Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
We have a PolyScience at work, and we do Short Ribs Sous Vide for 3 days. I cannot stand the texture of the meat afterwards, it's... strange...

Some like it, some do not. Though, I am not at liberty to say where I work, due to I'm pretty sure we're unlicensed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

My Anova has arrived! And my week is so busy it probably won't get used before the weekend... then I think it'll be 63 degree eggs for breakfast and steak for dinner. Or ribs. So many things to choose from.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Has anyone ever tried sous vizzling with the Masterbuilt Turkey Fryer?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So, I'd like to make some :420: infused oil. Any temp suggestions?

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

BraveUlysses posted:

So, I'd like to make some :420: infused oil. Any temp suggestions?

Just like fridging the oil, it takes longer at lower temps. An hour at 180F seems to work pretty well, but I've had good results with 165F for 4-6 hours. It will taste green, for sure, but definitely depends on what type of product you're working with.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Vape poo, so it's probably not going to taste good no matter what. Thanks for the info!

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

Vape poo, so it's probably not going to taste good no matter what. Thanks for the info!

Well you can go about as hot as you like with ABV since you aren't going to boil off anything important until you get over 300F. Coconut oil would be a good choice, you can use it in just about anything, solid at room temp, and doesn't need refrigeration.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do Anova have any plans to release in Europe because I'd like to get one since I don't have space for anything currently available here

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

Do Anova have any plans to release in Europe because I'd like to get one since I don't have space for anything currently available here

They just came out with the 220V international version and they ship everywhere.

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
I picked one up paying USD 60 for shipping and about 45 GBP for import duty and am glad I did! It's been great.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Winged a galbijim (var sp~) recipe for 48hr svizzle, gonna be out of the bath in time for dinner tonight. Can't decide if I should finish them on a super hot grill or just sear off in a pan though. Will reduce the remainder of the braise to a sauce, serve with steamed rice, lettuce cups & the kimchi I started a few months ago. Probably some other last minute sides. Any input//suggestions as to finishing or sides?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
My Christmas present from my parents overseas this year is an Anova and a Foodsaver. Do I need to get a good torch, or will my cast iron do the trick for searing my svizzled meat without overcooking it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cast iron > torch for searing

At least until the Searzall comes out next year

(with sous vide meat don't go more than 45 seconds each side on your cast iron or you'll start overcooking the insides)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 4, 2013

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Steve Yun posted:

Cast iron > torch for searing

Cool thanks. I'll use my cast iron and hold off on a torch until the Searzall and competitor products come out.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

deimos posted:

Chicken meat is a fickle mistress, the rubbery parts got to ~155°F. What you can do to counteract is next time SV to 140 for the required time then immediately ice bath them for a minute while in the bag (I use cheap Vodka that I keep for that purpose on the freezer, since it's mostly reusable with some patience and a funnel*). That will make them less susceptible to overcooking when pan searing.

* Bonus points: it's a lot colder than ice.

A torch would solve this as well right? No time for anything but the outside to get hot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
In theory yeah, but the problem with a torch is that it's incredibly uneven. Searing with a skillet gets you a pretty uniform sear across an entire side, whereas with a torch you get spots that are burnt to a crisp and other spots that aren't seared enough

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

With a little practice, you don't get that unevenness.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I try going in circles to sear, but it feels like by the time i get back to a spot to warm it up again the heating was so superficial that it has already cooled down. And if I make tighter circles, the area gets overheated and ends up singed.

Maybe I can keep at it to improve, but I feel like it'll always be walking a tightrope when I could just slap it on a hot skillet and guarantee a well balanced sear

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Using a torch to make sure its completely dry then using cast iron to sear it seems the best way

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's what your pal Chemmy does. I detailed that method in the medium rare steak thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548777&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post418243456

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 5, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I have been on a yogurt kick lately, ends up very good and it's a lot less fussy than doing it via pot. Anyone else tried it? So far I've made roughly a gallon, tomorrow or so I'll make another gallon and a bit because I want to experiment with 1% milk and timing it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scott Bakula posted:

Using a torch to make sure its completely dry then using cast iron to sear it seems the best way
Yeah. If you find yourself having trouble getting a good sear using a pan or skillet, you're probably better off working on getting the surface of the meat drier than on pursuing alternate heat sources.

And that's true, for what it's worth, in general and not just with meat that's coming out of a puddle machine.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

I try going in circles to sear, but it feels like by the time i get back to a spot to warm it up again the heating was so superficial that it has already cooled down. And if I make tighter circles, the area gets overheated and ends up singed.

Maybe I can keep at it to improve, but I feel like it'll always be walking a tightrope when I could just slap it on a hot skillet and guarantee a well balanced sear

I have read that using both at once works pretty well also, dropping it in the cast iron and torching the other side then flipping and repeating. That might even out the sear and then you probably only need 20-30 sec in the pan. I am going to give that a try this weekend.

Electric Apathy
Oct 21, 2010
So I have been looking for a cheapish sous vide setup and was leaning towards an Anova, then I came across this:

https://www.sunbeam.com.au/Cooking/Sous-Vide/MU4000-Duos-Electronic-Sous-Vide.aspx

40-90 C with a 5 litre tub, comes with an internal rack etc and can be used as a slow cooker -

However, there appears to be no circulation pump and only can do 1 degree temp adjustment.

Taking shipping into account it is $80 cheaper than the Anova.

Goons, lend me your divine culinary wisdom so I may make the best choice and create the finest steak and chicken and fish

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Not having circulation is fine.

Here are some people on egullet who used one:
http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144790-sunbeam-mu4000/

Someone complained that theirs was inaccurate, got a new unit, tried a few different things and got better results

review:
http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-an...rst%20look.aspx

another review:
http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/sunbeam-duos-sous-vide

Aussie BBQ user review and temperature analysis:
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=10595

Less than 1°C variation, which seems fine considering that it's not circulating:

$150 clearance:
http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/buyonline/Sunbeam_Duos_Sous_Vide_5L_Slow_Cooker_MU4000

edit: holy poo poo Breville is selling rebadged SousVide Supremes for AUS$800? You're an Australian company, Breville

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 6, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Other things to do with a sous vide setup:

Keep stuff lukewarm:

I'm making Dino's dosa recipe. He says to keep the soaking rice warm. It's cold in my house and my oven doesn't have a pilot light to keep it warm so I just put it in here. My slow cooker would normally be going to 150-160 F on its "warm" setting, which is too hot. With a pid controller you can keep the temp at a nice comfortable 90 F. I might do the same for sourdough bread later

Long term maillard/enzymatic breakdown:

Here is black garlic, which you get by throwing a bunch of garlic cloves (still in their paper) into a sealed container like a mason jar (no water) and keeping the temperature at 140 F for forty days. poo poo's expensive, make your own! It's like if roasted garlic and prunes had an affair and this was their love child

edit: I thought black garlic was fermented but I guess 140°F is too high for bacteria and some googling says it's not bacteria work but rather enzymes

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 8, 2013

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sous vide short ribs.

I was planning on doing them for 48 hours total as I heard 72 hours they turned out too mushy (cooking at 143F). Well, dinner got delayed a day so that pushes all my menu items back a day.

So now, I can keep them going for 72 hours and sear/eat them. Or, I could cook them for 48 hours, dump in an ice bath, and then when I'm ready for them the next day, just bring up to about 130 degrees in the water puddle machine and then sear.

What do you think? Take them out after 48, wait a day in the fridge and then cook, or let em go for 72 hours?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Take half out after 48 hours and refrigerate, and let the other half go 72. Have it both ways!

Evi|Sycho
Sep 9, 2001

Sexy Time!
I recently impulse-purchased a Sous Vide Supreme Demi without doing my research and now am wondering if I should have gone with the Anova. I'm in a small apartment kitchen and between the footprint, cost and lack of circulation I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with the Anova. Cost isn't a huge factor but I'm having trouble seeing what benefits there are to the SVS for the extra cost?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Evi|Sycho posted:

I recently impulse-purchased a Sous Vide Supreme Demi without doing my research and now am wondering if I should have gone with the Anova. I'm in a small apartment kitchen and between the footprint, cost and lack of circulation I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with the Anova. Cost isn't a huge factor but I'm having trouble seeing what benefits there are to the SVS for the extra cost?

I have had a SVS (the big model) since it came out, and if I could trade it for an Anova I would do it in a second.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Possibly less electricity usage because of the well insulated container, but I don't have a way of knowing for sure. SVS's website says their unit uses as much power as a 60w light bulb once it gets to temperature.

Circulation isn't a big deal because temperature differences in the water equalize pretty well.

But yes, bigger footprint, higher cost.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

What is the practical limit for SVS and Anova as far as number of people you can cook for at once? I know you could do batches and then reheat later but if I were to have a dinner party and was doing steaks where do these max out?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anova: up to 6 gal/22 liters, but this is a soft limit. Probably less for high temps and more for low temps, depends how good the insulation of your container is, etc.

SVS: 3 gallons (limited by the appliance's size)

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Evi|Sycho posted:

If you can return it, do it. If not, don't beat yourself up too hard. I used the Demi for over a year without problems. I'm happier with the Anova because I can pack in more, and it takes up less space overall. Also cheaper!

:lol: How do they justify this "Chef" model? http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/Shop_Online/Water_Ovens/SousVide_Supreme_Chef/Product.aspx?ProductID=109&DeptID=34

Evi|Sycho
Sep 9, 2001

Sexy Time!

geetee posted:

If you can return it, do it. If not, don't beat yourself up too hard. I used the Demi for over a year without problems. I'm happier with the Anova because I can pack in more, and it takes up less space overall. Also cheaper!

Cool, I'm going to return it and get an Anova. I was leaning that way, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything about the SVS. Thanks! Can't wait to put it to use.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

48 hour short ribs were loving amazing. However, I'll change a few things next time.

1) Maybe go a bit longer.60-72 hours. The meat was really tender at 142F over 48 hours. However, still slightly tough and needed a knife to cut it well. Came apart, but stringy and connected a bit to the fat like a pot roast in the slow cooker.

2) Think I need to maybe buy more/meatier short ribs. The ones I cooked only had meat on one side of em. The rest was a bunch of fat I cut away prior to searing at the end. I served them atop some mashed potatoes and it was a perfect serving size, but we definitely both wanted more. I had two, the wife had one. Usually they are sold in groups of three at the store, so maybe I'll check somewhere else Also, 5.50 a pound seems pretty loving ridiculous for short ribs, but not sure on that.

Definitely getting added into the rotation, but having the sous vide in use for 48+ hours sucks!

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Anova: up to 6 gal/22 liters, but this is a soft limit. Probably less for high temps and more for low temps, depends how good the insulation of your container is, etc.

SVS: 3 gallons (limited by the appliance's size)

So SVS lists capacity at 20 4oz portions, does it scale linearly? Can the Anova do twice that, and how practical is that with these machines?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Today I made the upgrade from the Sous Vide Supreme Demi to an Anova, and having owned both, the Anova is a way better machine. The SVS Demi was fine for small meals but anything larger like say wanting to cook two legs of lamb for a thanksgiving party, basically fills that thing to capacity. An Anova + a simple 12 x 18 cambro container will greatly increase your cooking capacity and do an all around better job at maintaining a proper temperature bath around your bags.

So yes, if you just recently purchased a Sous Vide Supreme or a Sous Vide Supreme Demi, get it returned and refunded immediately and buy an Anova.

On a side note, I was very tempted to pull an Xibit and attach the anova to the Sous Vide Supreme Demi to use the SVSD as a insulated container rather than just use a plastic cambro container. However, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

G-III fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 12, 2013

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Raw newbie question... might be dumb but how fast can sous vide cook a steak? Can I start when I get home from work and not have to wait until midnight to eat? Usually when I see articles on it, they talk about being able to leave something cooking for hours, but that's not really what I'm after, although all the other advantages in the OP sound great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Base Emitter posted:

Raw newbie question... might be dumb but how fast can sous vide cook a steak? Can I start when I get home from work and not have to wait until midnight to eat? Usually when I see articles on it, they talk about being able to leave something cooking for hours, but that's not really what I'm after, although all the other advantages in the OP sound great.

It depends on the thickness of the steak. Your average 2 inch or less steak can take roughly 2 hours to cook. My typical routine is to drop something in the puddle at target temp by 6:00, yank it out by 8:00 pm to finish it off and have dinner.

A good sized chicken breast should only take roughly an hour at 146 F