Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Cutting into scifi-chat, can I mention how much I like that the 6'2" guy in scale armor is a rogue? Because I think that's the best. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Drifter posted:

Hell no. A more complex FTL-esque type of combat, maybe.

Unless you're Zakalwe, combat time is measured in microseconds or less. :colbert:

Judas Iscaredycat
Mar 14, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

I'm excited about this, because you're going to be able to make your own character. I've heard such great things about the Witcher games, and it's a dumb reason not to have played a game, but I really struggle getting into the Witcher because you're provided with a pre-made character, and I'm really big on making my own guy. It's on my extended list to try again.

I'm the same way. I actually really like spending an hour or more just in the character creation phase. Another thing about the Witcher series specifically is that not only is the character not your creation, he's also an established character with an established personality outside the games, so there's another level of disconnect between the player and character. That's not a bad thing, it's just something I have trouble getting past. I'm really glad to hear that you make your own character in Cyberpunk.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Dark One posted:

Unless you're Zakalwe, combat time is measured in microseconds or less. :colbert:

That's still not enough time for a "press 'Q' to fire weapons" QTE. Your logic is as flawed as a Chelgrian with only four legs.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

rope kid posted:

Close. All characters who are not moving and have melee weapons equipped project a small Melee Engagement radius around them. If an enemy enters that radius, they are instantly Engaged and stop moving. They can start moving again immediately, but they will be subject to a free Disengagement Attack. Disengagement Attacks hit hard and call a long hit reaction, so if you just try to walk away from someone, it can be costly.

Most characters can only engage one enemy at a time. If they don't have a target, it's the first enemy who enters the radius. If they do have a target, it's them. For fighters in Defender mode, it's the first three, one of which is typically someone they are attacking.
Give Fighters some kind of "Im dangerous pay attention to me" ability against other people/creatures (like other Fighters) that have multiple engagements.

The aggressing Fighter gives up their ability to engage multiple entities, and instead "occupies" three engagements belonging to the target (because they are just too dangerous to risk fighting without using your full attention.).

This would add a lot of war-expertise style flexibility for the Fighter if it didnt imbalance anything else. It would allow a Fighter to over-engage and occupy an enemy fighter so that the Rogue/Wizard/Paladin would be free to move past the enemy fighter and backstab/cast/open-door or whatever during the engagement.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
^^ They did though? ^^

coffeetable posted:

Bethesda has a scorched-earth approach to negative reviews of it's games.

If this is the case how has SA not been blacklisted?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Basic Chunnel posted:

A better question is why anyone would read or post in the RPG Codex

I dunno about post but reading all the :spergin: is hugely entertaining.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FRINGE posted:

Give Fighters some kind of "Im dangerous pay attention to me" ability against other people/creatures (like other Fighters) that have multiple engagements.

The aggressing Fighter gives up their ability to engage multiple entities, and instead "occupies" three engagements belonging to the target (because they are just too dangerous to risk fighting without using your full attention.).

This would add a lot of war-expertise style flexibility for the Fighter if it didnt imbalance anything else. It would allow a Fighter to over-engage and occupy an enemy fighter so that the Rogue/Wizard/Paladin would be free to move past the enemy fighter and backstab/cast/open-door or whatever during the engagement.

I think you're confused. His ability to engage multiple entities already occupies said targets that's the whole point. The Fighter is sticky and hard to get away from.

Nothing indicates an enemy fighter would be any less subject to these rules.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think you're confused. His ability to engage multiple entities already occupies said targets that's the whole point. The Fighter is sticky and hard to get away from.

No, I think that's assumed. He's arguing that fighters should also be able to make other fighters less sticky, by preventing them from engaging the fighters allies.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
An interesting idea, but wouldn't that make everything into "send fighter at the other fighter" and both abilities essentially nullify each other? You'd always want to match up the fighters with each other, then, which I don't think helps with making gameplay strategy a little more varied. Rather than giving it to fighters, I'd rather give it to monsters like a tentacle-beast or something.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

What I don't want to do is force characters to attack or drop attack against someone else. Our system is symmetrical for classed/leveled characters, so that would mean party members could be affected by it, too. For core class abilities, I don't think that feels right for this sort of game (Charm/Domination are a different beast).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CaptainPsyko posted:

No, I think that's assumed. He's arguing that fighters should also be able to make other fighters less sticky, by preventing them from engaging the fighters allies.

You already have a way to do that. It's called engaging the enemy fighter. The opportunity cost is possibly failing to engage more threatening targets. There is a price to be paid for preserving mobility.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravenfood posted:

Cutting into scifi-chat, can I mention how much I like that the 6'2" guy in scale armor is a rogue? Because I think that's the best. :allears:

Seriously, the Eder-as-skirmisher talk was awesome. Want to make a rogue and pal around being smug with him.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I kinda like that idea, but instead of a toggle I could see it as a limited per battle type thing. Like a barrage of furious blows that demand full attention so they lose one or more engagement targets. It could last a few seconds and give you enough time to move a rogue or something in, but not an entire party.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

This is what I meant.

I thought it might be a learnable skill/ability for a "veteran" Fighter, but RK just said it doesnt fit and I am willing to accept his word. :)

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Are fighters going to be a useful source of damage, or is their main job to grab hold of the other guy's shirt until the rogue gets around to whacking him?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

rope kid posted:

Probably a bit, mostly for companions rather than wilderness environments. Additional content does take additional time to make, but not dramatically, not at the scale we're thinking about.

E: Personally, I think more wilderness areas would feel really cool and I believe players would enjoy them. I also would like for players to have every character class represented by a companion. Right now we're 3 short. We don't want to go buckwild on this stuff, but we do think it would feel better with those additions. If we thought it would fundamentally make the game worse, we wouldn't even be asking.

If the creative team feel like they have solid ideas for characters in the classes not currently represented, and adding them in wouldn't dramatically increase development time (waiting another calendar year for this game is gonna almost kill me as is), more companions would be the number one thing that would appeal to me in terms of putting more money down. Having a greater cast of characters to interact with adds a ton to the replayability of the game to me, I don't anticipate using the Adventurer's Hall at all because having characters in my party with no scripted input on the events that are happening feels like such a waste of what appeals to me about Obsidian's games in the first place. If Pillars has as much class flexibility as you guys have been indicating from the gameplay updates to this point, it's not even a matter of having more party composition options (although that is a plus), I just want more rad people to roll with.

I already backed at a pretty high tier though so I dunno what I'd add on to help reach the new goals. Maybe I'd get an Obsidian t-shirt to go with the Pillars shirt I'm already getting.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I am already assuming it will take me a year to play this game around life and work, so more wilderness please. :colbert:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

The Crotch posted:

Seriously, the Eder-as-skirmisher talk was awesome. Want to make a rogue and pal around being smug with him.

A smug blonde warrior makes me think of Dragon Age's Alistair and fills me with dread, but then I remember Obsidian took Carth Onasi and turned him into Atton Rand, and I breathe a sigh of relief.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Delta Green.

This is not getting enough love.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If the map is made up of instances, how much freedom is there to move around the map? Say I walk out of Twin Elms and then I'm on the instance 'road between Twin Elms and Solace Vale' and then on the other side of that I enter Solace Vale.

But could you go west from Twin Elms into that no man's land of forest? Or is that just a big bit of forest you have to go around?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Wolfsheim posted:

A smug blonde warrior makes me think of Dragon Age's Alistair and fills me with dread, but then I remember Obsidian took Carth Onasi and turned him into Atton Rand, and I breathe a sigh of relief.

They also overtly mocked Carth's character via HK47 :mmmhmm:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fintilgin posted:

I hope the new kickstarter is something wild and crazy setting wise. Like an RPG where you're a private eye in the 1930s investigating supernatural stuff, or an RPG where you're a Soviet/American astronaut who crashlands on a HG Wells/Barsoom/Bradbury style Mars in the 1980s.

I would very much enjoy a prohibition era RPG with tommyguns and pinstripe suits and stuff, it would be dope.

Also acceptable: wild west RPG.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If Obsidian is required by divine (or infernal) contract to go with a fantasy setting I would like to officially request a Malazan RPG, thanks in advance.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

2house2fly posted:

They also overtly mocked Carth's character Star Wars Everything via HK47 :mmmhmm:

Fixed that for you.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

If Obsidian is required by divine (or infernal) contract to go with a fantasy setting I would like to officially request a Malazan RPG, thanks in advance.

Just take my whole bank account.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Oh Obsidian

quote:

Hi Darkhold,

We see that you need some assistance with your pledge for Pillars of Eternity, and we want to make sure that we have everything correct on our side. We have you marked as a $5 pledge, but from your pledge amount it looks like you should be at the $5000 pledge level for your DELIVERENCE INN. Does this look correct to you?

Please reply to this email, and then we will make the adjustments to your account. We will then contact you again when everything is in order.

Thank you for your donation,
Sure I'd love to get the $5,000 tier reward.

Edit: Just for clarity I do have a $77 donation showing correctly. It's just this mystery $5 I'm trying to get cleared up.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 12, 2013

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

That's not how you spell deliverance...

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

NmareBfly posted:

...dear God...:aaaaa:

I would say the only thing I want more is a Dragaera RPG, but I don't know if I could handle the same five or six Mary Sues showing up and effortlessly solving every conflict I stumble across.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

2house2fly posted:

They also overtly mocked Carth's character via HK47 :mmmhmm:

I adore kotor 2 HK. They took the comic relief, made him much funnier because he wasn't one note, and delivered a ton of incisive commentary. It's phenomenal work.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Chairchucker posted:

I would very much enjoy a prohibition era RPG with tommyguns and pinstripe suits and stuff, it would be dope.

F:NV is the wild west RPG!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

Fantasy is boring. Do sci-fi in The Culture setting.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Delta Green.

At the Mountains of Madness + The Thing + Operation Highjump + Antarctic Nazis.

Add some Russian spies for good measure.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Since we have Hel's Gate Citadel are you doing actual Norse gods or is it one of those ~~cosmic coincidence~~ things

if it's just because the word Hell comes from it, I vote you also use Odin's day instead of wednesday ingame :black101:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ihmemies posted:

Fantasy is boring. Do sci-fi in The Culture setting.

The thing about Malazan is that you could start out low-fantasy and then jump forward in time 450 000 years to where you are a part of the Culture, or at least Sublime.

But hell, if they pulled a Betrayal of Krondor and just tried to faithfully-ish adapt the books (lol, all of them) then it'd be amazing anyway. I love the Malazan books so much, even if the author gets a bit lost over the last two. :ohdear:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

F:NV is the wild west RPG!
On similar lines, if Obsidian is willing to work with Bethesda again (and vice-versa) I'd love to see their take on TES and all its hosed-up lore.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I like how the map isn't an entire continent or whole landmass. It gives me the impression there is MUCH more to the world.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Drifter posted:

But hell, if they pulled a Betrayal of Krondor and just tried to faithfully-ish adapt the books

Krondor: The Betrayal was actually written by Feist as a novelization of the video game. :eng101:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

[url=http://games.adultswim.com/westerado-action-online-game.html[/url]Westerado[/url] is actually really good.

Fintilgin posted:

I like the concept of a time travel RPG, but that concept art reminded me of how bored I am of all future architecture being made of steel and exposed machinery. You've got matter extruders and fancy sci-fi stuff, why not make the places you live look pleasant and inviting? Why does everything have to be exposed conduits and metal deck plating? (It's so you know it's the ~future~ :ssh: )

Yeah, that art was generic to the point of being genuinely bad. I really liked the idea of putting AIs with personalities in your head as a way of giving you companions in a Skyrim-style running-around-on-your-own RPG. (Mostly because I've thought of it on my own way before they talked about the game.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Dark One posted:

Krondor: The Betrayal was actually written by Feist as a novelization of the video game. :eng101:

No poo poo? That's pretty cool I really enjoyed all those books when I was younger. I really also liked the ones where they took place in not-japan. It was a really nice change of pace from the standard fantasy Kings and Castles.

• Locked thread