Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I love how Anemone couldn't have gotten her point across clearer in her conversation with Holland after the arrival of SPACE WIZARD! unless she drew diagrams for the guy, but Holland couldn't have missed it harder if he was in a cave and the point was in orbit.

I also love how the reactions of the audience go: SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE WIZARRRRRRRRRRD!:geno:, while on the other hand, Amuro:swoon:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

AradoBalanga posted:

but....the E7 units suck and aren't all that fun to use.

That's the point.

Like, seriously, that's the point. In the original E7, Holland and co were ex-military pros and Renton was piloting a super special prototype machine. In the E7 movie, Holland and co are a bunch of kids playing pretend and Renton is piloting this one not-particularly special robot. No poo poo they suck, if they were actually good that would be incredibly weird.

Like I said earlier in the thread, the only problem is that Banpresto made them suck a little too much. Either way they would have been screwed though since unit balance in Z2 is completely hosed.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 4, 2013

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Nirvash has three pilots with a very good spirit list and massive amounts of SP. It is pretty boring outside of that but it still performs above average before you start to spam spirits.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

A thing that seems to have been glossed over is that the specV only has two attacks. And they're both garbage. It takes skill to gently caress up your upgrade so bad it's worse than what you used to have.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Materant posted:

A thing that seems to have been glossed over is that the specV only has two attacks. And they're both garbage. It takes skill to gently caress up your upgrade so bad it's worse than what you used to have.

Look at their base power again, because the Bit Lasers are stronger than the Fin Funnels. It is definitely boring, but it is not weak.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

TK-31 posted:

Look at their base power again, because the Bit Lasers are stronger than the Fin Funnels. It is definitely boring, but it is not weak.

Actually, the Fin Funnels get an unlisted power boost from the Newtype ability since they're psycommu-based weapons. Of course, being psycommu-based weapons, Newtype 1 is required to use them. There's a good likelihood that a minimum-level Fin Funnel is still stronger than an equal-level Bit Laser. AND Bit Laser doesn't ignore barriers, which is thematically appropriate but still mechanically awful. And Renton's not that good of a pilot, subpilots be damned.

If Bit Laser used EN instead of ammo, Space Wizard might be passable thanks to EN Regen. What a trainwreck. No wonder it got shown up in its own upgrade stage (and its Cutscene Power was wasted on an Image grunt).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Spec V tries to pull the same "the pilot sucks but the machine is so amazingly good it makes up for it" the Spec III did, but it's a midgame unit instead of final chapter only so it can't actually raise the stakes that high. It was screwed from the start.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

ImpAtom posted:

He can and it rocks.

Yaaay! Caphi, PLEASE make Amuro in Turn A happen at least once.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sorry, but that should be saved for Z2.2. :colbert: Nothing better than ruining Ribbons' hopes and dreams of a Reborns vs Nu duel by having Amuro show up in the Turn A.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Sorry, but that should be saved for Z2.2. :colbert: Nothing better than ruining Ribbons' hopes and dreams of a Reborns vs Nu duel by having Amuro show up in the Turn A.

But I like Loran! I think he's a great fit for the moustache gundam.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Look, we all know that best pilot for the Turn-A is the one and only, Quattro Vagina Bajeena, end of story.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

Look, we all know that best pilot for the Turn-A is the one and only, Quattro Vagina Bajeena, end of story.
Every time I've gone through a Z-series game, be it the original, this one or Z2-2, I've put Quattro in the Turn A (because no Z game gives him the Sazabi, despite Amuro getting his Nu Gundam. So unfair!), and I don't think it was ever a wrong decision.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I usually put Loran in the X. The moon, get it? :v:

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Hellioning posted:

But I like Loran! I think he's a great fit for the moustache gundam.

I think Axel fits better, but he's not here right now

KDavisJr fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 4, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm struggling to think of a reason why Axel would fit the Turn A. There's zilch in common between the Soulgain and the Turn A, and Axel is about as different as you can get from Loran. Hell you could make a much better case for Lamia since at least she has the whole "weapon of destruction that decided to be something more" going for her.

Don't tell me it's because Axel's name starts with A, or that he comes from SRW A.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Because both Soulgain and Turn A have mustaches. :v:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I'm pretty sure it's a joke about moustaches.

edit: well poo poo

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Soulgain doesn't have a mustache actually, it just has two big fins on the sides of its face. You may as well say the Gespensts have mustaches.

EDIT: V I guess Gilliam's got a very flexible definition of a mustache then. :v:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 4, 2013

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

BlitzBlast posted:

The Soulgain doesn't have a mustache actually, it just has two big fins on the sides of its face. You may as well say the Gespensts have mustaches.

It had received the nickname "Mustache Man", during OG2, from Gilliam (White Wraith was also applicable).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: V I guess Gilliam's got a very flexible definition of a mustache then. :v:
Sideburns.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
So given all the talk about how awful Renton is, I thought I'd put some of my data to work.

http://tinyurl.com/nr9pabr

So I put a table of everyone's Level 21 stats together, then ranked them, excluding the Battleship Pilots. I then calculated some statistics and gave everyone a Letter grade for each stat based on how close they are to the mean. An A Grade in a stat means its 1.5 times the Average Absolute Deviation higher then the mean, a B is .5 times higher, a C is less then .5 times higher and greater then .5 times lower, etc. Some comments:

-Renton has terrible stats. I knew they were low, but drat. I guess he's got some good Spirits?

-Holland's stats seem to be pretty nice, but screw him.

-Setsuna has some surprisingly bad stats, too. He's beat out by Allelujah in everything but Defense. I guess it's made up for with Gundam Exia, but I guess I expected better out of a Protagonist.

-Chirico stats are amazing. Even his Defense and Melee are above average. Again, not surprising, but those are some *nice* numbers. At least the Scopedog's Weapons are cheap to upgrade.

-Heero's got some overall nice numbers. I'll have to check if this changes when he gets to Saisei-Hen, but he almost doesn't even need the Zero System.

-The Getter Pilots have some pretty great stats all around. Almost makes me wish they had separate units.

-Poor Luca. At least his Valkyrie has a Status Effect. Jamming System too, I guess.

Some neat stuff. I'm curious how these rankings will fall out later in the game (I thinkSimon gets +10 to all his stats after Kamina). Not to mention how the ZEUTH characters compare. At the very least this shows just how awful Renton's stats come out, comparatively.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Some neat stuff. I'm curious how these rankings will fall out later in the game (I thinkSimon gets +10 to all his stats after Kamina). Not to mention how the ZEUTH characters compare. At the very least this shows just how awful Renton's stats come out, comparatively.

Simon gets an across-the-board +10 after the Daigun event in chapter 33, including SP. Of course, if you manage to stick his Ace bonus he has a 35% virtual boost for the first several turns of most maps.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Taran_Wanderer posted:

-Setsuna has some surprisingly bad stats, too. He's beat out by Allelujah in everything but Defense. I guess it's made up for with Gundam Exia, but I guess I expected better out of a Protagonist.

That's actually not too surprising. In Gundam 00's first season, he's really not that good of a pilot. Pretty much every one of his ace opponents point this out.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Taran_Wanderer posted:

-Renton has terrible stats. I knew they were low, but drat. I guess he's got some good Spirits?

I don't know for sure how it plays out in Z2 but, in Z, Renton and Gainer sort-of went through a "Magikarp Power" growth (like Ibis, in OGs); they start off abysmal in all stats but their status growth increases a lot more than the other pilots' as they level up - to the point where they're great pilots by the end.

I hope that's the case here because, if it isn't, then this Renton sucks even more that I thought.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 4, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Montegoraon posted:

That's actually not too surprising. In Gundam 00's first season, he's really not that good of a pilot. Pretty much every one of his ace opponents point this out.

It's kind of a thing in 00 Season 1 that none of the Celestial Being pilots are the best, they get by through their overpowered Gundams.

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009

Brunom1 posted:

I don't know for sure how it plays out in Z2 but, in Z, Renton and Gainer sort-of went through a "Magikarp Power" growth (like Ibis, in OGs); they start off abysmal in all stats but their status growth increases a lot more than the other pilots' as they level up - to the point where they're great pilots by the end.

I hope that's the case here because, if it isn't, then this Renton sucks even more that I thought.

The only way this Renton could suck worse is if he got kicked around like TV Renton. And this is coming from someone who doesn't utterly hate the movie. To me it's boring as crap except for one part which was just offensive to me.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Happily, we've got the thumbs-up from Elgan to move in on that Red Shoulder base. With luck, Chirico's girlfriend will be in there too. Where is Chirico, anyway? The GOONZ still can't believe he's warmed enough to really fight for someone.

Chirico's old comrades have reminded him of some painful memories, memories he'll have to confront.

And here they are: Gregore the leader, Murza the grumpy one, and Byman the glib one. I think that's how they assign squads now. We'll be moving together on this operation, so we'll all have to get along.

The former Red Shoulders do not like being reminded of the fact, and Crowe again figures they've got a bone to pick with their former squadron. This'll be an interesting confrontation. Zero, on the other hand, asks them directly; Murza, the grumpy one, says it's none of our business, but Gregore rather thinks it'd be a good idea to show his hand. It's fairly prosaic, anyway; the Red Shoulders treated them like total crap before scattering them to the winds, where they "had a taste of Hell." Chirico has an idea of just how low they got; it must have been just as hellish as what he went through since that fateful mission on Rid. That's where Gregore, in particular, got that scar on his brow - and he says he's lucky just to have made it out alive. And Murza, worst of all, found his whole family murdered after his deployment on claims they'd accessed private data on that very mission. Okay, I guess that's why he's so grumpy. Byman won't even say what happened to him.

So that's their story; they've just got back together and they want revenge on the Red Shoulders. Are we in? Of course we are; we've got our own problems with the Red Shoulders. It's not going to be easy, though; the enemy force is going to be Yolan Pailsen's personal guard. Chirico's met Pailsen himself, once, before the quake. It was in his last mission with the Berkhoff squad, storming a Valarant base on planet Monad...

Berkhoff's team is one big dysfunction; it's a deserter (Nol Berkhoff himself) leading two other deserters and an unstable psychopath. Zaki, the coward, knows the newbie Chirico was a Red Shoulder, and of all the soiled pasts in this squadron, that might be the dirtiest of all. Speaking of the Red Shoulders, we learn about the very top brass of the Shoulders, the Bloodsuckers. Anyway, Chirico explains that Yolan Pailsen himself assigned Chirico and has him under observation - allegedly because he's what Pailsen calls a Abnormal Survivor, a being with a freak one in 25-billion mutation that warps causality so that they cannot die. Godan, the chameleon, rightly points out that that's complete bullshit. Chirico agrees, but it is strange that not one person has died despite warships, assassins, polar storms, and more, isn't it?

So what are the rest of them for? Berkhoff realizes that Pailsen assigned Chirico to them to test the whole squad - to see if they had the same properties as Chirico. And it looks awfully like the answer is yes, all five of them are Abnormal Survivors. Pailsen picked out a team of people who have survived long odds, even if by hiding or deserting, and put them to the acid test. He must not have believed that Chirico was the only one in the entire galaxy.

The Valarant find the squad, and Chirico warns them not to get cocky. Abnormal Survivors are hard to kill, but they can be wounded and hurt just like anyone else.

And it's playable! All we have to do is wipe out the Valarant without breaking the universe by letting any of these Survivors die, but there's a hidden, optional objective: each member of Berkhoff's squad needs to score at least one kill.

Curiously, no one else actually has Chirico's ??? skill. Perhaps they don't know how to use it.

This being a flashback, Chirico himself has standardized upgrades and none of the skills or equipment his future self has learned in GOONZ.

Dare Kochak's the one without Strike or Focus, so we put him with the commander, Berkhoff.

Chirico can operate just fine on his own.

And that leaves Zaki and Godan together.

Godan gets his kill. Chirico wipes out a squad himself.

There's Berkhoff's.

And with Zaki's, the Valarant troops are eliminated.

But suddenly, reinforcements get the jump on the squad and shoot Kochak before anyone can return fire. His Scopedog collapses even as he screams that he can't die.

More arrive. Godan confidently charges in, swearing he won't meet the same end as Kochak...

But does.

Berkhoff took a hit too, and he groans that Chirico and Zaki should escape. They're the special ones, he and the other two weren't, but he can cover them with the little time he has left. Zaki howls as Chirico drags him away...

The Quent artifact at the planet's core is gonna blow, but Zaki's got a gun on Chirico. This isn't the first time he's felt compelled to kill Chirico, and he knows drat well he's being mind-controlled, but he's not the master of his own body right now. If Chirico really is a Abnormal Survivor, though, Zaki knows he'll survive this - and he wants Chirico to find out who's controlling him, who wants Chirico dead, and eliminate them.

Then, with the last of his strength, he turns the gun on himself.

Chirico can no longer keep that memory from himself; Yolan Pailsen's involvement in the Abnormal Survivor experiment is the only clue he has to Zaki's last wish. Like Gregore, the strings of his past pull him into battle with the Red Shoulders. "But will cutting those bonds let me live with Fiana in peace?"

Back in the present, Gregore has a plan to add the Red Shoulders' weaponry and boost systems to the Turbo Custom design. It's an audacious loadout, but Byman figures their squad, if no one else, should be ble to pull it off. Besides, they'll tune up the Scopedog's core as well. In the meantime, we should scout the base and prepare for the assault. Pailsen seems to have help from his backers - and it sounds like a Gundam. We came in the hopes that we'd find a clue to the Celestial Being traitor, and it looks like we nailed it. Murza growls that we can do whatever we want with the Gundam, but he wants Pailsen's head himself.

Byman tells him not to be stupid, and Murza quits on the spot. If that's how Byman's going to be, he's not fighting by his side. So Byman calls him a chicken, and Murza slugs him.

And that's when it comes out that Byman has a prosthetic arm. He wasn't going to bring it up (Gregore and Chirico both tell him not to be stupid), but he promises there's enough strength and skill in it to give Pailsen one.

Before the mission, Chirico reflects that Yolan Pailsen is definitely the one who's been pulling the strings that have pulled his fate in every direction. He'll have to face his dark, forgotten past if he wants a future with Fiana...

Speaking of, Fiana awakens a newborn PS and tells him his name is Ypsilon. She says her own name is Proto One (but almost says Fiana).

Ypsilon's brain has been programmed with the skills to fight, but not the human faculties of experience and judgment. Someone has to teach him, but Boro isn't sure Proto One should be the one to do it. The twins, Aron and Gran, don't think Proto One's problems will prevent her from interfacing with Ypsilon.

Pailsen himself (it's this guy) agrees, it can't be anyone but Proto One.

Fiana herself was a fan of his idea to use emotions as part of PSs, but now she thinks that they have no place in a creature created for war - mainly because of the pain and confusion they've sown in her. She would be happier if she hadn't seen Chirico before she was born, right?

"Don't lie to yourself," says Pailsen. "You're in love."

And it's part of his experiment now anyway. He wants to see if she can transcend her humanity even with her emotions weighing her down. Like Chirico, who's learned to wield his power and throw off his yoke despite his human frailty and doubt and fear. Pailsen tried to kill him, over and over, and he survived. So now he has Ypsilon, and he wants Ypsilon trained to fight intelligently, based on training and reason rather than instinct - so he can be an even more perfect soldier than Chirico.

Fiana wails "why?" Pailsen replies, because Chirico has to be slain by a human's hand.

Riemann reports that GOONZ is moving on the base. Pailsen murmurs that it was worth taking that soldier on...

Ali, in his usual glib way, faintly resents being used as bait, but Pailsen also recognizes that if he was just a little more disciplined, he might be a perfect soldier himself. As it stands, Ali's free to fight as he wishes. Riemann is also taking his forces out to meet us at the gate.

To Fiana's horror, they're serious about crushing GOONZ and Chirico with them - it's what Pailsen's backer wants anyway. Ypsilon, however, will not be deploying yet. He's too immature for now. But if Chirico survives, then next time...

Chapter 39: The Last Red Shoulder

Of course, we've made it into the base. Byman is about to apologize to Murza, but Gregore stops them. Better to save that so they'll have a reason to live through this.

The Bloodsuckers come out to meet us, along with Ali's Throne Zwei. GOONZ still believes they were on the money, just as Pailsen predicted.

Riemann's here too, and he's still set on seeing Chirico dead!

So let's take 'em all down.

The Bloodsuckers' custom ATs are also called Bloodsuckers, and they're incredibly high-spec even for ATs. This can be fixed with Strike or Sense, but for once, Focus alone isn't enough.

It's a pack of Pailsen's lapdogs!
Didn't think there'd be this many of them still kicking!
Well, we'll fix that even if it's the last thing we do!

Small units can handle them, but they're tough, too.

Oh yeah, the Turbo Custom Last Red Shoulder Scopedog combines many of the strengths of the TC and RSC setups. It's very convenient.

(Fiana... please, if you know I'm coming, get out of here...)

An army of evasive units with decent HP and Prevail. What's not to love?

Luckily, we have Karen (Strike, defenses, high damage output). She becomes the second non-dead GOON to gain the power of Valor.

And Mazinger (who is, amazingly, medium).

Anyway, there's not that many of them.

Ypsilon's programming is itching to join the battle he was born for, but Fiana says that before he can fight, he has to learn how to love - not only another human, but all humans and all other living things. Ypsilon can't comprehend what she's talking about and runs away.

Anyway, my GOONZ are overpowered, so it takes about a turn to wipe out most of the Red Shoulders...

Leaving Riemann, who has sat on his rear end despite his Command aura; Sachez, who's just dicking around; and a couple of jerks who don't matter.

Riemann, at least, is finally moving.

You must die! You have to die![/img]

I'm not about to let myself die here.

You know, I just came out to play, but if you're out here, that's a whole different story!
What... what do you consider battle?
The best game in the world... 'cause you're both putting your own lives in the pot!

Setsuna triggers his Block skill with his sword.

And then takes advantage of his gigantic damage boost.

Ali al-Sachez! You...
Come and get me if you can, sniper! But it looks like you're still hurt, aren't you?
Lockon, don't push yourself! Lockon, don't push yourself!
If that's what it takes to take him down! I'll make him pay!

That should be Setsuna-safe.

Countered. Ow.

And he didn't even finish the job.

But that's what supports are for. Setsuna loots a Quentian Sensor; it must have been part of Ali's contract with Pailsen.

Dammit, guess I played too hard.
It was a good time, though. See ya later, GOONZ.
Ali al-Sachez...
Spreading war for his own amusement... I'll make sure he doesn't get away with this.

Moving on, it turns out Gregore doesn't have any form of Strike, so I'm dropping Ozma's Command here to give him a shot at hitting Riemann.

Incidentally, what does he have? Focus, Accel, Invincible, Analyze, Spirit, and Fury - a decent soldier's set. He comes with Chain Actions and his Ace bonus (he has one?) gives him Ammo Save. On the other hand, he's only staying for this chapter.

Sgt. Maj. Gregore!
There's no rank here, Riemann! We're not Red Shoulders anymore!
You've done more than enough for us already!
If you didn't like us, you could have just transferred us out!
You were strong enough to catch his Excellency's eye, but you could not understand his goal! You weren't worthy to serve!
Well, watch those unworthy crush the Red Shoulders you're so proud of!

Gregore has Platoon Combat instead of Assault Combat.

It's not too late to go running back to your mommy.

Chirico finishes him with no more fanfare (looting a Gigilium Chip). He's quite dead. There's more to get to this chapter. Gregore still wants Pailsen's head...

Ypsilon dashes out in a Bloodsucker and clips Gregore's Scopedog - not fatally, but enough that everyone can see that's no ordinary human in there. GOONZ - including Chirico - assumes it must be the only Perfect Soldier they know of: Fiana! Does she not recognize him somehow? He'll have to disable her mech.

Funny story - the SR point is to take it out entirely. There are two complications: the stage ends if he's left with less than 8000 HP, and now that we've done the flashback thing, we also have to take out Ypsilon with Chirico's attack.

There's still room to hit him, at least.

Maybe not so much (the Hurricane was just to knock down his armor).

Just about perfect.

So he's definitely going for Chirico, but unfortunately, despite my preparation, I forgot they're both at too long range to use anything interesting.

Can you hear me, Fiana? It's me! Don't you know who I am?
!
(What if it's not Fiana? But those reactions... that's no ordinary human.)
(It couldn't be... another PS?)

Looks like it's not going to work without a critical. I'll have to load and let Chirico defend and then attack with the new Assault Combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHS62jMqt44

Yeah, like that.

Chirico learns Soul, the better version of Valor.

Ypsilon screams and flees; still not sure whether it's Fiana, Chirico chases him.

But finds Yolan Pailsen.

Did you come for Proto One?
You're up against nothing less than my dream. She's a perfect soldier.
You'll never defeat her.
I appreciate the tip. Do you really think we'll give up so easily?
Do you really think you can kill me?
I have to, or I'll regret it forever.

Ypsilon comes back, still screaming, and wrecks Chirico's AT. Chirico continues yelling at it as if it's Fiana until the machine pops open, leaving Ypsilon's face clearly visible. Pailsen yells at Ypsilon to kill him...

But Fiana begs them not to. Pailsen mutters that he was wrong, that his experiments were too dangerous for mans' hands, Chirico most of all.

Fiana leaps bodily between Chirico and Ypsilon's AT and cries that she'll protect him with her own life. "This is... the thing called love!"

Pailsen shouts that he'll just kill Chirico himself...

But the opportunity was just what Gregore's squad was waiting for; they leap in front of Chirico and gun Pailsen down. Then they turn their weapons on the Perfect Soldiers. Chirico shouts not to shoot, and Ypsilon grabs Fiana and drives away.

So ended the lives of Riemann and Pailsen, not to mention the Bloodsuckers; our large allies outside report that the remaining Red Shoulders have abandoned the base, too. This was a victory, but not for Chirico...

Rochina knew Pailsen well, and can't believe even he didn't have the power to eliminate Chirico. But that's all right, he has a new ally - "a God with enough power to alter the fate of even Chirico Cuvie, Abnormal Survivor." He's become a servant of that creature, along with the rest of their secret society, and he swears to Pailsen that they'll carry out his last wish and end Chirico's life.

Good lord, it's literally called the Secret Society. Anyway, Kira's trying to hack their computers, but the Red Shoulders set the data to wipe itself when they jumped ship. At least we know that the PMC is connected to the CB traitor, and the traitor to the U. N. Forces, and whoever the mysterious puppetmaster is, they're trying to change the fate of the world.

Luckily, we've managed to recover one scrap of data, but it's not good. It suggests that Pailsen and his Red Shoulders were not the masterminds here, but one arm of a much vaster conspiracy. This group was the one who took the PS from Gilgamesh and sent her to Area 11 for testing. The Enforcers, and Pailsen, were just pawns of the Secret Society. Anyway, the ominous and silly words "Secret Society" and the fact that Pailsen had a backer (the CB traitor again, perhaps?) are all we have to go on right now. Though it's likely that the backer is also someone with ties to the U. N., meaning most likely with ties to the highest echelons of one or the three empires. That's the guy who has control of the UNF right now and is trying to change the world with it.

A chilling possibility comes up: Could it be Elgan Roddick?

Team Gregore is glad to have made it out alive; they certainly didn't expect to, and now they're not sure where to go. Maybe they'll turn their skills to Battling; they are capable of thrashing the Red Shoulders, and Gotho, the old jackal, has already made them an offer. Chirico, on the other hand, has found a home with us, and he still has to find Fiana. They understand - if anything, they're impressed he's come to the point where he'll fight for a girl.

Oh, and (the reward for jumping through all those secret hoops this chapter) they found a nice spaceworthy AT hiding in the base's hangar and fixed it up for Chirico. I'll say a word for it after the chapter.

Chirico came to terms with one thing from his past today, but in exchange, his future only grows more uncertain. The revelations of Ypsilon and the Secret Society, and the fact that they have Fiana... "As I saw my old comrades leave, I felt like I was left alone..."

Oh, god, these two are going to be cryptic again.

You met the keeper, I see.
It was well worth coming to this world.
And I found two Spheres, too.
Do as you wish. I have no wish to associate with you.
So you say, but I think you need my help.
You really don't change. It's almost boring.
Think what you like. I am me.
Then let me give you a hint. Something big's about to happen.
Saotome Laboratory in Japan, you mean.
I can feel it... the herald of Armageddon.

Oh, and here's our prize, a new mech: the Scopedog TC-ISS.

It's light on weaponry compared to the Red Shoulder models, but far from bad, and it's as fast as the TC (which, by the way, has been replaced completely by the TC-LRS). Mainly, its gyroscopic stabilizer means it's the only Scopedog worth anything in space (though you could attach a Thruster Module manually). It comes with the upgrades Chirico's basic Scopedog had, but from here on out, it's a different mech.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 10, 2013

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
What's the ISS stand for?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Caphi posted:

Riemann, at least, is finally moving.

[timg]http://lpix.org/1521852/20131209184006_0.bmp.jpg

[img]http://lpix.org/907888/riemann.jpg[/timg] You must die! You have to die![/img]

You've misplaces an img tag here, also that's a lot of hoops to jump through for a mech you just got an upgraded version of is Chirico the only one who can pilot any of them right now?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ardeem posted:

You've misplaces an img tag here, also that's a lot of hoops to jump through for a mech you just got an upgraded version of is Chirico the only one who can pilot any of them right now?

Whoops.

Anyway, yeah, it's an alternate for Chirico's Scopedog. It's probably about as good as the LRS overall; it's a little faster and has a little more firepower, but it has fewer weapons and less total range. Speed is always good for Chirico but the LRS has quite a bit of that too. It's got an S on the ground, same as the regular Scopedog, so it's not like it's worse.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

I really like the TC-ISS, even though it loses on range, its still so reliable (for a scopedog) and it's got a badass dynamic finisher.

Not as badass as Chiriko's new theme, though!

:rock:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

I really like the TC-ISS, even though it loses on range, its still so reliable (for a scopedog) and it's got a badass dynamic finisher.

He loses one range on his longest attack, but his most powerful move gains a range, so I think he's better off overall. I usually just give him a weapon range +1 anyway, so I don't think I ever noticed.

Caphi posted:

And Mazinger (who is, amazingly, medium).

Good ol' Mazinger. Such massive power in a (comparatively) tiny package. Now, where's that size comparison chart of the Super Robots when you need it....

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Would it be possible to get a video of Platoon Combat?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Wounded Land posted:

Would it be possible to get a video of Platoon Combat?

I'll do one tonight! I can still go back to my mid-save and do it on Ypsilon. It doesn't have any special finisher animations, anyway.

Speaking of which, Assault Combat from the LRS and the ISS are the only ones with "dynamic kill" animations (and they're both different), so I'll probably use the ISS at least once for that alone.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPI92hpoAdI

Caphi fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 11, 2013

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Super Robot PSA: The SRW Z1 let's play has started over here.

Mission 1 for both Rand and Setsuko has already been posted.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Super Robot PSA: The SRW Z1 let's play has started over here.

Mission 1 for both Rand and Setsuko has already been posted.
And you have no idea how happy this makes me.

Also Platoon Combat is surprisingly boring. Then again, that still is a lot of effort for an attack that only appears in a single stage and you're likely to never see.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I have absolutely no idea what is going on with Chirico's plot line. So, is he a god because fate makes him invincible, unless he fights someone else who is also invincible because genetics? How does that even work? Where the heck do all the people related to him even keep coming from? Are there going to be relevant enough in the future to try and remember who the heck they are?

Its like, the smaller the mechs in a series are, the more convoluted its plot...

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

I have absolutely no idea what is going on with Chirico's plot line. So, is he a god because fate makes him invincible, unless he fights someone else who is also invincible because genetics? How does that even work? Where the heck do all the people related to him even keep coming from? Are there going to be relevant enough in the future to try and remember who the heck they are?

Its like, the smaller the mechs in a series are, the more convoluted its plot...

Pailsen Files is a pretty long OVA series that gets summed up in the first 15 minutes of this stage, so of course it only kinda sorta makes sense. Z2.2 will have a more conclusive (though perhaps less satisfying) answer to your questions.

(most characters related to his plot aren't really worth remembering, no)

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 11, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

thetruegentleman posted:

I believe you need to study the greatest film of our time, Highlander, then imagine it as a mecha anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

TwoPair posted:

I believe you need to study the greatest film of our time, Highlander, then imagine it as a mecha anime.

That now makes a lot more sense. Replace swords with scopedogs.

• Locked thread