Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

MrBims posted:

Man don't post this. :(

Why'd you have to remind us about it...

Maybe Veins Of The Earth will eventually make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

MrBims posted:

Man don't post this. :(

Why'd you have to remind us about it...

We need to be reminded of Incursion, to inspire the next generation of hobby developers, with a gleam in their eye and sperg in their veins. Unfinished projects inspire new projects from other developers, odd how that works. Or, if the unfinished is open source, it gets picked up. Not too different.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
How playable is Risk of Rain with a keyboard/mouse? I'm tempted to pick it up but I hate using controllers and it looks like a controller centric game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

How playable is Risk of Rain with a keyboard/mouse? I'm tempted to pick it up but I hate using controllers and it looks like a controller centric game.

I'm having no trouble at all playing with a keyboard (you don't need a mouse at all outside of menus).

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I can't think of any way a controller would provide an advantage.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Eschatos posted:

I can't think of any way a controller would provide an advantage.

I wasn't able to clear the game before I switched to controller, however that almost certainly has to do with the fact that I started the controller with X hours under my belt, whereas I started the KB with zero. It was perfectly playable with a keyboard.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There should be a new Sil release on January 3rd if precedence is anything to go by.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
If you only have like 3 fingers I can see how a controller would be an advantage, otherwise keyboard will do just fine

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Would Sir, You Are Being Hunted, count as a roguelike? Perhaps not, it's only somewhat more roguelike than DayZ. Anyway, here's the breakdown of roguelike features it does have:
  • Random level layout and monster distribution
  • Five islands to explore
  • Limited saving to certain points (sorta semi-perma death to keep tension ratcheted)
  • Harsher-than-casual difficulty
  • You start with little-to-nothing and must scavenge
  • Hunger, health, and light medical mechanics
  • Ability to set traps and make plans

And, the argument for it not being a roguelike:
  • Can't be said to have a dungeon with walls and suchlike
  • Not turn-based, though it is somewhat self-paced
  • No permadeath yet (saves don't erase themselves)
  • It's really an open-world survival FPS
  • Unlikely to have the depth of a traditional roguelike
  • Easy to master relative to traditional roguelikes

Either way, I guess I could do a quick write-up and the worst that could happen is that it just doesn't show up in the OP.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

That game looks pretty fun, I've been halfassedly following it since it was announced

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

doctorfrog posted:

Would X count as a roguelike?

Why would you ever ask this?

But since you did: turn-based, permadeath, randomly generated levels. 3/3, you've got a roguelike.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh sweet, I didn't realise it's on Steam sale.

But I've spent too much on games lately, I dunno whether to get it now or wait to see if it drops further in the Xmas sale :ohdear:

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Corridor posted:

Oh sweet, I didn't realise it's on Steam sale.

But I've spent too much on games lately, I dunno whether to get it now or wait to see if it drops further in the Xmas sale :ohdear:
It usually starts like this...

Get help: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387318

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I am also on the fence about buying Sir, You Are Being Hunted while it's on sale. Has anyone been playing it?

Edit: Went ahead and purchased it after doing a bit of reading and watching some videos.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 8, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

doctorfrog posted:

Would Sir, You Are Being Hunted, count as a roguelike?

Looks roguelikey enough to me to be included in the genre bending section. Definitely do a write-up.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
(sorry for the double post)

Contest update:

I've updated the OP with some (but not all, yet) of the write-ups people have posted.

So far the entries are as follows:

madjackmcmad (Meritous)
Glidergun (Incursion)
andrew smash (Desktop Dungeons, Rogue Legacy)
Corridor (Pixel Dungeon)
quiggy stardust (FTL)
Emong (One Way Heroics)
drink_bleach (Binding of Isaac)
Zombie Samurai (IVAN)
Pladdicus (You only live once)
Naar (Teleglitch)
korora (Legerdemain)
Trickyrive (Spelunky)

For a total of 12 entrants and 13 write-ups.

I'm really enjoying reading these, thanks guys.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted

Cost: $20, $10 when occasionally on sale
Genre: Open-world Survival FPS with a Faint Smattering of Roguelike Features
Platforms: Win/Linux/Mac, DRM-free and/or Steam
Mods/Forks: None of note yet (it's a bit early yet)

If it's important to you to be enveloped in a pencil-thin plot and the dreary damp countryside of northern England, while also being stalked by heartless tweed-wearing robot hunters with British accents, that's... a really specific need on your part. Sir (or Madam), You Are Being Hunted takes place on a randomly-generated set of five islands, dominated by four biomes, whereupon are scattered 20-some fragments of an exploded experimental British Machine of Some Sort that has teleported you here. Your goal is to sneak, survive, and gather machine parts to the central island, and you "ascend" by leaving successfully. Presumably in time for tea and biscuits or something.

Although the plot is less than serious, the gameplay is moderately difficult. It's not a power fantasy. You'll start with very little equipment, though there are alternative roles that give you an early leg up. If you want a gun, you'll typically have to earn it by risking your hide, and ammo is scarce. All five islands are ruins, infested with droll pipe-smoking, rifle slinging robots. You'll have to balance hunger and stealth mechanics in a day/night cyle, while looting buildings and the odd robot you'll destroy. Islands are procedurally generated with random heightmaps and flora, with clusters of villages to loot. In a sense, the game is a playground for experimenting with the AI, using cover, traps, distractions, direct violence, and lots of nervous sneaking about. Gameplay roughly boils down to a combination of DayZ and the Thief series, making it fairly unique among both FPS games and Roguelikes.

Sir, is currently in alpha, with no specific release date, and many of the features described above may be expanded upon or added to as it nears completion. (For example, hunting and cooking were recently introduced.) In reality, it's sort of a middle step for developer Big Robot in developing a much larger game that generates whole worlds instead of merely islands. And, as a FPS, the focus on 3D and multimedia also translates to a decreased complexity of play. It'd be a stretch to expect "true" roguelike depth out of Sir, but it'd be a mistake to turn up your nose at this fine game. Jolly good show!

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 8, 2013

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I've tried to play Sir twice now and this poo poo is pretty hard. So far I have learned that the searchlight-equipped hot air balloons can spot you even if you fully concealed and it is really easy to die.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah, I picked up Sir when it was on sale for $9 a while back and the game is pretty balls-hard. Enemies are much more sensitive to movement than your average Deus Ex/MGS cronies, and even things like disturbing flocks of birds will attract their attention from afar. They're also pretty aggressive and accurate, and you'll almost always be outgunned. Plus, you currently have to contend with bleeding injuries and food, so you can't take things too slow or you'll starve to death long before you accomplish your goal.

It's still a WIP, and I feel like the game needs a handful more enemies, biomes, and tools before it really feels fleshed out. That being said, if you can nab it on a Steam Sale and have a hankering for a dreary STALKER-esque-meets-roguelike-meets-Indie-Lo-fi game, this is probably a good choice.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I like the feel of it and you at least have some starting classes to choose from that have weapons. I thought starting the game as an officer with a rifle and revolver would make things considerably easier, but I still only lasted a short while.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gooch181 posted:

I like the feel of it and you at least have some starting classes to choose from that have weapons. I thought starting the game as an officer with a rifle and revolver would make things considerably easier, but I still only lasted a short while.

Oh, poo poo, that must be relatively new because those options didn't exist last time I played!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Over the past 36 hours of owning Sir You Are Being Hunted, I've played around 4 hours and visited their forums enough to realize that the game is two things: hard, and not completely refined. And folks are complaining about it (not that people here are).

However, I don't think it's quite that hard, and I'm the furthest thing from a pro gamer. I'm over six hundred deaths into Spelunky without a win yet. Still, I've managed to get an axe, beat the poo poo out of a few dudes, and have a gun and two rounds. I have a hell of a hill to climb with about 23 devices parts left to deliver, and from what I understand, each time you deliver a part, the difficulty increases.

I think there's a certain perception with FPS games that things are supposed to be somewhat easy. You're supposed to find that first gun, and then it's just an upward rise from there. But I think SYABH is meant to be a desperate stealthy crawl from start to finish, and I for one am hoping it retains a good level of desperation as it nears its completion date. What it does need, though, is a rising challenge as you get better, and it's starting to get that with the newer bots, like the bastard one that lays traps and then its dog finds you and goes, "WOOF WOOF. BOW, WOW," and holds you like a bear trap.

Really looking forward to this thing's end vision, because I have a feeling me and the developer have played a lot of the same PC games of the late nineties/early aughts.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, the game's difficult, but it's manageable.

The one thing I wish Sir had at the moment (and one thing the developers have explicitly said it will never get) are interiors. Just place everything in lootable containers so the RNG could still be in charge of distribution. I think it'd do a lot for the game's atmosphere if you could enter buildings and genuinely scavenge for supplies. Right now it's a little lame to click on a door and instantly access the inventory like you're opening a box.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

There's an actual reason why they don't let you go inside buildings, one of the devs wrote an article about it due to all the complaints -
http://www.big-robot.com/2013/07/20/why-cant-i-enter-the-buildings-in-sir/

Also the latest update introduced a ton of new poo poo. The starting classes that give you items/weapons, new enemies, and a small overhaul of stealth and weapons.
http://www.big-robot.com/2013/12/05/iiiiiits-the-december-update/

I decided not to buy or play it until it's completed. Otherwise I'll end up doing what I did with Don't Starve (another pseudo-roguelike) and play it in alpha a bunch of times after each new content update, then get burned out by the time it's properly released.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, the game's difficult, but it's manageable.

The one thing I wish Sir had at the moment (and one thing the developers have explicitly said it will never get) are interiors. Just place everything in lootable containers so the RNG could still be in charge of distribution. I think it'd do a lot for the game's atmosphere if you could enter buildings and genuinely scavenge for supplies. Right now it's a little lame to click on a door and instantly access the inventory like you're opening a box.

Sadly, they can't make that happen: http://www.big-robot.com/2013/07/20/why-cant-i-enter-the-buildings-in-sir/

Short answer: they're three dudes, and would rather focus on other things that have a bigger impact.

Now, I'm on their side because this is the sort of project that I really want to succeed, but I tend to view villages, buildings, etc. as "interiors," in that they are sets of obstacles and cover, and so forth, to foil the AI with. Sure, I'd much rather have enterable buildings, but at least for now, I'm willing to overlook it.

edit: and yes, you do say that the game will never get that feature, woops

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 9, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

For the Roguelite section, I guess.

Don't Starve! (cinematic trailer) (gameplay trailer)

Cost: $20 with new content still being regularly released

Genre: Survival sim with crafting and enslavement
Graphics: Creepy little hand-drawn animated sprites
Platform: PC/Mac/Linux on Steam

Let's Plays:

cKnoor (SomethingAwful VLP)

Forks:

The Screecher Review and trailer - A horror mod entirely separate from the main game (included free with Don't Starve)
Many add-ons and standalone mods in Steam Workshop, all with full developer support

You play as Wilson, a disturbed little scientist who creates something he absolutely shouldn't have and is sucked into a strange hostile land overseen by the demonic Maxwell. You're thrown in completely clueless, and possessing nothing but your crafting knowledge, and so your task at first is simply to stay alive - by collecting berries and trapping rabbits and roasting them over the campfire which is the only way to fend off the hordes of night-time horrors that lurk in darkness - but once you've established the basics, you can start putting together a power base from which to explore and experiment. Wilson can craft many things with the Power of Science, and every rock, tree, and beast on the island (as well as Wilson's own growing beard) can be harvested to create a variety of structures, clothes, weapons, and magical artifacts.

Don't Starve features a hell of a lot of stuff and there really isn't the space here to list them all. If you find the native pig-men you can recruit them as bodyguards with bribes of food (until full moon... :ohdear:), you can experience seasonal changes, you can hop through wormholes to explore new horizons, and you can go totally insane and get beaten to death by your own nightmares (or beat them to a puddle of crafting material, whatever). [e. apparently you can also recruit them in the latest update? jeez] There is a way to return home and 'win' the game, but it's kind of an abstract far-away goal and there're absolutely no hints given on how to achieve this. Many other player characters can also be unlocked such as a pyromaniac, librarian, and robot (just to name a few), all with their own unique perks and personalities, and all of whom (like Wilson) speak in strange little musical chirps as they complain and comment on their surroundings.

It is deceptively easy to die in Don't Starve, and death is permanent (although you can turn this off if you're a wuss). Spending more than a few seconds in darkness is fatal. The mechanics of hunger, health, and sanity are fairly simple, but can get out of hand if you don't take care of all three. Many materials need to be gathered from creatures that object to this, and as you are not the only inhabitant of this world, there are many things quite happy to hunt you. With that said, there are ways to revive yourself, if you can find them...

I think it's also worth mentioning that Klei Entertainment are very cool devs who released a full trailer and high-res poster with each update release, even back in alpha, and it's absolutely worth checking these out by skipping back through their blog (if you don't mind a few mechanic spoilers, of course).

Corridor fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 10, 2013

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Here's an interesting mobile game i've been playing around with recently.
Isle of Bxnes
Cost: $2.99

Explore uncharted vistas!

Club your enemies until they stop moving!

Learn exciting lessons about your anatomy!

Meet discerning and refined lovers!

Genre: action RPG
Graphics: pixel dudes
Platform: Android/iOS

Forks: None

Isle of Bxnes is a "stone-age action RPG" for mobile devices. In this game, you play the role of a nameless hunter tasked with defending the haggard remnants of his tribe as they drift eastward across a hostile and barren sea following the divinely inspired visions / drug-induced fever dreams of the tribal shaman. It is real time, but has randomized levels and a permadeath-with-continues system. If you die, your hunter is gone for good and you can't reload an old save to get him back. However, if you have previously spent some time, ahem, getting to know a fellow tribe member your progeny can take your place and carry on. While this system is somewhat similar to Rogue Legacy, it's important to note that if you haven't made the choice to procreate (this choice consumes some of a limited in-game resource) your tribe WILL die out, forcing you to start over completely.

This game is hard as poo poo and ultimately a little confusing, but so far i've found it pretty rewarding. It makes pretty good use of the mobile platforms both in terms of graphics and play length (note, by this I mean an individual level - I have not finished the full game).

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 9, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Just wanted to say that if you haven't tried One Way Heroics, you should pick it up. $2 is a criminally cheap price for a fun game.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I just downloaded UnReal World and decided to toss the guy a donation when I did. In return, I was given a link to download...the best thank you video I have ever been given the opportunity to download.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Devorum posted:

I just downloaded UnReal World and decided to toss the guy a donation when I did. In return, I was given a link to download...the best thank you video I have ever been given the opportunity to download.

Oh man, I donated to URW before he went to his donation model and I never got to see a thank you video :(

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone try Dungeon of the Endless yet?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/249050/

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Harminoff posted:

I've played a few (bad) games of it. I can't speak to balance since I'm still learning it, but it's pretty enjoyable.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Harminoff posted:

I'd say it's got promise and is worth keeping an eye on. Gameplay is a mix between a roguelike and tower defense, you've got a couple characters to move around and you can stick down turrets and resource extractors (food to level up/heal the characters, industry to build turrets/extractors), however enemies are spawned every turn (triggered by opening a new room) by opening up rooms and leaving them unpowered, and you don't have enough power for every room you open up. On my successful run it ended up being a mad dash to get the power core through the last few dark rooms to the elevator up as my defenses began to crumble. And then I screwed myself over since I didn't realize that resources carry over, so by spamming turrets and such I didn't have any industry or food ready to go for the next level

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Wazhack is back with a big new update despite the dev dude breaking his arm apparently:

http://blog.wazhack.com/

Lots of new classes, talent system fixed up, untold misc things---lots of folks going to be dying horribly on the Web edition this weekend methinks.

I'm stoked to see it have such a nice release, the first in a long time, after getting Greenlit, though it'll be some months yet before he can get things situated on Steam all things considered with the holidays and his arm.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Whats new in adom 1.2?
Also whats easy now or do the old power combos still dominate?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Whats new in adom 1.2?
Also whats easy now or do the old power combos still dominate?

http://www.ancardia.com/changelog.html

I think I'm getting old and lazy, I tried to play ADOM again and I just can't handle the UI any more. Same story with Nethack. After playing some really streamlined roguelikes lately with decent ui/graphics/etc, I find the older ones just too clumsy to enjoy.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

victrix posted:

http://www.ancardia.com/changelog.html

I think I'm getting old and lazy, I tried to play ADOM again and I just can't handle the UI any more. Same story with Nethack. After playing some really streamlined roguelikes lately with decent ui/graphics/etc, I find the older ones just too clumsy to enjoy.

You aren't the only one, the genre has just moved on from the obtuse UIs of yesteryear.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

It's not just roguelikes. I was never sadder than when I realised I just couldn't be loving bothered with the controls and menus of Under A Killing Moon to ever play it again :smith:

But yeah in RLs, especially the ones where there are way too many loving things you can do, it gets annoying faster. I can't even play Powder because of the UI

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

One Way Heroics kinda owns in that respect. You can literally play it with the numpad only.

(I actually wish it had more hotkeys so you could bind abilities, but otherwise, it owns!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Crawl's ui isn't THAT different from nethack's, save for autoexplore. It's funny that after all these years there are still separate buttons for "[r]ead" vs "[q]uaff" and [W]ear vs [P]ut on. I mean I'm talking about ascii mode here, but that's the best mode anyway. :colbert: I certainly wouldn't want things to go in the dungeons of dredmor direction.