Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
It was all vented out. The video doesn't show the time lag until I popped the hood. There's a 2 minute cut between when I set the cam down and remounted it to the windshield. Notice you don't see the hood pop up. That's because I'd popped it and hopped out and listened for venting then remembered to hop in and clip the camera back up. Trust me, I'm familiar with the whole 'vent cap deciding to fail while your head is in close proximity' thing. I don't want to do that again.

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Or, like me, you are in such a blind fury that your only means of getting to work is leaking and overheating again after you replaced the radiator (hooray for EJ25 head gaskets) that you immediately uncork the pressure cap after shutting off the car.

I don't think I've ever moved so loving fast in my life and have no idea how I didn't get my hand scalded. The geyser must have been 15ft high and covered the engine bay, roof, and soaked my hair in coolant. The only excuse I have for myself is that the cap was completely cool to the touch and in my rage that meant it was totally safe, never mind the pegged temperature gauge or the steam coming from under the engine. Grabbed the hose next to the gas station I was at, filled it with I've cold water, rinsed out my hair, and kept driving that fucker for 3 more months before the gaskets finally failed entirely.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

EightBit posted:

The steam itself can cause pretty nasty burns on contact, not to mention that there is coolant going everywhere; you absorb ethylene glycol through your skin and lungs, if you can smell it you are slowly being poisoned.

But it's soo sweet and delicious!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Real men use propylene glycol coolant, because real men have dogges and cattes they don't want to accidentally kill.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Real men drive air cooled. :colbert:

Full disclosure: I haven't owned a classic VW for 8 years now so I guess I'm not a real man anymore.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Real men use propylene glycol coolant, because real men have dogges and cattes they don't want to accidentally kill.

poo poo, I didn't know one kind was safer for dogs and cats. I'm gonna definitely look for that next time I buy coolant (which is often because I own a Subaru).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

EightBit posted:

The steam itself can cause pretty nasty burns on contact, not to mention that there is coolant going everywhere; you absorb ethylene glycol through your skin and lungs, if you can smell it you are slowly being poisoned.
Ethylene glycol isn't really an inhalation risk, you have to drink it to get enough into your body to be toxic. It doesn't evaporate well and even in steam it is irritating enough that it's difficult to inhale a toxic dose if you have the opportunity to run somewhere you can actually breathe.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

xzzy posted:

Real men drive air cooled. :colbert:

Full disclosure: I haven't owned a classic VW for 8 years now so I guess I'm not a real man anymore.

I'll gladly pay you tuesday never to have to deal with a corvair motor again.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

420 vape PG e-cigarette "smoke" everyday.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Geirskogul posted:

It's only the dogs (and deer and other wildlife) that you have to worry about. Cats don't give a gently caress about it because they have literally zero taste or smell receptors for "sweet".

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Splizwarf posted:

It's only the dogs (and deer and other wildlife) that you have to worry about. Cats don't give a gently caress about it because they have literally zero taste or smell receptors for "sweet".

Not true. I've witnessed at least one EG poisoning in a cat, and it is distinctly not good.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

Or, like me, you are in such a blind fury that your only means of getting to work is leaking and overheating again after you replaced the radiator (hooray for EJ25 head gaskets) that you immediately uncork the pressure cap after shutting off the car.

My experience was trying to slowly uncork an overheated Rover only to have the cheap plastic overflow cap literally disintegrate in my hand. *BOOM* Coolant everywhere. How I remained unscalded I have no clue. I was covered in that sweet tasting poo poo as was my entire car and driveway. It happened in front of my wife and now she's scared shitless any time I open the hood of a warmed up vehicle.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

EightBit posted:

I am a mechanic in a lovely neighborhood. So that means smoking cars all the time, and if it was that bad I am sure we would have heard more about it. I mean I see mechanics all the time with there face in the engine bay as steam or smoke slowly rises. How else are you going to smell it and know what is going on? :science:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Splizwarf posted:

My girlfriend's cat showing up begging every time one of us has ice cream, pie, cake, candy, etc, would like to call bullshit on this.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

SouthsideSaint posted:

I am a mechanic in a lovely neighborhood. So that means smoking cars all the time, and if it was that bad I am sure we would have heard more about it. I mean I see mechanics all the time with there face in the engine bay as steam or smoke slowly rises. How else are you going to smell it and know what is going on? :science:

Pro mechanics use all their senses, including taste, to identify leaks that aren't immediately obvious.

Except for gear oil, never taste gear oil.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Terrible Robot posted:

Pro mechanics use all their senses, including taste, to identify leaks.

What has been tasted... Cannot be untasted.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Pro mechanics use all their senses, including taste, to identify leaks that aren't immediately obvious.

yeah...I didn't want to taste it....someone just was being a fucktard and started the jeep with me flushing the differential . Glad I don't work for jiffy lube anymore. Jiffy lube is the place were I got to taste almost every fluid, and each one was worse then the last. Except windshield washer fluid I mean I would never want to drink it but for all the horrible car chemicals I have tasted it was the least gross. ATF has a horrible unique taste I will never forget either.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Gear oil smells so terrible that I can't possibly imagine what it must taste like.

Fresh ATF smells great though. Go figure.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

thylacine posted:

420 vape PG e-cigarette "smoke" everyday.

Haha, I developed an allergy to PG after smoking high PG blends for a couple of months. Deodorant with PG in it gives me a big rash/itches, PG juice will make my throat close up, etc.

So I quit.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

I don't think anyone sets out to intentionally taste gear oil. It just drips into their mouth right at the moment they open it to ask for another wrench. Cue spitting/coughing/cursing fit for the next 5 minutes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Ugh, don't remind me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BlackMK4 posted:

Haha, I developed an allergy to PG after smoking high PG blends for a couple of months. Deodorant with PG in it gives me a big rash/itches, PG juice will make my throat close up, etc.

So I quit.

Oh gently caress me that's what probably happened. Smoked analogs for years and years. Made a cold switch to e-cigs and it went great for like 6 months. Had a nasty head cold for a week and didn't smoke anything. Going back to e-cigs instantly closed my throat. And now that I think about it that's about the same time I noticed my tried and true Old Spice burning the gently caress out of my armpits.

:stare:

Edit: vvvvv :lol::lol:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 11, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You need to ask your transmission to drink more pineapple juice.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Had a nasty head cold for a week and didn't smoke anything. Going back to e-cigs instantly closed my throat. And now that I think about it that's about the same time I noticed my tried and true Old Spice burning the gently caress out of my armpits.

-Exactly- the same thing for me.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
From imgur.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

From imgur.

How the hell? Slid sideways and broke the struts?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Control arms in the front probably bent or snapped (if it's an actual STI they're aluminum). The rear would be lateral links.

e: He definitely hit a curb. You can see a grate under the right front wheel.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I am guessing a curb was hiding beneath the snow. Waiting.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Chinatown posted:

From imgur.

I bet he was about to hit 88mph.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Chinatown posted:

From imgur.

It's like hellaflush on opposite day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Little too much positive camber if you ask me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Swing axle is back in style now.

Yesssssssssssssssss :smug:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
For them to be that far out I would expect the upright and/or strut to be broken.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Swing axle is back in style now.

Yesssssssssssssssss :smug:

Well someone has to rock the obsolete suspension setups now that the Mustang is going to IRS. :smug:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Chinatown posted:

From imgur.

Heh, a guy I went to college with did this to a brand new Chevy Impala rental car (while his '08 WRX was in the shop :v:). Turns out foot-operated parking brakes aren't so good for "drifting". Unsurprisingly he did not graduate.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

KennyLoggins posted:

I bet he was about to hit 88mph.

There's a BTTF video game?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pretty sure that's Vice City.

E: Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsEuTTop6ms

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh hey, a cat c12!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Oh hey, a cat c12!

Thats a big crankcase breather hole!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Thats a big crankcase breather hole!

It's a window to monitor engine function.