Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Um, that sounds like the best wrestling show ever. I'll take that over Cole/Lawler/JBL any day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Happy Happyist posted:

Yep, Reigns headbutted an Uso! They both kinda stood there for a second, then the Uso slapped him hard in the face as if to say "You should know that doesn't work!"

the first match roman headbutt jay and jay beat him down. the 2nd time was the slap.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Chris Jericho posted:

I think about Eddy every time I go to a restaurant and pay the check. One day we went to eat and the bill came. I left a one-dollar tip on a ten-dollar tab and Eddy looked at me, annoyed. “You should tip 20 percent no matter what.” “Why?” I asked. “What’s two dollars to you? What’s four dollars to you? You’re making good money. But to the waitress it could be the difference between paying her electric bill or not. Don’t be selfish.” To this day, I tip 20 percent no matter what, and all of you waiters and waitresses that I meet can thank Eddy Guerrero for that.

I'm not sure this is quite the right thread for this but I was just recently reminded of this, and I feel like it should go somewhere.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

fatherdog posted:

I'm not sure this is quite the right thread for this but I was just recently reminded of this, and I feel like it should go somewhere.

Even Eddy knew not to steal a tip.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

:smith:

To make it more related to a question thread, what would you consider to be THE Eddie Guerrero match?

Maybe besides the one at WM where he won the title and celebrated with Benoit because that feels like low hanging fruit.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Aurain posted:

To make it more related to a question thread, what would you consider to be THE Eddie Guerrero match?

Maybe besides the one at WM where he won the title and celebrated with Benoit because that feels like low hanging fruit.

Two matches with Rey. One from Halloween Havoc '97, one from Smackdown in '05. The later was the climax to what I think of as Phase 1 of their '05 feud before they brought their real life families into the mix and made everything kind of hard to watch. It really illustrates how they'd changed as workers and were still excellent in both. Rey had changed much more than Eddy, but it's still significant. The former features a far more athletic Rey and Eddy playing a classic lucha heel, whereas the latter featured a more intense drama due to it being between two ex-friends. The match where he beat Brock for the title was also great, though the Goldberg angle kind of spoils the moment.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Aurain posted:

vs Rey Mysterious, Halloween Havoc 97
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJSfVsKLD4Q

Also he actually won the title at No Way Out and successfully defended it at Wm.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Aurain posted:

Well, he defended his title successfully against Kurt Angle at WM (the "loose boot match" has one of my favorite finishes ever). He was champion coming in after having beaten Brock Lesnar at No Way Out 2002. Both of those matches are outstanding, and both outcomes play heavily into his character. I'd say those are probably his best WWF/E matches.

- If you can track it down, the No Way Out DVD is a great buy. It has the ending to a Royal Rumble match on SD! that Eddie won for the title shot against Brock. He won by last eliminating... Kurt Angle.

I have no idea where to begin with WCW. He was a generic face when he first came in, and although he had good matches, the fans gave no shits about him. I never cared for the Latino World Order angle, or a lot of his storylines there, except maybe some of the Chavo stuff. His matches were usually top-notch, though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

Well, he defended his title successfully against Kurt Angle at WM (the "loose boot match" has one of my favorite finishes ever). He was champion coming in after having beaten Brock Lesnar at No Way Out 2002. Both of those matches are outstanding, and both outcomes play heavily into his character. I'd say those are probably his best WWF/E matches.

- If you can track it down, the No Way Out DVD is a great buy. It has the ending to a Royal Rumble match on SD! that Eddie won for the title shot against Brock. He won by last eliminating... Kurt Angle.

I have no idea where to begin with WCW. He was a generic face when he first came in, and although he had good matches, the fans gave no shits about him. I never cared for the Latino World Order angle, or a lot of his storylines there, except maybe some of the Chavo stuff. His matches were usually top-notch, though.

The period where he was cruiserweight champ and just oozing contempt for everybody after the car crash was great in WCW.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

fatherdog posted:

Is it weird that my take away on that is to kind of dislike Jericho. Really, man? You had to be talked into leaving $2 instead of $1?

Then again indignant cheap tippers (especially ones with some money) piss me off.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That match with Angle was built up so well. Angle just came across as a pissed off killer who was going to break Eddie's leg if he got the ankle lock on. And then the boot finish.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The ECW Dean Malenko was awesome and just two great wrestlers just going out and wrestling.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, yeah, Dean and Eddie, 2 out of 3 falls for the ECW TV title was great. It's both guys' last match in the company before going to WCW, and it starts with the ECW crowd ready to poo poo on it as you'd expect. By the end, they're cutting promos to "PLEASE DON'T GO!" chants.

And obligatory mention of Eddie and Art vs Octagon and El Hijo del Santo, hair vs masks, at When Worlds Collide.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dean officially joined ECW the same day his father died, and had that match later the same year, apropos of nothing.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Eddie and Art Barr as a team apparently had some amazing matches in the early 90s.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Bradshaw vs Eddie match at Judgement Day is something that needs to be seen. I am not sure if its good or bad its just a match that everyone needs to see.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

HulkaMatt posted:

Eddie and Art Barr as a team apparently had some amazing matches in the early 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603U_62GeSg Watch it!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Eddie and Cena had a very good Parking Lot Brawl on Smackdown in 2003?4? It featured Chavo making a return and Eddie and Cena trying to shoot murder each other.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Eddie and Cena had a very good Parking Lot Brawl on Smackdown in 2003?4? It featured Chavo making a return and Eddie and Cena trying to shoot murder each other.

'03 because Cena was still a heel. I remember this because the match took place in Wisconsin and so he wore a Brian Urlacher jersey as a heel move. (Lifelong Bears fan here.)

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Bad Wolf posted:

I think I talked about the (French-speaking) Belgian announcers in this thread before. One is a heel, the other a face. To say I remember them fondly would be something of a stretch. "Hate with the burning intensity of a thousand suns" would be more accurate.

Can we please watch this? I want to watch this.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, yeah, Dean and Eddie, 2 out of 3 falls for the ECW TV title was great. It's both guys' last match in the company before going to WCW, and it starts with the ECW crowd ready to poo poo on it as you'd expect. By the end, they're cutting promos to "PLEASE DON'T GO!" chants.

You know, I wanted to name this match, because I thought it was so much fun - but didn't think I knew enough about that period of ECW to really mention it.

bobkatt013 posted:

The Bradshaw vs Eddie match at Judgement Day is something that needs to be seen. I am not sure if its good or bad its just a match that everyone needs to see.

Is this before or after Eddie collapses, and JBL goes :stare: ?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The period where he was cruiserweight champ and just oozing contempt for everybody after the car crash was great in WCW.

I feel like I saw this back then, but it's just so foggy to me.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Red posted:

Is this before or after Eddie collapses, and JBL goes :stare: ?

Just before, the collapsing in kayfabe was brought on because of that match the night before.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

VogeGandire posted:

Just before, the collapsing in kayfabe was brought on because of that match the night before.

That period of booking Eddie was so strange to me. Eddie became such a huge sympathy face for the title loss/collapse in the ring, but then he almost immediately turns heel.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Eddie and Dean's first match in ECW at Hostile City Showdown 95 was wayyyyyy better than the 2/3 Falls match

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is there a story behind the name "Skull Crushing Finale"? It always sounds so awkward

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Red posted:

That period of booking Eddie was so strange to me. Eddie became such a huge sympathy face for the title loss/collapse in the ring, but then he almost immediately turns heel.

He didn't turn heel for another year.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

He didn't turn heel for another year.

I had to go to Wikipedia to see what I missed, and he did a whole lot of... nothing, it looks like. He even got the 'randomly aligns with Big Show in a tag team' thing in there.

Eddie was great at everything, why the hell was he wasting time doing nothing while JBL was champion? I must have just blocked this out, mentally.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Red posted:

I had to go to Wikipedia to see what I missed, and he did a whole lot of... nothing, it looks like. He even got the 'randomly aligns with Big Show in a tag team' thing in there.

Eddie was great at everything, why the hell was he wasting time doing nothing while JBL was champion? I must have just blocked this out, mentally.

He feuded with Angle for most of the rest of the year.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

Is it weird that my take away on that is to kind of dislike Jericho. Really, man? You had to be talked into leaving $2 instead of $1?

Then again indignant cheap tippers (especially ones with some money) piss me off.

It's weird that you think it was some devious malicious act on his part rather than simple ignorance, perhaps not having worked in the service industry, especially after he was easily convinced by a buddy after a short speech.

Jericho's only in it for himself! He's here to condemn all those wretched parasite pizza drivers, restaurant staff, and baristas in existence!

Tip_Us.Y2J

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sprecherscrow posted:

He feuded with Angle for most of the rest of the year.

Reading the summary sounded to me like a lot of teaming with Big Show against Reigns (Roman's uncle? :haw:) and Jindrak. I must've stopped watching during this period, I guess.

Red fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 11, 2013

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
This Benoit/Guerrero match from Nitro in 1995 isn't anything too special in the grand scheme of things and compared to some of the amazing work he would go on to do. But at the time, having mostly been reared on WWF squash matches, it blew my drat mind to see people wrestle like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE5HxkL3-Rk

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

sticklefifer posted:

It's weird that you think it was some devious malicious act on his part rather than simple ignorance, perhaps not having worked in the service industry, especially after he was easily convinced by a buddy after a short speech.

Jericho's only in it for himself! He's here to condemn all those wretched parasite pizza drivers, restaurant staff, and baristas in existence!

Tip_Us.Y2J

no man you totally missed the indignation in the original quote, it was there you just need to read between the lines. Also I noticed some racist undertones. Jericho is probably racist.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

triplexpac posted:

Is there a story behind the name "Skull Crushing Finale"? It always sounds so awkward

Miz came up with the move first and then farmed out what to call it via Twitter. His only rule was that it couldn't have his name in it (ie. "the Mizaster"). That's apparently the best answer he saw.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Naming a move after himself is exactly the kind of thing that would fit Miz, so I can see why he would want no part of it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Red posted:

I am morbidly curious, though - I wonder what the breakdown of deaths in the wrestling industry show? You have some deaths that are accidental (Owen), some murders (Dino Bravo, Bruiser Brody), health complications from morbid obesity (Yokozuna), and terminal disease (Earthquake) - but I'd have to assume 75%+ is drug-related somehow.
This was asked in the picture thread. I'm currently in the process of making a spreadsheet of every notable deceased wrestler I can find with their birth year, death year, age, and cause of death. It currently stands at 167 corpses and will go on until I run out of notable wrestlers or get sick of the whole idea.

Thus far, it looks like before the television era, wrestlers were much like other people. (I'm sure that wrestlers as a demographic would have differences from the general population, but it's not like I'm going to study demographic data in several countries over the past century.) Most of them lived to be senior citizens and died of age-related illnesses, with some dying younger from chronic illnesses and the odd death from accidents or violence. In the television era you start to see people dying of drug overdoses or heart attacks before they reach the age of 60, and it got much worse in the boom era.

One thing that really surprised me is how few wrestlers have died in automobile accidents. So far it's just Jerry Blackwell, JYD, and Adrian Adonis. I've found one record of a guy dying in a plane crash--a private plane he was flying.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

triplexpac posted:

I used to hear movie critics use terms like that when talking about third acts. Whoever suggested it to him on Twitter probably read it somewhere and thought it sounded cool.

At least it's not the edge-of-your-seat, nonstop thrill ride.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

This was asked in the picture thread. I'm currently in the process of making a spreadsheet of every notable deceased wrestler I can find with their birth year, death year, age, and cause of death. It currently stands at 167 corpses and will go on until I run out of notable wrestlers or get sick of the whole idea.

Thus far, it looks like before the television era, wrestlers were much like other people. (I'm sure that wrestlers as a demographic would have differences from the general population, but it's not like I'm going to study demographic data in several countries over the past century.) Most of them lived to be senior citizens and died of age-related illnesses, with some dying younger from chronic illnesses and the odd death from accidents or violence. In the television era you start to see people dying of drug overdoses or heart attacks before they reach the age of 60, and it got much worse in the boom era.

One thing that really surprised me is how few wrestlers have died in automobile accidents. So far it's just Jerry Blackwell, JYD, and Adrian Adonis. I've found one record of a guy dying in a plane crash--a private plane he was flying.

Randy Savage technically died in a car, but his death was from a heart attack. But I'm sure you knew that. :(

There are also training-related deaths as well: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-01-26/news/bs-md-ar-wrestling-death-20120125_1_wrestlers-patrick-pannella-wwe

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

Randy Savage technically died in a car, but his death was from a heart attack. But I'm sure you knew that. :(

There are also training-related deaths as well: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-01-26/news/bs-md-ar-wrestling-death-20120125_1_wrestlers-patrick-pannella-wwe

The drug related heart attack that results in a car accident, such a way to go.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Have there been any in ring deaths over the last 30 years for major promotions besides Misawa and Oro? What about indies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
C-c-c-combo deaths are common enough, and not all of them are untimely. Like Johnny Valentine, who had chronic illnesses, suffered multiple injuries in a fall at his home, and caught pneumonia and some other infection in the hospital before dying.