Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Thauros posted:

Have there been any in ring deaths over the last 30 years for major promotions besides Misawa and Oro? What about indies?
Gary Albright died in the ring at an indie show right after leaving AJPW. Moondog Spot died at Jerry Lawler's birthday show in Memphis in 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Owen died in the ring too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Are we counting Miss Elizabeth as a "wrestler"?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

LividLiquid posted:

I used to hear movie critics use terms like that when talking about third acts. Whoever suggested it to him on Twitter probably read it somewhere and thought it sounded cool.

At least it's not the edge-of-your-seat, nonstop thrill ride.

Feel-Good Move of the Summer

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Gavok posted:

Miz came up with the move first and then farmed out what to call it via Twitter. His only rule was that it couldn't have his name in it (ie. "the Mizaster"). That's apparently the best answer he saw.

He wanted to pick The BFF (Best Fuckin' Finisher), but he wasn't allowed to. I don't know why I remember that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red posted:

She regularly jobbed to Randy Savage.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Karma Tornado posted:

He wanted to pick The BFF (Best Fuckin' Finisher), but he wasn't allowed to. I don't know why I remember that.

Plus, you could spin it PG friendly too "Best Friends Forever, your face and the mat" or something.

Which reminds me... so Cena's finisher goes from the F-U to the AA (Attitude Adjustment), which is fine, since the original reason behind the name (feud with Lesnar who has the f-5 as his finisher name) is years old, and it's a little more family friendly.

So, uh... why KEEP the name "Five Knuckle Shuffle"?

eta: Then again I do love kinda meta finisher names, like Brian Kendrick's "Sliced Bread" and Icarus' "Blu-Ray".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

She regularly jobbed to Randy Savage.

Pfft, who'd he ever beat?

(I'm so sorry)

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

SirDippingSauce posted:

Plus, you could spin it PG friendly too "Best Friends Forever, your face and the mat" or something.

Which reminds me... so Cena's finisher goes from the F-U to the AA (Attitude Adjustment), which is fine, since the original reason behind the name (feud with Lesnar who has the f-5 as his finisher name) is years old, and it's a little more family friendly.

So, uh... why KEEP the name "Five Knuckle Shuffle"?

eta: Then again I do love kinda meta finisher names, like Brian Kendrick's "Sliced Bread" and Icarus' "Blu-Ray".

Sliced Bread #2, which is part of the joke.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

SirDippingSauce posted:

I think on NXT Sasha Banks and Summer Rae are now calling themselves "The BFFs", but it stands "Bold Fierce Fabulous" or something along those lines.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Perry Normal posted:

I think on NXT Sasha Banks and Summer Rae are now calling themselves "The BFFs", but it stands "Bold Fierce Fabulous" or something along those lines.

"Beautiful Fierce Females". Awesome heel group.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!

Thauros posted:

Have there been any in ring deaths over the last 30 years for major promotions besides Misawa and Oro? What about indies?

Plum Mariko died in 1997 after taking a ligerbomb. Apparently she was the first person to die due to in-ring injuries in Japan. She was wrestling for JWP Joshi Puroresu.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Domalom posted:

Plum Mariko died in 1997 after taking a ligerbomb. Apparently she was the first person to die due to in-ring injuries in Japan. She was wrestling for JWP Joshi Puroresu.

It depends on what "in-ring" means because at least one student was killed while training at the NJPW dojo prior to that.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
I think it meant an actual wrestling match.

Looking around theres Emiko Kado who died in 1999 after a blow to the head about 2 months into her career.

Misawa, Plum Mariko, Kado, Oro and Daniel Quirk all seem to have died from injuries sustained in the ring during matches. More died of heart attacks in the ring.

Chris Candido too I suppose?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Red posted:

I'm excluding non-wrestling performers, such as referees, managers, valets, announcers, and commentators, unless they spent a meaningful portion of their career as a wrestler. Same for promoters and bookers. So Sherri Martel and Gorilla Monsoon are in, but Nancy Benoit and The Grand Wizard are not.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm excluding non-wrestling performers, such as referees, managers, valets, announcers, and commentators, unless they spent a meaningful portion of their career as a wrestler. Same for promoters and bookers. So Sherri Martel and Gorilla Monsoon are in, but Nancy Benoit and The Grand Wizard are not.

Your methodology is sound, as it also disqualifies Fifi Dupree.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Karma Tornado posted:

I'd like to think they didn't care about the cursing and just refused to let him call that piece of poo poo the best anything.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

This was asked in the picture thread. I'm currently in the process of making a spreadsheet of every notable deceased wrestler I can find with their birth year, death year, age, and cause of death. It currently stands at 167 corpses and will go on until I run out of notable wrestlers or get sick of the whole idea.

Thus far, it looks like before the television era, wrestlers were much like other people. (I'm sure that wrestlers as a demographic would have differences from the general population, but it's not like I'm going to study demographic data in several countries over the past century.) Most of them lived to be senior citizens and died of age-related illnesses, with some dying younger from chronic illnesses and the odd death from accidents or violence. In the television era you start to see people dying of drug overdoses or heart attacks before they reach the age of 60, and it got much worse in the boom era.

One thing that really surprised me is how few wrestlers have died in automobile accidents. So far it's just Jerry Blackwell, JYD, and Adrian Adonis. I've found one record of a guy dying in a plane crash--a private plane he was flying.

Hey if you're not planning on using this for anything else a friend of mine is a statistician guy and would be interested in running the numbers.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

triplexpac posted:

Is there a story behind the name "Skull Crushing Finale"? It always sounds so awkward

I'm pretty sure he was taking suggestions for a finisher name on Twitter? It sounds too dumb to be true, but I think he may actually have asked his Twitter followers to name his new finisher before they'd actually seen the move, and Skull Crushing Finale was the only suggestion that tied in with the visual image of the move he had in mind?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tyma posted:

I'm pretty sure he was taking suggestions for a finisher name on Twitter? It sounds too dumb to be true, but I think he may actually have asked his Twitter followers to name his new finisher before they'd actually seen the move, and Skull Crushing Finale was the only suggestion that tied in with the visual image of the move he had in mind?

Maybe he just said "Remember Jericho's facebuster legsweep thing? It's that. That exact move."

Man, that move is so cool on paper, but loving blows out loud in real life.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

rotinaj posted:

Man, that move is so cool on paper, but loving blows out loud in real life.

That's a pretty apt description of The Miz if you get rid of the first half of the sentence.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Karma Tornado posted:

Yet John Cena still has his submission finisher the Shut the gently caress.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

that reminds me: when did the FU become the Attitude Adjustment? I mean I know it was changed in the shift from TV-14 to TV-PG, but was it like, immediate? did they acknowledge it at all or was it one day just called the Attitude Adjustment and that's it?

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Cardboard Box posted:

that reminds me: when did the FU become the Attitude Adjustment? I mean I know it was changed in the shift from TV-14 to TV-PG, but was it like, immediate? did they acknowledge it at all or was it one day just called the Attitude Adjustment and that's it?

for a time they just called it John Cena's signature move after his Survivor Series 08 return i think before they started using the AA name.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Cardboard Box posted:

I remember an article about it on wwe.com. Cena said something along the lines of "that's what everyone calls it but to me it's always been the AA".

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MisterGBH posted:

I remember an article about it on wwe.com. Cena said something along the lines of "that's what everyone calls it but to me it's always been the AA".

I didn't even know what an "Attitude Adjustment" meant until I looked it up at the time. It just comes across as demeaning to his opponents.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 12, 2013

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Thank you, lonely looking clerk at my local comic book shop for trying to sell me on this comic the entire time I was in the store. Without you, I would never have gotten this reference.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

WadeBartender posted:

for a time they just called it John Cena's signature move after his Survivor Series 08 return i think before they started using the AA name.

A long time; they didn't know what to call it so it was just met with a mix of silence and generic "OH MY" reactions from the announcers. It was funny.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Perry Normal posted:

Thank you, lonely looking clerk at my local comic book shop for trying to sell me on this comic the entire time I was in the store. Without you, I would never have gotten this reference.
I just learned of it last week through Comixology and the BSS forum. :)

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 12, 2013

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
A poster here actually thought it was called "the Victory" bc Cole kept saying "he's going for the victory."

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Perigryn posted:

I just learned of it last week through Comixology and the BBS forum. :)

Saga's discounted on Amazon right now, everyone go buy it along Mick Foley's new comic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

epitasis posted:

Hey if you're not planning on using this for anything else a friend of mine is a statistician guy and would be interested in running the numbers.
I'd be glad to have it looked over by the kind of person who actually has the patience to deal with SPSS.

Actually, if he wants to talk methods have him contact me at DJJackBalfour at gmail dot com. Currently I'm wrestling with notability guidelines. After including everyone from deadwrestlers.net (which is a surprisingly good list of everyone semi-famous who's died since 1990) and all posthumous inductees to the WON and NWA halls of fame, I'm going off of Gary Will's gargantuan list of deceased wrestlers. I currently have 258 prograps corpses on my list, and Gary's list has 133 entries for the letter B.

Most of those guys, however, are only known by entries on lists of deceased wrestlers, and an article on a site like wrestlingdata.net or cagematch.net which establishes that they wrestled on a handful of cards in a single territory. I'm not including those people; I specifically want to exclude people who only had a brief, part-time career in a single promotion or region. I'm also excluding pioneer-era folkstyle wrestlers who are known to have wrestled, for example, Georg Hackenschmidt, because I can't verify if they ever worked their matches.

Thus far, I've been excluding people whose identity can only be established by a decades-old news article asserting that they died in a match. This raises a tricky question, because I'm inclined to exclude those people, I've been including much more recent deaths of workers who are only really notable for having died in in-ring accidents, such as Emiko Kado. Since the goal of the project is to examine mortality among wrestlers, I'm afraid that following my current guideline is skewing toward my bias that wrestlers dying young is largely a product of the television/boom eras. What do you all think?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 12, 2013

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cardboard Box posted:

They literally started calling it the Attitude Adjustment one week like it had always been called that. I clearly remember this being awkward as gently caress because they called it the FU at the PPV before that, and then on Raw maybe a week or two later Lawler just busts out "He calls that the Attitude Adjustment!" in a match and they kept calling it that afterward. No explanation or reason, it was just renamed.

Does anyone remember the promo where Cena in his rapper gimmick named his finisher to parody Brock Lesnar's F-5? I remember him saying something like "You've got the F-5, mine's the F-U."

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Seeing the new Curtis Axel shirt made me wonder, how long has WWE been releasing merchandise for heels? I could have sworn that in the early 90s, it was strictly faces that had merchandise, I don't ever recall seeing any for heels. Not counting tweener stuff like DX and Austin, when did they first start releasing merch for straight-up heels?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cromulent posted:

Seeing the new Curtis Axel shirt made me wonder, how long has WWE been releasing merchandise for heels? I could have sworn that in the early 90s, it was strictly faces that had merchandise, I don't ever recall seeing any for heels. Not counting tweener stuff like DX and Austin, when did they first start releasing merch for straight-up heels?

Since always. I definitely remember Andre shirts well after he was a heel and Demolition merch before they turned face. I'm pretty sure the iconic Macho Man shirt first appeared when he was still heel, but I could be wrong on that one.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 12, 2013

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cromulent posted:

In the '80s everyone had merchandise. Think of the "Hot Rod!' shirt, or the lavender "Macho Man" shirt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

They literally started calling it the Attitude Adjustment one week like it had always been called that. I clearly remember this being awkward as gently caress because they called it the FU at the PPV before that, and then on Raw maybe a week or two later Lawler just busts out "He calls that the Attitude Adjustment!" in a match and they kept calling it that afterward. No explanation or reason, it was just renamed.

Does anyone remember the promo where Cena in his rapper gimmick named his finisher to parody Brock Lesnar's F-5? I remember him saying something like "You've got the F-5, mine's the F-U."

Yeah, it was during the weird period where Brock was a babyface, but they had no good heels for him, so he wrestled Bob Holly and a way-too-soon Cena. The promos Cena cut were good though, very intense about how Brock should've finished the job when he'd done an injury angle a few months prior, and now Cena would make him regret it.

Also he implied Brock has a small dick.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, it was during the weird period where Brock was a babyface, but they had no good heels for him, so he wrestled Bob Holly and a way-too-soon Cena. The promos Cena cut were good though, very intense about how Brock should've finished the job when he'd done an injury angle a few months prior, and now Cena would make him regret it.

Also he implied Brock has a small dick.

"Ya hop around like you got potatoes in your crack/
Oh, and that's a nice tattoo... OF YOUR MOMMA ON YOUR BACK"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Red posted:

Your methodology is sound, as it also disqualifies Fifi Dupree.
Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CanadianJericholeaf
Jun 9, 2004

by Lowtax
Why are all the fireman's carry moves in WWE done left handed? I think Punk's GTS might look better if he did it right handed/knee'd. I would assume the reason is related to TV production and how the audience sees it.