Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Docjowles posted:

It's going to be a lot harder to negotiate for an entry-level job since the applicant pool is bigger. But if you can, get them to make the opening salary offer. If you start the bidding, whatever you lead with sets the upper bound for the negotiation. If you throw out a number below what they were going to offer, you just screwed yourself out of :20bux:. Whereas if they open things, you can make a counter offer upwards.

wintermuteCF posted:

don't discuss salary in the first interview unless they bring it up first.

This is great advice. I'm going to try to get them to offer me a salary instead of giving one I just made up randomly.

Count Sacula posted:

To Cardboard Fox, $35K seems reasonable but in all honesty getting that first year of experience is SOOO important that I would take it at $30 if I were you. Negotiating salary is an art form for sure, but I really wouldn't think about doing it in your shoes. You don't have proven experience (and they are giving you an opp to get it) so all the risk is theirs. Kick rear end in the interview and hope that they make you a reasonable offer. If they ask you what you are looking for, just say that you have noticed that entry level helpdesk jobs seem to hover in the $35-38K range.
I definitely understand my position, and the simple fact that they are giving me an opportunity is a miracle. I'd be crazy to say no to $30,000 considering I have no real IT business experience.

Thanks for all the advice as always guys. I'm going to be getting ready for the interview and doing more lab work so I don't make a fool out of myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

HalloKitty posted:

What fresh hell is this? Surely you want every PC to be as clean and replaceable at any time as possible!

I'm guessing that Bob Morale's company is full of people in policy setting positions that have grown up being able to blame their terrible performance on the computers, or a system crash, and they don't want that option to go away any time soon.

"Ah yeah you see I don't have those numbers you wanted because my computer crashed and it took those lazy IT guys half a day to get everything back again"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Caged posted:

I'm guessing that Bob Morale's company is full of people in policy setting positions that have grown up being able to blame their terrible performance on the computers, or a system crash, and they don't want that option to go away any time soon.

"Ah yeah you see I don't have those numbers you wanted because my computer crashed and it took those lazy IT guys half a day to get everything back again"

"If we force people to save on the network and not their computer, they won't do it."

:haw:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's almost like people who have to manage staff don't understand that the same processes that mean people don't poo poo on their desks would also work quite well to ensure that things are done right when it comes to saving files.

But computers are hard can't you just do it for me?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

What kind of salary range should one be looking at with VCP5/MCSE and lets say a few years of experience included.

I just finished my VCP5 class, and if I look for another job I'm not taking anything less than 75K and this is in Texas. I would have VCP5/MCSE 2003/MCITP:EA and 8+ years of experience.

I told my boss during this years review I need a road map for a promotion to a Sr. title and I'm expecting to be in the 80K range and he didn't even blink. I talked to a guy on tech-exams who landed a job with similar qualifications in Louisiana and he's making 90K.

Depending on the market and your qualifications I would be expecting 75 to 90K. As a fellow Windows guy I feel that the 6 figure mark is hard to get over without bringing additional skills to the table (Linux, Storage, Networking).

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Bob Morales posted:

"If we force people to save on the network and not their computer, they won't do it."

:haw:

Nowadays, you can just set their "my documents" to be on a network share and they don't even know it.
Of course, what happens next is that you find out users save stuff all over the loving place: desktop, deleted-items folder in Outlook, and all sorts of creative paths.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Alfajor posted:

Nowadays, you can just set their "my documents" to be on a network share and they don't even know it.
Of course, what happens next is that you find out users save stuff all over the loving place: desktop, deleted-items folder in Outlook, and all sorts of creative paths.

I keep all my poo poo in

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm going to save all my stuff on a USB stick and then lose it and somehow IT will take the poo poo for it.

And once I learn that USB sticks can get lost, I will edit Outlook attachments and just click save when I'm done, and blame IT for that as well.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I wanted to share this with you all, as a humorous glimpse into what it's like on the other side.

This guy was a desktop guy that dabbled in development, and I went through great lengths to land him a junior dev role at a local company. Not 1 month into his role, without talking to me first, he sends me this email and copies EVERY SINGLE member of the dev team and his manager, aka our client. Needless to say I'm a lot more careful about taking chances on people now.

Take a long drink from this cup of crazy.

==========================================

email subject: "Heart of Darkness"

Count Sacula,

There is a situation that requires your attention and I cannot let it go on any longer. After very careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I must respectfully resign my position. I am so sorry this has happened, but I see no other honorable way out. I cannot express enough gratitude for your efforts and the efforts and patience of the people at [company redacted]. The people there are some of the finest I have ever met and the work is most fascinating, but my progress is unacceptable by any reasonable standards. I do not have the ability at this point to dive into and take ownership of a suite of highly complex and sophisticated applications. Small organizations do not have room for unproductive employees. I have tried my best and have used every waking hour of my days and nights in order to overcome the incredible learning curve associated with the Junior Developer position at [company redacted]. Have expressed my difficulties on multiple occasions and have been met with a certain resistance to "face the facts of life". They truly need someone with more experience than I. This is not a confidence nor self-esteem issue. I just don’t have what it takes to help them. I refuse to be an ineffectual employee. I just didn't have the heart to mention this previously because I really wanted this to work out, but if I don't take action now; it would be considered very irresponsible.
Dedication and a "can do" attitude can only take you but so far. According to my calculations I would need another year's experience just to be able to survive in that type of environment. It also appears to me that they have an array of very capable people, but only one person there truly understands the inner workings of their most sophisticated products. He never should have been allowed to develop such applications without checks to ensure sure footed manageability and maintainability. After spending days looking over their code and noticing maybe 100 lines of documentation for every 100,000 lines of code; I cannot fathom how anyone with an I.Q. under 160 could possibly grasp such an overwhelming amount of code without documentation or some kind of model emulation. I have mentioned this on more than one occasion and they just don't believe it and don't seem to understand that you cannot throw an entry level person into a mid-level experience position with little to go on and expect fruitful results. You don't have to take my word for it, use your resources and ask around. I am 100% confident in my assertions. I urge you to speak with them in order to help them find the right person for the position involved, because one thing is for sure; they are most definitely not listening to what I am saying.
I am highly honored to have been given the chance of a lifetime, but it would be a great disservice to them to allow this to continue any further. I recall that [dev manager] likes to call the developers “men”. I’m not so sure the others know exactly what is meant by that, but I do. If you are to be considered a man you must take responsibility for your actions; and I know that all too well. The underlying theme to one of the greatest novels ever written overshadows that very idea. The author is Joseph Conrad and the title is the subject of this e-mail.

James D Bagg
Web Developer
[company redacted]

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

What fresh hell is this? Surely you want every PC to be as clean and replaceable at any time as possible!
Don't be silly now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Caged posted:

It's almost like people who have to manage staff don't understand that the same processes that mean people don't poo poo on their desks would also work quite well to ensure that things are done right when it comes to saving files.

Bob Morales' Boss posted:

So, are you going to send out listings to everyone monthly?

You need to develop a template email that you can pop this report into that explains why they are getting this and what you expect from them in return.
No loving way. #1, it's not department managers job to worry about data backups. It's our job (the IT department). #2, nobody is ever going to get back to me on this and I'll end up chasing people around to get lists of who's still working here and for most departments that's not going to change.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd be better served just sending a "save your work on the loving network shares, for gently caress's sake" email every month instead of that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Count Sacula posted:

I wanted to share this with you all, as a humorous glimpse into what it's like on the other side.

This guy was a desktop guy that dabbled in development, and I went through great lengths to land him a junior dev role at a local company. Not 1 month into his role, without talking to me first, he sends me this email and copies EVERY SINGLE member of the dev team and his manager, aka our client. Needless to say I'm a lot more careful about taking chances on people now.

Take a long drink from this cup of crazy.
Turns out you might need to pair with another programmer or ask questions about parts of the stack you don't understand -- who knew?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

Turns out you might need to pair with another programmer or ask questions about parts of the stack you don't understand -- who knew?

My ability to read code gives me the ability to instantly comprehend how 100k LOC Java Design Patterns AbstractFactoryFactory codebases work, and I have a clause in my contract which promises dramatic parting emails within 48 hours of starting a position if I cannot complete RFEs in less than 30 minutes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Misogynist posted:

This is fun when you work with programmers who don't respond to email when you ask questions and are pretty much just anti-social and hide behind headphones and sneak out when you're not looking.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Bob Morales posted:

This is fun when you work with programmers who don't respond to email when you ask questions and are pretty much just anti-social and hide behind headphones and sneak out when you're not looking.

Thats where the CYA emails come in. "Hey! sorry you slipped out before I could speak to you today. Lets touch base tomorrow so we can get this resolved." and copying managers as appropriate.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Blue_monday posted:

Thats where the CYA emails come in. "Hey! sorry you slipped out before I could speak to you today. Lets touch base tomorrow so we can get this resolved." and copying managers as appropriate.

This actually doesn't help at all unless it's for a specific issue or you want to get your manager involved every time you need something.

There's a middle ground between stumbling your way through an unfamiliar codebase and sending Conrad-inspired emails when you fail and CCing your manager every time your senior dev doesn't respond, but it's tough for juniors who don't know when they should research and when they should ask and seniors who are :smug:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Alfajor posted:

We had a woman two jobs ago who would save things to her C drive because, despite us telling her otherwise numerous times, she thought she couldn't take her files home with her if she stored them in her My Documents folded, which used ActiveSync. She'd been told to stop several times; lo and behold, one day she came is saying that her computer wouldn't start and was making a clicking noise.

Welp.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Thanks for the advice on KeePass guys, I just sent off my sales pitch email to the Security team.

Hopefully it works out really well and I get to be the big hero.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Odd question, I am the only IBM iSeries/AS400 goon?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Dealt with them but I wouldn't put them on my resume

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Dealt with them but I wouldn't put them on my resume

Why not?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Why not?

I don't want to deal with that stuff any more than I had to.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

psydude posted:

We had a woman two jobs ago who would save things to her C drive because, despite us telling her otherwise numerous times, she thought she couldn't take her files home with her if she stored them in her My Documents folded, which used ActiveSync. She'd been told to stop several times; lo and behold, one day she came is saying that her computer wouldn't start and was making a clicking noise.

Welp.

Worked with a guy who 'didn't trust hard drives', he was a weird rear end 'engineer' who did our PLC programming and was into 3800 Fieros and building velodrome bikes even though he was about 300lbs and hadn't rode a bike in 25 years. Saved all his poo poo to a USB stick, one day it sounded like there were a bunch of bb's in his laptop...

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
First time using icacls, accidentally wiped out the ACLs to an entire domains file repository during business hours. I was under pressure from multiple sources and in too much of a hurry so I didn't read the syntax carefully enough, thank god for backups.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

I work with Stratton Warren which I think is sorta based on AS400.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tab8715 posted:

Nope. We have 1 full time RPG programmer on staff for our AS400 and is currently contracting out more work specifically for it. Our entire ERP system is custom built AS400 programs. We're upgrading the server next year too. Best part? I have absolutely nothing to do with it being the VMWare/Network/Windows guy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I don't want to deal with that stuff any more than I had to.

That's me and phones.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

:yotj: Just received an Offer of Employment! Reading through it tonight and handing in notice tomorrow. Feels good man.

Senior Engineer position + huge pay rise :)

Amusingly I asked for $X and they offered me $X +15k which has blown my mind.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
That's nice of them, you don't hear that too often. Congrats!

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
That's awesome. For that kind of money they may expect you to put out, resist all temptation.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Cool got laid off this morning...

So yeah that happened, really did not see that coming.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Christmas loving layoffs. Man that sucks.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
bleh

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Yeah, it sucks I am appearently getting my last 2 paychecks and benefits through the end of the month but yeah now I really gotta find something else.

Do you think it was related to your communication of not being happy with your role?

Sucks you got laid, but at least you get 2 paychecks (1 month?) of pay and benefits. Rough time though, since hiring can be slow over the holiday.

You shouldn't have a hard time though. You're pretty smart.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Dilbert, you hated your job. This is good thing. Go out there and :yotj:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cool got laid off this morning...

So yeah that happened, really did not see that coming.

It sucks right now, but in 6 months I think you'll feel it was for the better. I've only been fired/let go twice in my life, both times before I started my professional career, and in the moment I thought it was terrible, but after a while it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
:(

wintermuteCF posted:

Dilbert, you hated your job. This is good thing. Go out there and :yotj:
Dilbert may have hated his job, but his landlord loved it. Or put another way, I always loved this quote - "he told me, the money comes later. I told him my bills come every month, right on time."

I still think we're all working for Dilbert within 5 years so this'll just be a momentary hiccup in his plans for world domination.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

code:
  2 JEFF       adm             96 Dec 27  2007 REGFILE_SALES_FILE.2008
drwxrwxrwx   2 JEFF       adm             96 Dec 23  2008 REGFILE_SALES_FILE.2009
drwxrwxrwx   2 JEFF       adm             96 Dec 29  2009 REGFILE_SALES_FILE.2010
drwxrwxrwx   2 root       sys             96 Dec 29  2010 REGFILE_SALES_FILE.2011
drwxrwxrwx   2 JEFF       adm             96 Dec 21  2011 REGFILE_SALES_FILE.2012
drwxrwxrwx   2 JEFF       adm             96 Dec 21  2012 REGFILE_SALES_FILE.2013
hp-ux2$ pwd
/uv3/data/uv.files/part.files
hp-ux2$
Apparently there's an email from a few years back from 'my boss' that said "All UNIX permissions should be 777"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bob Morales posted:

Apparently there's an email from a few years back from 'my boss' that said "All UNIX permissions should be 777"

He just wanted to win the jackpot.

• Locked thread