-side forge mod, so you can use it on any server. :eng101:

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
IDs are more or less gone from the modder's perspective in 1.7. They're still used internally and probably always will be, because disk space and load times. You can *mostly* get away without touching them in 1.6 in fact.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

wylker posted:

Just a heads up. Artifice (or at least the version you're using) still has the crash with frames thing. Might want to disable frame crafting (which turns off scaffolding, glass, etc) in the config.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I've just started to mess around with MFR's programmable rednet controller. I'm trying to set it up so that a button press gives me a constant-on output signal for 10 minutes, then shuts off again. This way, I can run my mining drill for set periods without draining all my batteries dry. I can't figure it out, though. Can anyone guide me in the right direction (or give me an easier way to do the same thing)?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

King Hotpants posted:

I've just started to mess around with MFR's programmable rednet controller. I'm trying to set it up so that a button press gives me a constant-on output signal for 10 minutes, then shuts off again. This way, I can run my mining drill for set periods without draining all my batteries dry. I can't figure it out, though. Can anyone guide me in the right direction (or give me an easier way to do the same thing)?

There is a pulse extender or something, use that. Pretty sure it use ticks for amount, so try 12000. It is 20 ticks per second on a non laggy server.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

King Hotpants posted:

edited:

OK, after doing some testing the main problem is that pulse lengthener, the program designed for this situation, deals in ticks, which is fine since you can add enough ticks together to approximate 10 minutes, depending on lag, but the constants you can declare only allow values up to 255. You can however, chain analogue addition commands, adding 2 255 constants to output to Var 1, then on program 2 run another addition, adding 255 to Var 1 to make Var 2, etc. until you get the number you want. Expand your PRC memory as needed or chain PRCs together.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 10, 2013

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

axelsoar posted:

edited:

OK, after doing some testing the main problem is that pulse lengthener, the program designed for this situation, deals in ticks, which is fine since you can add enough ticks together to approximate 10 minutes, depending on lag, but the constants you can declare only allow values up to 255. You can however, chain analogue addition commands, adding 2 255 constants to output to Var 1, then on program 2 run another addition, adding 255 to Var 1 to make Var 2, etc. until you get the number you want. Expand your PRC memory as needed or chain PRCs together.

A simpler method that would use much less circuits would be to do this:

Circuit 1: SR-Latch

Set the R pin to VARS 1
Set the S pin to the I/O that corresponds to your button to start the Quarry
Set the Q to the I/O that corresponds to your Quarry machine
Leave Q# as NULL

This circuit will wait for an input on the S pin, and then energize the Q pin, turning your quarry on when you push the button.

It will then wait until it receives a signal on the R pin to stop energizing the Q pin.

Circuit 2: Wave (Square) [Timer]

Set the Pd to CNST 200
Set the Q pin to VARS 2

This circuit generates a pulse on VAR 2 every 200 ticks (or about 10 seconds)

Circuit 3: Counter

Set the INC pin to VARS 4
Leave the DEC pin as CNST 0
Set the PRE pin to CNST 60
Set the Q Pin to VARS 1
Leave V pin as NULL

This circuit will count up from 0 to 60 each time it receives a pulse from VAR 4. Once it reaches 60, it will pulse an output to VAR 1, turning the machine off.

Circuit 4: And (2-Input)

Set the I0 pin to the I/O that corresponds to your quarry machine
Set the I1 pin to VARS 2

This circuit will send a pulse to the counter circuit every time the Square Wave (timer) pulses, but ONLY when the quarry machine is powered on. If it's not powered on, nothing happens.

You can play around with the CNST values in circuits 2 and 3 to adjust to your tastes. 60 x 200 / 20 = 600 seconds, or 10 minutes.

Edit: If you wanted, you could also add another and circuit + an or circuit to make it turn the machine off while it's running if it receives another pulse from the button. I can post more detailed instructions if needed.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 10, 2013

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Removed.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 11, 2013

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Do you have Project Red available? This is exactly what a state cell is for. It won't be as pretty or powerful as a PRC, but it sounds like pretty and powerful are much lower on your priority list than "can actually be set up without five paragraphs of instructions."

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

A simpler method that would use much less circuits would be to do this:

Edit: If you wanted, you could also add another and circuit + an or circuit to make it turn the machine off while it's running if it receives another pulse from the button. I can post more detailed instructions if needed.

Thanks, this worked great.

MechaCrash, I'm on Tekkit, so no Project Red.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
So my BR research has lead me to believe that about 1000 RF/t for 0.25 mB/t is as good as it gets. Let me know if any one finds a more efficient setup.

As note the server I am on is back on standard BR settings.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hagop posted:

So my BR research has lead me to believe that about 1000 RF/t for 0.25 mB/t is as good as it gets. Let me know if any one finds a more efficient setup.

As note the server I am on is back on standard BR settings.

Do you mind posting a picture of your setup and settings? I know the point of this mod is to figure it out and experiment but I'd rather just steal someone else s design and move onto other stuff.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

tonic316 posted:

Do you mind posting a picture of your setup and settings? I know the point of this mod is to figure it out and experiment but I'd rather just steal someone else s design and move onto other stuff.

Can't post any pics at the moment but the setup is simple.

9x9x3 reactor.

9 rods in a 3x3 in the center.

Fill the outside 2 block space with water.

All control rods at 0.

Make a new one for each 1000 RF/t you need.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hagop posted:

Can't post any pics at the moment but the setup is simple.

9x9x3 reactor.

9 rods in a 3x3 in the center.

Fill the outside 2 block space with water.

All control rods at 0.

Make a new one for each 1000 RF/t you need.

Making it taller reduces the efficiency?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

MechaCrash posted:

Do you have Project Red available? This is exactly what a state cell is for. It won't be as pretty or powerful as a PRC, but it sounds like pretty and powerful are much lower on your priority list than "can actually be set up without five paragraphs of instructions."

It looks like a lot but it only really takes like 2 minutes to set up once you know what you're doing.

The Rednet Controller kind of reminds me of the PLCs I used for industrial automation. If there was some kind of GUI for it, like a Ladder Logic programming interface I'd probably never use anything else.

Granted, I could accomplish the same thing with just a Toggle Latch tile and a Timer tile from Project Red, I much prefer the Rednet cables from MFR as it uses less blocks, and less space. It's also less stressful on the server/client.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The Rednet Controller kind of reminds me of the PLCs I used for industrial automation.

I think that was the idea; if I'm not mistaken PowerCrystals does industrial automation for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hagop
May 14, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Making it taller reduces the efficiency?

Adding one more z level dropped me down to about .33 mB/t. I didn't test past that.

• Locked thread