Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Rope Kid tell me why fighters won't suck I need this to sleep well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am not Rope Kid and I can't link to any specific post on it, but I'm pretty sure "[thing] won't suck" is a pretty big priority for Obsidian.

EDIT: Like, they've talked extensively about being able to build more traditionally passive classes to have more active, hands-on playstyles. Attributes won't be "this is a wizard stat, this is a fighter stat, don't bother giving your muscle dude intellect or he'll suck". There was even a post a little while back from Rope Kid talking about how any time you sub out one class in your party for another, you really feel its absence, with the example given being a fighter-less party having trouble locking down enemies and keeping the back-ranks safe from harm.

I think we're in decent hands, is what I'm getting at.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 11, 2013

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

That was a exciting trailer, now I'm pumped :dance:
I take it that animations are still worked on, it seems odd that there are no hit reactions.
Anyway, still pumped :dance:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can't wait to see what you guys do with the animancy theme. All those implications and moral dilemmas. I anticipate having incredibly spergy arguments over my choices in the game on this forum by the end of next year.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
More stretch goals is leading the vote three to one at this early stage. It will be interesting to see how it turns out when word spreads to backers that are not as obsessed as the people in this thread and on the Obsidian forum.

The Dark One posted:

Has anyone just been getting a generic "an error occurred processing your order" error when trying to place my $0 order?
Yeah I get that too. I'll try again in a day or two after the initial server-melting rush is over.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Zilkin posted:

Word of caution; I noticed that both tiers I looked at were missing stuff on the backer site compared to the KS page. The physical $250 tier was actually even missing pretty crucial stuff like the expansion/W2 download, in addition to couple other items. So be careful you don't add stuff you actually already have bought.

Edit: And now I got Password Recovery request in my email from the backer site that I definitely didn't make.

I am also a $250 level backer, but there are differences between the tiers on the Pillars of Eternity website and the Kickstarter, because I think some of those items are Kickstarter exclusive (Expansion and WL2 keys for instance).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Rope Kid tell me why fighters won't suck I need this to sleep well!
Fighters can knock dudes on their asses, both individually and, at higher levels, in groups. Also they can act like big sheets of burly flypaper and catch scrubs who try to rush by them. Their disengagement attacks are gnarly, they constantly regenerate Stamina, they convert a percentage of Grazes to Hits (this was modified from their earlier Confident Aim ability), they can shield nearby allies, and they get weapon specialization. The specialization damage bonus isn't as flashy as using a paladin's Flames of Devotion, but they gain the damage benefit with every hit forever. They're designed to be reliable, efficient, and nigh-indestructible. They're not the guys you pick to have a single shining moment in the sun before they explode and collapse, but I think they are great characters. Then again, I loved playing a warden in 4E, so I'm biased toward "slow burn" defender types.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
The art looks subpar and the animations look like poo poo (the fireball in particular is laugh out loud worthy) but the concept of the story in the interview about the golden age of souls and the ethic/religious conflicts that follow sounds really good. A bit of a mixed bad.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

rizzen posted:

So we can finally add more characters to the nostalgia tier ones like Minsc or Jan (though maybe it might be just me for Jan).

Jan was one of the best things about BG2, and I would argue one of the best npcs in a game ever.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oasx posted:

Jan was one of the best things about BG2, and I would argue one of the best npcs in a game ever.

Hells yeah, Jan was the bomb. Unfortunately his skillset doesn't tend to fit in that well with my usual kind of squad. (Imoen's already got the thieving locked down.)

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Oasx posted:

Yesssssssss

I'm the only one I know that actually enjoyed having him around. Reading all his insane and silly dialogue was one of the highlights of BG2 and ToB.

Give me a Jan to remember this game by!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

rope kid posted:

Fighters can knock dudes on their asses, both individually and, at higher levels, in groups. Also they can act like big sheets of burly flypaper and catch scrubs who try to rush by them. Their disengagement attacks are gnarly, they constantly regenerate Stamina, they convert a percentage of Grazes to Hits (this was modified from their earlier Confident Aim ability), they can shield nearby allies, and they get weapon specialization. The specialization damage bonus isn't as flashy as using a paladin's Flames of Devotion, but they gain the damage benefit with every hit forever. They're designed to be reliable, efficient, and nigh-indestructible. They're not the guys you pick to have a single shining moment in the sun before they explode and collapse, but I think they are great characters. Then again, I loved playing a warden in 4E, so I'm biased toward "slow burn" defender types.

Nice. I like getting in close and personal so I'll probably take a monk. Looking forward to kicking bad people in the head and punching them in the dick.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I decided to make an account and check out my pledge and when the hell did I drop $165 on this

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

rope kid posted:

This has been fixed.

Great, thanks! Now to fight past the "An error has occurred" thing! I might try again tomorrow, maybe it's just overloaded at the moment.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well I'm still against more stretch goals but Ropekid's thoughtful replies and the updates made me stop worrying about it. If they add more it sounds like they've thought everything through.

It is embarrassing to be so wrong when I thought the initial post had to be some kind of mistake. Ah well.

Anyway I clicked on the mysterious extra $5 and marked it as 'contact me over this donation' and now I'm fully locked out of the store until support talks to me. Bummer.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
So, I'm looking at the reward tier selection page.

Am I correct that, if I previously donated for the slacker backer, I can instead now donate more and upgrade to one of the others?

Also why does it jump from USD 30 to 80. I want all the exclusive ingame kickstarter stuff but have no friends/will die alone and don't care about two keys. It feels like there should be something inbetween those two tiers.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

tirinal posted:

Also why does it jump from USD 30 to 80. I want all the exclusive ingame kickstarter stuff but have no friends/will die alone and don't care about two keys. It feels like there should be something inbetween those two tiers.

Well there is also the option to just manually choose whatever addons you want.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

This is the correct answer.

Is the reason why we are not seeing any 4th edition D&D games because Atari hates 4th edition?

I've always wanted a game to take place in the Dales so that we can look at the places that Elminster helped gently caress up in his youth.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Stretch goal idea: second audio track for Avellone's audio book, recorded after an official Obsidian party.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I like the idea of adding more fleshed-out companions to round out the class roster, though I've always had a soft-spot for the completely underdeveloped, this-guy-was-added-last-minute types. The Gogos, the Skynets, the Juhanis and the Morinths of the world. The characters that change next to nothing and barely even have a reason for being in the plot at all. I guess the hirelings kinda fill that niche, but I just like the very clear-cut "Ah, gently caress it! Twelve lines and a slightly unique ability is good enough!" principle behind them, and they always end up being mainstays in my party.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Still can't finalize properly. Is it something to do with having pledged above tier and the money I set for donation messing with the process, or just general issues with overloaded servers? Eh, I'll try again in a few hours.

Was hoping to up my pledge, but alas, no money for another few weeks.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mordaedil posted:

Is the reason why we are not seeing any 4th edition D&D games because Atari hates 4th edition?
Atari couldn't publish itself out of a paper bag at this point even if it had cash, which it doesn't.

The other thing is that Wizards has their 4th ed game, the Neverwinter MMO, which is being published by a Chinese firm. So.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Basic Chunnel posted:

Atari couldn't publish itself out of a paper bag at this point even if it had cash, which it doesn't.

The other thing is that Wizards has their 4th ed game, the Neverwinter MMO, which is being published by a Chinese firm. So.

It's pretty far from the truth to call that 4th Edition though. Real 4th Edition is tailor made for a direct digital conversion, and Neverwinter is a real-time action game that dumps everything about it except for the ability names.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

The Crotch posted:

I am not Rope Kid and I can't link to any specific post on it, but I'm pretty sure "[thing] won't suck" is a pretty big priority for Obsidian.

Attributes won't be "this is a wizard stat, this is a fighter stat, don't bother giving your muscle dude intellect or he'll suck".

I had a crack at those a few days ago.

On the money so far :)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The animations have a ways to go, but given where we stand relative to the release date I'd say the trailer paints a very positive picture of how things are coming along.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm kind of wondering why the teaser trailer would include the combat animations, if they look as they do at the moment. They're looking kind of like the attack animations you might find in a turn based game, except running in RtwP.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I have no problem with the current combat animations, but the running cycle looks awful.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

From the new RPS interview:

quote:

Check back tomorrow for a chat with Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart about the developer’s enticingly ambitious plans for another Kickstarter. And no, it’s not Pillars of Eternity 2.

:O

Is this the first we're hearing of a new KS?

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I have no problem with the current combat animations, but the running cycle looks awful.

It looks kind of stiff, and I noticed there's no "turning speed" on some of the enemies. They round a bend in a cave, and just switch directions instantly. Looks kind of weird, in a game in 2013.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

epmode posted:

From the new RPS interview:

That interview as a whole is pretty good. Edér being a rogue rather than a fighter? Definitely didn't know that before.

But yeah, I wonder if that's how they're going to fund the new wilderness areas/companions, in a Larian-esque approach.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

epmode posted:

Journey to the Centre of Arcanum the people demand it

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Is there a grain filter or something put over some of the recent screenshots?

The IE game area art had a grainy look to it. PE's area art was free of it until screens like this.

might just be jpeg artifacting

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Fucker posted:

The art looks subpar and the animations look like poo poo (the fireball in particular is laugh out loud worthy) but the concept of the story in the interview about the golden age of souls and the ethic/religious conflicts that follow sounds really good. A bit of a mixed bad.

I get that some of the animation work comes off as a bit janky, but the art is beautiful! What exactly do you find repulsive?!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sensuki posted:

Is there a grain filter or something put over some of the recent screenshots?

The IE game area art had a grainy look to it. PE's area art was free of it until screens like this.

Or maybe it's just that Defiance Bay, assuming that's where that is, is particularly smoggy?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

No all the non-Eternity website screens that were given to the interview websites are all pretty grainy.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 11, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
The graininess looks better to me for gameplay.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How tall are the average player sprites/models again? I think BG was 48 pixels and PS:T was 96.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Here's a website screen from comparison, no grain

Probs just quality loss, but not sure

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

quote:

There are certain elements of it that I think are probably going to be easier to mod than others. Environments are probably going to be pretty tough to author on your own, because even for us they’re complicated, they’re time-consuming to build, they’re very hi-res, they involve a number of special passes and things.

One thing that should be pointed out; haveing more areas in the game will make it easier for modders to add content without the game becoming too cramped.

• Locked thread