Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I think the later half of Season 2 was a bit of a clusterfuck and killed my interest in the show for me. Then Pan came in and I fell in love again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Macaluso posted:

I'm a little disappointed reading the OP though, does everyone here really view the show as a "guilty pleasure that we watch because it's so bad it's good"? Cause I think it's a legit good show.
I've always liked the show and I believe most people here feel the same way. We do recognize it's not perfect though. For instance: Henry isn't the best actor and Regina is a cold blooded mass murderer who should be serving a life sentence but she's also Henry's adoptive mother so that makes everything legit according to the Disney code of justice. Despite its obvious flaws, it's still a genuinely interesting and fun show.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
They'd better not be setting up the whole prophesy to have Pan-as-Henry kill off Rumple, or I (and a lot of people) will be very pissed. I suppose they could work it somehow that his downfall will be losing his powers or something instead of dying, but that would still change a pretty huge dynamic of the show.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Pffft. If Rumple dies, I'm out. Out, I say!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am only watching the show because of Rumpelstiltskin, Belle and somewhat Regina, I don't really like most of the other regular characters. Pan was a real breath of fresh air this season though, and I find the show interesting enough to keep watching atleast.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

KasioDiscoRock posted:

They'd better not be setting up the whole prophesy to have Pan-as-Henry kill off Rumple, or I (and a lot of people) will be very pissed. I suppose they could work it somehow that his downfall will be losing his powers or something instead of dying, but that would still change a pretty huge dynamic of the show.

Pretty much the entire point of the "make a deal with a with the devil-type-creature" fairy tales is that word choice is ludicrously specific and important. "Undoing" as opposed to something like death or doom is pretty obviously a setup for having his Dark One status removed. I would also be a little surprised if they didn't save that for the series finale, since as you point out he's a fan favorite and large portions of the plot require him to have magic.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Macaluso posted:

So I just marathoned the past 2 and a half seasons this past week and I'm all caught up now and I love this show to death. I love Rumplestiltskin and Belle. I'm a little disappointed reading the OP though, does everyone here really view the show as a "guilty pleasure that we watch because it's so bad it's good"? Cause I think it's a legit good show. There aren't many bad things about it to me besides some of the CG not being great which isn't surprising.

I mean this thread isn't like Dexter where everyone hates the show but keeps watching because ??? is it

Also the part in season 2 when Hook shoots Belle causing her to fall over the city line and lose her memories, I haven't been so mad at a TV show in a long time
Other than the CG, the show is good. Also I am a sucker for the LOST format, which is pretty clear because a bunch of the writers and showrunners I believe also worked on LOST. They take a lot of cues from that. Sometimes the plots are just eye-roll worthy and S2 dipped a bit but I always enjoy seeing what happens and the flashbacks are pretty much always the best part if only so our anti-heroes, aka the Evil Queen and Rumple can be straight up loving evil without simply always implying it (or because the Charmings are actually bearable pre-Curse).

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Emma: Sure you don't have other reasons for pushing me toward Neal?
David: Like what?
Emma: I dunno, keeping me away from Hook.
David: You think I'm interested in Hook? Emma, I'm a married man.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

nelson posted:

Emma: Sure you don't have other reasons for pushing me toward Neal?
David: Like what?
Emma: I dunno, keeping me away from Hook.
David: You think I'm interested in Hook? Emma, I'm a married man.

That was an excellent exchange. I like a cheeky Charming.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I like that they resolved the whole "Charming has to stay in Neverland dilemma", which took up like half a dozen episodes, literally with

"Here, drink this."
"K thanks bye."

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

qbert posted:

I like that they resolved the whole "Charming has to stay in Neverland dilemma", which took up like half a dozen episodes, literally with

"Here, drink this."
"K thanks bye."

I like that they resolved the "Pan is in Henry's body" in 1 episode instead of drawing it out forever. The strange part is, the kid that plays Henry is... a good Pan. Much better 'Pan' than 'Henry'.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

qbert posted:

"Here, drink this."
"K thanks bye."

Yeah, there was absolutely no sense of urgency once they got back. I just sat there going, "Really? That's-- That's it?"

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Wolvorine posted:

I like that they resolved the "Pan is in Henry's body" in 1 episode instead of drawing it out forever. The strange part is, the kid that plays Henry is... a good Pan. Much better 'Pan' than 'Henry'.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

The Nautilus
Jul 24, 2012

HELLO

Wolvorine posted:

Right? Here I thought he was just a bad actor. It turns out he's just bad at playing Henry. I hope someone hires him in a full time jerk role in the future so he can stretch his little actor wings.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

The Nautilus posted:

Right? Here I thought he was just a bad actor. It turns out he's just bad at playing Henry. I hope someone hires him in a full time jerk role in the future so he can stretch his little actor wings.

I don't think he's bad at playing Henry so much as that Henry has become a somewhat dull character over time. I remember from the first season that Henry was cunning and manipulative (albeit in the good cause of breaking Regina's curse). In seasons 2 and 3 he went from being a good-intentioned but slightly ruthless little chess-master to being a generic "good boy" victim/prize with his edges smoothed away. Now that he's playing Pan, he's got his edge back.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think it's because Henry doesn't really have a goal anymore. The first season it basically him trying to espionage his way to getting the town fixed alongside Emma. He doesn't have anything to really do anymore besides get kidnapped or something. I think they need to send him to the Enchanted Forest or one of the other worlds, possibly with Charming (yeah more Charming and Snow being split up w/e) so that he can go on a real adventure and have to solve problems himself. The actor isn't bad at all, especially knowing how bad a lot of kid actors can be. He just needs something to do. The fact that he's such a strong believer can be used plenty of ways.

Also I hope we get to see more worlds in some way. One of my favorite things was the inclusion of the Land Without Color, so I'd love to see other worlds like Oz or perhaps a greek myths world? See how the curse effected other worlds beyond bringing Viktor to Storybrook.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I thought the curse only brought the people from the Enchanted Forest that Regina wanted to bring, the ones who were important enough to be noticed (minus the bubble that Cora created).

I'd also love to see an expansion of characters from other fairy tales and myths.

Henry needs another quest.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

fork bomb posted:

I thought the curse only brought the people from the Enchanted Forest that Regina wanted to bring, the ones who were important enough to be noticed (minus the bubble that Cora created).

Well according to the creators in one of their podcasts they mention that that the curse also went to other lands as well, in reference to the Mad Hatter who was stuck in Wonderland. And as far as we know right now the last flashback for Whale that we've seen took place in The World Without Color. So it sounds like he was pulled from there just like the Mad Hatter was pulled from Wonderland. Of course both of those characters interacted with the Queen in some way so I guess they could've been singled out when the curse hit the other lands but I guess that means there's even more openings for characters from other worlds the Queen may have interacted with to help kill Snow or whatever

I'm a sucker for alternate dimensions and poo poo can you tell

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

fork bomb posted:

I'd also love to see an expansion of characters from other fairy tales and myths.

Henry needs another quest.

Nope, it brought everyone from the Enchanted Forest apart from Cora's bubble. Even some animals who were turned into humans. Like that mouse who was friends with Ruby. But all of those people from the bubble ended up slaughtered by Cora later. So there's only 3 people left in the EF- Sleeping Beauty, Prince Phillip & Mulan.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Andrew_1985 posted:

So there's only 3 people left in the EF- Sleeping Beauty, Prince Phillip & Mulan.

Also Robin Hood + merry men.

Macaluso posted:

I'm a sucker for alternate dimensions and poo poo can you tell

Same. I've said it before, but they did a great job with the black and white world (such a neat effect that added to the "extra-dimensionalism" feeling). I'm glad the show has been structured in a way that allows for so many possibilities.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Andrew_1985 posted:

So there's only 3 people left in the EF- Sleeping Beauty, Prince Phillip & Mulan.

Aren't Robin Hood and his Merry Men wandering around the EF? Was there any explanation as to how they escaped the curse?

Or why everybody didn't lose their memories when they went through the barrier on Hook's ship?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Whoops, I completely forgot Robin Hood even existed. I would assume they were in the forest somewhere in Cora's bubble.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, that big bubble leaves lots of wiggle room for people who escaped the curse's relocation yet weren't in the village that Cora later slaughtered.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sorry, I just found this thread. I don't necessarily dislike this show, but man oh man, the graphics make Once Upon in Wonderland look GOOD.

The swords literally look wooden.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

The swords literally look wooden.

Yeah, I laugh every time there's a close up of Alice's sword because it looks like a giant steak knife.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Sophie Lowe is Australian. I can only assume that she brought her sword from a table at the original Outback steakhouse.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

It's great that the Blue Fairy was standing in the way of Tinkerbell's progress, and then she was killed off that same episode

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
..and nothing of value was lost.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

It does more or less kill the conspiracy that Blue was secretly a master villain pulling the puppet strings from the background. Poor Grumpy though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wait why poor Grumpy? Grumpy was into Nova/Astrid, not the blue fairy

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Macaluso posted:

And Amy Acker is probably never coming back either. :shrug:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Oh yeah crap, I forgot that was someone else. I guess he's still just the usual level of grump.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I can't explain why, but i find Wonderland it just so much better than the main show, perhaps it is that it tells a good simple story, or just that i don't hate most of the characters. But i thought the latest episode was quite good.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Oasx posted:

I can't explain why, but i find Wonderland it just so much better than the main show, perhaps it is that it tells a good simple story, or just that i don't hate most of the characters. But i thought the latest episode was quite good.

I was really impress with Anastasia last episode. And she looked really purdy with her hair down. I hope she stays on team Alice. I also hope some random person finds the bottle first so we can see Will as a genie. I bet he's a hilarious genie. "You want to wish what? That's stupid!"

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Emma Rigby, I can't decide from one minute to the next if she's ridiculously hot or ridiculously strange looking. Those lips look like they are trying to secede from her face, and she almost ALWAYS looks like her eyes are welling up with tears.

But she's also pretty good looking.

Also, it still weirds me out that all I see in Will is his Sister from Misfits. Like, her with a dyke haircut.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Feenix posted:

Emma Rigby, I can't decide from one minute to the next if she's ridiculously hot or ridiculously strange looking. Those lips look like they are trying to secede from her face, and she almost ALWAYS looks like her eyes are welling up with tears.

Her features are less severe with her hair down.

Feenix posted:

Also, it still weirds me out that all I see in Will is his Sister from Misfits. Like, her with a dyke haircut.

It's okay, I can't unsee him as Tom McNair from Being Human. He was so fantastic in that show and I'm really enjoying him here too. If Wonderland tanks I hope they have him jump over to OUAT.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Feenix posted:

Oh poo poo! I never actually paid attention to the actor's names but every time he talks all I hear is that it's the same accent as Kelly. Now I know why!

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

EVERYBODY RIOT!

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
I refuse to accept he's dead.

foxatee posted:

EVERYBODY RIOT!

Nah, I'm good. I refuse to accept he's dead. If stabbing yourself was an option, Zoso would have done it himself instead of tricking Rumple into doing it. Also, I would have to quit watching if Robert Carlyle were gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Ahhhh! Next season! :supaburn:

• Locked thread