Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Thank you, Caphi! That's a surprisingly... smooth jazzy BGM compared to Flaming Destiny or however you want to translate the OP's title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Wounded Land posted:

Thank you, Caphi! That's a surprisingly... smooth jazzy BGM compared to Flaming Destiny or however you want to translate the OP's title.

Speaking of that, I had completely forgotten about this slick BGM (too busy fawning over Lullaby of Iron); either way, here it is:

:cool:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
By the way, now that the Z thread has officially started, I'm on Setsuko plot duty, so Z2 is probably going to update mostly just on weeks I'm not helping DrPepper.

On the plus side, there's only fourteen chapters to go!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

By the way, now that the Z thread has officially started, I'm on Setsuko plot duty, so Z2 is probably going to update mostly just on weeks I'm not helping DrPepper.

On the plus side, there's only fourteen chapters to go!
Less Z2 updates is a sacrifice I'm willing to make to see more Z updates. I mean, I love Z2, but Z is just SRW perfection.

Or rather, a game with Z2's cast and Z's system would be SRW perfection. And perhaps adding some G Gundam and GaoGaiGar. Maybe even some Crossbone Gundam. But that's going into the realm of dreams.

(Banpresto, you know what to do for Z3)

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Less Z2 updates is a sacrifice I'm willing to make to see more Z updates. I mean, I love Z2, but Z is just SRW perfection.

Or rather, a game with Z2's cast and Z's system would be SRW perfection. And perhaps adding some G Gundam and GaoGaiGar. Maybe even some Crossbone Gundam. But that's going into the realm of dreams.

(Banpresto, you know what to do for Z3)

G Gundam...GaoGaiGar...Gurren Lagann...

Erupting Goldion Drill Breaker anyone?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hunter Noventa posted:

Nah, clearly the combination attack would require Mazinger, God Gundam and GaoGaiGar, and would involve Domon switching from his Gundam to (Genesic) GaoGaiGar, who would then equip Mazinger's Big Bang Punch mode as his hand. Of course, Domon would then perform Erupting God Finger with it, backed up by Guy's sheer courage.

It'd get kind of heated up for poor Kouji, but that's life.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

All that power would simply cause the universe to implode. :black101:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Hunter Noventa posted:

So many G-robots.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

thetruegentleman posted:

I have absolutely no idea what is going on with Chirico's plot line. So, is he a god because fate makes him invincible, unless he fights someone else who is also invincible because genetics? How does that even work? Where the heck do all the people related to him even keep coming from? Are there going to be relevant enough in the future to try and remember who the heck they are?

Its like, the smaller the mechs in a series are, the more convoluted its plot...

Just as super robots are driven by Hot Blood, real robots are driven by Cold Blood, in the form of murder, intrigue, and complicated wartime scheming.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

IMJack posted:

Just as super robots are driven by Hot Blood, real robots are driven by Cold Blood, in the form of murder, intrigue, and complicated wartime scheming.

Suddenly the subplots for Macross+ and the F tv series make so much more sense.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Elgan's passed on the news that something's about to go down at Saotome's lab; Shirota and Ohtsuka have decided GOONZ is flying back to Japan to respond. But Musashi and Hayato aren't too hot on jumping at Elgan's beck and call; they're just about fed up with the mysterious Elgan's mysterious ways. Shirota explains that the revelations from the counter-Red Shoulders operations has put a dent in GOONZ' trust for the good Chairman, but in retrospect, he's been pulling all the strings from before there was even a GOONZ, wasn't he?

Ohtsuka stammers that this is why Elgan agreed to meet us in person, but even the Crushers and co. aren't satisfied with that anymore; he may not be lying, but he's definitely keeping them in the dark. Ohtsuka's breaking down, so we stick him with the big question: how does he know something's going to happen at Saotome Labs, exactly? The WPC detail watching the place hasn't reported anything -

"Who gives a poo poo!" roars Ryoma suddenly. Elgan's business doesn't concern him. If the Professor's up to something, he's going there, and if the Professor's going to destroy the world, he's going with his fists up. Ohtsuka brightens, but Ryoma adds that he still wants Elgan to know that they're not going to be his pawns forever.

But then a gigantic flying Ganmen appears on the radar, and its flight vector is headed straight for Japan. If the beastmen are also headed for Saotome's lab, there's definitely something big going on there...

The time has come...
It begins now, here! The end of the world... Armageddon!
Genki... Genki, my child... don't be afraid...
I'll protect you. Even if it costs me everything...
But my sins are too heavy... if only I had never tried to study Getter Rays...
Forgive me, Genki... forgive me, Michiru...

Despite the good Professor's words, Mishima sees that the Getter Rays have taken over him. But he assures Benkei not to worry: "They'll come. Energy is only energy. It knows no good or evil. If Professor Saotome uses Getter Rays for evil, they will use the Getter Rays to stop him."

All the same, Mishima has preparations to make for the worst...

Chapter 40: The Advent of the Omega!!

It's nice to see someone enjoying his job; Saotome growls that "the fools who reject the Getter Rays" cannot stop him.

And Getters pour out of the lab; both leaders (I guess) are determined to crush their opposition.

Are you assholes starting something behind our backs?!

Our main characters are, of course, the Getter Team and Gurren-Lagann; support cast will be all the super robots in GOONZ.

So you've come, GOONZ...
Professor...
Mankind must be punished...
For the sin of daring to touch Getter Rays, infinite power, without an inkling of its true nature...
You're just in time to rue the dawning of the sun over last day of the world!

This is sure a thing (Team Godsigma says Saotome is going down the same path their own Fuumi did); Saotome shouts that neither we nor the beastmen can stop him. Cytomander is ready to seize an opportunity to capture Getter and destroy GOONZ at once. Both beastmen and Getters start firing on everything that isn't them; we have no choice but to stop both of them, but Ryoma would love nothing less!

I did tell, you, old man, that I'd be the one to take you out...
And now is the time, old man!

Despite Ryoma's resolve, our actual job is to knock out the Cytomander's Dai-Gan-Ten, and of course, we have six turns to do that and deal with whatever else he and Saotome have up their sleeves.

On Cytomander's side, he's brought his good Cannon Gannons. It's not actually necessary to take any of the other beastmen down, but it helps.

The Getters, on the other hand, are weaker than the originals we fought a while ago, though not by that much.

Overall, I'm sending GOONZ generally north into the breach, with a small strike team moving in on the Dai-Gan-Ten. Taking down Cytomander is the immediate goal, but all the fun's going to be over by Saotome's lab.

By the way, the two enemy armies will attack each other.

Cytomander deigns to attack, from some kind of stupid range.

Show me if you're worthy of standing in combat with Cytomander the Zephyr!
Oh, but don't leave depressed. It's not that you're weak, you see - I'm merely stronger!

You know what? Let's knock this smug fucker down.

Princess Nia! Are you on that vessel?
I demand an answer, Cytomander! Why did Father order you to attack that facility?
Are you still acting as though you're a real princess? You are no longer the daughter of the Spiral King!
I've a mind to despoil that pretty face of yours and present it to the King!

I did say the Great Gurren was rear end against the air.

Are you all right, Nia?
What? Is something the matter?

Oh, this is good. Let's have some of these.

Ryoma rushes over to give them a taste of Getter Beam,

But it doesn't do anything. In fact, it looks as if the Invader ate the beam. Ryoma's idea is just to keep firing, but Hayato stops him; he's realized that the Getter energy is feeding them...

Benkei shouts at them to Open Get and he'll deploy their spare Get Machines...

Allowing each of them to form their own Getter Robo and link their reactors together...

Overloading the Invaders with the power of three Getters at once.

But now there's a new, terrifying thing - a demon fused into the back of a lizard-thing.

It wrecks all three Getters, but the pilots are still alive, and their last chance lies within Saotome's lab.

As they make a dash for the building, Cytomander sends one of his Cattoras to intercept them.

Simon makes a leap to catch the flying Ganmen...

and Gurren-Lagann absorbs it and takes to the air on its new wings!

See that? It's like I said, drills can do anything!

Now that Gurren-Lagann can fly, it can go straight for Cytomander's ship; meanwhile, we have Saotome's monster to worry about. What was Saotome doing with that thing, anyway?

Gurren-Lagann, everybody!

"Giant Gol/Burai" is our second midboss this evening; it's not necessary to defeat him by any means, but doing so earns you midboss experience and money as well as a Psychic Reactor, a powerful Will booster.

Anyway, let's scoot Simon back over so he can take a crack at Cytomander...

While our Super strike force advances further at the Saotome Lab.

And that wraps up the turn.

Hey, the Getter Army is finally thinning out.

I'm not sure I remember this from Armageddon...

This has never come up before, but while the Ptolemaios is armed now, it's not well armed, so you'll never use it as a gun platform as you would, say, the Macross.

Sky vs. Mountain. It's great.

Anyway, let's finish this Ganmen thing.

Gurren-Lagann! How dare you take one of my soldiers' Ganmen for your own?
S-Simon! We're not used to flying yet! It may not be possible to--
In the Great Gurren Gang, we go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!
If we just slam ourselves into him, we can't miss! Then we'll drill right on through!

Interestingly, the Dai-Gan-Ten drops a Flight Module. Rossiu learns Spirit - I've been remiss on writing down every Spirit for a while, but him gaining this one marks his growth as a pilot and Simon's partner.

Anyway, Cytomander retreats with all of his Ganmen, shouting that he'll be back sooner or later. But we still don't know what brought him here - weren't the beastmen just trying to exterminate humanity?

Saotome releases even more Getters, a ton more Getters, but they're not attacking...

Behold! It's the beginning of the end!
Come forth! The one who brings forth Armageddon! Its name...
Change! Getter! Ooooooomega Draaaaaaaaaaagoooooon!
That's...
All the Getters are combining together!
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Dammit, old maaaaaaaaaaan!

:siren:I have anticipated some questioning about this decision and prepared an explanation. If you have no concerns about the presentation of this chapter so far, ignore me and carry on.:siren:

The Getter monstrosity towers over the landscape; the sky darkens and the trees wither for miles around.

That is Omega Dragon! The herald of Armageddon!
Who was that man with you?
Did he make all those Getters combine?
Hahahahahahahahaha! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Grr... fine, if you won't talk, then...

Ryoma pulls a gun on the good Professor; Benkei tries to stop him, since Genki is there too. Mishima, almost gleefully, tells the bunch that Saotome's been taken over by the Getter Rays. Speaking of which, that Omega Dragon thing is emitting Getter Rays at an alarming rate. The effects of Getter Rays at this level on living creatures is not well understood, but probably not good, if the Invaders are any indication, so we urgently need to shut that thing down.

The Getter Team can't do a thing without their Getter, though, but Mishima has a solution to that - "The last bit of good in Professor Saotome," he calls it - and "the Omega among Getters."

Outside, GOONZ has come to the same conclusion - the monster is putting out copious amounts of Getter radiation.

CHAAAAAAAAANGE! GETTER ONE!

This is... Omega Getter!

The ultimate Getter... Omega Getter Robo!
Old man!
But even Omega Getter cannot stop Omega Dragon!
Armageddon is upon us! Bwahahahahahaha!

Invaders suddenly surround the base; Hayato suggests they were drawn by the radiation coming off of that Dragon. Saotome is impressed that Hayato has figured out the first thing about Getter - but it's too late now that Omega Dragon has awakened!

Can it, old man! You're not gonna get away with this!
We'll stop you! We'll take that Omega Dragon down and you'll go down with it!

And now for our final objective: destroy Omega Dragon!

Omega Getter-2 (Hayato Jin, Musashi Tomoe, Ryoma Nagare)
Skills
Prevail L3+6
Predict
Counter L6
EN Save
Dash
Spirits
(Hayato)
Mercy
Alert
Analyze
Sense
(Musashi)
Guts
Gain
Drive
Luck
Guard
Faith
(Ryoma)
Vigor
Strike
Trust
Invincible
Traits
Getter Vision
Transform
Weapons
Drill Missile (4 Ammo, barrier)
Plasma Drill Hurricane (12 EN)
Drill Hurricane (24 EN, barrier)
Omega Getter Change Attack (1 ammo, 120 will, size)
Ace Bonus: Trigger rate of Getter Vision-like traits increased by +20%.

Omega Getter-3 (Musashi Tomoe, Ryoma Nagare, Hayato Jin)
Skills
Prevail L8
Will+ (Damage)
Defensive Support L1
SP Up +9
Spirits
(Musashi)
Guts
Gain
Drive
Luck
Guard
Faith
(Ryoma)
Vigor
Strike
Trust
Invincible
(Hayato)
Mercy
Alert
Analyze
Sense
Traits
Transform
Weapons
Hammer Punch (15 EN)
Missile Storm (4 ammo)
Avalanche-Roars-Down-The-Mountain (40 EN, 110 Will)
Ace Bonus: The "Spirit" Spirit is replaced by "Drive."

Omega Getter-1 (Ryoma Nagare, Hayato Jin, Musashi Tomoe)
Skills
Prevail L7+2
Break Will Limit
Will+ (Destroy)
EN Save
Spirits
(Ryoma)
Vigor
Strike
Trust
Invincible
(Hayato)
Mercy
Alert
Analyze
Sense
(Musashi)
Guts
Gain
Drive
Luck
Guard
Faith
Traits
Blade
Transform
Weapons
Battle Wing (8 EN)
Getter Scythe (12 EN)
Head Getter Beam (24 EN)
Getter Beam (40 EN)
Ace Bonus: Deals 1.3x damage above 150 Will.

Meet the new Getter. Same as the old Getter. Just better in every way conceivable. And not only has it joined fresh on HP and EN, but the Getter Team is filled back up on SP and capped out on Will.

Dragon, meanwhile, is a big lump. He drops a Super Repair Kit. Interestingly, it's listed with a terrible SP pool and no Spirits or Skills. This doesn't affect gameplay in any way, but neither do I, and some thought does go into how enemies' flavor stats are assigned.

Heh heh heh. The Getter Rays can draw out the power sleeping within you.
What's that old fart talking about?
You don't understand? Ignorance, too, is a sin.
Is it? Look, I may be stupid, but I'm not stupid enough to let you do whatever you're doing!
Sleeping power? You're kidding, right?
We'll draw out our power with good old fashioned anger! Brace yourself, monster man!

Hey, we can see its HP now.

The Homing Getter Beam is Dragon's only attack to begin with, though it'll build the Will to use its other one soon.

I can feel it... your bodies, too, overflow with that energy...
"Your body?" Seriously? You are one creepy rude old man!
I will crush you before your power awakens! Armageddon is all you deserve!
Back off, creep! No one decides where I'm headed but me!

That is one creepy Getter! I'm shivering just looking at it!
Of course you fools wouldn't understand the might of Omega Dragon!
Even we can see that robot is a danger!
So we fight! We will not let that thing destroy our future!

Interesting... that robot is equipped with a device similar to Getter's.
You... are you sure you're human?
Heh heh... I see you're special. I'm afraid I can't let you leave alive.
I'll end you before you reveal your knowledge!
I don't even care what you are, but that's not going to happen!
And I'm taking down your big old monster! We're not letting it run free!

Invincible never gets old.

Second attacks are not a ton of damage, but it is free.

This dark aura... my clairvoyance is trying to tell me something about Omega Dragon!
Takeru Myojin! Your power is a threat!
I will crush you to dust before you grasp my true nature!
Omega Dragon and Professor Saotome... what is that great shadow I see behind them?

An office worker at a security firm dares stand in my way?
That's what we're paid for!
Then you should leave! You're putting your lives at risk!
This is a life-threatening job! It doesn't matter what the risk is!
We office workers are gonna show this mad scientist what we can do!

Unfortunately, that was with Soul.

Wait, what is this?

Oh, goddammit.

That telekinesis whatever thing Gol/Burai did? It has an effect that halves the affected pilot's stats for the round.

Whoops.

Anyway, where was I?

I'm afraid you're so deep into your research that you won't listen to reason.
Reason? We're far beyond reason.
All creatures need is power... the power to consume all in their path!
If you reject the power of the human mind, you're no longer human at all.
So I'll deal with you as you deserve! Even though it's not my preference!

Photon power, the energy of mankind's dreams! But even the power of a god is as nothing before Getter's might!
Professor Saotome! What do you know about photon power?
I know it well... the power of my kind's ancient enemy!
Your kind?
There's no need for you to know! You will crumble, power of god!

Professor Saotome, why are you doing this?
There's no point explaining to you. It's a waste of timing explaining why to those about to be destroyed.
I'm afraid you've made a mistake in your logic!
This is not the last day of the world. As long as I fight with Daitarin 3, the sun will always rise on a new dawn!

Banjou, uh, was too far away. He doesn't have Accelerate or anything.

What the hell is this thing? Just another no-frills monster like the Damons!
Gh... what is the energy it emits?
He must mean the Brasta's Sphere...
Another power, different from the Getter Rays... I must study it!
This is my partner. I'm not handing it over to some mad scientist.
The Chief's already more than enough mad for me!

...I'm pretty sure this thing doesn't have Prevail, but...

Ryoma, Hayato, Musashi! You don't have the mettle to handle Omega Getter!
We'll see about that! You haven't seen how much stronger we've gotten!
Ha! If that were even half true, Michiru would still be alive!
!
Gh...
Ryoma! Hayato! Don't listen to him! It was an accident!
No, it wasn't! You killed Michiru!
You're right, old man, we did.
Ryoma...
But that doesn't mean she'd be happy with what you're doing!
Be silent, Ryoma! You have no right to talk about Michiru!
No, you be silent! When we take you down, we'll give you one for Michiru too!
With Omega Getter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeoEjth3cJA

Doing pretty well for the end of turn 3, I think.

We're leaving a few Invaders alive for Gurren-Lagann to chain off of to reach Dragon. Not that they can be taken out in one shot anyway, but it's good to have them on the field for this.

Mazinger can do it, of course.

Oh, and I forgot about these two. Dancouga defends.

Oh, and Dragon definitely regenerates HP.

This is the only time that's going to hit something unprotected.

Saotome's definitely going down the crazy hole.

Oh, and Ryoma learns Valor there will be no survivors.

The only thing left to do, other than knocking out Gol/Burai (do I even have to show it?), is giving Simon a shot at Dragon.

On the way, Simon learns Valor the destruction will be unimaginable.

There you are! Wielder of Spiral Power!
Spiral power?
Is he talking about Gurren-Lagann's drill?
Are you listening, king of the beastmen? I will destroy these creatures for you!
And yet all your efforts will still be in vain! This planet will be ours!
You can't have this planet, and neither can the beastmen! It's our world, and we'll fight for it!

Valor.

With Omega Dragon a tenth of a hit from death, nothing stops me from just throwing GOONZ at Gol/Burai until it falls over. Saotome mutters that he doesn't need them as long as he's still alive. He deigns to tell Ryoma and Hayato that those monsters were clones of them, part of his plan. Weirdo.

Anyway, there's only one way to end this battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwwsQBEjkqk

Hayato learns his last Spirit, Fury.

No... Omega Dragon... my dream!
Genki... can you hear me, Genki...
If this is the fate of those who touch the Getter, I have no regrets, even if I encroached on God's domain...
And I want you to carry on my work! Do you understand?
!
The hell are you talking about, old man?
I'm sorry... that you had to suffer my punishment with me...
What?
If I had only been watching! But I... I...
I didn't realize who the true enemy was...
Old man!
I'm sorry...

Omega Dragon explodes, taking Saotome with it; the Invaders also explode, likely, as the new expert Hayato theorizes, from Getter overload.

And the whole lab is going down after them!

The GOONZ make it out just in time...

These two fuckers are back in New York. Coen mutters that this is a setback, but Stinger assures him that they have time to take things easy.

And then Elgan Roddick walks in and shoots both of them!

Rather than dying, they scream that Elgan can't be human to have divined their true nature - but it's too late to stop their plan now! Armageddon is still on its way!

As Coen and Stinger escape, Ambassador Dorian arrives wondering just what those gunshots were about. Roddick brushes him off, saying that they won't be seeing the two again. "GOONZ," he murmurs. "Only you can stop Armageddon. I'm not a god; all I can do like this is have faith in you..."

Standing in the ruins of Saotome's lab, Team Getter can't believe their battle is over. Benkei is sure that whatever happened to the Professor after Michiru died, the fact that he left Omega Getter for them must mean he still believed in them deep down. Ryoma is still full of rage at Saotome, but Hayato blames Getter Radiation itself; it's what drove Saotome mad, and it's also what brought the Invaders to Earth.

That demands an explanation, and Hayato lays out the facts. The Invaders always attack wherever they go, don't they? Akagi suggests they were scouting out their enemy, Getter Robo, but there's no way they're that smart, right? Hayato says they want Getter Rays, that they consume them as they did today, and that they were destroyed not by the Getter Beam's force but by absorbing in excess.

Hayato still can't say if Saotome knew that when he built Getter Robo, nor what his aim was in awakening Omega Dragon, but since the beast was a tremendous source of Getter radiation, it had to be destroyed before it brought the Invaders' full force on the planet. Mishima adds that Omega Dragon's vast power couldn't be contained with any technology we have access to anyway, and it was only a matter of time before it went into overload. If we hadn't intervened today, all of Japan would be awash in Getter radiation right now.

It's a good thing we handled that, but what about Saotome's surviving child? Benkei says he'll take Genki in. In the meantime, the main Getter team will resume service in Japan. Mishima is headed to join his old friends, the three old scientists from the Photon Labs. Ryoma swears he'll use Omega Getter well, as an emblem of the last good in Saotome.

Hayato's not done mulling though; there's still the question of the Invaders attacking humans but ignoring the beastmen entirely, as well as why they attacked Saotome. Did they know what Saotome was going to do? And still, why did he create Omega Dragon? And who was that man who appeared before the Dragon did? And what did his last words to them mean?

Gaioh has felt something happening in Japan. He's going out for a bit, and he's going alone. Shioni and Cheval both beg him to take them (well, Shioni's army) along, but Gaioh brushes them off. Cheval grovels and offers up his head, but Gaioh growls that his head isn't worth taking "for now." He kicks Cheval's prostrate body out of his way. Ime Liard wonders if this will bring Gaioh's memory back; the man himself can only hope so. But, wonders the liar, would that be good or bad for them?

Oh, he survived.

Oh.... oh, Go...
Genki needs... the whole world... needs you...
I will...

Well, this explains that. Gaioh introduces himself as "Gaioh, and nothing else"...

And we fade to black. Oh well!

Caphi fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 17, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That stage was pretty rad and I enjoyed it immensely. It looks like the broader Super-series' subplots are starting to come together, as well. Interested to see how that pans out.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Of course Dr. Saotome knows about Spiral Power.

Also, Simon and Ryouma learning Valor. :getin:

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Well, I enjoyed reading your reasoning behind the choice between Omega and Shin.
I'd personally like to see more of those, if they've happened in the past or pop up in the future again.
The Gurren-Lagann absorbing the flying Ganmen seemed uncharacteristically anti-climactic in the middle of all that Armageddon, though. I assume there was at least a music override during that event?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm okay with it being Omega instead of Shin.

However, it's "Getter Scythe" instead of "Getter Sight."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Broken Loose posted:

I'm okay with it being Omega instead of Shin.

However, it's "Getter Scythe" instead of "Getter Sight."

You're right, I wasn't paying attention and thought it was an eye laser.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Naming changes aside (I'm sticking with Shin since I'm more used to that), let's look at this stage's big upgrade: Shin Getter Robo. Something has happened for the first time in the entirety of the SRW franchise in this stage: Musashi is finally piloting Shin Getter 3.

Let me repeat that: Musashi Tomoe is finally piloting Shin Getter 3.

Why is this so big? Well, Musashi is infamous to the franchise. Either he dies like he does in series/OVA before we even reach this upgrade (see: Destiny and Reversal), his death actually triggers or awakens Shin Getter Robo (see: Alpha 2/3), or he lives but gets demoted to the weaker Getters (see: Alpha Gaiden and many more). Never has Musashi actually had the chance to sit at the controls of Shin Getter 3 until this very game. This is, in essence, a landmark moment for the SRW franchise.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Dr Pepper posted:

Of course Dr. Saotome knows about Spiral Power.

Also, Simon and Ryouma learning Valor. :getin:

I guess we are about to witness Meiou/Hades Attack levels of destruction? :allears:

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Wow, that name change bothers me a lot more than I would have expected it to considering Getter Robo's my second favorite mecha franchise. Still, I've got to at least give it a chance... I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually. If it still bugs me this much after a few more updates I could just go find a word filter or something and change it back.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, I'm just gonna keep calling it Shin. I mean, no offense to you, I'm sure you have your reasons, even if I didn't fully understand them, but I know it as Shin Getter Robo.

They're still Lakche and Sety to me, dammit!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I agree that, while "Shin" is acceptable as the name we've been calling it for years, it's meaningless as an actual term in conversation, which would further complicate a bunch of translations down the line. It's along the lines of calling Lordgenome "Rasenjou" instead of "Spiral King;" the former is the sound being made by the speaker and the latter is the actual thing being said.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Great stage. I only half followed the plot of Armageddon when I watched it, so this will probably help me understand much better.

While I try to force my brain to accept Omega Getter as a name, some niggling little voice is going wrongwrongwrongwrongwrongwrongwrongwrong. Hopefully I'll be able to squash it though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I enjoyed your explanation of why you changed Shin to Omega, so thanks for that insight into the translator's mind. Nonetheless, I disagree with your conclusion, mainly because of something you yourself brought up: recognition. It's important for the audience (us, in this case) to know what's being talked about, and what we've known for years is Shin Getter Robo. This is even more important when you're talking about a crossover (as is Super Robot Wars, of course), in which recognising each series is vital to fully understanding the game proper. If it suddenly starts changing terminology left and right, it'll do nothing but confuse the fanbase.

I understand that the term "Shin" keeps popping up in text (weird, since I don't remember Armageddon putting that much of a focus on it), and the translation definitely will look neater this way rather than trying to explain each "Shin" individually or treating it as some kind of important, unique term (when it is a normal Japanese word, if one full of meanings), but, as many have already pointed out as I read the update, "Omega Getter" is also really weird to read. It's a lose-lose situation, basically, but I would've put the readers over the game proper in this case, even if it is a pain for the translator later down the line. Then again, I'm not a translator, so I'm not entirely sure how much of a pain it would've been to try to explain the whole Shin thing as it appeared, nor would I want to see the LP full of translation notes, TV Nihon-style.

Returning to the game proper, this is a pretty cool stage! Oddly enough, I don't remember Gol/Burai's attack at all, and I've played this stage. I guess I just ignored them and went for Shin Dragon. And giving Gurren-Lagann the ability to fly only makes it that little bit more murderous, and that's awesome, especially with goddamn Valor.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Hooray Getter! Hooray Musashi! Hooray Valor! Hooray drills! So much to love about this stage. I like your reasoning for "Omega Getter" too.

http://tinyurl.com/nr9pabr

My spreadsheet is now updated with every pilot's spirit list, courtesy of the Japanese wiki. It also had stats for the pilots at level 50, so I've entered those in and done up another comparison sheet, for the curious. Renton has average stats now, rather then below average, so I guess that's an improvement? I'm also working on a spirit list to compare when spirits are learned by particular pilots and how expensive they are.

I've mostly used akurasu and wikipedia to get the pilot names, but let me know if there are any major issues. I'll probably have to make a Japanese/English name list at some point.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Omega Getter sounds good to me. Even sounds suitably dramatic enough to scream out.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BlitzBlast posted:

Omega Getter sounds good to me. Even sounds suitably dramatic enough to scream out.

Which, as we all know, is the most important thing in Getter.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Your notes make a good read, and I entirely agree with your reasoning. The only problem with Omega is that "Omega Getter" doesn't quite roll off the tongue and that makes it harder for the term to stick inside heads. Something like "Final" Getter would have worked better in that regard.

But getting worked up over translations is silly, barring truly ridiculous cases like Tv-Nihon or Eotenas.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

TK-31 posted:

Your notes make a good read, and I entirely agree with your reasoning. The only problem with Omega is that "Omega Getter" doesn't quite roll off the tongue and that makes it harder for the term to stick inside heads. Something like "Final" Getter would have worked better in that regard.

But getting worked up over translations is silly, barring truly ridiculous cases like Tv-Nihon or Eotenas.

Final Getter was on the table extremely briefly but there's already a Final Dancouga and mixing things up like that is no good.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
While I respect the reasoning behind the choice, I am very much used to it being Shin Getter and will still call it Shin Getter. There is a fair amount justifying it as being called Shin (True) Getter as well, although discussing it would be a little difficult without spoiling the plot for Rebirth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Final Getter was on the table extremely briefly but there's already a Final Dancouga and mixing things up like that is no good.
Hey, there's already a Guren and a Gurren. :v:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

Hey, there's already a Guren and a Gurren. :v:

And they mention the similarity (off the top of my head, Kamina challenges Karen to prove she's as good a "Guren" as his is), so we keep them similar. And I'm okay with making the Guren sound more Japanese because it's pretty much the single most :japan:ese robot in GOONZ by a wide margin.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Caphi posted:

And they mention the similarity (off the top of my head, Kamina challenges Karen to prove she's as good a "Guren" as his is), so we keep them similar. And I'm okay with making the Guren sound more Japanese because it's pretty much the single most :japan:ese robot in GOONZ by a wide margin.

I perfer Gurren since that's how it's spelled, but I like to keep that as a personal preference since it can lead to thread derails at best.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
What? No, it's romanized as Guren in both cases.

EDIT: Like there's no room for debate here, グレン directly transliterates to "Guren", and the same goes for 紅蓮. They're the same word.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 18, 2013

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Caphi posted:

I didn't realize that. Good call.

It is kind of frustrating the Armageddon plot doesn't really go anywhere for a long, long while. But on the other hand, the more we have of Saotome hamming it up, the better. :allears:

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
When you said every super robot, you got my hopes up, but no God Sigma or Invincible Brats :( I wonder what they have to say to Saotome.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
I'm glad Dai-Gurren's spinning back kick to the Dai-Gunten made it into the game.

Guns not working? Run up a mountain and kick the flying fortress.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Due to holidays and poo poo, I don't know when I'll get to do the next full chapter, so have this in the meantime.

Be careful, Toshiya! That thing's a dense concentration of Getter rays!
What does that mean? It exists to do nothing but scatter Getter rays everywhere?
You have no need to know its true purpose!
Omega Dragon is a message to the universe! The bringer of Armageddon!
You're not exactly convincing us that you don't need to be stopped!
Okay, Getter monster! It's a showdown, Getter radiation versus Trinity Energy!

The flora in the area is withering... it must be the Getter radiation!
Death is the fate of all beings who cannot adapt to the Getter's power!
Their fate is not for you to decide!
It was not my decision! It is a natural law!
There's nothing natural about that! If you despoil the beauty of nature, if you take innocent lives, I will stop you!

What are you trying to pull combining all those Getters into this freak!
There's no point explaining to a child... or to any of humanity!
What are you talking about! Last I checked, you're a human too!
Or what, did you go to deep into your research and lose your humanity or something?

You jerk! I thought you might be mean, but you're still a good scientist! And then you turn out to be a bad guy!
Good and evil are irrelevant to my ultimate objective... the genesis of life itself!
You can't confuse me with your weird science words! I don't get any of them anyway!
All I know is that I gotta stop you or you'll destroy the whole planet! Here I come!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

You can't confuse me with your weird science words! I don't get any of them anyway!

I wasn't a big fan of Watta, but I gotta say, he's growing on me.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Watta is a grade school aged CEO piloting his corporation's Super Robot, fighting evil while trying to keep his company in the black.

He's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Watta is a grade school aged CEO piloting his corporation's Super Robot, fighting evil while trying to keep his company in the black.

He's great.
And will never face his series' enemies in SRW. Because....I honestly don't know. Is there some licensing bullshit behind this, or are Trider's enemies just that bland and not entertaining?

• Locked thread