Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah he was just a dick from the sound of it. It greatly varies from breed to breed as well. But you didn't do anything wrong.

In other news I'm having a new and unexpected problem. Billy is getting super horny. Horny horny horny. He spends all day running around doing his super aroused humming and humping EVERYTHING. His girlfriend likes to keep things platonic and this has been putting some strain on this otherwise peaceful household. She now runs away every time he approaches, and for good reason. I'm starting to get worried it'll lead to fights.

He's been neutered for over six years now. What the poo poo. Is this like a midlife crisis or entering the dirty old man stage of his life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

uglynoodles posted:

He was neutered, yes. The shelter I got him from made sure all their rabbits left microchipped and without their bollocks/babymakers. It's the way to do it, I feel. :)
I'd really love to get a Flemish Giant or a Belgian Hare, but I'd probably need to go to a breeder for that and I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for that in the UK. Also I don't want a baby animal! What you mention about hanging out with the shelter rabbits and observing their personalities is a really good idea. It's how I chose my bird -- we just 'clicked.' :)

If you want an adult flemmie then hanging out at the shelters is the way to go. If you check shelter's websites around your community you can visit them and see how you like them.

On the other hand, baby flemish giants are basically just regular sized rabbits that can't eat a lot of greens yet.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

uglynoodles posted:

I love rabbits and would love to try having one again at some point. I had a rabbit a couple years ago that I adopted from a shelter and took home to be a housebun. He apparently came out of a hoarding situation. I did quite a bit of research before I took Bodie into my home. Rabbit proofing my home was easy as I lived in a one bedroom apartment at the time (and I still do, albeit it's a smaller one now.) His home base was in a segregated hallway area next to the staircase -- he had a cage whose door was always open and the area was fenced off by a puppy gate. This meant when he was 'put away' he had about 10 feet of space to run around in. Plenty of room to binky. I didn't allow him in my room ever because I didn't want him developing a taste for pissing on my bed, so the door was always closed.

I put in the hours learning how to speak rabbit. I lay down on the floor next to his space and waited for him to come out. I never invaded it to clean when he was in it (or in eyesight.) I dutifully switched the litterpan to the corner he chose to use. I never picked him up to pet him or put him places. We were the only occupied flat in a row of what was rather urban beauty and I got Bodie a harness so I could take him outside for small excursions into the grass under close supervision. (He did usually let me put the harness on once he learned he got to go out into the backyard.) I did my best to be firm but gentle.

Bodie resisted all of my efforts to bond with him. He sat sullenly in his corner when I tried to invite him to play. He pissed upon the toys I gave him, then left them in the corner furthest away from him and never touched them. He foot thumped when I tried to give him treats. He pissed all over his own area when I was around. He flicked piss at me. He nipped me harder, not softer, when he tried unsuccessfully to drive me away from the couch. He attacked my feet -- even from across the room when I tried to give him space if I detected he was especially ornery.
He began pissing and making GBS threads everywhere, and resisted my attempts to re-litter train him. He'd be in his home base for several days successfully using the litter pan, then the second he was let out he'd piss all over everything. He tried to get into my bedroom by digging at the wood and door despite being given time outside and thick layers of hay and stuff to dig in which I buried treats inside of.

He stripped the paint off walls to eat and if given half the chance would successfully beat up my soft-as-poo poo Doberman/Lab mix dog for his food too. He was an endless stomach as demonstrated by the paint stripping thing and would inhale his bowl of rabbit food in under a minute, then kick the dish around and protest in an effort to get more. I tried to give him a slightly larger amount of food, worried he was just so hungry maybe I was starving him and perhaps if he was full he wouldn't resort to eating paint or ripping Bobby's face off, which I of course did my best to discourage but he would ninja that poo poo. He'd behave for a short period of time, like a day, to get my guard down. I wanted him to be able to lounge on the couch, so he'd lie there and then when he knew I wasn't looking would rip off the couch and strip off as much paint as he could, then run back to his home base. I tried to get the paint back from him but he'd usually eaten most of it by the time I could get to him. I was terrified that the paint would make him ill but short of locking him in his home base permanently I didn't know what to do.
He learned to jump the puppygate, meaning I had to shut him in his small hutch at night instead of allowing him a nice run, because if I didn't I'd wake up to find piss and poo poo everywhere, the dog's food gone and the couch disemboweled. Bodie hated this and communicated this to me by incessantly gnawing at the cage bars loudly in our small apartment all night long.

I kept trying for two years before I'd had enough. I loved Bodie, but he didn't love me. It broke my heart, but he was keeping me up at night, I had other responsibilities and a very stressful job as well, he'd destroyed a wall, and I was at a loss of what to do. He was eating me and my dog out of house and home. He was never satisfied, and I got to thinking he must be desperately unhappy in my home. I thought he'd perhaps be one of those buns better off with another rabbit rather than me as company.

I thought I was doing the right thing by bringing him back to the shelter I'd got him from. I don't think I'd ever sobbed as hard as I did when I brought him back. The shelter staff seemed very understanding when I explained what I had done, but I still felt like a failure. I still do feel like a failure. The person who I brought him into was the same person who'd adopted him out to me, and he remarked on how happy I had been when I got him. The last time I checked, he's still at the shelter. They said that he resisted bonding with any other rabbits and continued to have a 'very definite personality.'

I want to know where I went wrong with Bodie. I love rabbits -- I have a tattoo of one -- and I'd love to try again someday but I'm terrified if that's a typical experience of owning a housebun. From all the research I did and all the accounts I've read, it isn't, but I guess my boy Bodie bunny-burned me. Every time I'm at the pet shop though I still love looking at the rabbits and imagining stroking one on its curvy back.
I love Belgian Hares, they're so gorgeous.

Please help Bunny thread. Show me the error of my ways or reassure me or something. Please! :(

I'm sorry but that was just hilarious to read. Bodie sounds like one helluva rabbit.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

uglynoodles posted:

He was neutered, yes. The shelter I got him from made sure all their rabbits left microchipped and without their bollocks/babymakers. It's the way to do it, I feel. :)
I'd really love to get a Flemish Giant or a Belgian Hare, but I'd probably need to go to a breeder for that and I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for that in the UK. Also I don't want a baby animal! What you mention about hanging out with the shelter rabbits and observing their personalities is a really good idea. It's how I chose my bird -- we just 'clicked.' :)

Some rabbits are just dicks. You gave that guy a bunny paradise, and you really tried. I dont think it's your fault at all. See if you can volunteer at the shelter, just some light cleaning and socialization on the weekends. Someone will come into your life.

May want to look into a more secure cage though, where they cant get at the walls. Solid on three sides and the top gives a confined rabbit a bit of security, for them and us as well. Slats of untreated wood work great. See if you can get wood sawn to spec at Wikes.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 28, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro is continuing her less than stellar eating record. I'll be taking her in to the vet tomorrow morning regardless of whether her appetite comes back today or not.

She'll eat pellets and hay but snubs her greens. I'm giving her morning and night doses of reglan and simethicone but she's not liking the greens I guess.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
What the hell. I woke up this morning to our last Rabbit showing signs of early head tilt, possibly the EC that took down our first rabbit a year ago. Of course the vets closed because it's thanksgiving! thanks stupid rabbit timing :argh:

Appetite and bowels seem to be just fine, she isn't showing any nystagmus in her eyes but her head is doing the type writer tick to the right, just like Sascha. Ugh. My theory, if it is EC, is she had it all along since the three of them were together, and with the death of Tubbs her depression weakened her immune system enough to flare up. Hopefully we can get her through it with more success than we had with Sascha.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 28, 2013

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
My heart goes out to you. This thread is super sad these last few months. Good luck with sick buns :(

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pseudonordic posted:

Cilantro is continuing her less than stellar eating record. I'll be taking her in to the vet tomorrow morning regardless of whether her appetite comes back today or not.

She'll eat pellets and hay but snubs her greens. I'm giving her morning and night doses of reglan and simethicone but she's not liking the greens I guess.

New plate of greens for lunch and she gobbled them right up after not touching her breakfast.

It is a rabbit. :argh:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Does anyone here have any experience with Belgian Hares? They seem like an interesting breed, but I'm wondering how much space they need and how active they are. How are their personalities?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Stupid rabbit :argh:

Took her to the vet this morning. She wouldn't do the head thing. So the vet said he couldn't make a diagnosis but her ears were fine and temp was good, she gained weight since last year.

Got home and she started with the head thing again. Thanks for wasting 75 bucks you rear end in a top hat rabbit!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Stupid rabbit :argh:

Took her to the vet this morning. She wouldn't do the head thing. So the vet said he couldn't make a diagnosis but her ears were fine and temp was good, she gained weight since last year.

Got home and she started with the head thing again. Thanks for wasting 75 bucks you rear end in a top hat rabbit!

Maybe make a short video of it if you have a smartphone? :ohdear:

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Gah, something seems wrong with my bunny - I tried giving him a piece of carrot as a treat earlier, and noticed he just mostly licked it while trying to take very small nibbles every now and then. Didn't manage to eat much of it. Later I tried to see if he can bite properly by offering him a piece of hay while holding onto the other end - he did grip onto it and tried pulling the straw, but didn't bite through it. Looks like he's left some of his favourite pellets in the tray as well..

Very worried; wonder if his teeth have grown too long? They're not visible or anything drastic, and he doesn't really let me peek at his mouth.. Probably means a long vet trip tomorrow morning. :(

EDIT: Tried giving him a different kind of pellet and he's happily crunching away at those. Huh, maybe he just had a weird picky eating-episode? Will see how he does tomorrow before calling a vet-check.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 1, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Cut some of his food very small, leave some a bit larger. Good test to see if his incisors are bothering him.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Molars are more frequently a cause of eating problems than incisors, and some buns can eat pellets long past the point they can't eat hay. You mentioned you were concerned about his teeth back in July, so I think a vet visit is definitely warranted.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

pseudonordic posted:

Maybe make a short video of it if you have a smartphone? :ohdear:

Its funny I have been trying to take video for 3 days now. Whenever I walk in there she refuses to do it and hides in her tunnel. So I propped the camera up facing the tunnel and came back 20 minutes later. She had just fallen asleep for the 20 minutes I was gone. GAAAHHH!!!

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Haha, aww. I woke my fat lazy rabbit up yesterday when I left for uni, she was just snoozing away and as soon as she heard me come over (or smelled the food, more likely) she sort of woke up and looked around all confused like and then started begging :3:

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

alucinor posted:

Molars are more frequently a cause of eating problems than incisors, and some buns can eat pellets long past the point they can't eat hay. You mentioned you were concerned about his teeth back in July, so I think a vet visit is definitely warranted.

Yeah, I figured I'd best get it checked out, although he does eat hay too, now. He still feels shy about biting into anything, be it wood, cardboard, carrots.. Vet check is on monday, hope everything's fine. The vet said she's hesitant to use anesthetics on him although that would allow a more thorough check; it's risky enough on bunnies, and this fella being ~10 years old doesn't help that any. At least they should be able to check if there's some obvious problems.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

I have conquered this basket, and now I will turn into a blob.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bunway Airlines posted:

I have conquered this basket, and now I will turn into a blob.

I almost fell out of my chair when I looked at this.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

Cuties. :allears:

Just a random Google image search for 'bunnys,' which I do daily.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

kill your idols posted:

Cuties. :allears:

Just a random Google image search for 'bunnys,' which I do daily.

You may like http://dailybunny.com/ and http://dailybunny.org/

My wife hits them every day.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Oh god why is Billy such a horrible jizz monster? There is just no end to the humping. My other rabbit is really starting to hate his horny guts. I might have to separate them or something.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So Lils has done a complete 180. From head tracking and tilt and "don't touch me you horrible human where the hell is my friend!?!" to active and energetic and frantically excited to see us when we wake up or come home. I eve got her to come to the side fo the enclosure and ask to be pet, which has never happened in her entire 8 year lifespan. I know she is lonely but she is definitely beginning to see us as friends instead of horrible monsters who keep touching her.

Who would have thought it would only have taken the death of all our other rabbits for her to like us.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

pseudonordic posted:

You may like http://dailybunny.com/ and http://dailybunny.org/

My wife hits them every day.

Also @usagipic_bot if you're on Twitter. Bunny pics every hour even if it tends to repeat frequently.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

pseudonordic posted:

I almost fell out of my chair when I looked at this.

Why? Because of her irresistible squishiness?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Bunway Airlines posted:

My money is on the cord in the background.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bunway Airlines posted:

Precisely. Such a little fuzz puddle. :3:

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Remora posted:

My money is on the cord in the background.

Oddly, mine don't care for cords anymore. They haven't touched one in years.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Who would have thought it would only have taken the death of all our other rabbits for her to like us.

Rabbit.txt

Mine is sort of being a bit more friendly these days. Sometimes she lets me pet her, sometimes she honks and kicks and fucks off elsewhere. She's a work in progress and she's only, I think, three, so there's plenty of time for me to mould her into a fluffy snugglebun.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Bunway Airlines posted:

Oddly, mine don't care for cords anymore. They haven't touched one in years.

I have the only rabbit in the universe that doesn't eat cords. She doesn't dig carpet, either. We might need to clone her.

She looked cold this morning. I fixed it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Bean posted:

I have the only rabbit in the universe that doesn't eat cords. She doesn't dig carpet, either. We might need to clone her.

Jackass.

Not for blanketing your bunny, but because mine was the only one who didn't do either of those. Until my new roomate moved in with his goddamned parrot.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Bean posted:

Yeah, mine do love carpet but I live in a house with hard wood floors :smug:

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Snugglebun! I used to try do that with Juppo but she'd just sort of look at me, so I gave up.

For a while last summer, when I was just looking after Juppo for my best mate and she hadn't taken over ownership of me, I had a kitchen in the living room style arrangement. The living part was fairly big and carpeted, and the kitchen was just a strip of lino. Watching her tear around the carpeted part before making her way onto the lino and sliding across it never stopped being absolutely hilarious.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have any experience with mites on rabbits? We were out of town for 7 days, and had a friend come visit with Gracie every couple of days. We got back to find that she had some pretty big patches of spotty fur on her back. At first I attributed this to fur plucking due to boredom, but after some research it looked like it might be mites. The visiting friend has a cat, so it could well have been transmitted that way.

However, it's not a 100% diagnosis since there's zero flaking or dandruff (in fact, she already has some adorable and super soft fuzz growing back in), and she hasn't been itching at all.

We just spent more than a grand on vet bills for her so I'd really rather avoid the vet if at all possible.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

alucinor posted:

The vet said his teeth were in perfect condition, though without anesthetic she couldn't do a very thorough check. He checked pretty much everything else she could think of, and it seems the old fella is in very good shape all around. :) Strange, considering he's very lazy about actually chewing wood / toys / anything, even wires, but I guess eating hay and pellets is enough for his teeth? Good to hear he's doing well, anyhow. The vet did say Hermanni is the oldest rabbit he's ever seen, too.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Flopsy is eating my loving Christmas tree.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Charlie grabbed a packet of Soothers, those throat lozenges, and ran around the house being chased by us. If he'd get even a tiny lead he's stop and furiously try and stuff as much in his mouth as he could before we got close enough then he'd run again. After we got it from him he was full of energy and friendly, must've just been a game.

Also, we have this little coffee table near the couch he isn't allowed on. He jumps on it all the time and we just make sure nothing edible is there but usually yelling his name makes him jump off. The other day I was sick on the couch by myself and he jumped on the table. I was too sick to get much volume but ended up with a pathetic pleading "Charlie, off the table" and he just stared at me and sat down smugly, taunting me with my inability to chase him off.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mr Confetti posted:

And he thanks you for the wonderful chew toy.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Mr Confetti posted:

Is it a faux tree or a 'fresh cut' tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Karandras posted:

Also, we have this little coffee table near the couch he isn't allowed on. He jumps on it all the time and we just make sure nothing edible is there but usually yelling his name makes him jump off. The other day I was sick on the couch by myself and he jumped on the table. I was too sick to get much volume but ended up with a pathetic pleading "Charlie, off the table" and he just stared at me and sat down smugly, taunting me with my inability to chase him off.

They can absolutely tell when you're not capable of chasing them off. The other day when I had the flu and was throwing up in the bathroom I came back to find both of mine in the windowsill gnawing on the walls and eating the curtains.

Mr Confetti posted:

Just FYI this can be really bad for rabbits. Not to mention the decorations/electric cords around there. You should keep him away.