Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Loving that map! The geographical names have a proper new-world feel to them.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

On similar lines, if Obsidian is willing to work with Bethesda again (and vice-versa) I'd love to see their take on TES and all its hosed-up lore.

A CHIM-based quest where you have to gently caress around in the editor to solve a puzzle.

On second thought, all elder scrolls games have had that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah, the map's all kinds of pretty. I wonder if it will be the world map we move around in game, or is it's just to show off the world.

NmareBfly posted:

If Obsidian is required by divine (or infernal) contract to go with a fantasy setting I would like to officially request a Malazan RPG, thanks in advance.

No, that can't happen. Ziets isn't involved in this, and if Malazan isn't the best setting for Ziets' long desired divine campaign, I don't know what is. Playing a new ascendant, and getting involved with the power struggles among the gods while fiddling around in the lives of mortals. It's built for that kind of game. I want to play as Shadowthrone/Cortillion 2.0, dammit!

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 12, 2013

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Guys.

Obsidian written RPG in the Morrowind setting.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Why would you subject any half-decent writer to TES lore?

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

coffeetable posted:

Why would you subject any half-decent writer to TES lore?

Because the lore is the decent thing about TES?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah, the background writing done for Morrowind is basically the best part of the game, it's weird as gently caress and basically what a world full of actually-existing pantheistic deities and all that entails would actually look like. I'd love to see Obsidian get to write prequel title set in Tamriel's history before Bethesda decided to try and make it boilerplate high fantasy.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I was really shocked when I read a bunch of lore on the TES wiki, because my experience of the series was Skyrim, where not-quite-Romans battled not-quite-Vikings and you explored these ancient empty cities full of automatons that nobody seemed to really care about and occasionally pledge your soul to a deity in order to complete a quest. Somehow I never found the really messed up stuff like the Thalmor planning to unmake all of existence, that all seems to be hidden unless you explore a lot and everything that makes it seem like a completely generic fantasy universe is front and centre.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah, the background writing done for Morrowind is basically the best part of the game, it's weird as gently caress and basically what a world full of actually-existing pantheistic deities and all that entails would actually look like. I'd love to see Obsidian get to write prequel title set in Tamriel's history before Bethesda decided to try and make it boilerplate high fantasy.

The Malazan series is basically this. A bit less weird, probably, but more believable world-building around a shifting pantheon of gods.

Sheogorath ain't got poo poo on High House Shadow.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sadly though the Malazan mythology is wasted as a series of really badly written books, all the interesting stuff is buried under mountains and mountains of dense and turgid prose and the world-building is nearly always at odds with actual story-telling. What's nice about TES is you can examine the world at your own pace, do as much or as little in-world reading as you like and absorb alot of the culture and atmosphere passively as you play through the game, Malazan would probably actually make a great FPRPG in the same vein actually.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Sadly though the Malazan mythology is wasted as a series of really badly written books, all the interesting stuff is buried under mountains and mountains of dense and turgid prose and the world-building is nearly always at odds with actual story-telling.

My thoughts exactly. I was really excited to start that series, but I find them practically unreadable.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hakkesshu posted:

My thoughts exactly. I was really excited to start that series, but I find them practically unreadable.

I utterly disagree with this, but I do think it hurts the series as a whole that by far the worst written book in it is the first one. Mainly because it was written 10 years before all the others and Erikson clearly grew as a writer in that period.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

NmareBfly posted:

If Obsidian is required by divine (or infernal) contract to go with a fantasy setting I would like to officially request a Malazan RPG, thanks in advance.
The Black Company would be as good (or better).

Or this:

Wolfsheim posted:

I would say the only thing I want more is a Dragaera RPG

Drifter posted:

No poo poo? That's pretty cool I really enjoyed all those books when I was younger. I really also liked the ones where they took place in not-japan. It was a really nice change of pace from the standard fantasy Kings and Castles.
The reason those were more subtle and complex was the shockingly skilled co-writer. (Janny Wurts.) I would like to finish all five series of the ____war but the second one was such a dire slog (even when I was young) I have never managed to do it. The best part of the second set was the legionnaire-bootcamp book.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Scorchy posted:

Lake of drow tombs forever in my heart.

What is this a reference to? Was there a typo in early versions of the map?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

What is this a reference to? Was there a typo in early versions of the map?

The map was cropped and the "Lake of Drowned Tombs" location read like "Lake of Drow Tombs".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Not exactly. Part of the map was obscured so originally everyone thought the Lake Of Drowned Tombs said "Drow Tombs" until rope kid came in and clarified it.

EFB :argh:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AXE COP posted:

Guys.

Obsidian written RPG in the Morrowind setting.

I've been asking for Morrowind: New Vivec for ages.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Went to confirm my pledge and tossed in another 15 bucks for the World Almanac because I'm a sucker for lore dumps. It's absurd how such a simple gameplay teaser can get me this excited, I'm about to tear my pants here.

Not gonna read anything in-depth before actually playing the game though, so there'll be a better sense of mystery and I can oooh and ahhhh at all the cool stuff I come across.

I have to admit though, the title "Pillars of Eternity" sounds rather lackluster to me. I mean I'm sure it's a reference to some central plot/lore thing and will sound a lot better once I know what the hell it means, but as of now I can't help feeling it sounds like pretty generic fantasy ho-hum.

Oh and TES lore is the tits and I'll punch anyone who badmouths it. :mad: Obsidian getting their hands on it would be the coolest thing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Sadly though the Malazan mythology is wasted as a series of really badly written books, all the interesting stuff is buried under mountains and mountains of dense and turgid prose and the world-building is nearly always at odds with actual story-telling.

Yeah. Sigh. I tried the first book and I've pushed through two thirds of it when I've realized I was not going to read a single page more, ever. But apparently the first one was the worst one and from second on it was a masterpiece of fantasydom! Yeaaaaaah no. Didn't try the third one.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

kujeger posted:

Since we have Hel's Gate Citadel are you doing actual Norse gods or is it one of those ~~cosmic coincidence~~ things

if it's just because the word Hell comes from it, I vote you also use Odin's day instead of wednesday ingame :black101:
Hel is the Eld Aedyran word for The Beyond/The Veiled, i.e. the afterlife, which people associate with going down into the world.

All of the day names in the Dyrwood are Eld Aedyran (e.g. Godansdag, Rytlingsdag). All of the month names are Vailian (e.g. Majprima).

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

rope kid posted:

Hel is the Eld Aedyran word for The Beyond/The Veiled, i.e. the afterlife, which people associate with going down into the world.

Convenient that matches cleanly to the real world word for the part of the Christian afterlife that people typically associate with going down! :v:

(this is a joke, just so we're clear)

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

FRINGE posted:

The Black Company would be as good (or better).

Definitely agree to this. Black Company is amazing. Malazan is an interesting series, but it's so incredibly dense, you have no chance of understanding what's happening without consulting a wiki or reference guide.

Something like the Black Company is easy to translate into a game, too. Myth has a lot of similarities to it, for example, and it remains one of the best strategy games made.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

1stGear posted:

Convenient that matches cleanly to the real world word for the part of the Christian afterlife that people typically associate with going down! :v:

It's identical to the name of the Norse underworld too.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
Now that you're pretty substantially into the project how's the overall feeling about going with Unity?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I thought I would mention here that GOG is having a sale for 48h; you can grab Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics for free, NWN is at $4.99, NWN2 at 9.99$ and so on. Unfortunately IE games are apparently not part of the sale, and the website is totally overloaded at the moment.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also note that the Fallout games may very well be made unavailable later, so grab them while you can.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
I'll never understand people who want licensed titles over fresh IP :psyduck:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ravenfood posted:

Also note that the Fallout games may very well be made unavailable later, so grab them while you can.

Yeah, I can't even log on to gift it to myself and tomorrow I'll be in the plane all day. It's all RK's fault, he shouldn't have retweeted that offer. I'm retracting my PoE pledge because of this!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So I've seen a lot of 4E talk coming from Rope Kid, is this game basically going to be a love letter to 4E combat? I never really got into it, the classes felt very samey with the hyperstandardized mechanics, they felt like each class or set of classes was an overly-focused part of the skillset of a more complete character. "I use my power" "Oh, miniboss, I use my bigger power" "Oh, boss, time to blow all our dailies"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

coffeetable posted:

Nostalgia. Morrowind was an excellent game and had great locales with (in my opinion) mediocre story. People hope Obsidian could replicate the game and make the story much better. Personally I'd love a cyberpunk sequel to Alpha Protocol.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

It's identical to the name of the Norse underworld too.

And to the ancient greek one in concept as well!

Why, it's almost as if there are recurring themes with underworld myths throughout history :v:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Krowley posted:

Why, it's almost as if there are recurring themes with underworld myths throughout history :v:

Madness!

But just to be clear, I wasn't actually criticising just pointing out.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 12, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

coffeetable posted:

There's something to be said about iteration sometimes. The Hitman Series took multiple games before Blood Money really got the formula right. The Total War series usually takes a couple of games whenever they update their engine to get things nailed down.

Sometimes a good game series needs to be looked at a couple of times and the weak spots polished up over just doing something new and making all new mistakes.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

coffeetable posted:

"X was an interesting world that I'd like to explore more. I think another title set in X would allow me to do that in a satisfying manner if it's not made by idiot pissfuckers, because then the result would be Piss Garbage For Idiots, whereas the alternatives (which consist of what, writing fanfiction? :barf:) would not allow me to do that in a satisfying manner. Therefore I would like a Good Developer to make another title set in X."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

shovelbum posted:

So I've seen a lot of 4E talk coming from Rope Kid, is this game basically going to be a love letter to 4E combat? I never really got into it, the classes felt very samey with the hyperstandardized mechanics, they felt like each class or set of classes was an overly-focused part of the skillset of a more complete character. "I use my power" "Oh, miniboss, I use my bigger power" "Oh, boss, time to blow all our dailies"

4E played it relatively safe with the original PHB and went crazy immediately thereafter. If your experience with 4E pretty much consists of only at launch I wouldn't fault you too much for that impression but there are many different ways to acconplish the aims of a Defender, as an example. Fighters and Wardens fulfill the same basic role but don't play much alike at all.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Darkhold posted:

There's something to be said about iteration sometimes. The Hitman Series took multiple games before Blood Money really got the formula right. The Total War series usually takes a couple of games whenever they update their engine to get things nailed down.

Sometimes a good game series needs to be looked at a couple of times and the weak spots polished up over just doing something new and making all new mistakes.
Also, sometimes an IP can be a great idea but executed poorly. Oh look, there's a developer who doesn't necessarily have good ideas for IP dev but executes things really well! Lets combine the two and see what happens. There's also taking a great setting and trying to set it in a different genre of game (if we're talking about games only).

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

1stGear posted:

They're both stealing from the same source material.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

shovelbum posted:

And because I kind of glossed over it before...the second half of your impression is really a DM thing. If your DM structures things like a side scrolling beat em up where it is invariably trash trash boss rinse repeat then yeah your power selections are self evident. Narrative should keep you guessing however and you shouldn't be able to count on a "boss" being a single target to pile on.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 12, 2013

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Megazver posted:

Yeah. Sigh. I tried the first book and I've pushed through two thirds of it when I've realized I was not going to read a single page more, ever. But apparently the first one was the worst one and from second on it was a masterpiece of fantasydom! Yeaaaaaah no. Didn't try the third one.

I'd just like to add that the series, contrary to goonsay, actually got worse as it went on. Erikson got offered a ten book contract round about the time of the third or forth title and immediately lost any incentive to tell a structured, well paced story, instead we got chapters and chapters of brooding internal monologues and nonsense cod-philosophy and directionless subplots by the bucketload.

coffeetable posted:

I don't think people were saying the kickstarter should necessarily be a licensed title but Obsidian have taken on plenty of commission work in the past for other developers IPs and if by some comsic miracle, Bethesda actually hired Obsidian to produce a full budget TES title with reasonable creative freedom, we wouldn't lose sleep over it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

shovelbum posted:

Our class and ability designs are a blend of 3.5 and 4E-style elements with new stuff of our own. Combat uses unified defenses (like 4E) but differs in a lot of other ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Furism posted:

I thought I would mention here that GOG is having a sale for 48h; you can grab Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics for free, NWN is at $4.99, NWN2 at 9.99$ and so on. Unfortunately IE games are apparently not part of the sale, and the website is totally overloaded at the moment.

IWD2 is half price. Not sure of the others.

After about 20 mins of trying, I managed to get a purchase through.

• Locked thread