Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think out of all the things my favorite feature listed is the LACK of animated cutscenes for every little thing, I really like the method they mention of a skill check and then either text or text and some rough drawings for multiple options instead of the same little cutscene/animation playing dozens of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

chiefnewo posted:

I've already sent Obsidian a message via the pledge website, but I want to whinge about it here too. I donated extra money during the Kickstarter for international shipping and an addon. The addon is $5 cheaper on the pledge website, so when I get to the checkout it mentions that I have money remaining. The balance shown on the checkout sheet correctly shows that international shipping will be taken out and there is $5 remaining. When I select to donate the $5 as additional funding it also takes the $30 for international shipping, then wants to charge me another $30 on top for the shipping I've already paid for!

I figure this is just an oversight and will be corrected quickly, but it's a bit of an oops that the system doesn't correctly take into account international shipping.
This has been fixed.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SoggyBobcat posted:

No Charisma stat? Good.
Resolve is the closest thing to Charisma, kind of like Presence or Power in systems like Ars Magica and Call of Cthulhu/Stormbringer, respectively.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

coffeetable posted:

Mind copypastin'/screenshotting the form? Curious to see what the prompt questions are.
A lot of these are still makeshift (full options aren't available yet)

-----

NPC
Character's Full Name
What is your character's full (first and last) name?

Personality and Combat Style
Describe the personality and combat style of your NPC. You're welcome to describe this in prose, or as a series of short descriptors.
Example:
Flimbel is a wild man, talking in stuttering fragments and twitching irregularly, occasionally raising his voice to an unnecessary, booming volume. He interprets the actions of others in the worst way possible, taking offense when none is intended. In combat, he lets loose with big area effect spells, especially if they are flashy and fiery.

Backstory
Describe the backstory of your NPC. This one is a bit trickier, because we must ensure that the backstory matches the general tone and history of the world. We'll do our best to match the overall spirit of the backstory with something that works for the area in which the NPC is found, and for the type of interactions that players will have with your NPC, possibly including dialogue.

Character's Race

Character's Desired Appearance

Character's Gender

Character's Age

Character's Class

Character's Hair Style

Character's Facial Hair Style

Character's Armor Color

Character's Occupation

Character's Main Weapon

Character's Off-hand Item

Character's Head
What type of helmet or hat does this character wear, if at all?

Character's Armor

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

CottonWolf posted:

omeg posted:

Now, is the "Digital Download of World Almanac" ($15 addon) included in a full digital tier of $50 or is it something else?
It should have been. I contacted them about that issue already, as I nearly ended up buying it again, and I'm pretty sure lots of people will have done.

Ah, gently caress. And I even thought I'd checked through the $50 tier to check that the Almanac wasn't included before I added that. Oh well.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I think Pillars of Eternity is a really good name.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

rope kid posted:

The question isn't "Would you like more companions at the cost of the quality of current companions?" The question is, "Would you like more companions at the cost of $$$$$$ which would be necessary to make them good companions?"

I think it's the additional time most of us are concerned about. It's very very rare that you can take on a bunch of work and simply add resources without hurting the schedule. You already have a pretty fleshed out feature list, with arguably 1-2 features that weren't really needed too. Feature creep through stretch goals is starting to be a real problem in crowd-funded games of late, and experienced leads like yourself should be able to stamp it out. While all of us dearly love Obsidian's work, most would agree that a lot of the games felt like "Oh if only they had an additional 3 months to finish it, polish it and iron out the kinks". Eternity is a great opportunity to show what you can do without publishers breathing down your back.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

quote:

Ah, gently caress. And I even thought I'd checked through the $50 tier to check that the Almanac wasn't included before I added that. Oh well.

poo poo I did the same thing :saddowns:
Excitement trumps reading comprehension.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
The PCWorld interview is bit of behemoth and there's lots of interesting stuff, like on character creation:

quote:

We’re actually doing our character creation screen right now and for most of the D&D games I’ve worked on it’s a very similar presentation. You get a stack of things you’re going to go through and you go through them one at a time and it’s on a black screen—it’s like navigating a bunch of GUIs. Not super cool, really. Whether or not it works, it’s not super engrossing. It’s not like, “Oh man, I’m gonna foxing get into this game! I am ready! Bunch of GUIs.” It’s super boring.

We’re trying to do something that immerses you a little bit more in the world, sets the scene a little bit more. As far as how things are presented, we’re trying to make them more isolated so when you’re picking them you’re not seeing like, “Oh my god, I have to go through this huge...” It’s more like, one at a time, “What do you want the sex of your character to be? And what do you want the race of your character to be? What do you want the class of your character to be?”

Mod-friendliness:

quote:

JS: It’s not mod-unfriendly...

There are certain elements of it that I think are probably going to be easier to mod than others. Environments are probably going to be pretty tough to author on your own, because even for us they’re complicated, they’re time-consuming to build, they’re very hi-res, they involve a number of special passes and things.

Other things I think are friendlier to modification, but we’ll have to see.

AB: It depends...we’re still investigating how much...since we’re using Unity there’s a lot of things we need to work around for modability, but we want to do everything we can do for the mod community. We’ll be really open, if they have questions. It’s nice because with publishers a lot of times they don’t like us talking about the technology and ways of doing things, but people can ask us on the forums and we can answer them.

Disposition system (confirmation of 10 types of personality responses they're tracking):

quote:

We have individual reputations for communities and stuff like that, and then we also have the personality ones which are more global, but fewer people will respond to those things—or rather, they’ll respond to them all over the world, and only specifically when they particularly care about that kind of reputation.

So for example, a cruel reputation—less people will necessarily care about that, but they’ll know about it all over the world. Once you build up enough of a rep, you’re that cruel guy. Or you’re really benevolent and nice.

But what we want to do is make it so that in Obsidian tradition, there are good things that come about from that and there are bad. If you keep choosing benevolent responses where you give things away for free or you’re just really nice or whatever, some people will be like “Oh, you’re a really cool guy, here’s a nice thing.” Other people will take advantage of you, they’ll assume you don’t need something because, “Oh, I assume you were going to do this for free because you’re the guy who’s really nice to everyone.” So sometimes it will work in your favor, sometimes it won’t.

Some more lore on animancers:

quote:

This area is a colonial era, more like a United States/Canada type of environment where the people that colonized it have had a rough past with the natives who live here, and only recently have they settled their disputes, they gained their independence, and part of that independence is that they’re practicing this scientific field of study called Animancy, and that’s the study of souls. Souls are a big deal in this world because people know that reincarnation happens, they don’t know a whole lot about it. They know that a person’s soul has a large influence on how they behave and who they are and things like that.

So Animancers are like the biologists of the soul. They study that stuff and they try to figure out ways they can understand and manipulate souls. And before this era of time, this was very taboo. There were a lot of religious prohibitions against it, there were a lot of political forces that were against it. Now that these countries in this part of the world are independent, they’re like “We should study this stuff. We think we can do a lot of good with this. We can fix insanity. We can adjust a person’s personality flaws. We can do all this stuff, and more importantly we can understand the nature of life and death and reincarnation.” Pretty important.

But there are still people within the country and outside the country that think this is morally wrong. That even if it’s not morally wrong, it’s something that the gods will punish people for studying. They think that there is bad news coming for the people that live here because of continued exploration of this technology.

And there are cool things that have happened. People have found out how to adjust and influence a person’s soul and personality through this. But there are also catastrophically bad things that have happened—created monsters and horrible creatures from it.

And on the topic of firearms in the game, I haven't read about this before, but there's a full spell/attack sound mechanic as well?

quote:

And we do have different actions create different sounds. If you’re sneaking around a dungeon and you have someone like, “Hey man,” [gunshot noise], everyone comes running.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ Oh that's pretty cool stuff. I dig it.

Anarkii posted:

I think it's the additional time most of us are concerned about. It's very very rare that you can take on a bunch of work and simply add resources without hurting the schedule. You already have a pretty fleshed out feature list, with arguably 1-2 features that weren't really needed too. Feature creep through stretch goals is starting to be a real problem in crowd-funded games of late, and experienced leads like yourself should be able to stamp it out. While all of us dearly love Obsidian's work, most would agree that a lot of the games felt like "Oh if only they had an additional 3 months to finish it, polish it and iron out the kinks". Eternity is a great opportunity to show what you can do without publishers breathing down your back.

Hear hear. But it's entirely possible that they are just needing more money. It is odd to open up a project to additional features when you've already extended the project timeline once/twice before, even if you think those features are p.cool.

Obsidian's a fan of their game too, I'm sure, but there's a lot going on already. :ohdear:

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Yeah read all of those earlier. The PCWorld one was the best of the lot, though Buck had some good questions as well. Didn't like the RPS interview very much (which wasn't a surprise).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

What we do when a publisher isn't breathing down our neck is make a game where a release date is not the primary motivating factor for saying we're done.

I get what you're saying, but I know too well that falling short can be as damaging as being spread too thin. The first expansion I worked on was Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter. It was a modest expansion with a small number of areas and a small number of quests. It was pretty stable when it was released, but it felt short, and cramped, and not fitting with the precedent established by Baldur's Gate, Tales of the Sword Coast, and Icewind Dale.

We've never talked internally about just "adding stuff". It's always been about two things: wilderness areas and companions (and no more than 3). If we were just making "a game", I wouldn't suggest adding these things, but we're not making "a game", we're making something we proposed as an heir to established traditions. I think adding a modest number of wilderness areas and companions would make the game feel more Baldur's Gate-y (in a good way), and that's worth discussing.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

It should have been. I contacted them about that issue already, as I nearly ended up buying it again, and I'm pretty sure lots of people will have done.

[/quote]

Now they added it to the tier description. But still, in $50 tier it's "Digital Campaign Almanac" and in addons it's "Digital Download of World Almanac" so maybe they are different. :v:

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
That's convinced me. Voted for.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

double post

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sensuki posted:

That's convinced me. Voted for.

Changed mine as well.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm cool with waiting a bit if we get more cool companions (i.e one of the best parts of an obsidian game)

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Those rat-men weren't inspired by Dark Sun Shattered Lands at all were they ?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Wasn't this map fixed during the kickstarter? I remember we having discussion about impossible dividing rivers VS natural combining rivers.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

jammu posted:

Wasn't this map fixed during the kickstarter? I remember we having discussion about impossible dividing rivers VS natural combining rivers.
It was! We will be replacing it with the version you see in the teaser soon.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

DrManiac posted:

I'm cool with waiting a bit if we get more cool companions (i.e one of the best parts of an obsidian game)

As long as they're going with the Obsidian tradition here, I don't have any reservations at all about it. If they're going back to the BG companions though, it's a bit hit or miss. There are good ones and there are bad ones.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

rizzen posted:

Hope there is a flamethrower.

Wizards are nature's flamethrower.

Edit: But wait! In order to flame a thing the wizard has to think about it, and everyone knows that thinking about spiders is icky. Disaster!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

rope kid posted:

It was! We will be replacing it with the version you see in the teaser soon.

Cool. I just tried GIS:ng the other one & every website (+this thread) just used this one.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Drifter posted:

Hear hear. But it's entirely possible that they are just needing more money. It is odd to open up a project to additional features when you've already extended the project timeline once/twice before, even if you think those features are p.cool.
Obsidian was very up front that the estimated release date on the Kickstarter page was a placeholder that they could not change after it ended. Using that extension to criticize what they are proposing now is not really fair. Personally, I do not care when it is released as long as the game is finished and of a high enough quality to silence the "Obsidian games are buggy" crowd.

Edit:

Sensuki posted:

Yeah read all of those earlier. The PCWorld one was the best of the lot, though Buck had some good questions as well. Didn't like the RPS interview very much (which wasn't a surprise).
The PCWorld one was great. The RPS interview sounded like the writer did not quite get the setting.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 11, 2013

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

How is the "Collector's Box Version" different from the retail box version, is it the cloth map and patches that are listed separately or is the box itself different?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Should we assume that, if new content stretch goals are added, any money collected from this point forward will be applied to them?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I know early on a bunch of us 4e D&D nerds were asking how class balance was being handled- mainly questions on casters vs. non-casters.

I followed the link on classes in the OP and remember that a bit- but has anything more concrete been laid out?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

grrarg posted:

Obsidian was very up front that the estimated release date on the Kickstarter page was a placeholder that they could not change after it ended. Using that extension to criticize what they are proposing now is not really fair. Personally, I do not care when it is released as long as the game is finished and of a high enough quality to silence the "Obsidian games are buggy" crowd.

Edit:

The PCWorld one was great. The RPS interview sounded like the writer did not quite get the setting.

Yeah, regarding the RPS preview/impression, it was strange that he'd be so gung ho about Wasteland but somewhat blase about this one. It didn't set any alarms ringing but you could tell there was nostalgia influencing his preferences. :shrug: Informative, otherwise.

You're also putting words in my mouth if you think I was referencing the Kickstarter date, which everyone who is at least even slightly informed knows was literally just a placeholder date. Give the people posting here, including me, more credit than that.

I know it's cheaper to presale than it is to take out a loan or something, but I would assume they already have some sort of SBA loan or alternate outcome streams already in place. I'm curious how much they'd need in addition to what they'd already set aside, and how much estimated time it takes them to process that additional content.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 11, 2013

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Airfoil posted:

Should we assume that, if new content stretch goals are added, any money collected from this point forward will be applied to them?

I certainly hope so since that was a large part of why I added that CA audio book.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Is this where I get to brag about being one of the cool kids who already got a physical reward?

:cool:

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Rivers aside, that world map is pretty sweet and seems like it was inspired by this kickass Forgotten Realms map from the 3rd ed. Campaign Setting.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
No way, it was totally inspired by the Dalelands just flipped.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hannibal Smith posted:

Is this where I get to brag about being one of the cool kids who already got a physical reward?

:cool:

There's no way to get my hands on that now, is there? I wish I'd had the money for some of that stuff ever since I got a real job.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
The most important thing on the map is still the Lake of Drow Nerd Tombs.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

xthetenth posted:

There's no way to get my hands on that now, is there? I wish I'd had the money for some of that stuff ever since I got a real job.
Sadly no, they were only available in the Loot Bag tier that was added near the end of the Kickstarter. There were only 30 slots and they were sold out about five minutes after they were posted. I'm pretty sure it was the only tier that shipped anything early and gave away stuff that wasn't related to Project Eternity. I got a really sweet New Vegas patch too.

I know I wasn't the only poster here that got one. Did any of you other guys do anything with the stuff you got sent?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Has anyone just been getting a generic "an error occurred processing your order" error when trying to place my $0 order?

Scorchy posted:

The PCWorld interview is bit of behemoth and there's lots of interesting stuff, like on character creation:

quote:

As far as how things are presented, we’re trying to make them more isolated so when you’re picking them you’re not seeing like, “Oh my god, I have to go through this huge...” It’s more like, one at a time, “What do you want the sex of your character to be? And what do you want the race of your character to be? What do you want the class of your character to be?”

Reminds me of VtM: Bloodlines, or maybe Bloodlines with the fan-patch. I can't remember, exactly.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

fermun posted:

No way, it was totally inspired by the Dalelands just flipped.
This is the correct answer.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

I see you've got rid of Raedric's Hold and put the Endless Paths kinda sorta near where it was.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Word of caution; I noticed that both tiers I looked at were missing stuff on the backer site compared to the KS page. The physical $250 tier was actually even missing pretty crucial stuff like the expansion/W2 download, in addition to couple other items. So be careful you don't add stuff you actually already have bought.

Edit: And now I got Password Recovery request in my email from the backer site that I definitely didn't make.

Zilkin fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The PC World article is so great. Also it's fun to contrast rope kid's writing/posting with the way he speaks extemporaneously.

• Locked thread