Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Sindai posted:

Wait, does "Winter 2014" mean in two months or in a year?

A year. We're in Winter 2013 right now.

(By "we", I of course mean "the northern hemisphere". The one that matters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Sindai posted:

Wait, does "Winter 2014" mean in two months or in a year?

What do you think? In a year of course. :smith: In the RPS interview rope kid said they are exactly at 50% of production. They finished the Mega Dungeon yesterday.

And this got me wondering. They say they finished the Mega Dungeon, but then the combat and classes are not finalized. Does this mean they have to do a whole new pass on every single area of the game once the combat and classes will be finalized? Why not finalize this first, and then the areas so you do just one pass? Are the classes finalized enough that a second pass won't be necessary? Or is it just part of the QA?

coffeetable posted:

By "we", I of course mean "the northern hemisphere". The one that matters)

The northern, west hemisphere then, if we gonna do that. :colbert:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Combat tuning is literally never finished.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Kind of forgot I dropped $250 on this. Kind of happy I did.

Hey Rope Jerk, can I get my map signed instead of a box? How the hell are you supposed to display a BOX? Answer me that.

EDIT: Can I play as Ribsmasher 2.0 and just punch everything to death?

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 11, 2013

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Are the character models actual 3D models in game, or just sprites?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Upmarket Mango posted:

Are the character models actual 3D models in game, or just sprites?

Actual models on 2D backgrounds.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

Fucker posted:

I didnt say it looked repulsive. I said it looked subpar. It looks serviceable but in the age of DOTA, Diablo 3 and even the generic Diablo clone, its not up to standard. Might just be a case of having to be careful with the kickstart funding. Or maybe its just a question of fidelity over the good old games.

Project Eternity's background art looks better to me than all of those games.

Especially Diablo 3

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Pringles_School posted:

Project Eternity's background art looks better to me than all of those games.

Especially Diablo 3

It's way less fussy. Diablo 3 felt like someone had a real thing for particle effects and tossed that poo poo onto everything. Sure the animation is technically better but there's something about things being limited. When things are limited the crazy poo poo like skulls exploding onto the battlefield in some crazy high level spell really stand out and make the player feel awesome. Or walking around and seeing some wicked cool statue in a sea of desert. 'Holy poo poo dude!!!

On the other hand Diablo3 has so much poo poo going on from level 1 onward that it all gets visually boring. Exploding frogs, a million arrows flying about, and a barbarian spinning around like a Tazmanian devil are awesome...For the first few views of it and its so constant. After a while it becomes kinda eh. If everything is nuts then nothing is.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I appreciate that Project Eternity is going for a more "realistic" look than have exaggerated proportions and rounded, fluffy angles and other things like that. Atmosphere is pretty important to me and Diablo 3 really lacked that due to, among other things, the general art direction.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Buckwheat Sings posted:

On the other hand Diablo3 has so much poo poo going on from level 1 onward that it all gets visually boring. Exploding frogs, a million arrows flying about, and a barbarian spinning around like a Tazmanian devil are awesome...For the first few views of it and its so constant. After a while it becomes kinda eh. If everything is nuts then nothing is.

Yeah this was something you also got in Diablo 1. Level 1 was a rather bland Cathedral and as you got deeper in your march towards Hell the monsters got more deranged and more magic was being thrown around. Blizzard has seemed to forget how great the snowball effect on power is, plus they totally abandoned the art direction the series had in favor of a bland World of Warcraft cartoony look. Everquest also knew this. At level 1 your buffs would just be a green particle effect during casting. Level 35 you get some orange balls coming out of it and by 50 you had blue mixed in as well. It was a good means of making your guy feel like he was progressing aside from numbers on a page.

Also a year before before release DOTA2 was in rather poo poo shape and rather unoptimized. Valve has already updated many of the models many times over. Storm Spirit literally looks nothing like he did 3 months ago.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 11, 2013

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Still can't successfully manage my pledge on the backer site. I wonder if it is still just overloaded or if something is simply broken. Logged a job with support anyway.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Try a different browser.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sensuki posted:

Try a different browser.

Yeah I already tried that. Also different computers.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I am also having the same issue.

Generic errors that tell you nothing are the worst :argh:

E:

And now it worked, proving once again that whining is the most effective way to get things done. :toot:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 11, 2013

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
On the topic of D3, I mean, come on. This game had procedurally generated dungeons, while PoE has art that is literally hand-crafted.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kanfy posted:

I am also having the same issue.

Generic errors that tell you nothing are the worst :argh:

E:

And now it worked, proving once again that whining is the most effective way to get things done. :toot:

:hfive:

Same here. Just overloaded I guess.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
I like the procedurally "teh hards" megadogeon design mentioned in the RPS article.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I can kinda see the complaint with the animations, but I can understand that people used to thinking in terms of Infinity Engine not really noticing it.

It's really a matter of just tuning it and, while I don't want to make anyone panic, it's at least fairly easy to fix over a period of time, but it is not an intuitive process, since it may mean every skeleton may need to be looked at to have their animations jaunted.

I did notice that there is no "bounce", but frankly I wonder if a bounce to their animation would actually make them too distracting and if that was a visual choice to actually mediate more information quickly.

I didn't get to see fighting too well, since it shifts, but the one slice I saw was basically the fighter stretching his arm out.

Which, honestly, isn't gonna cut it. He needs to swing that thing, preferably in fewer frames.

Spell effects are tougher to judge, because half of them looked really good and the other half looked confusing.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Kind of forgot I dropped $250 on this. Kind of happy I did.

Hey Rope Jerk, can I get my map signed instead of a box? How the hell are you supposed to display a BOX? Answer me that.

EDIT: Can I play as Ribsmasher 2.0 and just punch everything to death?

In a larger shadow-box to create an Inception of boxes

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Rope Kid, could you imagine where the project would be right now and what it would look like if you had only hit your minimum goal for the Kickstarter?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Maybe it's because every Unity game is made cheaply, but I feel like the bounce / floaty-ness might just be a feature of the engine, the way terrible hair and weightless models were in every UE3 game.

These last few pages are a great reminder why we get so little in-game media from the devs, even when it's stamped clearly as WIP. The impulse to be a backseat driver / get upset at the possibility that what you're seeing may somehow end up being final is too great.

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

Mozi posted:

Rope Kid, could you imagine where the project would be right now and what it would look like if you had only hit your minimum goal for the Kickstarter?

This is a great question, please answer it, I want to know.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rope kid posted:

Fighters' basic Defender mode increases their number of Melee Engagement targets by two (to a total of three). It makes a big difference. One fighter in Defender can stop forward enemy motion as well as three other melee characters. For really chopping into groups of enemies, that's what barbarians (and their Carnage ability) are for.

I forget, do Fighters have a 'taunt' or something to make enemies engage them instead of your squishier allies (assuming I'm playing a stereotypical D&D party)? It could seriously put a crimp in things if enemies are coming at the from all directions, or if there's an ambush. I remember Avengers (or Paladins, can't recall) from 4E being able to Mark enemies, so that the longer the enemy didn't face them, the more damage they suffered. Considering the abundance of soul powers and/or knowledge in the setting, I think it's reasonable for the fighty sort to be able to 'pull' enemies towards them, either by direct taunt or by disabling the foe as long as the foe doesn't engage them.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
They're doing a real-time take on Opportunity attacks. Fighters (all melee characters?) project a zone of control as long as the reach of their weapon and anyone moving through is subject to a free attack which roots if it hits. At least that's what I remember.
It's all very 4E, which is great.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The backer portal is saying my email address is already in use so I don't know what's true anymore. When I try to reset my password (because I've never been on the site before) it tells me that my email address isn't in the system. My life is a lie.

I am so confused. Should I just wait another few days to see what's going on?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
The animations do look pretty stiff, I don't think that's an invalid criticism.

Drifter posted:

The backer portal is saying my email address is already in use so I don't know what's true anymore. When I try to reset my password (because I've never been on the site before) it tells me that my email address isn't in the system. My life is a lie.

Did you write a support ticket?

Kind of glad they didn't launch this on Thanksgiving week with everyone out of the office.

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

Drifter posted:

This happened to me, but I was able to fix it. I think it happened because I was already registered on Obsidian's forums, which seem to be using the same set of users. I went to the Obsidian forums and sent myself a password reset from there, and was then able to log in on the Pillars of Eternity website with my obsidian forums username/password.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I am incredibly glad that the "Magic Missile" spell effect is not blue but instead gold.
Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Scorchy, I didn't want to send a ticket just yet because I didn't want to waste anyone's time with something I may have been either able to solve on my own, or wait until the system was less slammed. :shrug:

Since it wasn't an emergency or anything, you know?

DoktorVerderben posted:

This happened to me, but I was able to fix it. I think it happened because I was already registered on Obsidian's forums, which seem to be using the same set of users. I went to the Obsidian forums and sent myself a password reset from there, and was then able to log in on the Pillars of Eternity website with my obsidian forums username/password.

This was exactly it. I had forgotten I had signed up at Obsidian's 'normal' website, I wonder why I had done that. Oh well.

A bit weird Eternity.obsidian only kept track of my username, but not my email address. I would've thought those fields would exist together.

Thank you for that suggestion.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

DatonKallandor posted:

They're doing a real-time take on Opportunity attacks. Fighters (all melee characters?) project a zone of control as long as the reach of their weapon and anyone moving through is subject to a free attack which roots if it hits. At least that's what I remember.
It's all very 4E, which is great.
Close. All characters who are not moving and have melee weapons equipped project a small Melee Engagement radius around them. If an enemy enters that radius, they are instantly Engaged and stop moving. They can start moving again immediately, but they will be subject to a free Disengagement Attack. Disengagement Attacks hit hard and call a long hit reaction, so if you just try to walk away from someone, it can be costly.

Most characters can only engage one enemy at a time. If they don't have a target, it's the first enemy who enters the radius. If they do have a target, it's them. For fighters in Defender mode, it's the first three, one of which is typically someone they are attacking.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I personally only notice the floaty-ness of the animation during the combat shots shown in the trailer. Well it's not a huge deal and certainly one I could get used to, I do hope it gets tightened up a bit since the rest of the game looks so great. Except for that big fireball explosion + gibs. Those look pretty janky to be honest. It's cool that there are gibs, I had no idea, but from what it looks like it's just three chunks with some blood particle effects. Seems kinda underwhelming. It'd be super awesome if the fireball explosion looked like an actual explosion, though.

Can't wait to play this. I'm so excited for it.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

rope kid posted:

Close. All characters who are not moving and have melee weapons equipped project a small Melee Engagement radius around them. If an enemy enters that radius, they are instantly Engaged and stop moving. They can start moving again immediately, but they will be subject to a free Disengagement Attack. Disengagement Attacks hit hard and call a long hit reaction, so if you just try to walk away from someone, it can be costly.

Most characters can only engage one enemy at a time. If they don't have a target, it's the first enemy who enters the radius. If they do have a target, it's them. For fighters in Defender mode, it's the first three, one of which is typically someone they are attacking.

Will there be visual UI elements that depict this engagement radius?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

TooManyUzukis posted:

Will there be visual UI elements that depict this engagement radius?
Probably not, but it's a constant. It's pretty rare (never?) that I wind up thinking, "Oh that should/shouldn't have triggered Engagement."

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Cession posted:

Games like D3 employ a lot of tricks to give their game an extra oomph, and I don't think anyone expects that here. Turn rate deceleration, run->stop animations, ... We don't need any of that. Just loosen up the animations.

Uh. My team literally did that in a 30-day game jam game last month. The blending/interpolation tools are part of Unity's animation toolset and hook directly into the code. Why wouldn't you use them?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

An RPS interview appears: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/11/obsidian-on-dungeoniest-dungeon-ever-eternitys-length/

quote:

Sawyer: Yeah. Edér is… I guess Edér is… We can talk a little bit about Edér? I think we can talk about Edér. If you looked at Edér, what would you guess his class is? The snarky blond guy.

RPS: Probably the rogue?

Sawyer: He is actually the rogue. Most people assume that he’s the fighter. He is kind of a big dude. He is more of the fighter archetype, but in actuality, the way he fights in combat and his experiences, they’re more along the lines of the rogue class. The way you use him is more along the rogue’s lines.

But in personality, he’s a soldier. He’s a guy who fought in the Saints War. His personality reflects that. Instead of him being a rogue who’s like, “Oh, now I’d like to steal the gold!” he actually has none of that at all. He is not a criminal. He doesn’t have any of that in his background. He’s a skirmisher, like a guerrilla fighter, who fought in the Saints War. That’s why he’s a rogue, because he’s kind of like this really wily fighter. A fighter in the sense of a melee combatant – a really vicious, brutal combatant – but he’s not a Gray Mouser type of character. But he is the rogue. He’s just this big 6’2” blond bearded guy in scale armor with a big sword.

And uhm

quote:

Check back tomorrow for a chat with Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart about the developer’s enticingly ambitious plans for another Kickstarter. And no, it’s not Pillars of Eternity 2.

my wallet it hurts

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I hope it's something sci-fi/modern day. Fantasy is cool and all, but there's a severe lack of on non-fantasy RPGs.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Scorchy posted:

my wallet it hurts

I know how you feel bro.

And by that, I mean it is a good pain :allears:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

There's been a lot of leaks in the last year coming out of Obsidian with details of their cancelled projects, like that sci-fi one, I have to figure some of it was to test the waters to see if the interest is there to support another kickstarter.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Upmarket Mango posted:

Except for that big fireball explosion + gibs. Those look pretty janky to be honest. It's cool that there are gibs, I had no idea, but from what it looks like it's just three chunks with some blood particle effects. Seems kinda underwhelming. It'd be super awesome if the fireball explosion looked like an actual explosion, though.

I played all the Infinity Engine games in the german version, so I never knew they even had gibs until they showed up again on GoG in the international versions. Frankly they were better looking without them.
Can we get a gibs toggle for Pillars of Eternity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'd end up throwing more money on a sci-fi RPG Kickstarter than I did on Eternity. :ohdear:

• Locked thread