Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I started re-reading IT thanks to this thread. Good work, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The Berzerker posted:

:dance:
Class. When did you last read it?

Oh yeah, did anyone see this back in September?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 10, 2013

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

So did I. And it was one of the first King books I can remember reading. It's been about 20 years or more so I know the story but the words are like fresh food.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

WattsvilleBlues posted:

:dance:
Class. When did you last read it?

Not sure. I first read it when I was 12, and I think I've re-read it twice since then. The last time was probably in my early twenties, maybe 7 years ago? I have watched the TV movie a few times since then, which is great because I'm going through the book thinking "Oh right, they totally did that wrong in the movie" every few pages.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've read a bunch of King, but always kept IT for a special occasion. I think I might start now.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Taeke posted:

I've read a bunch of King, but always kept IT for a special occasion. I think I might start now.

That's about 3 goons that have picked up It based on our discussions. It's like a book club. I feel so middle class.

Who would do such a thing? It's one way to solve the obesity epidemic.

So I've been reading Misery. I'm about half way through and to me, most of the story of the movie has been told so far. It'll be interesting to see what they left out. I know Misery is one of King's shorter novels, but is it stretched out in the second half or does it maintain the pace?

I'm having a hard time reading the Misery Chastain novels. I mean visually - they haven't translated well to the Kindle edition.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm about half way through and to me, most of the story of the movie has been told so far. It'll be interesting to see what they left out. I know Misery is one of King's shorter novels, but is it stretched out in the second half or does it maintain the pace?

If I remember correctly, it'll take a right turn into new territory near the last third.

The pace gets a little accelerated once the stakes get a little higher. You'll understand when you get there.

(If I'm wrong, I'm sorry. I read the book seven years ago.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That's about 3 goons that have picked up It based on our discussions. It's like a book club. I feel so middle class.

Who would do such a thing? It's one way to solve the obesity epidemic.

So I've been reading Misery. I'm about half way through and to me, most of the story of the movie has been told so far. It'll be interesting to see what they left out. I know Misery is one of King's shorter novels, but is it stretched out in the second half or does it maintain the pace?

I'm having a hard time reading the Misery Chastain novels. I mean visually - they haven't translated well to the Kindle edition.

The hobbling is different

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Count me in as goon number four, doing the audiobook edition for the first time.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
What did you guys think of Desperation? I just started it, only a few pages in really. Not sure what to think yet. I saw bits of the movie.. (I think) a long time ago. People in a small town prison is all I remember.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

rypakal posted:

Count me in as goon number four, doing the audiobook edition for the first time.

I'll be five as soon as I finish my current book. I have some sort of weird compulsion to not read more than one book at a time.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Pendergast posted:

What did you guys think of Desperation? I just started it, only a few pages in really. Not sure what to think yet. I saw bits of the movie.. (I think) a long time ago. People in a small town prison is all I remember.

I liked Desperation a great deal -- much more than the Regulators. Then again, the whole religious aspect of it intrigued me.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
People in this thread are VERY divided about Desperation, and its sister (Richard Bachmann) novel, The Regulators.

I think I have noticed that people prefer whichever version of the story they read first.

This has been discussed rather recently, so I am reticent to rehash my old opinions, but what the heck:

Desperation is the one I read first, and it captured me from the first chapter with the weird "I'm gonna kill you" traffic stop in the desert. Where it went from there was basically as far down and dirty, in my opinion, as Itsville. That is why I like it so much.
Also, when you finish it, tell me if you were as moved as I was when at the end the author stops the religious kid from sacrificing himself on a quest he might not be able to finish, all because the rest of his family has been brutally slaughtered by this point. The author, Johnny, acknowledges David's belief in God but warns him, "That's the thing about God. He's an rear end in a top hat. Sometimes, he makes you live."
Coming from a fallen writer hero like Marinville, this rings true and makes sense and every time it gets me right here.

The other book is fun like a crazy episode of The Twilight Zone. I don't want to say any more. For every person who agrees with me, someone else will say I have it backwards.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always wanted a "Derry Highschool Killing Team" Letterman's jacket.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I've been looking into custom printing some helium balloons that say "I love Derry" for next Halloween, or maybe to just tie to a random piece of playground equipment.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Pendergast posted:

Let me start off by saying I do like Desperation. But it is sort of stuffed full of King tropes and never returns to the pure terror phase past the opening sequence. I think writing directly about Literal God requires deftness, and this is much less skilled than The Stand. Still, I don't think it ever lost my interest. I learned so much about mining history.

It's also really clear that the book was probably germinated around the initial RV scene. I could see that popping into his brain wholesale. For my money it's one of his best quick openings [books where the poo poo hits the fan very quickly]

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rypakal posted:

Let me start off by saying I do like Desperation. But it is sort of stuffed full of King tropes and never returns to the pure terror phase past the opening sequence. I think writing directly about Literal God requires deftness, and this is much less skilled than The Stand. Still, I don't think it ever lost my interest. I learned so much about mining history.

It's also really clear that the book was probably germinated around the initial RV scene. I could see that popping into his brain wholesale. For my money it's one of his best quick openings [books where the poo poo hits the fan very quickly]

Yeah, I'm thirding this opinion. That's a fantastic opening scene, and he keeps the tension up throughout the early scenes in the jail, but it looses steam soon after. Personally, I think the "child as agent of god" thing was handled a little clumsily, especially the sharing crackers in the theater as a parallel of the loaves and fishes miracle - that was a little on the nose. Though I did like the scene where the author's trapped in the car with the woman, and he imagines laying down in the road with her and loving with the figurine held in their mouths while wolves and snakes prowl around them. That was...vivid (it's also the best sex scene he's ever written :v:). Basically, it's far from his best, and doesn't work, for me, as a whole, but there are enough entertaining vignettes in there to make it worth reading over a boring weekend.

Now, the Regulators was just gloriously bonkers. For me, it was like reading the standard "small town torn apart" King novel, except you're tripping on cough syrup and Saturday morning TV is blaring at full volume in the background. I don't know that it's a "good" book, but it's a fun one.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 12, 2013

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Oh, and when I say The Stand handled god more deftly, I don't mean that as praise for the Stand.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

rypakal posted:

If it's the version read by Steven Weber, it is the best audiobook narration I've ever heard.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
This read finally got me to start reading 'Salem's Lot, though I haven't read much recently due to other projects eating into my time.

Both IT and The Stand are on my shortlist to revisit in 2014. It's been a couple of years since I read either so I'm looking forward to that.

Regarding the Desperation / The Regulators talk, I read the latter before knowing it was a King book, read the former about a decade ago and haven't touched either since. Neither of those books stuck in my memory as anything worth revisiting.

Now The Running Man, there is a book I'd love to find another copy of; I lost mine when I moved four years ago and I can find nearly every other Bachman book except that one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I want to say that credit for this should go 100% to me for including neaderthals in my post about IT and starting a page long derail about it. My finest work(I have accomplished very little in life).

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

joepinetree posted:

If it's the version read by Steven Weber, it is the best audiobook narration I've ever heard.

It's not the best, but he does a pretty good job at conveying emotion, which is more than half the battle. Very good so far. He could do with a little more variation on voices, but it's not the hardest hurdle to get over.

I had forgotten how terrifying the opening about Georgie is, and how well done the six phone calls are.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Count me in for reading It for the first time after I finish Doctor Sleep.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

If I remember correctly, it'll take a right turn into new territory near the last third.

The pace gets a little accelerated once the stakes get a little higher. You'll understand when you get there.

(If I'm wrong, I'm sorry. I read the book seven years ago.)

bobkatt013 posted:

The hobbling is different

Well, my Kindle lied to me, turns out I was about 90% of the way through. Good book, well paced, gruesome in places obviously. I saw the movie back in the early 90s and loved it. Hard to get the images of Bates and Cann out of my head when imagining the characters.

It hit deep, how much desperation King was able to put into Paul. He was a much more (literally and figuratively) broken man in the novel than in the film by the end of it. There times when Paul was in hysterical panic when he was Annie was in one of her moods or when he was bleating out DON'T CUT OFF ANY MORE OF ME and so on... that really got to me. That got to me more than the hobbling.

Annie, too, was nicely done, fading out into her little dream world, sometimes when she was doing something horrendous, sometimes just having a conversation. I liked how near the end Paul just continues eating his soup as she stands there, spaced out, and waits for her to snap out of it.

Not a bad book to recommend to first timers I think.

Big Bob Pataki posted:

Count me in for reading It for the first time after I finish Doctor Sleep.

There are going to be seven :stare:

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 12, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Well, my Kindle lied to me, turns out I was about 90% of the way through. Good book, well paced, gruesome in places obviously. I saw the movie back in the early 90s and loved it. Hard to get the images of Bates and Cann out of my head when imagining the characters.

It hit deep, how much desperation King was able to put into Paul. He was a much more (literally and figuratively) broken man in the novel than in the film by the end of it. There times when Paul was in hysterical panic when he was Annie was in one of her moods or when he was bleating out DON'T CUT OFF ANY MORE OF ME and so on... that really got to me. That got to me more than the hobbling.

Annie, too, was nicely done, fading out into her little dream world, sometimes when she was doing something horrendous, sometimes just having a conversation. I liked how near the end Paul just continues eating his soup as she stands there, spaced out, and waits for her to snap out of it.

Not a bad book to recommend to first timers I think.

There are going to be seven :stare:

Make it 8. I have been listening/rereading IT but had to take a break due to finals. Next week I can get back in and I am almost at the rock fight.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

bobkatt013 posted:

Make it 8. I have been listening/rereading IT but had to take a break due to finals. Next week I can get back in and I am almost at the rock fight.

Eh, my exam's due in a week. Make it 9 reading. I need a break from Dark Tower anyway, and IT is a classic I've only read about 2-3 times, and not at all in the last 4 years or so.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I think we're all hearing the song of the Turtle or something. I put the thing on my e-reader and everything. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start this soon.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rypakal posted:

It's not the best, but he does a pretty good job at conveying emotion, which is more than half the battle. Very good so far. He could do with a little more variation on voices, but it's not the hardest hurdle to get over.

I had forgotten how terrifying the opening about Georgie is, and how well done the six phone calls are.

Which is the Stephen Weber one? I'm currently listening to the 2010, unabridged version (iTunes says it's 1.8 days long.) I can't even remember if the the It I read when I was a kid was unabridged, although I know I read the long version of The Stand right before the TV movie came out.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I'll give It another shot, since I haven't read it in about twenty years. I'm thirty-two, now, and I read it when I was twelve. I remember really getting down with the child parts, but not really understanding why adults did the things they did (eg, Beverly willing to be in an abusive relationship, or Richie laughing off his own failed relationship with that woman who told him he was a poo poo). It was a book I admired as a kid but I didn't much like--there was a lot that made me feel really weird*--and I kind of want to see how I feel about the things King wrote now that I've got some mileage.

*and I'm not counting the sewer sex here; I mean things like Patrick Hocksetter. But more important it seemed painful, and more than a little sad, that people like Stan's wife lived their lives according to Family Feud, or that people a hundred years ago were happy to gently caress a lumber-town whore who laid in a bed soaked in semen. There's a history to the book--to Derry--that's R-rated, and It feels like an expose'.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I haven't read It, either, so I'll jump in and read if we're gonna make a project of it. I did look to pick it up in a local used bookstore since I don't really have the cash to buy it new, but they didn't have it. Didn't have The Shining, either, which I was wanting to read again since I haven't read it in 10 years. :sigh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Venusian Weasel posted:

I haven't read It, either, so I'll jump in and read if we're gonna make a project of it. I did look to pick it up in a local used bookstore since I don't really have the cash to buy it new, but they didn't have it. Didn't have The Shining, either, which I was wanting to read again since I haven't read it in 10 years. :sigh:

If you have a device that can play them you can get a free audiobook from Audible.com.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
All this talk about It has me considering rereading it for the first time in about 20 years. It used to be one of my favorites, which I read every year or two.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yay people are reading IT

we all FLOAT down here

oldpainless fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 13, 2013

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well, so far the list for reading IT (in the very near future) goes something like this:

Venusian Weasel
3Romeo
syscall girl
FreezingInferno
Aquarium Gravel
bobkatt013
Big Bob Pataki
Shadowed Flames
(maybe)
Soysaucebeast
rypakal
Taeke
The Berzerker
Dr. Goonstein
Murphys Law
(maybe)
and myself (after I finish these last pages of Dr. Sleep)

There's (possibly) 15 of us, counting myself. I've never read IT before. I tried to when I was 12 but it was too daunting for my adolescent mind.

Venusian Weasel posted:

The Shining has been on sale in Amazon for a good while now, at least since Dr. Sleep came out. It's $4 on kindle.

IT is such a common book, you should be able to find a copy at a flea market or Goodwill for, like, a dollar. Most libraries should have a copy. I feel like it was his best selling book in the 90's because of the miniseries.

My mom has never read a single King novel, and she owned a copy of IT. She let me watch the mini-series when I was six or seven (which obviously did some damage), and I guess she thought she'd buy the book, but never got around to actually reading it.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Well, so far the list for reading IT (in the very near future) goes something like this:

Venusian Weasel
3Romeo
syscall girl
FreezingInferno
Aquarium Gravel
bobkatt013
Big Bob Pataki
Shadowed Flames
(maybe)
Soysaucebeast
rypakal
Taeke
The Berzerker
Dr. Goonstein
Murphys Law
(maybe)

Me too.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
I have two books I would like to finish by the end of December, but come January I'm onboard to also join in for IT. I've read a lot of King but just recently started knocking off some of the larger classics I had never read. Read The Stand earlier this year and feel now would be a great time for IT.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The newest list for reading IT (in the very near future) goes something like this:

Venusian Weasel
3Romeo
syscall girl
FreezingInferno
Aquarium Gravel
bobkatt013
Big Bob Pataki
Shadowed Flames
(maybe)
Soysaucebeast
rypakal
Taeke
The Berzerker
Dr. Goonstein
Joose Caboose
kenny powerzzz
Murphys Law
(maybe)

And so far we have 17.

Come on guys, let's just get two more. (You know you want to.)

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

There will be water if ka wills it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

And so far we have 17.

Childe Pennywise to the Dark Tower Floated.