Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
I called them back today and gave them the account number (again) and online password (my father-in-law wasn't 100% on his PIN), they told me it came back confirmed from Verizon. Still waiting for service...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SB35 posted:

Here's what I was talking about. Sorry I didn't link it before, tough to do on the phone.

Looks like this might be for CDMA phones.

Whereas the last 15 digits on your SIM card might be your account number for those on the BYOP plans.
[/quote]

Thanks! I don't really remember creating a 5 digit PIN though…

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Uthor posted:

Yeah, but you have to call and it might take a bit to find someone who can help you. I posted the number I called somewhere in this thread a year ago or so.

Just updating, this is the number I called when porting to T-Mobile prepaid. It's from last year, so there's a chance it got changed.

Uthor posted:

And just because I'm probably going to forget this number and not find it again when I need it: to port a number, you need to call 877-778-2106 and say "representative" three or four times (ignore the computer telling you it doesn't know WTF) to talk to a live operator.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
My wife's (T-Mobile) phone went live early this morning.

If anyone else needs it, the number the customer support representative on 611 gave me for number porting was 1-877-789-3106, not sure if this is specifically for prepaid or if it's the general porting line but her number was ported within 12 hours of talking with them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Finally got around to porting my ST number over to T-Mobile this morning. Process required a little bit of work. Thanks for the help SB35.

For the "current account number" you need to log into ST and click on "add nickname" to the SIM card you have, and then just copy/paste that long serial number. The password/PIN can be found by clicking on "update personal profile" and it'll be listed under security PIN. Neither of this is very intuitive at all.

I initiated the transfer and then immediately called the number posted above me. The guy I talked to said he'd expedite the request and took an number to reach me back at cause he had to hang up. Few minutes later my iPhone got a text message saying I'm now with T-Mobile now and then the rep called me back and told me it was finished.

Unfortunately my plan doesn't seem to be active yet because my payment hasn't been processed so I'm on the phone with customer support again trying to see if this can be expedited as well. Need to leave the house real soon.

(As an aside, I asked about visual voicemail and nobody answered but yes visual voicemail does indeed work with iPhones.)

Edit: Just realized I called customer support from my phone by dialing 611. I've been on hold for ~10 minutes. I hope this isn't eating up my 100 minutes :/.

Edit 2: Finally got through to a payments guy. Had to verify some questions about my background for some reason but the guy said it was totally normal. He asked which state I lived in in 1990 which was when I was 3.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 11, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Boris Galerkin posted:

Edit: Just realized I called customer support from my phone by dialing 611. I've been on hold for ~10 minutes. I hope this isn't eating up my 100 minutes :/.

I placed a few calls on my wife's phone to 611 before it went active, probably totaling 30 minutes (it was in some kind of limbo state where it had signal but any number dialed would go to customer support) and as of right now her account shows 1 minute out of 100 used (I made a test call to our landline when we woke up to the confirmation text message.)

Not sure if this is because I technically didn't have service yet or if they don't count calls to 611 against your monthly total...

e: apparently Verizon doesn't release your number until midnight. My wife's phone was in a weird 3/4 working state, data worked and she could place calls and send texts but it wouldn't receive calls (went to a "verizon wireless: this number has been disconnected or is out of service") or receive texts. Checked it about 45 minutes ago and its now fully functional.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 12, 2013

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I guess Virgin just implemented some kind of image compression system because all JPGs loaded in web browsers while not connected to Wifi look like dogshit now.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
T-Mobile unlimited text/data 100 minutes/$30 month plan question - if you hit your monthly minute limit do they cut you off or start charging you by the minute? My wife is using Vonage extensions for outgoing calls (we have a 400 minute home phone plan that we barely use) but I'm starting to think I need to set her up with something that can handle incoming calls with data...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They charge 10cents a minute

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The rear end Stooge posted:

I guess Virgin just implemented some kind of image compression system because all JPGs loaded in web browsers while not connected to Wifi look like dogshit now.

Were you just reading the forums in a browser as a way to show us the image compression, or do you not actually use the Awful app?

Though I've heard the iOS version isn't as great as the Android one, so maybe that's why.

But either way, yeah, that looks like hot garbage.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Geoj posted:

T-Mobile unlimited text/data 100 minutes/$30 month plan question - if you hit your monthly minute limit do they cut you off or start charging you by the minute? My wife is using Vonage extensions for outgoing calls (we have a 400 minute home phone plan that we barely use) but I'm starting to think I need to set her up with something that can handle incoming calls with data...

It's $0.10/min. BUT you must have extra cash in your account, otherwise it will just stop working altogether.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

If the T-Mo $30 dork plan isn't cutting it for me, would my best option just be going to the $45 Straight Talk plan? Mostly since 250 Minutes (after the $15 extra in the account) isn't enough, and I don't seem to need as much data as I thought at first (but then again, I haven't even had my phone for three months yet, but I doubt data usage habits would change like that). Switching over should pretty much be as simple as getting the activation kit and following the directions, keeping my number, right?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Straight Talk is a far better value in my opinion - refill cards can be found online for as cheap as $37/mo and you can use AT&T's far superior network. Just buy a SIM on their website or at Walmart. I think people tend to recommend the TMo plan because they're a less evil company.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Volfogg posted:

If the T-Mo $30 dork plan isn't cutting it for me, would my best option just be going to the $45 Straight Talk plan?

Exactly my scenario. I ended up ordering a Straight Talk SIM and will be trying their service out. It will be nice to have the coverage and unlimited minutes. If it's really bad there is always AIO.

blargle posted:

Straight Talk is a far better value in my opinion - refill cards can be found online for as cheap as $37/mo and you can use AT&T's far superior network.

Where is a good place to get the refill cards on the cheap for Straight Talk?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

poxin posted:

Exactly my scenario. I ended up ordering a Straight Talk SIM and will be trying their service out. It will be nice to have the coverage and unlimited minutes. If it's really bad there is always AIO.

Where is a good place to get the refill cards on the cheap for Straight Talk?

I've had great success with ST AT&T, I even get LTE when I'm out and about (not at home though :().

Cheap StraightTalk refills can be harder to come by but often there are deals for 3, 6, or 12 months of service for cheap per month. Start by looking in these places:
eBay
refillmobi.net
Amazon
crazygametime

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

The Hunter

Now, just to be sure before I buy the Straight Talk activation kit, will I be able to get actual 4G LTE if I use the AT&T based SIM Card, or do I have to stick with the T-Mobile based SIM if I want actual 4G? Mostly asking since I just want to get everything squared away with as little hassle as possible. Using a Nexus 5 from the Play Store if that helps/changes anything.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Volfogg posted:

Now, just to be sure before I buy the Straight Talk activation kit, will I be able to get actual 4G LTE if I use the AT&T based SIM Card, or do I have to stick with the T-Mobile based SIM if I want actual 4G? Mostly asking since I just want to get everything squared away with as little hassle as possible. Using a Nexus 5 from the Play Store if that helps/changes anything.

You'll get LTE with att, and HSDPA with tmo. Go with whichever has better coverage in your area. You wouldn't notice a huge difference in speeds between the two.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Volfogg posted:

I have Straight Talk with the ATT SIM on my N5 and get LTE, so it should be fine.

It's pretty drat good LTE, laying in bed I get around - 88 dBm and around 17 mBit down, and I live in rural PA.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm buying a Straight Talk kit tomorrow and throwing the AT&T SIM in there. Keeping my number should be simple though, right? I ported my number over to T-Mobile's Prepaid from the Family Plan I was on over on Verizon shortly after I activated my T-Mo SIM since I didn't have all the information I needed at that time. Transferring it from the T-Mo Prepaid to Straight Talk shouldn't be a problem then, right?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
AIO's network is down AGAIN. Nothing will work so I decided to check their facebook page and hoo boy...lotta unhappy folks.

This is it, I'm done and switching.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BonoMan posted:

AIO's network is down AGAIN. Nothing will work so I decided to check their facebook page and hoo boy...lotta unhappy folks.

This is it, I'm done and switching.

Oh, so that's what happened. Was just gonna go here to check.

Is AT&T itself affected or just AIO?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ThermoPhysical posted:

If it's like last time, I think it's just AIO.

And last time it was like 4 or 5 hours I think. Ridiculous.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BonoMan posted:

If it's like last time, I think it's just AIO.

And last time it was like 4 or 5 hours I think. Ridiculous.

From what I've noticed, it's only the second time this year.

At least it's not like Virgin Mobile where it was out all night or Straight Talk where MMS/data/SMS just stops working and they won't even explore why and blame your phone.

It sucks but it's not the absolute worst.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

At least when you can't load a page on Aio it's because the network is actually down and not just that it's Sprint.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

At least when you can't load a page on Aio it's because the network is actually down and not just that it's Sprint.

Haha... I remember Sprint. :v: Apparently they have LTE in Cedar Rapids, IA now.

Anyway, it's not all roses on Straight Talk either since their Verizon line just went down a few nights ago and came back up. I'd chalk all of this up to "It's MVNO."

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
AIO didn't go down today in Boston. Weird.

Is this just an isolated thing?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ThermoPhysical posted:

GoPhone worked without issue here today in Detroit. Never had an issue yet, actually. It's like regular AT&T but cheaper. I love it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BoyBlunder posted:

AIO didn't go down today in Boston. Weird.

Is this just an isolated thing?

Judging by their Facebook, it was pretty nationwide.

edit:

ThermoPhysical posted:

From what I've noticed, it's only the second time this year.

At least it's not like Virgin Mobile where it was out all night or Straight Talk where MMS/data/SMS just stops working and they won't even explore why and blame your phone.

It sucks but it's not the absolute worst.

It may be the second time this year, but it's the second time in like two weeks and the service JUST started nationwide in September.

And it's not like a hiccup in the system. It just goes down for hours at a time. That's pretty inexecusable.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BonoMan posted:

It may be the second time this year, but it's the second time in like two weeks and the service JUST started nationwide in September.

And it's not like a hiccup in the system. It just goes down for hours at a time. That's pretty inexecusable.

I'd say it's kinda growing pains, I guess. They just started it this year. Hopefully it's not like what's coming when they change to Cricket.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
I'm porting my number from T-Mobile prepaid to Straight Talk. Entered all the info on their website to get the ball rolling, checked out, etc. I never got payment confirmation or any indication they will start porting my service over, no email, nothing. I see that I have a payment history for the $45 plan on their site but that same page tells me I need to activate my sim as if I did nothing.

Is this a normal thing and I just need to be patient? My phone still indicates no service. Unknown to me I started this process 3 minutes after their support went offline, doh!

" There is an alert for this phone. Please Click here. To Activate your service..."

Edit: Oh lovely, looks like there are two charges for the $45 plan on my account and my service was activated with a new number instead of the one I told it to port. Guess I'll just call them in the morning, ugh.

poxin fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 20, 2013

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Does anyone know of a plan that meets this criteria (US)?

-Unlimited Calling
-Some texting, but unlimited isn't necessary
-MMS included
-No data needed
-$30/mo

My wife's mother currently has MetroPCS for $25/mo, unlimited texting and calling, but can't send MMS. She asked me about other options, but most other plans seem higher because they try to make it unlimited voice/text/data. Republic Wireless would be great except for the fact that they think Canada is part of the US while Puerto Rico is International :argh:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Tmobile has a prepaid unlimited voice/text with 50 MB of data plan for $35/month. Only thing I'm not 100% sure of is if MMS is included in the unlimited texts or if it would count against the 50 MB of data.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Volfogg posted:

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm buying a Straight Talk kit tomorrow and throwing the AT&T SIM in there. Keeping my number should be simple though, right? I ported my number over to T-Mobile's Prepaid from the Family Plan I was on over on Verizon shortly after I activated my T-Mo SIM since I didn't have all the information I needed at that time. Transferring it from the T-Mo Prepaid to Straight Talk shouldn't be a problem then, right?

I went from Verizon to the Tmo dork plan to Straight Talk without any issues, so it should work fine. Just keep in mind that your account number is your number with a 1 in front of it (like dialing a number with a country code). It took around 1 hour to complete the port for me, and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

poxin posted:

I'm porting my number from T-Mobile prepaid to Straight Talk. Entered all the info on their website to get the ball rolling, checked out, etc. I never got payment confirmation or any indication they will start porting my service over, no email, nothing. I see that I have a payment history for the $45 plan on their site but that same page tells me I need to activate my sim as if I did nothing.

Is this a normal thing and I just need to be patient? My phone still indicates no service. Unknown to me I started this process 3 minutes after their support went offline, doh!

" There is an alert for this phone. Please Click here. To Activate your service..."

Edit: Oh lovely, looks like there are two charges for the $45 plan on my account and my service was activated with a new number instead of the one I told it to port. Guess I'll just call them in the morning, ugh.

I'm not sure what happened, but my wife hosed her transfer up badly. Got A whole new number and all. She spoke to customer service and got it all straightened out, but it took a couple hours of playing phone tag. They told her it would be fixed (Which it was, her online account showed the right number after awhile, instead of her new one), but the rep neglected to tell her she would need a new SIM.

One was mailed out and got to us in two days, but the shoddy communication by the customer service really sucked.

Edit: Whoops, phone posted a double post, sorry!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

clockworx posted:

Does anyone know of a plan that meets this criteria (US)?

-Unlimited Calling
-Some texting, but unlimited isn't necessary
-MMS included
-No data needed
-$30/mo

My wife's mother currently has MetroPCS for $25/mo, unlimited texting and calling, but can't send MMS. She asked me about other options, but most other plans seem higher because they try to make it unlimited voice/text/data. Republic Wireless would be great except for the fact that they think Canada is part of the US while Puerto Rico is International :argh:

How "unlimited"? TMobile had a $30/month plan that gives you 1500 minutes or texts, virtually no data. It's a little weird, but works great for my parents that call a lot but don't text or use data. 25 hours of talk is inconceivable for me, but I'm fine with the nerd plan.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Uthor posted:

How "unlimited"? TMobile had a $30/month plan that gives you 1500 minutes or texts, virtually no data. It's a little weird, but works great for my parents that call a lot but don't text or use data. 25 hours of talk is inconceivable for me, but I'm fine with the nerd plan.

I asked the same question, we did the math, and it's definitely "unlimited". 91 hrs/month average for the last 4 months.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Anyone using Google All Access Music on Straight Talk? I'm curious how much data it's using a month, or if they flag it as streaming. It's known to have much higher data usage than Spotify and Pandora so I'm afraid to let it stream over cellular.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

blargle posted:

Anyone using Google All Access Music on Straight Talk? I'm curious how much data it's using a month, or if they flag it as streaming. It's known to have much higher data usage than Spotify and Pandora so I'm afraid to let it stream over cellular.

Not much help,as I'm on t-mo unlimited, but when I stream gmusic pretty frequently on high quality it uses upwards of 2-2.5GB/mo, that's doing maybe 15 hours total.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So, I've been using Republic Wireless for the last month. I've been wanting to save a bit of money and thought the hybrid Wifi calling deal was awesome, as I'm on wifi 95% of my time as it is.

A month later and if things stay this way I'll be with them for a long while, especially if an easy root method comes out for the Moto X (which is a loving fantastic phone).

I'm on the $10 Calling+texting plan, calls sound great, Sprint coverage is good enough for that and I don't need internet when I'm out and about usually, but you can change up your plan on the fly.

Overall I am extremely satisfied for the value of this plan, even the $25 or $40 plan are awesome deals if you get decent Sprint data coverage.

I've got a referral link if anyone wants $19 off their first bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Lblitzer posted:

Republic Wireless

I've been toying with this idea since they started carrying the Moto X. I have massive debt I'm trying to clear out and looking to minimize costs in all areas of my life, so it seems to be a good fit.

On the other hand, I was on Sprint way back in the day and it was loving terrible reception everywhere.

Is the Moto X on Republic Wireless up to 4.4 yet?

• Locked thread