Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I'm realizing that being 6'2" and 170lbs means that I'm thin but not necessarily in shape. The years are just going to get more harsh, as well. I've never been into gyms because the social aspects don't appeal to me and lifting/running just seems super boring. Rock gyms seem a hell of a lot more interesting but I really don't feel like waiting around to find someone who will want to go.

The local places seem to really stress bringing a partner on their website for their belay/intro class, but I really want to be able to just do this on my time and not have to wait around for others to be interested. I just moved to a new area and don't yet know anyone.

What's the viability of this stuff being the post-work workout? It really seems like going alone is a faux pas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackchaos
Aug 6, 2008

Smuckles posted:

I'm realizing that being 6'2" and 170lbs means that I'm thin but not necessarily in shape. The years are just going to get more harsh, as well. I've never been into gyms because the social aspects don't appeal to me and lifting/running just seems super boring. Rock gyms seem a hell of a lot more interesting but I really don't feel like waiting around to find someone who will want to go.

The local places seem to really stress bringing a partner on their website for their belay/intro class, but I really want to be able to just do this on my time and not have to wait around for others to be interested. I just moved to a new area and don't yet know anyone.

What's the viability of this stuff being the post-work workout? It really seems like going alone is a faux pas.

Look for places that have bouldering. Bouldering you can solo as much as you like. In fact when I started all I did was boulder and my gym is 24hrs. So I would go in super late just to avoid people.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Bouldering also suits much better as a post-work thing, as you can spend much more time on the wall and so go for shorter periods of time. It's great, and don't worry about going by yourself; it's actually pretty hard not to talk to people if you're doing similar problems.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 8, 2013

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Cool. I'll check that out. I'm not specifically looking to avoid people. I'm just looking at climbing as an alternative to a regular gym. It seems viable as long as it's not dependent on making sure I'm not heading in alone on a weekday.

jackchaos
Aug 6, 2008
Bouldering is a great alternate for regular gym work out. If you aren't trying to build a certain physique. Other then looking like a climber.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

jackchaos posted:

Bouldering is a great alternate for regular gym work out. If you aren't trying to build a certain physique. Other then looking like a climber.

You'll be just as skinny, you just might get some shoulders and forearms that look like you made masturbation a career.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

You can also look for gyms with auto-belays, mine has one and it means I never need to find someone to go with.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Rotator cuff strains suck.

one1two2three3
Mar 22, 2013

Smuckles posted:

Cool. I'll check that out. I'm not specifically looking to avoid people. I'm just looking at climbing as an alternative to a regular gym. It seems viable as long as it's not dependent on making sure I'm not heading in alone on a weekday.

Climbing is also a good motivator for going to the gym. If you find your self really getting into it you'll learn your physical weaknesses, and have a purpose for working out in other ways.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

My right bicep is acting up at muscle hold to my forearm. When I do heavy bouldery moves - overhanging, sidepulls/gastons it starts to hurt. 2 weeks of resting (being sick) hasn't fixed it. If I keep at it I'll hurt more and more and my arm will finally go slightly numb.

A multisport nerd friend suggested that my bicep doesn't relax post workout and just by gently massaging it and it started hurting just like after a heavy boulder session.

Someone suggested I should tape it but it doesn't help that much from what I can tell.

Anywhere I can read up on this type of problem or should I contact a physiotherapist? Anyone else got similar problems? I'm not even sure what it is. Is it tendonitis?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Could be tendonitis, could be a minor tear. Hard to say.

Go to a doctor or PT.

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

I've had minor tendonitis issues in the same spot. My inner elbow would start to ache over the course of a session, and would continue hurting throughout the day after I climbed.

Two weeks wasn't enough to heal completely, I think I took at least three weeks off and got back into things slowly. It's annoying to be unable to climb but worth it in the long run.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Not being able to climb for three weeks would suck. Regular roped climbing and moderately heavy things like chin ups are fine. It's just the heaviest moves that causes aches. I think I'll go see a PT soon.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
Been having a issue for a while now when I climb. While I am fine for the majority of moves, if I ever hold myself to the wall with a arm bent to have my hand below my nipples and my chest pulled into the wall, I will feel a sharp pain shoot up across my shoulder when I release. Does anyone know what is causing this and anything I can do to fix the issue?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Ingenium posted:

Been having a issue for a while now when I climb. While I am fine for the majority of moves, if I ever hold myself to the wall with a arm bent to have my hand below my nipples and my chest pulled into the wall, I will feel a sharp pain shoot up across my shoulder when I release. Does anyone know what is causing this and anything I can do to fix the issue?

Lots of stretching before climbing? There are some nerve-related stretches you can do too. Pretend you're holding a tray of food like a server at a restaurant, and while keeping your palm facing upwards, rotate it inwards and under your bicep until your arm is basically reaching straight out and away from your side, and your palm is still facing upwards. Then tilt your head slowly to the left and right and you'll feel a funny little sensation along your neck down through your arm. Do it while standing up!

It's kind of weird but it definitely stretches that region pretty well if you're delicate about it. It's also amusing to imagine people reading this post and doing it at their computer.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Guys, guys.... I went rock climbing for the first time on Saturday and... I had all the fun, like every single bit of it. I was there for three hours and would have stayed longer had my friend not wanted to leave the gym. I'm already itching to get back and am considering buying a membership for the year. It's one of those activities I wished I would have started a decade ago!

I managed to get up all the routes I tried up to a 5-11 difficulty thing (cheated a tiny bit by grabbing on to some easier trail stuff on the side), only fell once. Coming down was sort of awkward at first, but some dude saw me coming down and gave me some advice and then I was swat repelling the rest of the day. Thanks for the thread too, made the first time easier!

French Canadian posted:

It's kind of weird but it definitely stretches that region pretty well if you're delicate about it. It's also amusing to imagine people reading this post and doing it at their computer.

Totally just did this.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Texibus posted:

I managed to get up all the routes I tried up to a 5-11 difficulty thing (cheated a tiny bit by grabbing on to some easier trail stuff on the side), only fell once.
Pretty much everyone need several months of frequent climbing to reach USA 5.11. Rude as hell as a first timer almost doing one! One of the world's best climbers, Chris Sharma, did a 5.11b on his first day of climbing and that was a stunning feat.

Anyone got a hangboard at home by the way? Mine feels slippery compared to the one at the rock gym, even with chalk. I barely sweat but it could be greasy. Should I get a bottle of liquid chalk? It's wooden.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Is it just because of the smaller hand holds and the more vertical nature that increases that difficulty stuff?

jackchaos
Aug 6, 2008
Going to j tree for the week if you're a brave goon then stop by sheep's pass group g2 in the eve. Look for the rowdy ones.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Texibus posted:

Is it just because of the smaller hand holds and the more vertical nature that increases that difficulty stuff?

A whole host of things can be responsible for increased difficulty ratings, but there are always exceptions: how steep a route is can contribute to the difficulty (overhangs), but ones that are less than vertical (slab) can also be more difficult due to it's greater exposure to the elements such as rain and wind that overhangs are protected from1. Size of holds can contribute of course, but there are tons of routes that have huge holds which are very far apart. The Red River Gorge is infamous for this on such routes as Dogleg (5.12a-b?) which has very good holds separated by large slabs of blank wall. The grade itself isn't going to give you much information about the route, so a visual inspection at the gym or a guidebook description or "beta" (information regarding a route) at the crag is going to be your best bet apart from simply jumping on the route and giving it a try.

I don't know if that made any sense.

1Greater exposure to the elements means the holds and features get worn down and become smaller/smoother much faster

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Tips on BF/CM gear deals? I just need shoes and a harness.

Tarnien
Jul 4, 2003
Champion of the World!!!
If you're looking for something aggressive, Amazon has Five Ten Blackwings and Arrowheads for $70-80 each. I think they're just getting rid of last year's models, rather than it being Black Friday, but still a good deal.

Anyone have any recommendations for a comfortable baselayer/thermal for climbing? Going to be in Smith/Bishop a lot this Winter and will be climbing in the 20's frequently. Was thinking something like this? Anyone have any suggestions?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

agarjogger posted:

Tips on BF/CM gear deals? I just need shoes and a harness.

My rock gym is running deals on Friday, they had signs up last night. I don't need anything, as it happens, but it's not like they're opening early or anything so I wouldn't feel bad buying stuff. Maybe check yours.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Tarnien posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a comfortable baselayer/thermal for climbing? Going to be in Smith/Bishop a lot this Winter and will be climbing in the 20's frequently. Was thinking something like this? Anyone have any suggestions?

Arc'teryx 'Phase' stuff is really nice. I have one of the T-Shirts and I love it.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Tarnien posted:

Can't got wrong with an R1 Hoody. It's comfy as a base or over a light t-shirt. Doesn't really fit over a long sleeve shirt. Won't help with wind. Fit's under other things really well since it's a snug fit, but stretchy so it moves with you.

I'm also a fan of this, which is closer to what you linked, though lighter.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Climbed my first 6b in the gym last night, after my partner failed to climb the same route, i would say he is a much better climber than me i seem to be making up for my lack of technique with my long skinny frame should i feel guilty?

Tarnien
Jul 4, 2003
Champion of the World!!!

modig posted:

Can't got wrong with an R1 Hoody. It's comfy as a base or over a light t-shirt. Doesn't really fit over a long sleeve shirt. Won't help with wind. Fit's under other things really well since it's a snug fit, but stretchy so it moves with you.

I'm also a fan of this, which is closer to what you linked, though lighter.

I already have a BD Access Hoody for midlayer, but these look good. I'll keep them in mind in the future. Was more looking for baselayers for warmth in very cold conditions (high of 21 in Smith next weekend...), so grabbed a top and bottom Arc Teryx Phase SV. Hopefully now I won't freeze to death. Thanks for the suggestions!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Here's a fun training exercise:
http://www.planetgranite.com/news/2013/12/02/wow-footwork-frenzy-with-josh/

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006
I managed to do my first V4 today, that is at an indoor gym though. We went bouldering outside at for the first time at Glen Canyon. Mostly easy routes, 5.4s and 5.8s. Even though we had crash pads, its still intimidating knowing that the fall could hurt quite a bit.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Wow, that was a LOT harder than I thought it would be. Great exercise though.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!
I have my first bouldering competition this coming Friday and I'm starting to get excited.

Any advice?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Caf posted:

I have my first bouldering competition this coming Friday and I'm starting to get excited.

Any advice?

Really take time to read the problems beforehand, try not to go first on a problem, make sure you have a spotter so you can go full bore, make sure to warm up prior.

jackchaos
Aug 6, 2008

Caf posted:

Any advice?

Crush.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx

Caf posted:

Any advice?

Eat well coming into the comp. Don't warm up too hard, you probably have more climbing time then you can use if you climb like its a workout. Get an idea of the whole comp's point system or whatever and figure out how hard you want to climb and which routes are in that range. Take your time climbing, read the routes heavily as you wait your turn in the stack. Climb efficiently and rest between attempts,and take time to eat and drink throughout the day. Don't get too attached to one problem because it is so close and ignore potentially higher point values. If you can find a route that has a crux that is just your "style" it may be worth more points and more fun to climb. Have fun with it, it's still just climbing which is all because it's so fun.

henne fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 11, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Well, poo poo. My climbing partner, who I climb with twice a week, may have broken her tailbone. :ohdear: Awaiting further details.

I might need a new partner for a while, if anyone in the Baltimore metro area is looking.

Lazareth
Dec 28, 2004
haha, i'm not an '05, take that!

guppy posted:

Well, poo poo. My climbing partner, who I climb with twice a week, may have broken her tailbone. :ohdear: Awaiting further details.

I might need a new partner for a while, if anyone in the Baltimore metro area is looking.

That sucks, but it's good to see you're moving on so quickly.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx

Tarnien posted:

I already have a BD Access Hoody for midlayer, but these look good. I'll keep them in mind in the future. Was more looking for baselayers for warmth in very cold conditions (high of 21 in Smith next weekend...), so grabbed a top and bottom Arc Teryx Phase SV. Hopefully now I won't freeze to death. Thanks for the suggestions!

I climb at smith most of the time I go outside, and I like to climb in a long sleeve icebreaker baselayer and this. I also have a big down puffy I wear belaying along with some gloves. When you climb take off the puffy and go quick in the base and light midlayer, then get back down and get in your puffy again.

You want to wear something tight and stretchy that will block the wind. When its really cold at smith it has to be sunny to warm the rock so if you can block the wind you can get warm. A big puffy or too much layering will make you hot climbing and climbing in a puffy sucks anyways.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I climb in compression tops. More durable than wool, although I like wool and would wear it otherwise.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
There are a lot of good options for climbing sweaters (hoodies) out there. Almost every techy outdoors company will have something with a good combination of stretch, durability, fit, and warmth. I bought myself the Sportiva Galaxy Hoody, but only because I got it super-cheap and I can wear it to Michigan games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Lazareth posted:

That sucks, but it's good to see you're moving on so quickly.

I really hope she's okay. I'm not sure what happened -- it's snowed here, so it might have been on the ice or something, or maybe a fall bouldering -- but I asked once and I'm sure with the injury she's got other things on her mind than replying to my texts.