Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

rope kid posted:

Hel is the Eld Aedyran word for The Beyond/The Veiled, i.e. the afterlife, which people associate with going down into the world.

All of the day names in the Dyrwood are Eld Aedyran (e.g. Godansdag, Rytlingsdag). All of the month names are Vailian (e.g. Majprima).

Might have been answered elsewhere, but do you plan on putting up a dictionary/translation for Eld Aedyran?

(God's day? Rider's day?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

shovelbum posted:

So I've seen a lot of 4E talk coming from Rope Kid, is this game basically going to be a love letter to 4E combat? I never really got into it, the classes felt very samey with the hyperstandardized mechanics, they felt like each class or set of classes was an overly-focused part of the skillset of a more complete character. "I use my power" "Oh, miniboss, I use my bigger power" "Oh, boss, time to blow all our dailies"

While 4e has its own flaws it's better than the previous editions in many, many ways. If you had that experience with it then either you had a lovely DM or you were playing really early in the game's lifespan when things weren't quite nailed down yet.

v: it's a good thing classes don't play the same in 4e then!

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 12, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I haven't played 4e (no gaming groups :() but I got the impression that one thing that they're careful not to take from 4e is the sameness- they've been emphasizing that not all classes will play the same, just all be viable and reasonably effective.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Demiurge4 posted:

Nostalgia. Morrowind was an excellent game and had great locales with (in my opinion) mediocre story. People hope Obsidian could replicate the game and make the story much better. Personally I'd love a cyberpunk sequel to Alpha Protocol.

As a guy with a Morrowind avatar, I have the authority to declare this post Objectively Right.

Seriously, Obsidian has long been my last hope for the TES setting living up to its potential ever again, since the main franchise abandoned everything that made it unique.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

kujeger posted:

Might have been answered elsewhere, but do you plan on putting up a dictionary/translation for Eld Aedyran?

(God's day? Rider's day?)
Yeah, it will probably be included somewhere. I try to keep a running glossary for all of the terms and stems that we use.

Godansdag and Rytlingsdag are "Gods' Day" and "Children's Day".

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
I hope to never see an Obsidian game based on another company's IP ever again. Such a waste of talent.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Toadsniff posted:

I hope to never see an Obsidian game based on another company's IP ever again. Such a waste of talent.

South Park is quietly sobbing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I don't think people were saying the kickstarter should necessarily be a licensed title but Obsidian have taken on plenty of commission work in the past for other developers IPs and if by some comsic miracle, Bethesda actually hired Obsidian to produce a full budget TES title with reasonable creative freedom, we wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I still think the fact that New Vegas happened at all is a minor miracle. :3:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

rope kid posted:

Godansdag and Rytlingsdag are "Gods' Day" and "Children's Day".

So Eld Aedyran is faux-Middle Frisian?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

shovelbum posted:

So I've seen a lot of 4E talk coming from Rope Kid, is this game basically going to be a love letter to 4E combat? I never really got into it, the classes felt very samey with the hyperstandardized mechanics, they felt like each class or set of classes was an overly-focused part of the skillset of a more complete character. "I use my power" "Oh, miniboss, I use my bigger power" "Oh, boss, time to blow all our dailies"

Run. Run while you can. Tradgames is coming for you.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

So Eld Aedyran is faux-Middle Frisian?
Yeah, most of the vocabulary is based on early middle ages West Germanic languages like Old Frisian and Old English.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Toadsniff posted:

Nah. Even if they launch more crowd-funded projects, rejecting contract work would be a silly business decision. And there's plenty of room to shine with outside IP.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So where's today's half of the RPS interview with the Kickstarter news?

Ugh, those jerks.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Airfoil posted:

Nah. Even if they launch more crowd-funded projects, rejecting contract work would be a silly business decision. And there's plenty of room to shine with outside IP.

No I get it, what I'm saying is they get to that point where their own internally created IP's can carry their business for them.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Megazver posted:

So where's today's half of the RPS interview with the Kickstarter news?

Ugh, those jerks.

"503 - Service Unavailable"

So much awesome in the story the servers couldn't handle it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Toadsniff posted:

No I get it, what I'm saying is they get to that point where their own internally created IP's can carry their business for them.

Like Bioware did, but without selling out to EA.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

All this talk of future projects and IPs- Hell I just want to see obsidian go full-out colonial fantasy, not half-hearted like Pillars. Maybe a sequel for pillars of eternity set in the future. Enlightenment and tricorner hats and ruthless mercantile companies and powdered wigs or BUST. :allears:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

yo obsidian you should totes make Persona 6

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.
I've been thinking about the whole "one companion of each class" thing and the more I think about it the more I like it. This may have more than a little to do with the fact that 11 companions + Protagonist makes for a "Dirty Dozen".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Also if there is another NPC who isn't a party member but is crucial to the main story, you and your eleven buddies can be that person's disciples.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

None of the NPCs will be story critical

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Three more companions obviously means another writer, right ?

11 is a lot of work for 3 people (or maybe it's 4).

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Have we been told what the name of the other major playable city is? I was looking at the map trying to figure it out where it was.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Level Slide posted:

yo obsidian you should totes make Persona 6

Final Fantasy VI-2, an Obsidian Production.

Deep philosophical conversations with Gau.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Hand Row posted:

Have we been told what the name of the other major playable city is? I was looking at the map trying to figure it out where it was.

Twim Elms.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sensuki posted:

Three more companions obviously means another writer, right ?

11 is a lot of work for 3 people (or maybe it's 4).

Or more time from one of the current ones who may be being shared between projects.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Hand Row posted:

Twin Elms - there's a pile of art from it in Update 68.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Where is this news about the next Kickstarter? Didn't that RPS article come out two days ago??

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

epitasis posted:

Where is this news about the next Kickstarter? Didn't that RPS article come out two days ago??

There was a second on Wednesday, there was meant to be another yesterday (by which I mean by 9 minutes ago) which explained the new kickstarter, but it never came out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CottonWolf posted:

There was a second on Wednesday, there was meant to be another yesterday (by which I mean by 9 minutes ago) which explained the new kickstarter, but it never came out.

Hey c'mon. Those videogame journalists are pretty busy. It probably takes a lot of time to write your own articles (and quirky little color text, wot, m8?) when game PR companies won't do it for you.

I mean, you're talking anywhere from 3 to 7 whole paragraphs.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is the game world still supposed to be roughly the size of Spain? What's the difference between the shaded and unshaded symbols?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

CottonWolf posted:

It's not like they're going to spill the beans in any detail about their kickstarter before it launches. It's probably a line where Fergus says something like: "A second kickstarter? Well, it's definitely something we're investigating, and you'll here more from us in the future."

:siren: BREAKING NEWS! :siren:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

epitasis posted:

It's possible the writer jumped the gun on that detail and someone balked.

If the actual Kickstarter itself were being announced, you want to do that on Monday or maybe Tuesday, to catch the news cycle.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Is the game area still supposed to be roughly the size of Spain? What's the difference between the shaded and unshaded symbols?

If that's the case, then it should be about 500 miles from Godhammer Citadel to Ozia - or about 6 weeks walking. How is time going to be represented in game?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fintilgin posted:

It's not like they're going to spill the beans in any detail about their kickstarter before it launches. It's probably a line where Fergus says something like: "A second kickstarter? Well, it's definitely something we're investigating, and you'll here more from us in the future."

I don't know. Torment was heavily trailed beforehand, and that seemed to work out for them.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

coffeetable posted:

I'll never understand people who want licensed titles over fresh IP :psyduck:
I think it's that Obsidian is weirdly immune to the whole "licensed games suck" thing. In the end it doesn't really matter though. It's a bit like the old fallacy most comics fans have where they attach themselves to certain characters/franchises. A bad writer is going to write a bad story no matter what while a good writer can take even the lamest D-lister and write something entertaining.

The Sharmat posted:

As a guy with a Morrowind avatar, I have the authority to declare this post Objectively Right.

Seriously, Obsidian has long been my last hope for the TES setting living up to its potential ever again, since the main franchise abandoned everything that made it unique.
Morrowind felt more like an archeology simulator than anything. I spent most of my time reading books, exploring ruins, and tracking down NPCs to get infodumps and piece things together. It's not a bad thing (and I think more games should explore archeology as a storytelling device), but the time the game itself took place in felt rather static. It certainly fit with the game's themes of guilt, fatalism, and ancestral sin, but it would have worked a bit better if it were worked into narrative and character arcs instead of blocks of text. And if the gameplay hadn't sucked.

Also Kirkbride/Avellone giving TES one last shot at greatness is my favorite dream team that will never occur.

Tyrsell
Nov 5, 2008
Personally, I want a RPG based on ancient China (or one of their many stories and myths) that isn't the mediocre Bioware created Jade Empire.

There's so many rich stories that are untouched by Western developers from that area of the world.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Hopefully some of those stories and myths contain skeletons because there is a real dearth of them in Chinese media.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

CottonWolf posted:

RPS guy was probably too distracted by the Wasteland 2 backer beta to finish the article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Fintilgin posted:

It seems like this is the most likely, while this Kickstarter has certainly worked well for Obsidian, they might want to wait until PoE is further towards the door before talking about what's next (ala InXile with WL2 and ToN)

• Locked thread