Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

90s Godzilla was bad.

Do you mean the Emmerich one, or the bulk of the Heisei series?

Edit: New page, so here's a cool looking poster for a film I know little to nothing about, other than it's a Mexican horror movie.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Vagabundo posted:

Do you mean the Emmerich one, or the bulk of the Heisei series?

I mean Ferris Bueller, Raptors and Madison Square Garden.

It had a pretty awesome soundtrack though.,

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, from what I've heard, borrows enough from Conquest of the Planet of the Apes to be treated like a remake of it. Can't verify that though.

Beyond the very general concept (an ape named Caesar, apes smash humans at some point), they don't have much in common.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

axleblaze posted:

Honestly, not really. It's more concise but I think that actually sounds more awkward.
I was not being serious. :ssh:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Looks to me like a fairly logical way to go after Rise ofThePlanetOfTheApes. Apes adopting more human characteristics, collecting in tribes, practicing facepainting as a way to associate themselves with their tribe and/or inspire more fear into (human) enemies. You can't really skip that whole development and go straight to Dr. Zaius schlurping Starbucks in his khakis and leather.

I think this presumes a deterministic model of cultural development, one which takes for granted a rigid timeline of developmental stages and habitually associates nonwhite cultures (even those that persist into the modern day) with the more primitive stages.

If we're just talking about a functional need for tribal markers, how come I don't see any of those apes rocking the Braveheart look?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

morestuff posted:

Beyond the very general concept (an ape named Caesar, apes smash humans at some point), they don't have much in common.

There was still some specific stuff, like the first word an Ape spoke being "no" to a human. As for the goofy name stuff, the first movie went through a lot of titles before ending up on the one we got. At first it was just called "Caesar" then "Caesar: Rise of the Apes" then "Rise of the Apes" and finally we got "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" to make sure people knew that it was connected to the franchise.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Vagabundo posted:

Edit: New page, so here's a cool looking poster for a film I know little to nothing about, other than it's a Mexican horror movie.

HERE THE COMES DEVIL

I like the poster though, and bonus points for Serif Gothic (Halloween, Evil Dead 2)

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

The MSJ posted:

or this:

How can you not post the Nike commercial this was based on?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oCF-QFuoYs

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think this presumes a deterministic model of cultural development, one which takes for granted a rigid timeline of developmental stages and habitually associates nonwhite cultures (even those that persist into the modern day) with the more primitive stages.

If we're just talking about a functional need for tribal markers, how come I don't see any of those apes rocking the Braveheart look?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dr. Killjoy posted:

How can you not post the Nike commercial this was based on?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oCF-QFuoYs

There it is. The Chaos Dunk.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's really picky of me but I'm bothered that Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is so thematically similar to Rise of the Planet of the Apes as a title.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It's not real Godzilla unless there's a Rob Zombie song playing whenever he's wrecking poo poo. :colbert:

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

axleblaze posted:

I dunno, I was glad to see him in this context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIcExdpsEcQ

Oh my god I have to see this movie right loving now!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ez posted:

It was actually the last Godzilla movie before this new one coming out. It was released as the 50th anniversary movie and Toho decided that they weren't going to do another Godzilla movie for 10 years for some reason or another. Possibly because it wasn't super popular. It's gotten mixed reviews from critics and was the least attended Godzilla movie in 29 years. It did get a US DVD release and it's like 7 bucks on Amazon.

The story with American Godzilla now that Toho got their hands on him is that he's a mutated iguana named Zilla that was misidentified as Godzilla by America. It only seems fitting that his only representation in the 50th anniversary movie is a fight with buttrock in the background that lasts less than a minute and consists of Zilla getting entirely curbstomped.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's probably a little early to start talking about this in-depth, just based on a first batch of posters. A first trailer or something might give some more context.

Speaking of the Braveheart look, do you think these markings used for the apes specifically refer to a style of, for instance, African or South-American facepainting, which would suggest they're having the apes specifically adopt primitive non-white customs?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Ez posted:

I hope you enjoy super sentai or whatever it is those crazy Japanese-style superhero shows are called, because Final Wars overall feels more one of those than a kaiju movie.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

It's really picky of me but I'm bothered that Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is so thematically similar to Rise of the Planet of the Apes as a title.

I had the same feeling. Dawn feels like it should precede Rise as a title, not follow it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

PriorMarcus posted:

It feels like a continuation of the "_____of the Planet of the Apes" name scheme that even the old films' sequels had.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
To me Dawn should have been the first one and Rise the second, but they are still very thematically similar words to describe the creation of some kind of 'ape planet'

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

These apes rise before dawn. You need to be a go-getter if you want your own planet.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Possible further titles:

Beginning of the Planet of the Apes
Ascension of the Planet of the Apes
False Start of the the Planet of the Apes
Growing Pains of the Planet of the Apes
Inauguration of the Planet of the Apes
Initiation of the Planet of the Apes

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Dark Side of the Planet of the Apes
Eclipse of the Planet of the Apes
The soundtracks of both are nothing but Pink Floyd songs.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This sci fi movie title talk reminds me of a classic Patrice Oneal bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKQ4cOig0xE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Madkal posted:

Possible further titles:

John Carpenter's Planet of the Apes 2000

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Beneath the Planet of the Apes.
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
Battle for the Planet of the Apes
Escape from the Planet of the Apes

Am I doing this right?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Night of the Planet Of The Apes
Day of the Planet Of The Apes
Land of the Planet Of The Apes
Diary of the Planet Of The Apes
Survival of the Planet Of The Apes

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
A XXX Parody of the Planet of the Apes

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Planet of the Apes 2: Goin' Bananas

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Before Sunrise of The Planet of The Apes
Before Sunset of The Planet of The Apes
Before Midnight of The Planet of The Apes

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes: Revenge of the Fallen
Planet of the Apes: Dark of the Moon

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Planet Of The Apes
Planet Of The Apes 2: Their First Assignment
Planet Of The Apes 3: Back In Training
Planet Of The Apes 4: Citizens On Patrol
Planet Of The Apes 5: Assignment Miami Beach
Planet Of The Apes 6: City Under Siege
Planet Of The Apes: Mission To Moscow

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I suspect these prequel movies are leading up to another remake of the original Planet of the Apes, which they will probably call 'Planet of the Apes.'

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Basically this all will happen once the apes revives Hollywood.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes 2: Planet of the Apes Harder
Planet of the Apes With a Vengeance
Live Free or Planet of the Apes
A Good Day to Planet of the Apes

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
2 Planet 2 Ape should have been the obvious choice for this film.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Ez's "Goin' Bananas" is the best title and none of the others come close.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kramjacks posted:

Ez's "Goin' Bananas" is the best title and none of the others come close.

I've posted it before and I'll post it again, but this version is my all-time favorite poster:

It's got everything: skimpily clad damsel in distress, giant menacing snake with ruby eyes, handsome half shirtless hero with a gun, skeleton with a radio transmitter embedded in its stomach, skulls with snakes winding through, cannibals sacrificing a victem, giant volcano skull mountain in front of a full moon. You just can't get better.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The final design of the rebooted Godzilla has been revealed.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

The final design of the rebooted Godzilla has been revealed.

Godzilla Begins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

feedmyleg posted:

I've posted it before and I'll post it again, but this version is my all-time favorite poster:

Too bad Andress' acting talent is a swirling vortex of unholy horrors.