Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

So glad I backed this. Looking very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Their error page talked about an invasion by Kerfufflopagus or something. The marshmallows have their, er ... appendages? ... everwhere! :tinfoil:

Edit: Yep this is happening.
KERFLUFFLEUPOGUS DEMANDS PALADINS.

You saw SAGA in the trailer? That's fantasy game dev code for "we want to make this a franchise".

You don't even need that to come to the same conclusion. Why dump 4 million dollars into a setting and then abandon it?

Super pumped about this.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Farewell old thread.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Without any additional information given I really don't like the idea of EVEN MORE stretch goals in place now that the new preorder system or whatever is up.

What's the opportunity cost, here? Will the game be out even later, or will additional characters lead to shorter questlines for all npcs or what? Will you be hiring X more people onto the dev team or be switching people around?

I get that you have to make money, and if you want to do new content stretch goals for the DLC stuff without delaying the current game any longer, that might be cool, but just a blanket statement of "hey do you want more stuff in this game" seems kinda iffy.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

Huh, wasn't this game originally set in a sort of magi-technological future built on successive layers of an ancient ruined civilization? Guess that's changed from something Planescapey to more Baldursgatey.

That would be Torment: Tides of Numenera this is Pillars of Eternity which was always Baldur's Gate inspired.

To remind people:

TORMENT: TIDES OF NUMENERA: A KICKSTARTED GAME MADE TO BE A SUCCESSOR OF PLANESCAPE: TORMENT

PILLARS OF ETERNITY: A KICKSTARTED GAME MADE TO BE A SUCCESSOR TO THE MORE TRADITIONAL INFINITY ENGINE GAMES I.E. BALDURS GATE AND ICE WIND DALE

There's been a bit confusion in people's reaction to Torment as well thinking that it was also a generally I.E. inspired game rather than super specifically Torment.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 10, 2013

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Drifter posted:

I get that you have to make money, and if you want to do new content stretch goals for the DLC stuff without delaying the current game any longer, that might be cool, but just a blanket statement of "hey do you want more stuff in this game" seems kinda iffy.
It's for two very specific things:

quote:

We've always taken your pledges seriously and we remain committed to giving our backers every stretch goal you reached during the Kickstarter campaign. Budgeting a game of this size can be daunting, but we always remember the cornerstones of our pitch and the features you funded. Even so, there are two things we know a lot of you have asked for: more wilderness areas and more companions. Both of these are very time-consuming, but we understand why so many people want them. Because we've seen these requests more than a few times, we would like to ask the community if you would be interested in new stretch goals to fund additional development. If not, no worries: we're still going to deliver on everything you've backed. Please let us know your thoughts in this thread on our forums.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Phobophilia posted:

Huh, wasn't this game originally set in a sort of magi-technological future built on successive layers of an ancient ruined civilization? Guess that's changed from something Planescapey to more Baldursgatey.

That's Torment: Tides of Numenera

beaten, but I have a link!

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Hell yes, the new name is great. Now to go back into the sleeper tube until release.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

rope kid posted:

I'd definitely put down some more money for extra companions + wilderness areas.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

chiefnewo posted:

I've already sent Obsidian a message via the pledge website, but I want to whinge about it here too. I donated extra money during the Kickstarter for international shipping and an addon. The addon is $5 cheaper on the pledge website, so when I get to the checkout it mentions that I have money remaining. The balance shown on the checkout sheet correctly shows that international shipping will be taken out and there is $5 remaining. When I select to donate the $5 as additional funding it also takes the $30 for international shipping, then wants to charge me another $30 on top for the shipping I've already paid for!

I figure this is just an oversight and will be corrected quickly, but it's a bit of an oops that the system doesn't correctly take into account international shipping.
I forwarded this to Darren and they're looking into it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dr Subterfuge posted:

That's Torment: Tides of Numenera

beaten, but I have a link!

Oooh. I was getting my Semi-Indie Kickstarter Video Games mixed up.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

drat. I think it's the time to finally register on Obsidian forums. :v:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

rope kid posted:

It could be a little clearer that it is in fact those two very specific things, as it is they're buried in the paragraph.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Drifter posted:

Without any additional information given I really don't like the idea of EVEN MORE stretch goals in place now that the new preorder system or whatever is up.

I'm alright with it as long as they don't pull a Star Citizen and start selling vanity items to individuals. More content is good.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

rope kid posted:

I forwarded this to Darren and they're looking into it.

Sweet, thanks very much!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Airfoil posted:

Is the music in the trailer original? If so, I'm curious if the chorus is actually singing in a PoE conlang.
It was composed by Justin Bell (who wrote the Kickstarter pitch music). The intro choir lyrics were written by me (in Glanfathan) and performed by a small choir of Obsidian employees.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

rope kid posted:

I was trying to just be nice with my last paragraph; I read that update. Thank you for trying to clarify, though.

So will adding additional content make the game take longer to get released? I mean, the original Kickstarter had a vague "enhance the whole game" that could very easily be used for this particular thing, so if this is just a directed language update intended to boost project income then that's cool, but if it's like, entirely new things requiring more peoplehours and stuff...don't you already have enough on your plates? Would this be for expansions or for the vanilla game, I guess.

I'm not begrudging you any money or opportunity to get more money, I love it, but I'm just curious.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Delusibeta posted:

Yeah, my pledge remains unconfirmed. Oh well, try again tomorrow.

Mine went through just now so hopefully when you wake up tomorrow it'll go through fine.

Excellent
VVVVV

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 11, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Mine went through :neckbeard:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Drifter posted:

So will adding additional content make the game take longer to get released?
Probably a bit, mostly for companions rather than wilderness environments. Additional content does take additional time to make, but not dramatically, not at the scale we're thinking about.

E: Personally, I think more wilderness areas would feel really cool and I believe players would enjoy them. I also would like for players to have every character class represented by a companion. Right now we're 3 short. We don't want to go buckwild on this stuff, but we do think it would feel better with those additions. If we thought it would fundamentally make the game worse, we wouldn't even be asking.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 11, 2013

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

fez_machine posted:

It could be a little clearer that it is in fact those two very specific things, as it is they're buried in the paragraph.

Well it's a poll http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64736-stretch-goals/, so people can go vote either way. I personally like a smaller set of companions and I never particularly enjoyed the outdoor areas in BG1, so I voted no.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Scorchy posted:

Well it's a poll http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64736-stretch-goals/, so people can go vote either way. I personally like a smaller set of companions and I never particularly enjoyed the outdoor areas in BG1, so I voted no.

I voted for turnbased combat.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

rope kid posted:

Probably a bit, mostly for companions rather than wilderness environments. Additional content does take additional time to make, but not dramatically, not at the scale we're thinking about.

Would adding companions at this 'late stage' not limit the degree to which they'd be able to be tied into the story? There's no point doing it if they were going to be obviously subpar versus the initial envisaged ones.

e: Not saying that they would be subpar, just seems like it might be a risk.

Drifter posted:

I voted for turnbased combat.

What are you doing? Everyone knows that RTwP is more realistic! :suicide:

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 11, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd love more companions, as long as they can all be given the proper time. One of each class would be perfect. Wilderness areas don't sound as appealing; the countryside scenes look pretty but they feel like the areas I'll be running through on my way to a cool looking magitech dungeon or story quest.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

CottonWolf posted:

Would adding companions at this 'late stage' not limit the degree to which they'd be able to be tied into the story? There's no point doing it if they were going to be obviously subpar versus the initial envisaged ones.
No, actually. While we do design our companions relatively early in development, we don't write them until we get closer to the end (e.g. I just started writing the first companion literally this morning). We ignore them completely as far as the crit path design of the game is concerned because they are all optional. Developing them later allows us to be much more reactive to the final designs of quests and areas.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

rope kid posted:

No, actually. While we do design our companions relatively early in development, we don't write them until we get closer to the end (e.g. I just started writing the first companion literally this morning). We ignore them completely as far as the crit path design of the game is concerned because they are all optional. Developing them later allows us to be much more reactive to the final designs of quests and areas.

Oh, cool. That actually makes me much more positive about the idea.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

rope kid posted:

It was composed by Justin Bell (who wrote the Kickstarter pitch music). The intro choir lyrics were written by me (in Glanfathan) and performed by a small choir of Obsidian employees.

Judging by this and your performances in FNV, Obsidian are great vocalists.

Trailer looks great, glad to have pledged on day 1. I'm certain that the game won't run on my laptop but I'll be all over it once I get a new one.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

rope kid posted:

E: Personally, I think more wilderness areas would feel really cool and I believe players would enjoy them. I also would like for players to have every character class represented by a companion. Right now we're 3 short. We don't want to go buckwild on this stuff, but we do think it would feel better with those additions. If we thought it would fundamentally make the game worse, we wouldn't even be asking.

This is definitely stuff you should mention in the voting thread.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sorry, Barrington J. Bayley, I've only room for one Pillars of Eternity in my heart.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

2house2fly posted:

I'd love more companions, as long as they can all be given the proper time. One of each class would be perfect. Wilderness areas don't sound as appealing; the countryside scenes look pretty but they feel like the areas I'll be running through on my way to a cool looking magitech dungeon or story quest.

I just have bad memories of NWN2 where they did the 'one-of-each-class' thing and it ended up really suffering as a result. There were some decent concepts in there like I don't know, Qara or Bishop, that got lost in the shuffle. They had a more focused tact with MotB and those companions were so much deeper and more rad as a result. PST too, not a lot of companions, but each was actually memorable. I feel the 8 they have right now is a good number.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
Hey so Winter 2014 huh? technically that could mean next month, you guys work fast.

Also, saw this on the site and it made me sad that this isn't getting a physical release.

Imagine that as a big BG1 sized box.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Scorchy posted:

I just have bad memories of NWN2 where they did the 'one-of-each-class' thing and it ended up really suffering as a result. There were some decent concepts in there like I don't know, Qara or Bishop, that got lost in the shuffle. They had a more focused tact with MotB and those companions were so much deeper and more rad as a result. PST too, not a lot of companions, but each was actually memorable. I feel the 8 they have right now is a good number.

A very good point. NWN2's companions were really forgettable outside of a handful.

I don't really mind how many companions there are, as long as they're fleshed out. As long as their character traits aren't just their name, sex, class, and race, I'll be happy.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

Hey so Winter 2014 huh? technically that could mean next month, you guys work fast.

Also, saw this on the site and it made me sad that this isn't getting a physical release.

Uhh, it is? Or it is if you're willing to shell out for it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

It is getting a boxed version.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Boxed copy is an option if you pledged at the appropriate level, but I have no idea if they'll be selling boxed copies post-release.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm getting it signed buddy. :smugdog:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I completely missed that on their site. If there were ever a logo that should be embossed on the box, that's it.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Huh, wasn't getting pledge link emails then remembered that I've changed my KS email because the original one's spam filter somehow didn't like KS. Now, is the "Digital Download of World Almanac" ($15 addon) included in a full digital tier of $50 or is it something else?

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
Are the pillars in the logo actually made of obsidian? If so, that's pretty meta. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

JanPospisil posted:

Are the pillars in the logo actually made of obsidian? If so, that's pretty meta. :)

Polished obsidian is black I think. I know snowflake obsidian is black with white specks (like snowflakes).

• Locked thread