Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Daktari posted:

Shameless really clicked with me. Sort of reminder me of Skins as well.
I've touched most of the IMDBs "people who liked this also liked:" for those two shows already.
I stopped with Skins after season 4 or 5. Does anyone recommend the latter seasons?

UK or US Shameless? I watched the UK version for a few seasons but after a while it got a little too silly. I could only watch the first episode of the US version, it was too weird to watch after really liking the UK version for a long time. I watched all the Skins shows (is there a US version?), some of it got repetitive but some of the story lines were quite good even into the later groups of friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

krushgroove posted:

UK or US Shameless? I watched the UK version for a few seasons but after a while it got a little too silly. I could only watch the first episode of the US version, it was too weird to watch after really liking the UK version for a long time. I watched all the Skins shows (is there a US version?), some of it got repetitive but some of the story lines were quite good even into the later groups of friends.

There is a US version? All I've seen is the UK one.
Might give it a shot just for the hell of it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shameless and Skins both have US versions.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
US Shameless remakes a few episodes and shares a few story beats early on but eventually becomes its own awesome show. By all means check it out. US Skins lasted one season and was mostly a retread of the first UK season with a few specific changes. Skip it unless you're really desperate to watch an inferior version of the original UK cast.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I have been watching (had it on while doing other things) 24 from season 1 up to season 7 so far and for a govt agency they must have the worst employee vetting process. Seems like half the people they higher are moles.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I'm not really usually into TV shows, and often get side tracked watching ones recommended to me. Due to work I've had to fly out to Washington state. I start work at 7am and am off at 1pm, don't have a vehicle and can't stand the cold. Sooooo, lots of TV catch up time:

So far I binged the last season of Dexter, the last season of Breaking Bad, then I caught up with The Walking Dead. Those had been the only shows I was following, so now I am tearing through American Horror Story (which I LOVE and wish I had gotten into sooner), and am currently at a loss for what's next.

I gave up on Lost, True Blood, and Heroes a long time ago.

I do have some of the Game of Thrones, but am not really into it, and only watch an episode here and there in between other stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've been less "binging" and more "slowly working my way through" Star Trek DS9 for the first time. I started back in around June, and I'm only in season 5. Anyway I just got to the episode where they travel back in time to the Tribbles episode of the original series, and that was just the Star Trekingest thing I've ever seen. It's nice that they still have the occasional light and funny episode among all the grim space war stuff.

All together I think this may be my favorite Star Trek and I'm glad I saved it for last (aside from Enterprise which I'm not really planning on watching). I liked Voyager all right, but this is so much better so I see why people put down Voyager all the time, especially in comparison.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I just finished Fringe, and wow, what a way to go. It was definitely uneven, and some plot lines just stopped all of a sudden (specifically the closing the Bridge plot should've been a season finale and then misc ones like the Peter as Observer arc ) but it ended perfectly, and that made up for it in spades. (I also personally enjoyed the stuff about Peter being erased from time more than the Season 3 buildup of "Oh Peter has to face his destiny!" )

Poor September. :(

computer parts fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 12, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Regy Rusty posted:

All together I think this may be my favorite Star Trek and I'm glad I saved it for last (aside from Enterprise which I'm not really planning on watching). I liked Voyager all right, but this is so much better so I see why people put down Voyager all the time, especially in comparison.

Really good call. I really wished I had done that.

Enterprise isn't too bad actually if you eventually find yourself wanting to see more. It's really fanservicey and mostly down the middle "eh" instead of being outright good or bad, but there are some arcs after they changed show-runners in the fourth season that will make you wish there had at least been a fifth season.

But I watched it after Voyager so it was really refreshing, especially after that finale stretch of Voyager where I was forcing myself to finish and that finale, yuck. But yeah... following DS9 with enterprise probably has the opposite effect if you don't wait long enough for that DS9 high to wear-off.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So far of Enterprise all I really know about it is what I remember from watching the first episode when it aired back when I was a teenager and not really liking it very much, and that people are generally not too hot on it. Really I think I'm just gonna reevaluate whether or not I want to try Enterprise sometime down the line. After 7 seasons of DS9, (immediately preceded by the last season of Voyager no less!) I think I'm going to be all Star Trekked out for a while. Plus I've built up a bit of a list of other shows I wanna check out.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I've been less "binging" and more "slowly working my way through" Star Trek DS9 for the first time. I started back in around June, and I'm only in season 5. Anyway I just got to the episode where they travel back in time to the Tribbles episode of the original series, and that was just the Star Trekingest thing I've ever seen. It's nice that they still have the occasional light and funny episode among all the grim space war stuff.

I agree with this entire post, except for me or is literally the other way around. I watch voyager start to finish every two years or so. Don't know if I could with DS9. So few likeable characters.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Enterprise wasn't all that great, but season 3 started to get pretty awesome with the start of the Federation and all that. Not worth watching the rest of it, though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

qntm posted:

UK series generally have far fewer writers than US shows. As far as I can glean, there is no "writers' room"-style model where a dozen writers sit in one room for twelve hours a day. It's mainly solo writers working alone on their own time.

Black Mirror is not flawless but "White Bear" is one of the most incredible and frightening things I've ever seen on television. To anybody reading this who hasn't seen it: avoid spoilers, go in blind, and watch that one episode.

...and stick around through the credits. Doing so makes White Bear and The Waldo Moment so much better.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Obese Janissary posted:

I'm not really usually into TV shows, and often get side tracked watching ones recommended to me. Due to work I've had to fly out to Washington state. I start work at 7am and am off at 1pm, don't have a vehicle and can't stand the cold. Sooooo, lots of TV catch up time:

So far I binged the last season of Dexter, the last season of Breaking Bad, then I caught up with The Walking Dead. Those had been the only shows I was following, so now I am tearing through American Horror Story (which I LOVE and wish I had gotten into sooner), and am currently at a loss for what's next.

I gave up on Lost, True Blood, and Heroes a long time ago.

I do have some of the Game of Thrones, but am not really into it, and only watch an episode here and there in between other stuff.
Justified Trust me on this. The first season is more episodic, but still not bad. At the end of it, and from season 2 on it gets serialized and extremely good.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Trig Discipline posted:

Wait til you see Black Mirror. Strong contender for the best sci fi ever to be broadcast, but there are only two seasons and they are only three episodes each.

I just checked Wikipedia to see if there was mentioned of a 3rd series there, and discovered it's apparently hugely popular in China.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Time to rewatch Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy
If the shows I have recently binged are Life, Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Wonders of Life (Brian Cox), Wonders of the Universe (Brian Cox), Cosmos (Carl Sagan), Niel Degrasse Tyson, and science videos (vsauce, minute physics, veritasium, TED, NASA science) and even Bill Bailey's Alfred Russel Wallace and the Spice Islands in Borneo

... what do you suggest?

edit: (I also watched Morgan Freeman's Through the Wormhole)
VVV What if I read it and then watch it?

PosSibley fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 13, 2013

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

PosSibley posted:

If the shows I have recently binged are Life, Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Wonders of Life (Brian Cox), Wonders of the Universe (Brian Cox), Cosmos (Carl Sagan), Niel Degrasse Tyson, and science videos (vsauce, minute physics, veritasium, TED, NASA science) and even Bill Bailey's Alfred Russel Wallace and the Spice Islands in Borneo

... what do you suggest?

Last Chance to See. Probably better if you've read the book, but awesome regardless.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Rewatching The Wire. Just finished season 1, and it's bizarre to think how likeable some of these characters become in the future seasons. Also pretty neat to see characters like Clay Davis appear so early on. I'd completely forgotten he was even in season 1. Sheeeeit, that was some nice foreshadowing.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Aphra Bane posted:

Rewatching The Wire. Just finished season 1, and it's bizarre to think how likeable some of these characters become in the future seasons. Also pretty neat to see characters like Clay Davis appear so early on. I'd completely forgotten he was even in season 1. Sheeeeit, that was some nice foreshadowing.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how I felt disgusted by one chracter at the end of season 1 only to feel absolutley gutted when he went on to meet his death at the end of the series.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how I felt disgusted by one chracter at the end of season 1 only to feel absolutley gutted when he went on to meet his death at the end of the series.

You could talk about the Wire for days, so I'll just say that one of the things I adored about the show was that I alternated between liking and disliking pretty much every character at one point or another. But the one you're thinking of in particular hit me really hard too because I felt he had the best arc of the entire cast. (At least who I think you're talking about. I'm talking about Bodie)

Saganlives fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 13, 2013

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Kyle Hyde posted:

I'm talking about Bodie)

Yup.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I gave up on the Office a while ago and caught some episodes of seasons 6-8 but felt it had lost something. Just watched the final season through and loved it. They really stepped up the quality, it must've been because they finally had an end date in mind.

It might've been a bit overly nice at the end with a lot of closure, but hey, we all need a feel good moment now and again. I really loved it. I can't find the thread though.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Greyish Orange posted:

I gave up on the Office a while ago and caught some episodes of seasons 6-8 but felt it had lost something. Just watched the final season through and loved it. They really stepped up the quality, it must've been because they finally had an end date in mind.

It might've been a bit overly nice at the end with a lot of closure, but hey, we all need a feel good moment now and again. I really loved it. I can't find the thread though.

Actually, you're not too far off. Greg Daniels (showrunner from Seasons 1-4) returned and he would only come back if it were the final season and he could end it on his terms. The final is a bit hit and miss but MUCH better than 7 and 8. The finale was also fairly satisfying all things considered.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Thanks to everyone who recommended it, I stopped watching everything I was partway through this weekend, and slammed Black Mirror in one go.

Jesus Christ it was.... intense? I think that's the best way to describe it.
The only episode I didn't think was particularly good was the one with the "recreation" of the girls dead boyfriend. Or at least, I didnt like it past the halfway mark.
White Bear was as good as said, though, and I really enjoyed "The Entire History of You"

Now I am back to catching up on Season 5 of Misfits. With BBC's Extras lined up after. Watching The Office UK got me in the mood for some more Gervais.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

After Utopia, Misfits, and Black Mirror I'm convinced Channel 4 is the best thing from Britain.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Chuck is a really fun watch. I'm amazed at how much licensed music they are using, plus by season 3 Subway sandwiches and stores are in almost every episode.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I really only watch it for the sandwiches.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Just finished the Vampire Diaries season 4 and really enjoyed it despite the disappointment that was Silas until the last scene.

So happy that Damon finally got the girl :D and couldn't really care less about Stefan

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pentyne posted:

Chuck is a really fun watch. I'm amazed at how much licensed music they are using, plus by season 3 Subway sandwiches and stores are in almost every episode.

I think Chuck is fantastic, one of the most fun shows I've ever watched.

My original username here used to be Chuck Bartowski, I liked it so much.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Orange is the New Black is my latest binge-through. Given that it's kind of their business model (with Netflix releasing all the episodes at once) the pacing of the show made it very easy to get hooked. Incredibly strong first Season, although with a someone abrupt ending, it's just as good as everyone says.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
I just recently binged through Battlestar Galactica (the Ronald D. Moore version). For whatever reason, I passed on it back when it originally aired. Then, last week I was browsing around Hulu and figured "what the hell" and thought I'd check out an episode or two...and ended up marathoning all four seasons. :v: It was just some really drat good TV that I enjoyed immensely.

Unfortunately Hulu didn't have the miniseries available, so although there were a few plot/character threads that I didn't quite get right away, I still didn't feel too left out while watching the show. And I figure it gives me something to look forward to watching later on down the road, when it comes time to do a re-watch. :)

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Mu Zeta posted:

After Utopia, Misfits, and Black Mirror I'm convinced Channel 4 is the best thing from Britain.
Nice, that one seems to have slipped my check it out-radar.
Currently mid episode 3 on Black Mirror. (I take the bus to work). I really like it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just started on the Doctor Who reboot, but it hasn't quite grabbed me 5 episodes in. How long should I stick it out for things to start getting good? I realize that this first season was pretty low-budget, but there are some flashes of the overarching time war stuff that moderately pique my interest. When does the more serial stuff start, or is it just sprinkled throughout in nuggets?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's generally sprinkled throughout, with some mini-arc episodes put in. That said, the first season is by far the weakest. I'd say skip to the beginning of the David Tennant or Matt Smith seasons and then if you want to go back later you can. You don't really miss anything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

devmd01 posted:

Just started on the Doctor Who reboot, but it hasn't quite grabbed me 5 episodes in. How long should I stick it out for things to start getting good? I realize that this first season was pretty low-budget, but there are some flashes of the overarching time war stuff that moderately pique my interest. When does the more serial stuff start, or is it just sprinkled throughout in nuggets?

In the first season look in the background and its there. The second season is also by far the weakest and has the two worst episodes of the reboot in a row.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

devmd01 posted:

the sixth episode is called "Dalek". I would watch that one.

e: At the very least make it through episode 10 (the two parter "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances").

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

devmd01 posted:

Things don't consistently get better until Season 5. The first four seasons just look and feel bad by a lot of people's standards. Like, you have to find some of the production design's corniness kind of endearing to have any chance of putting up with it. And a lot of the writing is just plain bad, with brilliance sprinkled throughout.

If you ask in the Doctor Who thread you can get a list of must watch episodes up until Matt Smith's run, which honestly is a huge improvement in writing and production design because the whole team switched over. (Tennant was a fantastic doctor in a whole bunch of epsidoes with often very poor and silly writing.) And Season 5 is really good, probably the best overall of any of New-Who.

That said, my mini list of Eccleston and Tennant right now would be something like:

- "Dalek"
- "The Empty Child" / "The Doctor Dances"
- "The Girl in the Fireplace"
- "Human Nature" / "The Family of Blood"
- "Blink"
- "Utopia"
- "The Fires of Pompeii"
- "The Unicorn and the Wasp"
- "Silence in the Library" / "Forest of the Dead"

Just watch those, then start with Season 5 / Matt Smith, and you'll get the best of Tennant and know everything you need for Matt Smith's run. There are some other episodes that develop really interesting arcs (e.g. one of the companions, Donna's) in what are otherwise not very good episodes. You might go back and watch those afterwards.

edit: man, that's 12 episodes. That'd be like one condensed, perfect season of pre-Matt Smith Doctor Who.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 16, 2013

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Screw that. If I have to watch the concrete blowjob episode, then everyone has to watch the concrete blowjob episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hcreight posted:

Screw that. If I have to watch the concrete blowjob episode, then everyone has to watch the concrete blowjob episode.

concrete blowjob episode>Fear Her