Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
For some less stupid MMA journalism, go read Jack Slack writing about Mark Hunt's improved striking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I'm just honestly not sure why you watch sports is you didn't like Hunt-Bigfoot. I was yelling at the TV

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Lots of MMA nerds no poo poo buy into the whole bushido spirit idea of MMA and hate the dumb jocks that actually pay money and keep the sport afloat. Like I would not be shocked if that annoying guy who always has bad opinions (you know who I'm talking about, the humorless fat white guy) didn't like Hunt/Bigfoot because it wasn't "technical" enough despite the fact that Mark Hunt executed techniques like a pro WHILE INJURED.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

1st AD posted:

that annoying guy who always has bad opinions (you know who I'm talking about, the humorless fat white guy)

mobn?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

1st AD posted:

Lots of MMA nerds no poo poo buy into the whole bushido spirit idea of MMA and hate the dumb jocks that actually pay money and keep the sport afloat. Like I would not be shocked if that annoying guy who always has bad opinions (you know who I'm talking about, the humorless fat white guy) didn't like Hunt/Bigfoot because it wasn't "technical" enough despite the fact that Mark Hunt executed techniques like a pro WHILE INJURED.

Isn't Snowden the skinny, pocket-protector type of annoying nerd?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Australian Murdoch press won't shut up

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...o-1226779851620

quote:

Phil Rothfield sits down with UFC Australia boss after scathing column that enraged MMA fans worldwide

Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large
The Daily Telegraph
December 10, 2013 10:00PM

expand

Share on facebook

Your Friends' Activity

NEW! Discover news with your friends. Give it a try.
To get going, simply connect with your favourite social network:
Facebook

Brazilian Antonio

Brazilian Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva bleeds heavily from his face during his fight with Mark Hunt at the UFC event in Brisbane. Picture: Marc Robertson Source: News Limited

< Prev

Next >

••
UFC Honours even as Hunt & 'Bigfoot' fight to brutal draw 1:15

Play video

Mark Hunt and Antonio 'Bigfoot' SIlva have fought to a brutal draw at the UFC event in Brisbane.

<>

UFC 'Ultimate Fighting Championship' bos...
UFC Honours even as Hunt & 'Bigfoot'...

The Australian boss of UFC has passionately defended the sport amid calls to ban cage fighting in Australia.

The sport's harshest critic, Sports Editor-at-Large Phil Rothfield, caught up with Tom Wright yesterday.

Buzz: I've never had more reaction to a column in 35 years of sports writing. You've got a fanatical band of supporters.

READ BUZZ ROTHFIELD'S ORIGINAL EXPLOSIVE COLUMN

Tom: We have a remarkable global fan base. Very knowledgeable, very passionate. They respect the hard work, discipline and focus of our athletes.

They genuinely look up to them as role models. They have expertise in martial arts like Taekwondo, judo, karate, boxing, freestyle wrestling - disciplines that many parents put their children into.

They learn respect, conditioning, discipline, leadership. They are the principles you learn. If you attend a UFC event, you see these characteristics on display.

Mark Hunt (R) and Antonio Silva during their brutal heavyweight UFC bout in Brisbane, hailed one of the best fights of all ti...

Mark Hunt (R) and Antonio Silva during their brutal heavyweight UFC bout in Brisbane, hailed one of the best fights of all time by MMA officials and fans. Picture: Marc Robertson Source: News Limited

Buzz: Surely you are not telling me UFC is a children's sport.

Tom: I'm saying they can learn a lot of those life characteristics I mentioned. The vast majority will not end up fighting for the UFC.

It's no different to kids going into footy, cricket or rugby league. You play these sports in high school and on the weekend but not everyone has the talent to play NRL or AFL level.

Buzz: You call your competitors role models. It concerns me kids are copy cats. They look up to Shane Warne and try to bowl like he used to. Kids try to play soccer like David Beckham.

Is that a good thing. Do we want them doing this sort of thing on the streets or in the school playgrounds?

Tom: You don't have to copy and emulate your sports heroes by going onto the street to do it.

They can compete, learn and train in a proper and controlled environment.

Buzz: I'm sorry, but I don't like the bloody images. They make me sick. Why wasn't it stopped the other night when you could hardly see them for blood. If a player was covered in blood in an NRL game, they be removed from the field straight away.

Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva punches Mark Hunt in their heavyweight fight.

Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva punches Mark Hunt in their heavyweight fight. Source: Getty Images

Tom: They are tested for Hepatitis A and B, HIV and other blood diseases before very fight.

The safety of our athletes is and always will be our number one concern before and after fights.

They all go through rigorous medical testing to ensure they are fit to compete.

Buzz: What about drug testing?

Tom: They are tested before and after fight for performance enhancing drugs, which is overseen by the US combat sport authority.

They have a code and we apply it to our fighters. The instances of drug use are extremely low compared to other sports.

We've fined and suspended athletes for up to 12 months.

Buzz: What about kids in the sport. What age limit applies. I hear you have junior academies in America.

Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva of Brazil and Mark Hunt grapple during the UFC Brisbane bout.

Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva of Brazil and Mark Hunt grapple during the UFC Brisbane bout. Source: Getty Images

Tom: Professional MMA starts at about 18. They start younger in amateurs where there are far more safety procedures in place.

They use chin protectors, head-gear, there is no use of the elbow, shorter time limits and very close supervision.

Buzz: I still can't believe the punishment some of these fighters cop.

Tom: The referee and the doctor have the authority to stop a fight. They have a responsibility to always ensure the athletes can properly defend themselves and properly fight.

If there is any concern it is stopped immediately. We take their safety very seriously. What's important is the way we treat concussion.

They get put on medial suspensions for 30, 60 or 90 days. I played rugby back in the 70's. I had six or seven concussions.

I'd walk off the field and my coach would say 'shake it off Tom' and two minutes later you are back out there.

We have a third party, an athletics commission, that makes these jurisdictions. It's not us deciding to medically suspend a fighter. Our doctors don't work for us. A medical doctor paid by the team or the event organisers can be somewhat conflicted and that doesn't necessarily bring credibility.

Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva of Brazil looks on in his heavyweigh fight against Mark Hunt.

Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva of Brazil looks on in his heavyweigh fight against Mark Hunt. Source: Getty Images

Buzz: Sorry, to keep harping on it, but those bloody images make me feel sick.

Tom: It's not everybody's cup of tea. It's okay if you don't like the sport.

I have a problem when people say they don't like the sport because there are no rules.

There are tons of rules to protect the health and safety of the athletes.

Buzz: Hold on, an elbow to the head can kill someone.

Tom: If I may finish please. I don't like it when people say they don't like UFC because of mismatches or unfair competition. That's not a true statement.

Buzz: I saw one bloke, 41 years of age, held on the ground for almost three rounds getting belted.

He was outclassed and got absolutely pummelled. We knew after 30 seconds he couldn't win.

Tom: Yes, that was Anthony Perosh. His record was good. He'd won four of his previous five fights. He'd asked for that fight. He's a 10-time Australian black belt champion.

He had an off night. I met with him afterwards. The first thing he said was: "Tom, I'm sorry I let you down." It happens sometime. He'd won his previous fight as an underdog.

Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva of Brazil throws a kick against Mark Hunt.

Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva of Brazil throws a kick against Mark Hunt. Source: Getty Images

Buzz: Isn't this sport banned in France?

Tom: That's correct it's no permitted in France. A handful of other countries are the same.

We've ensured the sport is properly regulated in all countries where our events are staged.

We had to make sure the sport would grow responsibly and professionally.

Buzz: What about your demographics. What sort of people follow the sport.

Tom: This year we held 33 events around the world. In Toronto we had more than 55,000 at the event.

In the US we have a seven-year broadcasting deal with Fox. Our content is available in 145 countries and in 800 million households.

It's the fastest growing sport in the world, in fact the fastest growing sport ever.

I'll give you another example with the Nine MSN website. During and after the fight in Brisbane, UFC attracted more web traffic than the Ashes Test.

I'm told it was 300 clicks per second.

Mark Hunt connects with a punch during the UFC Brisbane bout against Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva.

Mark Hunt connects with a punch during the UFC Brisbane bout against Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva. Source: Getty Images

Buzz: Having such a huge following worries me and the impact it has on society. We have the NSW police commissioner talking about that aspect in the paper. What do you say to that.

Tom: This is what I'd say to him. Please judge our sport on facts and objectively. We've met with police and the facts are the UFC has fewer incidents than other major events.

Buzz: Sorry, you missed my point. It's more a society concern with bashing in Kings Cross and muggings on the streets. It's the impact on kids copying their sporting heroes and trying this sort of stuff in the school yards.

Tom: I'm sure they have those worries but the statistics will show that is not the case with the people who attend our events and our fans who are very respectful and admire the sportsmanship of the competitors.

Buzz: Do you think fans like the blood side of the sport.

The referee calls on the doctor to check on Antonio Silva who is cut and bleeding.

The referee calls on the doctor to check on Antonio Silva who is cut and bleeding. Source: Getty Images

Tom: Like the is wrong word. They understand it's a tough sport. There's blood in hockey, blood in rugby, there's blood in all sports.

They understand it's part of the sport.

Buzz: So if you had advice for parents, would you tell them to let their kids fight.

Tom: I would say they should introduce them into individual martial arts to learn qualities like honour, respect, commitment and physical fitness.

Buzz: I wrote the other day women should not be allowed into a cage. I was labelled sexist but I don't think it's a sport for women. That's the way I feel.

Tom: Women can make choices the same as men can. Three Australian women went to the London Olympics to compete in combat sports.

I have three daughters and four sisters. I grew up in a house where they were allowed to make informed decisions of their own.

No-one forced them to do anything. Women should have the same opportunities as men in all sport.

Mark Hunt punches Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva of Brazil.

Mark Hunt punches Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva of Brazil. Source: Getty Images

Buzz: Look into a crystal ball. How big will UFC be in Australia in 10 years.

Tom: I'd say it will be among the top five sports codes. Right now it's number 11 here according to our research.

It Canada it's number four, in the US it's number four and in Brazil it's number two, only after soccer. In time we'd like to take our events to every city in Australia, even down to Tasmania. And Darwin.

We're trying to build an industry around mixed martial arts and get more and more Australian engaged in activity.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...6-1226780171957

quote:

No tolerance for bloody thuggery of Ultimate Fighting Championship, says NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione

exclusive mark morri crime editor
The Daily Telegraph
December 11, 2013 12:00AM

Print

expand

Share on facebook

Your Friends' Activity

Facebook

Reminds Andrew Scipione pf crime scene photos of victims / Picture: Mark Robertson

Reminds Andrew Scipione pf crime scene photos of victims / Picture: Mark Robertson Source: News Limited

NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione has expressed concerns about the influence the UFC phenomenon is having on young men and a lethal new craze sweeping the US called "Knockout'', where innocent bystanders are king hit purely for amusement.

Mr Scipione said he understood UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - was a hugely popular sport but said images of the sport reminded him of ``crime scene photos of victims of assaults on footpaths waiting to be treated by paramedics''.

NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione.

NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione. Source: News Limited
He said he worried about its impact on young men, especially if alcohol was added to the mix, as hundreds of NSW police take to the streets this weekend as part of Operation Unite, targeting alcohol-fuelled violence.

ANDREW SCIPIONE - THE BOYS IN BLUE MAKE A UNITED STATEMENT

"There are no rules, the fighters are like caged animals and the majority of people exposed to UFC would be young men,'' he said.

"(It is) the fastest growing sport in the world for men and women.

"You can watch it in your loungeroom, they are bloody messes, both men and women with blood streaming from their noses.

"But if this happened in the street people would react with shock and horror.''

He said he was shocked by images of the sport in The Daily Telegraph this week and an accompanying, highly critical article by sports editor-at-large Phil "Buzz'' Rothfield, which elicited an overwhelming response online.

PHIL ROTHFIELD ONE-ON-ONE WITH THE BOSS OF UFC

UFC IS A BLOODY DISGRACE, SAYS BUZZ ROTHFIELD

And this weekend signalled the start of the "silly season'', he said, with police "on the streets every night and especially on weekends targeting booze fuelled violence''.

But UFC managing director Tom Wright rejected claims the sport promoted or encouraged violence, saying "the statistics will show that is not the case with the people who attend our events and our fans who are very respectful and admire the sportsmanship of the competitors''.

Mr Scipione also spoke out against the "Knockout'' craze, after seeing YouTube video of a random attack.

The point of the "game", which has been linked to several deaths in the US, is to sneak up behind an unsuspecting victim and knock them out with one hit.

Teens attack strangers with knockout game 2:32

Play video

Randomly knocking out unsuspecting strangers is a terrifying new 'game' being played by teenagers.

Autoplay

On
Off

A victim of the US 'knockout' craze lies dazed on ...

A victim of the US ‘knockout’ craze lies dazed on the footpath. Source: Supplied

Victims are not robbed and are chosen at random - old, young or even female.

The attacks are often captured on mobile phone cameras and posted online, with gloating messages.

"We will watch it like a hawk and if we see any evidence of it here we will come down on it like a ton of bricks, '' Mr Scipione said yesterday.

"There hasn't been any evidence to date (of local incidents) but we know in America it has turned deadly and has gone viral across the world.''

He said he was torn between "giving oxygen to this sickening craze and my obligation to warn the community''.

There are some defenders though: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...z-1226779227922

quote:

Sport
News Limited's Paul Kent defends brutality of UFC, says it 'contains the essence of sport'

Paul Kent
The Daily Telegraph
December 10, 2013 12:00AM

expand

Share on facebook

Your Friends' Activity

Facebook

Play video

Autoplay

On
Off

Mark Hunt and Brazilian Antonio Silva in the UFC Heavyweight Bout.

Mark Hunt and Brazilian Antonio Silva in the UFC Heavyweight Bout. Source: News Limited
<>

UFC Honours even as Hunt & 'Bigfoot'...
Mark Hunt and Brazilian Antonio Silva in...

SOMETIMES, there is just too much fight in the fight for some people.

They like their fight sanitised. Easy on the eye, even if there is a wild mismatch taking place right before them.

No blood, see, no foul.

Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva of Brazil connects with a punch during the UFC Brisbane bout.

Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva of Brazil connects with a punch during the UFC Brisbane bout. Source: Getty Images

George Foreman famously said "Boxing is the sport all others aspire to", and he was once right about that.

What he meant was the qualities we look for in any great sporting contest - the courage to keep giving, to desire, to go beyond normal limits - were found in greater quantities in boxing than in any other sport.

But boxing is dying nowadays, suffering a prolonged death by greedy promoters and selfish fighters, too many of whom are more concerned about protecting their records by fighting outclassed opponents than they are putting on a true show for paying fans.

Sugar Ray Robinson lost 19 fights during his career and is considered the greatest of all time. Nowadays, fighters won't risk their zero in the loss column unless it's against the payday at the end, a Mayweather or a Pacquiao.

Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva and Mark Hunt grapple in their heavyweight fight.

Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva and Mark Hunt grapple in their heavyweight fight. Source: Getty Images

So we have been slowly conditioned to passive, one-way fights where we essentially go along to watch one fighter pad his record until his payday comes along.

The fighting heart had left the fight game.

Until the UFC came along.

The UFC claims it's the fastest growing sport in the world. It is the biggest pay-per-view provider in the world.

It sold out the 12,000-seat Brisbane Entertainment Centre in days when most boxing cards around Australia can't sell a few hundred tickets.

And yet apparently they have it all wrong.

Or are we the problem?

Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva of Brazil and Mark Hunt grapple during the UFC Brisbane bout.

Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva of Brazil and Mark Hunt grapple during the UFC Brisbane bout. Source: Getty Images

Those who get the UFC know that they have put the fight back into the fight game.

The UFC doesn't stand for the posers, for guys protecting records or guys that prefer to be known as a fighter than be a fighter.

Mark Hunt and Antonio Silva showed all that in Saturday's main event in Brisbane when both men, exhausted and covered in blood, gave until they had nothing left.

There was greatness in Saturday's main event.

Both men suffered head cuts and bled a little.

Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva of Brazil connects with a knee to the face of Mark Hunt.

Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva of Brazil connects with a knee to the face of Mark Hunt. Source: Getty Images

Some found that sickening. Forget that it was superficial.

I've split my head more times than I care to remember and everybody that has knows all you feel is a spreading warmth, followed by wetness.

It's never life threatening, rarely even painful.

This year the UFC celebrated 20 years, a milestone that passed without a single death in the cage.

The figures are rubbery in boxing, but averages out to slightly less than 10 deaths a year.

The argument that fighters are allowed to do things in a cage that's illegal on streets is tired.

You can't tackle anybody on a footpath either, not without an assault charge being laid, yet there are hundreds in every NRL game.

The UFC is a sport and, more than that, flourishes because it contains the essence of sport.

Lid fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 11, 2013

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Tom Wright handled that very well considering he was communicating with a man who was firm in his stance before the interview even started.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 11, 2013

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Is Australia the most histrionic "think of the children" country out there, or what? I mean, I've previously read news stories where Australian politicians have been talking about the desirability of severely censoring internet access for all Australians, and the like.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 11, 2013

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

EvanSchenck posted:

Is Australia the most histrionic "think of the children" country out there, or what?

australia is where rupert murdoch, founder of news corp, fox, sky, and basically the shittiest of the lovely news outlets in the world, got his start. its not a particularly australian phenomenon, but he does own a large amount of their media.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

david carmichael posted:

australia is where rupert murdoch, founder of news corp, fox, sky, and basically the shittiest of the lovely news outlets in the world, got his start. its not a particularly australian phenomenon, but he does own a large amount of their media.

And then they do the Think of the Children bit, they're actually banking on kids doing UFC poo poo, injuring themselves and uploading it to youtube. If Murdoch wasn't trying to couch all this as 'news' he'd be a marketing genius.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

david carmichael posted:

Yeah, it's definitely the media that starts that poo poo & our politicians fold under the pressure. The average man on the street thinks it's ridiculous.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Isn't Snowden the skinny, pocket-protector type of annoying nerd?

Actually no he is a bitter fat gently caress who is very vocal with his horribly bad opinions and despite this has incredibly thin skin. Honestly though, I don't think he merits talking about, he writes for Bleacher Report now and is irrelevant even within the tiny stupid fishbowl that is MMA journalism.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Is the bleacher report as bad in regards to MMA coverage as it is for its soccer coverage?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Byolante posted:

Is the bleacher report as bad in regards to MMA coverage as it is for its soccer coverage?

Well, since Jack Slack left BR for Fightland I'd say BR's MMA coverage has no redeeming features.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

DekeThornton posted:

Well, since Jack Slack left BR for Fightland I'd say BR's MMA coverage has no redeeming features.

He's actually still putting up new stuff on Bleacher Report. I think Fightland just wants him to drop technique breakdowns for interesting upcoming fights and they're not buying all his articles. So he puts the others on BR. Still the only reason to go there.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I really like jack slack's stuff.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Bean Fried posted:

Actually no he is a bitter fat gently caress who is very vocal with his horribly bad opinions and despite this has incredibly thin skin. Honestly though, I don't think he merits talking about, he writes for Bleacher Report now and is irrelevant even within the tiny stupid fishbowl that is MMA journalism.

So he's like the Bisping of MMA journalism? :v:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Wow, I had no idea Jack Slack was writing for Fightland. His articles there seem to be a lot more in depth then those on BR.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Fightland probably pays him a lot more, so :effort:

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Zach Arnold wrote a really dumb article

quote:

That is the sound of Zuffa getting castrated in their own backyard. And there were witnesses, all right.

To those sayin you can't compare the WWE digital network to the UFC's: Then why are there UFC employees in attendance for the announcement?

— Luca Fury (@FurysFightPicks) January 9, 2014

If it was so good then why are UFC employees interested in ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL??

quote:

On Tuesday, I did a radio interview for Sirius XM with Ricky Bones, RJ Clifford, and Steve Cofield to talk about UFC Fight Pass and why the service so far has not impressed many fans. You can listen to the interview here. The consensus amongst us as to why UFC rushed Fight Pass out for public consumption was, partially, due in part to the upcoming launch of the WWE Network. In other words, UFC wanted to win the media news cycle by launching Fight Pass first even if it wasn’t a complete product and a product not 100% tested for bugs or failures.

Does anyone actually think this? Did either of these companies really "try to win the media news cycle"? Does the success of one really inhibit the other? The answer to these questions is no.

quote:

UFC may laugh now but if their PPV buy rates keep dropping like WWE’s PPV buy rates have, look out.

Nope

quote:

1. Why did the UFC not launch Fight Pass as a joint venture with Fox Sports?

Fox Sports has all the technology & resources at its fingertips to make UFC Fight Pass a monstrous success for an online media property.

Because obviously Fox Sports has access to app development companies that a small company like Zuffa does not

quote:

4. Is the concept of PPV itself dead?

See above but it's pretty clearly still going okay

quote:

5. How will Viacom (through Bellator) jump into the zero TV fray with the UFC & WWE sharks in the water?
It was suggested, perhaps facetiously, that if there was a Bellator Fight Pass featuring TNA PPVs & GLORY kickboxing events that it would draw better than UFC Fight Pass.
Even if you dismiss that and put that notion to the side, there is some truth to the argument that Bellator (with their Viacom resources) could further fan the flames with Zuffa over digital content presented online.

By combining with two other companies no one really cares about, surely Bellator will topple UFC

quote:

What makes Bellator an MMA company with possibilities is the Viacom ownership and they know media real well. With WWE and UFC now into the zero TV fray for good, it’s time for Viacom to step up to the plate and make a big splash. They very well could do so if motivated. If that happens, it will create a headache for the UFC. Especially if Viacom was able to persuade WWE to move RAW/Smackdown to Spike TV in 2014.

This is it guys. This is the year Bellator becomes motivated and crushes everything because Viacom is going to spend all of their money and resources on promoting a B-league MMA organization.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

quote:

It was suggested, perhaps facetiously, that if there was a Bellator Fight Pass featuring TNA PPVs & GLORY kickboxing events that it would draw better than UFC Fight Pass.
Even if you dismiss that and put that notion to the side, there is some truth to the argument that Bellator (with their Viacom resources) could further fan the flames with Zuffa over digital content presented online.

A man got paid to write these words.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

you mean again?

Oh... drat.

I tried to read the article myself but the very first words stated WWE announcing their subscription service in Vegas was "ultimate humiliation" for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Welp, time to close shop boys we let some other company premiere a service at a tech trade show a few miles down the road from our offices.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Zach Arnold became a caricature of himself ages ago and hasn't written anything useful since.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

fatherdog posted:

Zach Arnold became a caricature of himself ages ago and hasn't written anything useful since.

sad but true *metallica rocks out*

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
idk i've been pretty happy with fight pass so far so eff u zach arnold :)

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/How-Training-with-Cain-Velasquez-Skateboarding-Have-Hardened-Luke-Rockhold-61889 this is a fairly loving spectacular headline. i don't take any issue with it, they are things he said, i just adore the presentation of the facts.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Triticum Guzzler posted:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/How-Training-with-Cain-Velasquez-Skateboarding-Have-Hardened-Luke-Rockhold-61889 this is a fairly loving spectacular headline. i don't take any issue with it, they are things he said, i just adore the presentation of the facts.

Shad Smith, toughest man in all the lands.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LobsterMobster posted:

Shad Smith, toughest man in all the lands.

Shad Smith is tough as hell by any metric, but he's not very good at fighting.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The idea that UFC rushed Fight Pass to market not because of an event they needed to air but because of WWE is hilarious.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

The idea that UFC rushed Fight Pass to market not because of an event they needed to air but because of WWE is hilarious.

Saffedine vs Lim?

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

mewse posted:

Saffedine vs Lim?

UFC 168 had to be the official launch, otherwise they'd have to wait over a month and launch it on an event that no one is going to watch.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh, for advertising it. I was confused.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Our very own LobsterMobster did a cool article on fighter's dogs

http://www.uproxx.com/sports/2014/01/fighter-dogs-power-rankings/

Pretty neat but I feel like War Machine's snakes should be in the section w/ the bunnies and not-dogs.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Yuriy posted:

Our very own LobsterMobster did a cool article on fighter's dogs

http://www.uproxx.com/sports/2014/01/fighter-dogs-power-rankings/

Pretty neat but I feel like War Machine's snakes should be in the section w/ the bunnies and not-dogs.

Thanks, Yuriy! Part of it is I didn't know about his snakes. Sorry :(

Also, just got positive responses from Thug Rose and Julie Kedzie. I'm a pretty big deal now.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

LobsterMobster posted:

Also, just got positive responses from Thug Rose and Julie Kedzie. I'm a pretty big deal now.

Gustafsson has two dogs now. They are named Sativa and Ghost. Something I have to remember when he fights Jones next time, so I can make horrible jokes about snitching and herb.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

DekeThornton posted:

Gustafsson has two dogs now. They are named Sativa and Ghost. Something I have to remember when he fights Jones next time, so I can make horrible jokes about snitching and herb.

I like my names better because they are mean-spirited and mocking :colbert:

Also, surprised Hendo doesn't own a pug.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LobsterMobster posted:

I like my names better because they are mean-spirited and mocking :colbert:

Also, surprised Hendo doesn't own a pug.

Not enough oxygen in one house.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

LobsterMobster posted:

Please respond to J.K. with like, GREAT COMMENT JULIE! GOOD JOB! GREAT!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Not enough oxygen in one house.

They would both need c-pap machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

the article about how the ufc would do poorly in japan because of the inscrutable nature of the japanee was pretty useful, for me.

• Locked thread