Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

anonumos posted:

If it ever snows in Florida, I'm staying home.

I have a friend that moved around as a kid. After living in MN, he moved to FL. His mom would go to the nearest hill and watch drivers whenever the temperature dipped/it snowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Brigdh posted:

Just think how bad it is in a state that rarely has snow. :)

This is one of my favorites, from Portland, OR, which rarely gets snow despite being in the northwest. Also the majority of people have their AWD Subarus, so they are convinced that snow changes nothing about the driving experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCoxOReXlHI

I saw a similar thing happen in a hilly parking lot elsewhere in Oregon. Just dozens of cars swirling around, seemingly gravitating toward each other, at about 3 MPH. People would get them stopped and then all of a sudden they would pirouette off sideways in whichever direction was downhill.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Geez all this talk of snow is making me remember when I got stuck on a bus for 8 hours on the highway leaving Seattle. Didn't even have a smartphone at the time to gently caress around on. Wasn't all bad I got to push a car off the road. :v:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Four-way stops are the best to watch when it's icy or snowy for the first time in the year. A buddy and mine ordered a pizza and sat out on his front porch just watching clueless people slide through and bump each other.

I think next time I move I'm going to make sure it's near someplace like that or with a good view in case I need some easy entertainment.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why did that moron keep hitting the throttle?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

It reminds me of playing Asteroids. You always think you're gonna give it just the right nudge to perfectly balance yourself and wind up flailing wildly out of control.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Sometimes I will randomly think of Portland video floor-it-into-everything guy and it just makes my day.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
There was a video where a fire truck slid down an icy hill. Anyone remember that?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Belerus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpyGe6bcSe4

Yes it is awesome not terrible

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ringo Star Get posted:

Four-way stops are the best to watch when it's icy or snowy for the first time in the year. A buddy and mine ordered a pizza and sat out on his front porch just watching clueless people slide through and bump each other.

I think next time I move I'm going to make sure it's near someplace like that or with a good view in case I need some easy entertainment.

I used to do just that in college. When it snowed, we would go out on the porch with beer, and just watch people go into the corner way too fast and crash.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Ouch.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Hey look that decorative towhook might actually be used!

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Hey look that decorative towhook might actually be used!

Ripping the front bumper off, causing even more damage.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Ripping the front bumper off, causing even more damage.

Yeah I can't see how that could possibly be attached to anything solid - the whole front of the Z/G is a fiberglass molding.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That looks like the factory tow hook to me. Threads right into the aluminum bumper beam.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ror posted:

This is one of my favorites, from Portland, OR, which rarely gets snow despite being in the northwest. Also the majority of people have their AWD Subarus, so they are convinced that snow changes nothing about the driving experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCoxOReXlHI

I saw a similar thing happen in a hilly parking lot elsewhere in Oregon. Just dozens of cars swirling around, seemingly gravitating toward each other, at about 3 MPH. People would get them stopped and then all of a sudden they would pirouette off sideways in whichever direction was downhill.

This is definitely seattle.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It seems to be uploaded multiple times with "x city name here" so people can say how bad their city's drivers are.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

jamal posted:

That looks like the factory tow hook to me. Threads right into the aluminum bumper beam.

Fun fact; all imports have (or had, pre-dealer) functional tow hooks. Have to be able to secure them on a transport ship. :eng101:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Just a guess, maybe trying to flee the scene of the accidents?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

You're probably right and god drat are there a lot more where that one came from. Do a Youtube search for Seattle snow or ice and you'll find a treasure trove of madness.

anonumos posted:

There was a video where a fire truck slid down an icy hill. Anyone remember that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZCyQ3emQg

This one has a firetruck at the end, but no sliding from it. There's a bus at 3:15 though!

Ror fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 11, 2013

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

No, it actually isn't. It may have aired on KING 5 but that clip definitely happened in Portland. I remember watching it on TV.

Which isn't to say that Seattle isn't full of lovely drivers even when it's sunny. The Queen Anne Ave hill is especially fun to watch if there's even a dusting of snow. (Big fuckoff steep hill that only one bus is allowed on at a time regardless of weather.)
e: The Metro bus system still refers to it as the "counterbalance" to this day: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Piece-of-history-concealed-within-Queen-Anne-Hill-1198180.php

Farmdizzle fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 11, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Farmdizzle posted:

e: The Metro bus system still refers to it as the "counterbalance" to this day: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Piece-of-history-concealed-within-Queen-Anne-Hill-1198180.php

I'm kind of surprised at how they refer to it as if a counterbalance isn't something in common use today.

Most elevators, except for hydraulic elevators (which you rarely see outside of anything taller than 3 stories), use them.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

NoWake posted:

This makes me think of something along these lines:

Chauffeur deviates from the normal route to Southeby.
"........?" from the passenger compartment.

Chauffeur enters the Silverstone Racing Circuit.
"........!!" from the passenger compartment.

Chauffeur amuses himself, turning several hot laps this day
"%@%^@#!!!!" from the passenger compartment.

This sounds like the perfect set up for a Top Gear episode featuring our favorite tame racing driver, the Stig.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

I'm kind of surprised at how they refer to it as if a counterbalance isn't something in common use today.

Most elevators, except for hydraulic elevators (which you rarely see outside of anything taller than 3 stories), use them.

The idea was used pretty regularly back in the streetcar days, too, but often it would involve waiting for a streetcar going the other direction and just hook the two together to act as each other's counterweight.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is there anything you can even do in that sliding-down-the-icy-hill situation?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

M42 posted:

Panic.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

0rganDonor posted:

Fun fact; all imports have (or had, pre-dealer) functional tow hooks. Have to be able to secure them on a transport ship. :eng101:

Have to be able to, but don't have to actually do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38jDQkkaxT8

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

M42 posted:

Pray.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

M42 posted:

Downshift, take your foot off the brake, try to point it straight down the hill and hope your tires have enough grip to slow you down via engine braking.

Or steer into a wall.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

M42 posted:

Take another route. If no other route exists, go back home.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
FWD can engine brake when going forwards down ice; RWD should NOT. You'll spin out because your rears will break traction and then they'll want to get ahead of your fronts.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Jonny 290 posted:

FWD can engine brake when going forwards down ice; RWD should NOT. You'll spin out because your rears will break traction and then they'll want to get ahead of your fronts.

As long as you revmatch your downshift to avoid balance upset, or even better, downshift before starting the descent.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
It can still be tricky on a RWD car because the rear tires will "lock" to a certain extent. It's really not a huge deal if you're paying attention and know how to countersteer.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Pretty sure that's what the driver of the first car in the Seattle video did. That seemed like less successful strategy.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

This is in the wrong thread. Also, Eastern European women are loving gorgeous.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

Nooooo not another bug eye :cry:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Forget the cars fuuuuck being on a ship in that weather. :gonk:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

M42 posted:

tie a rope to a pillar and throw your anchor out the window. try to catch a light post.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

atomicthumbs posted:

tie a rope to a pillar and throw your anchor out the window. try to catch a light post.

Someone said, "Panic", but the real response is, "Use your towel to catch a light post and DON'T panic!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coasterphreak posted:

This is in the wrong thread. Also, Eastern European women are loving gorgeous.

Right up until you marry them, then they turn into babushkas.

Same thing with Italian women. Absolutely gorgeous, then as soon as the ring is on the finger *POOF* fat, mustachioed spaghetti-cooking mama.