Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Ultimate Marvel Alliance 1 (or 2 is OK I guess but 1 is way better) if she is at all a fan or can deal with Marvel stuff? It's a really good top down brawler/lite RPG with like 20 something Marvel characters to play as, 4 heroes at once so you can pick 2 each at a time and just muck around in the Marvel universe beating up a shitload of villains and henchman. The Xmen Legends games were similar but only the Xmen and for the original Xbox.

Were any of the Silent Hill games for the 360 good? Got it in my head to play one of those games but not just do my usual thing of replaying 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Waroduce posted:

I need a game recommendation for my gf and I. I'm looking for a 360 game that is co-operative and NOT in first person. She has trouble using two sticks with the look/move thing. She's usually ok with behind the back/over shoulder stuff, side scrollers are great. Something along the lines of Castle Crashers would be nice, and I was also thinking of the Lego games. No Gears of War/ Army of Two or anything too fast paced. I just need a chill fun game.

Secondly, we've been playing Walking Dead Season 1. Any other strong, well written story games that we could alternate playing/watching?

The Little Big Planet series is a cutesy one my girlfriend thinks is great. She sounds about like your girlfriend in that she likes casual games here and there but doesn't have any desire to learn to play anything deep/complicated like FPS or RPGs.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Which recent fighting games have a good single player mode? I think I recall Soul Calibur and Street Fighter Alpha 3 having pretty nifty "world tour" modes.

Injustice: Gods Among Us has a decent story mode, but it's the STARS lab missions where it really shines (fights with specific objectives in mind, usually with a short story linking 2-3 of them at a time.)

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
I'm looking for a game with a lot of character customization, both in equipment and looks. Genre doesn't really matter. I loved these games:

* Saints Row
* Borderlands
* New Vegas
* Dark Souls
* Stalker

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

V!ntar posted:

I'm looking for a game with a lot of character customization, both in equipment and looks. Genre doesn't really matter. I loved these games:

* Saints Row
* Borderlands
* New Vegas
* Dark Souls
* Stalker

Dragon's Dogma.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'm looking for a heavily story/character driven game, I bought Jade Empire recently and tried to get into it but I really dislike the gameplay and the world didn't really grab me.

I am, however, a massive fan of Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Kotor, those sorts of game, and I'd love something like that. Bear in mind, however, that I've played basically anything remotely popular in that sort of genre, so it'd probably have to be pretty obscure, maybe something weird on the PS2 or something.

It doesn't necessarily have to be an RPG, I can be pretty tolerant of lovely gameplay for a good story but my tolerance only goes so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cat doter posted:

I'm looking for a heavily story/character driven game, I bought Jade Empire recently and tried to get into it but I really dislike the gameplay and the world didn't really grab me.

I am, however, a massive fan of Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Kotor, those sorts of game, and I'd love something like that. Bear in mind, however, that I've played basically anything remotely popular in that sort of genre, so it'd probably have to be pretty obscure, maybe something weird on the PS2 or something.

It doesn't necessarily have to be an RPG, I can be pretty tolerant of lovely gameplay for a good story but my tolerance only goes so far.

If you haven't played Persona 4, you really should.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

V!ntar posted:

* Saints Row
* Borderlands
* New Vegas
* Dark Souls
* Stalker

The Monster Hunter games are great for that.

Path of Exile is just in equipment/skills (looks are static to the archetype you choose) but the customization where that's concerned is pretty massive.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

Great suggestions, thanks a lot. Was planning on getting Monster Hunter 3, will be getting it now!

Looking for games with either an awesome energetic soundtrack (like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQIogLBFBs), or calm but epic* tracks (like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-gM7RNd_rM).

*I hate myself for using that word

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

cat doter posted:

The Last Of Us is also a great choice assuming you have a PS3.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Baggins posted:

Seconding this, the story and character development in The Last Of Us is the best in any game ever made, full stop. However when I asked a similar question in one of the TLOU threads several people recommended Enslaved Odyssey to the West, which is available on a lot more systems.

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What is considered the Definitive version of Persona 4 right now? I haven't followed the series or releases much since P2, but I thought this one had 2-3 updated versions / re-releases?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Not really, Persona 3 has had the most re-releases. There's regular Persona 4 on the PS3, and Persona 4 The Golden on PS Vita, which is the updated re-release.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Welper posted:

What is considered the Definitive version of Persona 4 right now? I haven't followed the series or releases much since P2, but I thought this one had 2-3 updated versions / re-releases?
You're thinking of Persona 3. 4 only has Golden, but its a Vita exclusive.

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
With the amount of discussion and attention I've seen Persona 4 receive maybe it will be worth picking up a Vita soon to invest some time into the premier version.

Hmm. I'll request any good recommendations on Sci-Fi RPG's with some well-explored lore. Fallout, KotOR and Mass Effect series are some of my all-time favorites, the Sci-Fi doesn't have to be 'Far' Sci-Fi, even near stuff like ~25 years into the future is good stuff.

Fantasy elements are also ok, as I did enjoy Shadowrun Returns. Single-player preferred, no MMO's please as I just don't have the ability to invest that amount of time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Welper posted:

With the amount of discussion and attention I've seen Persona 4 receive maybe it will be worth picking up a Vita soon to invest some time into the premier version.

Hmm. I'll request any good recommendations on Sci-Fi RPG's with some well-explored lore. Fallout, KotOR and Mass Effect series are some of my all-time favorites, the Sci-Fi doesn't have to be 'Far' Sci-Fi, even near stuff like ~25 years into the future is good stuff.

Fantasy elements are also ok, as I did enjoy Shadowrun Returns. Single-player preferred, no MMO's please as I just don't have the ability to invest that amount of time.
Definitely Anachronox, though be warned it ends on a cliffhanger that may never be resolved.

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007

Inadequately posted:

On the topic of RPGs, it kind of got lost on the last page, but are there any notable RPGs that take place in a modern day setting? Been playing Persona 4 and The World Ends with You recently, and quite enjoying them. Something similar to Earthbound works too.

Accordion Man posted:

Alpha Protocol is the only other one I can think of off the top of my head.

Alpha Protocol is FANTASTIC for storyline and replayability if you are willing to give the game 2-3 hours to get off the starting line and if combat mechanics aren't that important to you. It holds a unique branching story and dialogue system that no other RPG has afforded to replicate since.

Another series for you to try out as 'Modern' RPGs is Parasite Eve from the original PSX era. They're graphically dated but they take place using the 'modern' (give or take 10 years) US setting, the gameplay is still pretty fun, they have a neat modern science-fiction story and last I checked they were available on PSN. The 1st one is much more of a standard RPG, while the 2nd is more of an RPG-tweaked clone of the earlier Resident Evil games.

The Welper fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 11, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Played it/finished it/loved it.

Baggins posted:

Ditto.

I've also played and finished Persona 3 and Alpha Protocol. I know they weren't brought up but this is what I mean by "it would have to be kinda obscure".

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The Shadowrun game for the Sega Genesis still holds up pretty well, in my opinion. Also on that note, Snatcher?

If you're not averse to text-based games, A Mind Forever Voyaging and Planetfall.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

V!ntar posted:

Great suggestions, thanks a lot. Was planning on getting Monster Hunter 3, will be getting it now!

Looking for games with either an awesome energetic soundtrack (like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQIogLBFBs), or calm but epic* tracks (like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-gM7RNd_rM).

*I hate myself for using that word

Wrap your earholes around the soundtrack from Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii :rock:

Some of the fight tracks (these aren't even boss fight music, these are "merely" general ones)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vCEHpv6Hg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCclUgQk1Lk

A lot of the general background music is really good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweRl4LZlmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkmn347wsY

It's a massive 80-hour (minimum) JRPG that'll keep you entertained for a good long while if you can get ahold of a copy.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Inadequately posted:

The Shadowrun game for the Sega Genesis still holds up pretty well, in my opinion. Also on that note, Snatcher?

If you're not averse to text-based games, A Mind Forever Voyaging and Planetfall.

I don't think I've played either Shadowrun or Snatcher, I might check em out.

Do you mean text based as in text parser or full on text adventure games or something? I've never played a text adventure, but I played a few games that used text parsers when I was a kid. Of course I mostly just typed swear words into them.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Full-on text adventure. I've also got a few more obscure science fiction ones I could probably dig up, but I can understand if that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
What good action/rpgs were on the Sega Saturn?

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wrap your earholes around the soundtrack from Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii :rock:

Some of the fight tracks (these aren't even boss fight music, these are "merely" general ones)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vCEHpv6Hg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCclUgQk1Lk

A lot of the general background music is really good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweRl4LZlmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkmn347wsY

It's a massive 80-hour (minimum) JRPG that'll keep you entertained for a good long while if you can get ahold of a copy.

Holy poo poo, those tracks are so awesome it's scary :stare: Do I need to play other games to understand the story, or is it standalone?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

V!ntar posted:

Holy poo poo, those tracks are so awesome it's scary :stare: Do I need to play other games to understand the story, or is it standalone?
It is completely standalone. It only shares a similar name to the Xenogears and Xenosaga series because the same guy directed each of them.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

It is completely standalone. It only shares a similar name to the Xenogears and Xenosaga series because the same guy directed each of them.

Will be on the lookout for it then!

Another request: cyberpunk games. Stuff like Deus Ex, E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy (which I'm currently playing), Cyberpunk 2077, stuff like that, gritty and dark as gently caress.

I prefer standalone games, or a series where I can play all of the games in it (I hate not understanding story!) without buying an old console or selling my soul to make it work in a modern PC.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

V!ntar posted:

Going to have to echo the recommendation for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Don't be scared off by the Metal Gear thing - it's in the same universe as the MGS games, but it can definitely stand alone in terms of storyline. Here's one of the early boss fight tracks, and on a lighter note, here's the thing that sold me on the game. Both videos are polsy'd so as to avoid spoiler comments.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I've been getting the urge to find a flight sim in the style of Ace Combat, is there anything like that for the PC? (I know about HAWX and Assault Horizon) Space sims are also acceptable.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Funktor posted:

What good action/rpgs were on the Sega Saturn?

Legend of Oasis (the best one), Dark Savior, Magic Knight Rayearth, Shining Wisdom

Also Guardian Heroes sort of counts, being a beat-'em-up with RPG elements, and one of the best games on the system altogether.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So my favourite part of WoW right after its release was exploring new areas and solo pvp. I loved trying to take down higher level players or groups with my rogue. There was crazy tension when I'd spot another player in the distance and we'd size each other up, trying to tell if the other player had hostile intentions and if they were well equipped or skilled. Having running duels with a nemesis over the course of an evening and bowing/waving before logging out, or choosing the perfect moment to wipe a party that ganked me earlier.

Any MMO's current or coming up in the next year that have similiar open world pvp?

Edit: From what I've read, DayZ has a similiar style, but it's missing the skillset. Trying to figure out how to counter different classes, get in the opponents head and anticipate their cooldowns was half the fun.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 13, 2013

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I'm looking for a 2-player fantasy RPG couch coop game for PS3. Games with that description that we enjoyed are Dungeon Siege 3 and Lord of the Rings - War in the North. I've searched co-optimus and other places and didn't really find that any games that satisfied this criteria.

Sci-fi like Borderlands doesn't count. I'm looking for traditional "swords and sorcery" types. Any ideas?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
So for some reason I have both a 3DS and a PS Vita and I own 1 game between them (Soul Sacrifice) mostly because I had a friend who was a junkie for owning every console who talked me into making irresponsible financial decisions. Now I'm hoping to get some kind of return on that investment (in the form of a game I might play). I like wordy RPG type games (like pretty much Bioware's whole catalog I've enjoyed to some greater or lesser degree) and I'm bad at twitch reflex button masher type games (like I really don't enjoy most FPS CoD type games, or arcade style bullethell type games - because I have terrible reflexs / game playing abilities). Also I have a soft spot for animu type games - on the previous generation of consoles I played and enjoyed Fate/Extra, Final Fantasy Tactics, and the Corpse Party games.

I play PC games pretty much exclusively so I really have no idea what (if anything) is worth buying for handhelds, so I'm sorry if this request is overly broad / vague it's just I see these handhelds every time I open my desk drawer and I feel I would be happier if I played them ever.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I also like Anime-like games. Give Shin Megami Tensei 4 a try. It's pretty fun, not very wordy but has a pretty interesting philosophical tone, which I found very interesting.

EDIT: I'M NOT GOING TO EDIT THIS POST. IT'S SO RETARDED IT'S PERFECT

V!ntar fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 13, 2013

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Anarkii posted:

I'm looking for a 2-player fantasy RPG couch coop game for PS3. Games with that description that we enjoyed are Dungeon Siege 3 and Lord of the Rings - War in the North. I've searched co-optimus and other places and didn't really find that any games that satisfied this criteria.

Sci-fi like Borderlands doesn't count. I'm looking for traditional "swords and sorcery" types. Any ideas?

If you don't mind playing older games, you might find the PS2 Baldur's Gate games right up your alley, they've more in common with Dungeon Siege 3 than War in the North, I'd say. My friend and I are into similar stuff and recently completed both of the games you listed and we're enjoying them.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Anarkii posted:

Have you considered Diablo III?

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

So my favourite part of WoW right after its release was exploring new areas and solo pvp. I loved trying to take down higher level players or groups with my rogue. There was crazy tension when I'd spot another player in the distance and we'd size each other up, trying to tell if the other player had hostile intentions and if they were well equipped or skilled. Having running duels with a nemesis over the course of an evening and bowing/waving before logging out, or choosing the perfect moment to wipe a party that ganked me earlier.

Any MMO's current or coming up in the next year that have similiar open world pvp?

Edit: From what I've read, DayZ has a similiar style, but it's missing the skillset. Trying to figure out how to counter different classes, get in the opponents head and anticipate their cooldowns was half the fun.

Asheron's Call, Darktide server. The game isn't cooldowns-based like WOW though, it's more arcade-y. Also there aren't really predefined classes, but it's pretty easy to tell if someone's a mage or not.

But the whole 'sizing people up from a distance' thing is perfect for that server since it's an extremely hostile world as soon as you create your character. I remember pretty much just creating my character and turning around and running away from the beginner area because there were people there that were constantly fighting you.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
I'm looking for something similar to a choose your own adventure, in that the choices you make determines what happens in the games. You could go one way and have one outcome or another way and have another outcome entirely. I really like those old text adventure games like Zork. I've looked myself and can't find anything.

There are some story based games with puzzles I was looking at as well. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors is one that caught my interest. I just don't want anything that relies to heavily on puzzles. I fail at anything numbers/math related in that department and spatial related stuff. I'm better at word games/etc.

Both of those for a DS or 3DS.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pendergast posted:

I'm looking for something similar to a choose your own adventure, in that the choices you make determines what happens in the games. You could go one way and have one outcome or another way and have another outcome entirely. I really like those old text adventure games like Zork. I've looked myself and can't find anything.

It's not a text adventure, but I'm told Alpha Protocol is some kind of idiot savant when it comes to branching choices, dialogue and events. (edit: but you said DS or 3DS, and furthermore I am a loving idiot!)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pendergast posted:

There are some story based games with puzzles I was looking at as well. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors is one that caught my interest. I just don't want anything that relies to heavily on puzzles. I fail at anything numbers/math related in that department and spatial related stuff. I'm better at word games/etc.

Ace Attorney might fit this. It's an adventure game with some puzzles (most of them being abstractions of drawing info out of people and collecting clues.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

mune posted:

Asheron's Call, Darktide server. The game isn't cooldowns-based like WOW though, it's more arcade-y. Also there aren't really predefined classes, but it's pretty easy to tell if someone's a mage or not.

But the whole 'sizing people up from a distance' thing is perfect for that server since it's an extremely hostile world as soon as you create your character. I remember pretty much just creating my character and turning around and running away from the beginner area because there were people there that were constantly fighting you.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the goon thread is full of people waxing nostalgic and selling their level 250 character accounts. I think I missed the boat on that MMO by about a decade.