Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Oh hey, I can actually go to one of these things now. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Tatsuta Age posted:

So Ria Pell died tonight. Heart attack. That's pretty lovely, figured this thread would want to know.

That's awful. I only talked to her a couple times and she was really nice and seemed to enjoy talking about her food. The pancakes at Ria's Bluebird are so good that they've basically ruined all other pancakes for me.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
alright, the results are in:

Made the reservation today. I said we'd have between 10-12 people, and she said that they could fit up to 12 in a booth - so I guess that's our cap. Let me know if anyone can't make it, or if one or two other people want to slip in, we might have enough room (depending on +1s)

Wednesday, December 4th
7:30 pm
@ Shoya Izakaya

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

mindphlux posted:

Let me know if anyone can't make it, or if one or two other people want to slip in, we might have enough room (depending on +1s)
I'll try to come, so put me down. The only thing preventing me is that during the week, I tend to randomly work 12-16 hr days. I'll give it my all!

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

mindphlux posted:

Wednesday, December 4th
7:30 pm
@ Shoya Izakaya

Perfect, thanks for putting this together. I have an unending appetite for sushi, so I'm very much looking forward to this.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

Perfect, thanks for putting this together. I have an unending appetite for sushi, so I'm very much looking forward to this.

yeah, no problem. thanks for nagging me, I'm bad about putting things off.

I'll say also, shoya has good sushi, but their traditional izakaya menu is really amazing too. I'd suggest picking a few people next to you to share dishes with and just ordering tons of small plates - and definitely try some stuff you've never had before, it's tons of fun! :)

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

did someone actually giver their real google password hahaha

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Just a reminder about dinner tonight (Wednesday) @ 7:30. See ya there, ask for Barton's party of 10. We'll be coming from work, so should probably be able to make it on the dot, but if someone else beats us there I apologize.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

mindphlux posted:

Just a reminder about dinner tonight (Wednesday) @ 7:30. See ya there, ask for Barton's party of 10. We'll be coming from work, so should probably be able to make it on the dot, but if someone else beats us there I apologize.

I am so sorry but I am going to have to work late, so I and my plus 1 won't be able to make it. I'd be more upset if I didn't work in adoption law and wasn't creating family by working late.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

Are we going to be in one of those Japanese-style booths you sit on the floor? If so, I may need to take off early as that sitting position isn't really feasible for my fat rear end for that long.

I read through some reviews and I'm really excited to try some of the things there. I wrote down a list of ten items to try since it looks like the menu is really large and I'd have no idea where to start otherwise.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

godzirraRAWR posted:

Yakitori Jinbei in Smyrna, its at 41 and 75 near the Best Buy kinda sorta ish. Thats been my go to for YEARS. Granted, no where close to Buckhead :(

Apparently the owner died and the business was sold. I went there last week and was severely disappointed with the tonkotsu ramen, which I've had dozens of times over the eyars, and the service overall. I have also heard the yakitori is not as good anymore either.

On the other hand, there appears to be a new taqueria two doors down from them that looks authentic, so maybe it's not all a loss.

FordCQC fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 4, 2013

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

We'll be there right at 7:30 or a little after. Really looking forward to this.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I just got off work in Midtown, so parked at a bar near the office until traffic dies down.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I'll see you all there, however I'll be without my +1

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Are we going to be in one of those Japanese-style booths you sit on the floor? If so, I may need to take off early as that sitting position isn't really feasible for my fat rear end for that long.

I read through some reviews and I'm really excited to try some of the things there. I wrote down a list of ten items to try since it looks like the menu is really large and I'd have no idea where to start otherwise.

hopefully not, I have dislocated my knee like 4 times and have really shallow kneecap groove (THE MORE YOU KNOW!!!)

anyways I can't really comfortably sit for more than a little while like that either, I literally feel like my leg is going to tear itself in two :(

headin out now

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

hopefully not, I have dislocated my knee like 4 times and have really shallow kneecap groove (THE MORE YOU KNOW!!!)

anyways I can't really comfortably sit for more than a little while like that either, I literally feel like my leg is going to tear itself in two :(

headin out now

Good to know.

On my way. Super excited.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
ATL Goons: A+++ Would consume calories with again

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah, I liked the slightly smaller format, was a bit easier to talk to everyone. thanks for coming out everyone!

Actionate
Oct 17, 2004

DRIVING SKILLS +3
oh god i missed it, im such a horrible dinner goon

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
If you wanted to go to Gun Show at say, 6 PM on a Saturday, how early in advance would you need to book a reservation? If at all, I guess.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

I was there a couple weeks ago and the place was almost empty at 6:45 on a Saturday but quickly filled up after that.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I'm gonna be in Atlanta for the Chick Fil A Bowl and I need to know the hottest coolest place to go for dinner on the 30th. But I've been to Holeman and Finch/Restaurant Eugene and Woodfire Grill before so not those.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Go to One Eared Stag.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
octopus bar, gun show, the spence, just go to bacchanalia because it's honestly a value and the food is always good

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
in other news, tried ink and elm, it was pretty solid. huge space though, less than halfway full on a Sunday. service was good though.

also had a Transcendent™ dish at empire state south - my first time back in about a year. a corned goat loin with stewed goat ravioli and celeriac puree and fullgrain mustard or something. christ it was amazing. don't know if it's still on the menu, but my god. first dish I've had in quite a while that blew me away.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Just say no to the Varisty

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

WaterIsPoison posted:

I used to work at a firm in midtown that used the Varsity to cater their "Staff Appreciation Week" event. Holy poo poo it was nasty. I mean like two minutes after I ate it I just felt so dirty. Turned into greasy poo poo for the next 24 hours.

This taught me two things: 1) The Varsity is greasy, awful food, and 2) our firm didn't really appreciate our staff

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

WaterIsPoison posted:

Caveat: always say yes to an FO

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Honestly I think that a lot of my enjoyment of the Varsity comes from the instinctual revulsion that so many people have to it.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Went to King + Duke last night. It was pretty solid, but service could have been better. We arrived for an 8:45 reservation and didn't get seated until 9:30. Apparently several tables were sitting with their checks for a while (one table sat with their check for an hour!). I'm not too familiar with the restaurant business, but it seems at that point you'd think the manager would politely ask them to leave or order more food.

I ordered the bone marrow starter and the lamb shank. The bone marrow arrived with a super rich short rib marmalade that really overpowered the actual marrow, which was hard to find under the mound of short rib. It was nice, but I wish there was more of a balance. The lamb shank was great, but it was a rather spartan dish.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

WaterIsPoison posted:

Went to King + Duke last night. It was pretty solid, but service could have been better. We arrived for an 8:45 reservation and didn't get seated until 9:30. Apparently several tables were sitting with their checks for a while (one table sat with their check for an hour!). I'm not too familiar with the restaurant business, but it seems at that point you'd think the manager would politely ask them to leave or order more food.

There's no good way out of that situation for the restaurant. About the only thing you can do is gently suggest that maybe the people at the table would enjoy having their drinks at the bar along with a complementary dessert or something. If you don't have a bar or lounge you're pretty much stuck unless you're the sort of restaurant where you don't care if people get mad.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

There's no good way out of that situation for the restaurant. About the only thing you can do is gently suggest that maybe the people at the table would enjoy having their drinks at the bar along with a complementary dessert or something. If you don't have a bar or lounge you're pretty much stuck unless you're the sort of restaurant where you don't care if people get mad.

no, there's something loving wrong with that restaurant.

we went last week, made a reservation for 9 loving 30 (a week and a half in advance), walk in on the mark, and there are at least 20 people standing around the bar area. we're like uhhhh ohhhh this doesn't look good.

the hostess was really unhelpful and was like 'your table isn't ready yet.... maybe you'd like to get a drink at the bar?' we kindly asked if they had any sort of estimate on how long it would be, since we were both starving and had already had drinks, and the hostess hemmed and hawed and finally was like 'I can't give you an estimate, because if I give you an estimate, you're going to get mad at me if it takes longer'.

what the gently caress?

I mean your only job as a hostess is to fulfill the basic function of managing table turnover and getting people to their seats. I mean, ok, fine, maybe it was a horrible night, but still, you don't loving tell your guests you have no idea what's going on - really poor form. The least they could have done was offered us a drink or something

anyways, we stand around waiting and overhear all these conversations, there are people that had reservations at 8:30 who are still waiting. angry confrontations are witnessed, a lot of people storm out of the restaurant - we decide to tough it out because we'd only just gotten there. Had to wait around for half an hour (still no drink or anything offered), but finally got food. food was mediocre and definitely overly pricey for what it was. won't be going back. gently caress that guy.

did I mention I had a strikingly similar experience at the optimist? gently caress that guy.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
every restaurant charging over $20 for a main course should be handing out booze for reservations that have to wait over 15 minutes. I mean, buy a loving bottle of sparkling - like a ($9 retail, probably like $5 wholesale) segura viudas or something and just keep it at the hostess stand expressly for that purpose.

argh im angry on an internet comedy forum about waiting for restaurant reservations irl :tbear:

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

mindphlux posted:

every restaurant charging over $20 for a main course should be handing out booze for reservations that have to wait over 15 minutes. I mean, buy a loving bottle of sparkling - like a ($9 retail, probably like $5 wholesale) segura viudas or something and just keep it at the hostess stand expressly for that purpose.

argh im angry on an internet comedy forum about waiting for restaurant reservations irl :tbear:

Actually in Atlanta restaurants should offer something to people who are inconvenienced. It's not that there's any shortage of good places to eat nowadays. Thinking you hold all the "localvore" and "farm to table" cards and that makes you special is quite retarded when both are such a shiver-inducing catchphrase.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

We had the same reservation saga at Goin' Coastal a few months back. I had some out of town guests, an 8:30pm reservation, and we were all literally starving from a long day out. "Your table isn't ready yet", said the hostess, "feel free to hang out at the bar, which is literally crammed full of other people, or go outside, since our restaurant is tiny as gently caress and stand around on the sidewalk" which is exactly what we did. A few tables were just lingering for 30+ minutes with the bills already paid. The manager came over and explained to us they couldn't do anything about it, since they were a small restaurant, blah blah blah. Annoyed and starving, I told them we would be leaving in five minutes if they don't get us a table (we had been waiting for 25 mins outside already), plus I'll be sure to drop some carefully crafted Yelp, google, etc reviews explaining our predicament... Well, that got us a table pretty quickly! I think they actually had the balls to ask this one inconsiderate table to leave. Food was good, but after reading the yelp reviews, the reservation issue is a VERY common occurrence at this restaurant, with many like complaints. They overbook tables, and that is an issue, especially when you don't have a proper waiting area.

The King + Duke was okay, but nothing exciting. Too buckheady. My favorite Buckhead restaurant is F&B right now. It's French Mediterranean cuisine and drat good food. Reservations are always flawless, service is perfect, etc.. The drink menu is only 2nd place to Leon's too. Sorta Buckheady, but it's got a soul at least. http://www.fandbatl.com/

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Landrobot posted:

We had the same reservation saga at Goin' Coastal a few months back. I had some out of town guests, an 8:30pm reservation, and we were all literally starving from a long day out. "Your table isn't ready yet", said the hostess, "feel free to hang out at the bar, which is literally crammed full of other people, or go outside, since our restaurant is tiny as gently caress and stand around on the sidewalk" which is exactly what we did. A few tables were just lingering for 30+ minutes with the bills already paid. The manager came over and explained to us they couldn't do anything about it, since they were a small restaurant, blah blah blah. Annoyed and starving, I told them we would be leaving in five minutes if they don't get us a table (we had been waiting for 25 mins outside already), plus I'll be sure to drop some carefully crafted Yelp, google, etc reviews explaining our predicament... Well, that got us a table pretty quickly! I think they actually had the balls to ask this one inconsiderate table to leave. Food was good, but after reading the yelp reviews, the reservation issue is a VERY common occurrence at this restaurant, with many like complaints. They overbook tables, and that is an issue, especially when you don't have a proper waiting area.

The King + Duke was okay, but nothing exciting. Too buckheady. My favorite Buckhead restaurant is F&B right now. It's French Mediterranean cuisine and drat good food. Reservations are always flawless, service is perfect, etc.. The drink menu is only 2nd place to Leon's too. Sorta Buckheady, but it's got a soul at least. http://www.fandbatl.com/

I live like 4 blocks from Goin' Coastal, and yeah. It's a nightmare. The food is good-ish, but nothing worth the wait, for sure.

If I were going to eat in that part of town, I'd just go to the Tap or Fontaine's.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 20, 2013

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Yeah, if you're consistently overbooking and not managing waiting customers at all then you're probably just another bunch of shitlords who will soon be tossed onto the heap of failed restaurants.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

Landrobot posted:

My favorite Buckhead restaurant is F&B right now. It's French Mediterranean cuisine and drat good food. Reservations are always flawless, service is perfect, etc.. The drink menu is only 2nd place to Leon's too. Sorta Buckheady, but it's got a soul at least. http://www.fandbatl.com/

Oh hey, I work in this building. I like Mondays where all the drinks are half off :)

I've only actually eaten here twice before, but they've both been good experiences all around.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Landrobot posted:

Goin' Coastal

Goin' Coastal really went from hero to zero in my eyes sometime in 2011 or 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
goin to abattoir tonight, first time since hector took over. :ohdear: