Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Updates on my DT880's. The cable near the jack is faulty. If it wiggles to the right, the right phone goes out. Laaaame. Tested it on a bunch of different things too, so I'm sure it's the cable. Never had an issue with Beyer's build before today. :(

Oh well, guess I'm waiting another week. Was a pretty pleasant few hours though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone know of any Bluetooth IEM's that either only have one one IEM included, or can be separated and used with only one IEM at a time? I'd like to avoid getting a Bluetooth headset if I can, and I only really need a single ear IEM to pair with my phone to listen to podcasts at work.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anyone know of any Bluetooth IEM's that either only have one one IEM included, or can be separated and used with only one IEM at a time? I'd like to avoid getting a Bluetooth headset if I can, and I only really need a single ear IEM to pair with my phone to listen to podcasts at work.

Any of the style with the horseshoe that sits on your neck. Just leave one ear "docked" in the horseshoe. I'd probably opt for hacking one ear off a cheap wired pair, though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0131208163809:s

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That things seems worse than a headset though, as now you've got a big clunky thing hanging around your neck.

Just need something simple, similar to a headset, but cuts out all the phone stuff. Not sure if that sort of thing even exists.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The batteries and wireless hardware have to go somewhere.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, but it can certainly be more compact than the around the neck style.

I'm not adverse to using a headset, I was just hoping there was something with a similar form factor, but a little cheaper because it removed the phone-call abilities.

Imodium AD
Sep 11, 2001
wut?
My saga is complete (from this thread here)

I picked up a set of Sennheiser HD380pro. Still the only cans I've tried on that give my ears enough room to be comfortable. I can actually wiggle my ears inside without touching the headphone.

They're discontinued so instead of being $200 you can find them for as little as $140 online.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Shogunner posted:

Updates on my DT880's. The cable near the jack is faulty. If it wiggles to the right, the right phone goes out. Laaaame. Tested it on a bunch of different things too, so I'm sure it's the cable. Never had an issue with Beyer's build before today. :(

Oh well, guess I'm waiting another week. Was a pretty pleasant few hours though.

I see you have the 880s paired with a Bravo Ocean. While, they worked, how did you like the combo? I am debating a tube amp for my 600 ohm version and don't know which amp to choose. Hoping for something that pairs nicely with the 880s, and debating going Schiit Modi / Magni vs tube amp.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Bonobos posted:

I see you have the 880s paired with a Bravo Ocean. While, they worked, how did you like the combo? I am debating a tube amp for my 600 ohm version and don't know which amp to choose. Hoping for something that pairs nicely with the 880s, and debating going Schiit Modi / Magni vs tube amp.

Loved it. Take what I say with a grain of salt since the Ocean is my first tube amp, but poo poo, the 880s are so nice with the warmth the Ocean brings. Apparently the Ocean will sound better once I get a better tube so I just bought a NOS Lansdale 12au7 off eBay. Excited to try it out.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Okay so I got the Monster DNA Pro headphones and spent an hour with them. I would love to shelve these and never listen again. These are atrociously designed and I wouldn't recommend these to anyone. First problem is that the ear cups don't have enough flexibility to allow for the cups to form a seal unless you have a hugely wide head. We're talking making Audio Technica A900x fit snug width. Nothing in the headband allows for flexibility, just cheap plastic for looks so the pressure is almost fully applied to bottom portion of the pad while the top portion doesn't seal properly. Improper seal means air leaks, means bass leaks. The weird thing is that these are semi-open, or at least appear to be when I cup my hands around the earcups. I do this to block the air flow. These look closed in design, but obviously have vents leaking out if the bass tightens and the soundstage becomes more intimate when I've cupped my hands around the outside and applied no pressure.

Now to make matters worse, the headphones apply more pressure than they should on the top of my head than planar magnetics. I've got a mild headache from wearing these for less than an hour. I've taken the headphones off and the ear cups naturally settle angling upwards. I try to move the ear cup to make it more flush to smaller heads, nope they give a few centimeters in any direction. Your head would have to be very wide for these to sit flush at all.

Then they have a 3.5mm plug on both sides. You're supposed to use the left for entry while the right is for linking the headphones together. Never mind the fact that me linking my headphones to another person's headphones would be incredibly awkward and uncomfortable for any practical use. Never mind the fact that there are no manuals that explain this, I had to figure it from a picture. The real fact of the matter is, why would Monster expect anyone to have someone buy these and then recommend these to their friend, let alone have a friend who they would want to be so close to that they'd walk hand in hand while enjoying the same music, but ignoring any sort of conversation? Yes Monster, I want to by your $300 headphones that are made for those who have hugely wide heads, so that my girlfriend can buy the same pair and then link to me so I can share my tunes with her while I sit next to her and not conversate with her. Let's sit in silence with our headphones linked and enjoy the music together. Hell maybe my friend has the same headphones, yeah what we want to do is sit here listening to music together, but separate.

I could go on and on about the sound, the design and the build being atrocious, but the fit alone should deter at least 95% of the people in the world. Anyone who has ever said the Ad series from Audio Technica was too snug might find a proper fit here. Perhaps I'm supposed to actually use the headband to cover my eyes like that Star Trek character because wearing these in a ridiculous fashion gives a slightly better seal than worn normally, by any stretch.

These are without a doubt the worst full-sized headphones I've ever used. I don't even know if these will get a full review because they sound like Chinese rip-offs of a Chinese Beats rip-off. Congratulations Monster, you've managed to officially poo poo on the market with the worst full-sized headphones that I can imagine anyone would buy.

And this is the exact reason why Avoid Monster is in the OP. For every decent product they put out, they poo poo on consumers ten-fold.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 9, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Midorka posted:

Then they have a 3.5mm plug on both sides. You're supposed to use the left for entry while the right is for linking the headphones together. Never mind the fact that me linking my headphones to another person's headphones would be incredibly awkward and uncomfortable for any practical use. Never mind the fact that there are no manuals that explain this, I had to figure it from a picture. The real fact of the matter is, why would Monster expect anyone to have someone buy these and then recommend these to their friend, let alone have a friend who they would want to be so close to that they'd walk hand in hand while enjoying the same music, but ignoring any sort of conversation? Yes Monster, I want to by your $300 headphones that are made for those who have hugely wide heads, so that my girlfriend can buy the same pair and then link to me so I can share my tunes with her while I sit next to her and not conversate with her. Let's sit in silence with our headphones linked and enjoy the music together. Hell maybe my friend has the same headphones, yeah what we want to do is sit here listening to music together, but separate.

I don't question the rest of your review nor that this might be confusingly implemented, but the idea behind this doesn't seem all that weird to me.

How is this any different in function from using a headphone splitter (aside from the fact that the other person would have to be plugged into your head)?

Actually, now that I'm considering the logistics of someone plugging a set of headphones into the earcup of another person's headphones, the intended setup does seem pretty pants.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That things seems worse than a headset though, as now you've got a big clunky thing hanging around your neck.

Just need something simple, similar to a headset, but cuts out all the phone stuff. Not sure if that sort of thing even exists.

I have the LG HBS 730 (newer model of that) and I often forget I'm wearing it. It's very lightweight. You won't realize you're wearing it until it vibrates your collarbone when you get a call.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I don't question the rest of your review nor that this might be confusingly implemented, but the idea behind this doesn't seem all that weird to me.

How is this any different in function from using a headphone splitter (aside from the fact that the other person would have to be plugged into your head)?

Actually, now that I'm considering the logistics of someone plugging a set of headphones into the earcup of another person's headphones, the intended setup does seem pretty pants.

It's not much different, you're right, but I feel that it's a design that seems weird to even bother with. You are right though, I may have been a bit over the top harsh on that. I'm mostly really pissed about how poorly these fit. You really need a wide head to get a good seal at all.

The sound is worse than stuff like the Superlux HD681 Evo though.

Tilda
Jun 27, 2013
Can anybody recomend a decent headset and mic combo then? OP just seems to focus on headsets only.
At the moment I have a weird UK set that I got that has a base station that lets my speakers plug in too, so I can switch between speakers/headset at the touch of a button (can I do this in windows?).

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Soooo incase anyone was wondering, Beyer has ALL the spare parts available via their phoneline. You can order them individually too. Just got the front left plastic bit for the sliders on my 770s since there was a crack. 2bux.

Also, retarded pimp, I'll do that comparison later today.

edit: retarded pimp, i forgot, finals and poo poo

:negative:

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 10, 2013

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Shogunner posted:

Soooo incase anyone was wondering, Beyer has ALL the spare parts available via their phoneline. You can order them individually too. Just got the front left plastic bit for the sliders on my 770s since there was a crack. 2bux.

That's great to know! I think I'll be sticking with Beyerdynamic for quite some time. Enjoying my DT990s.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Shogunner posted:

What's the process like? I have a broken DT280 that I'd love to fix, but when I pursued parts via email I gave up and shoved the headset in a closet.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Just call 1(631)293-3200 (if youre in the us) and dial the repairs etc extension and tell them what you need. Most of their stuff is available on their site but if there is something not listed there, I'd assume they'll have it in stock considering the part I got. Then you just do an over the phone order.

I'd hope it's probably the same experience in other countries too.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Forgot to bump that one SA Mart thread with the headphones, so I've got them in a new thread with some other stuff. If you're looking for a great pair of Sennheiser HD 598s for $175 shipped check em out at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593231.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Had a pair of those cheap MEElectronics IEMs for a while. They were great when they worked, but I had this constant issue where the left one would shift somehow, and I wouldn't hear it any more. It would still be sealed, but I just wasn't getting anything out of it. This wasn't a cord issue or anything, just something about how it fit.

Is this something foam tips could solve? I thought it was weird it was only the left ear. Want to pick up a new pair of IEMs, but I'm afraid I'll just have the same problem.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

It's possible, tips are cheap so why not try some different ones. Monster Turbine shaped IEM's have always been tough to get a good seal and not have the sound port blocked at the same time for me. I've tried about a dozen different tips and so far the ones that seem to work the bet for me are these.
http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=33
The hole's wide enough to not get blocked and they insert deep enough to make a seal. I'm not saying they'll work for you, just giving an example.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Anyone tried DeciBullz pliable ear molds yet? Impressions?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Any one here have a Schiit Valhalla and care to comment on it?

I am looking for a OTL tube amp for my 600ohm dt880s (OTL tubes seem to be recommended by HeadFi) and this one does look awesome. Any reason this would be a bad amp for my setup?

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
I recently discovered that my Sennheiser HD280 pro headphones have a cable slowly breaking near the jack. So I need a recommendation on replacement.

Usage: I am a drummer, these are my hearing protection basically. But, in addition to that I have them plugged into a mackie mixer where I mix back in my drums via mic, and I can mix in some tunes to play along with, but at reasonable levels. I will use these to do some recording as well.

I'm looking for a recommendation on either big closed headphones that aren't too heavy so I can move around decently, or better yet some sort of in ear monitors. I haven't tried IEMs yet, but I am really interested. Budget, let's say around 150$ - which may be cost prohibitive on decent IEMs, I don't know. I would like actual fit in the ear/molded IEMs if I go that route.

Feel free to suggest away.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Hey, just window shopping for new quality headphones I want to replace my ailing Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones with.

Budget - $300-$500
Source - Desktop PC mostly, sometimes Nintendo 3DS or HTC EVO 4G smartphone; mostly gaming and music (I have a separate headset dedicated to gaming already, but sound positioning is a nice plus)
Isolation Requirements - Yes, very much preferred; I live with roommates and prefer high isolation to avoid being distracted by outside noise while listening to music or people around me listening in
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full Size, Circumaural; Over-the-ear, closed cans; for at home use only, so travel capability is not a factor
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm sort of a basshead, so definitely putting a premium on bass; I'm not an audiophile, but I would still like quality across the sound-range
Past Headphones - Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable; Definitely enjoyed how crisp and clear the sound was across the board, but the bass could be stronger for my tastes; also, the cans are popping sometimes on the left side, which is distracting; definitely want a solid upgrade over the ATH-M50 for my next headphones, at the very least
Preferred Music - classic rock/jam bands, metal, electronica, dubstep, chiptune, jazz, dub/reggae

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 12, 2013

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
So I just picked up V-Moda Crossfade LPs on an Amazon deal a few days back.
I've been using Sennheiser HD380s for a few months, and while I have liked the sound and the actual cup size on my ears, the plastic headband doesn't seem to wear well and the clamping force makes them relatively uncomfortable.

Meanwhile, I'm finding the LPs incredibly comfortable, but I'm having a hard time deciding which I like more. It's a shame because appeasing the wife means keeping only one pair. :cry:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Hey, folks. Apologies for the drive-by, but I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 595s for $120 in SA Mart not getting any attention. I'd love for these to go to a good home.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

shymog posted:

It's a shame because appeasing the wife means keeping only one pair. :cry:

Having one set of phones within a given "tier" or price bracket is generally a good idea because I'd much rather have multiple headphones that each have their own niches and uses than two phones that do 95% the same thing but are marginally better in different ways (this is barring stuff like the differences between bass heavy or closed phones and "airy" or open phones that are noticeably better with different genres of music and different listening environments).

At the same time, there's something to be said for occasionally going "up yours, wife" and doing what you'd like. It's not like either of the headphones are particularly expensive anyway.

Like, I definitely appreciate cost consciousness and sticking to budgets and all that, but this thread is just full of people (myself included) agonizing about poo poo all the time. This hobby's supposed to be about fun and escaping life's headaches, not giving yourself more poo poo to stress over. Follow your bliss man.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 12, 2013

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

At the same time, there's something to be said for occasionally going "up yours, wife" and doing what you'd like. It's not like either of the headphones are particularly expensive anyway.

Like, I definitely appreciate cost consciousness and sticking to budgets and all that, but this thread is just full of people (myself included) agonizing about poo poo all the time. This hobby's supposed to be about fun and escaping life's headaches, not giving yourself more poo poo to stress over. Follow your bliss man.

I think I'm just going to stop stressing and sell the Sennheiser HD380s. They don't seem to be clearcut winners in any way, they seem to be a bit more punchy with low bass than the Crossfades but less punchy in the mid. There's nothing they do that really sets them apart, I guess.

Agonizing aside, is there anyone with VSonic GR07 Mk2s that has found good foam ear tips for them? I have Comply T-400 foamies that sorta/kinda fit with some stretch work but they very occasionally push in weird ways or separate from the IEMs as I'm pulling them out, which is totally not fun.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Hey, just window shopping for new quality headphones I want to replace my ailing Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones with.

Budget - $300-$500
Source - Desktop PC mostly, sometimes Nintendo 3DS or HTC EVO 4G smartphone; mostly gaming and music (I have a separate headset dedicated to gaming already, but sound positioning is a nice plus)
Isolation Requirements - Yes, very much preferred; I live with roommates and prefer high isolation to avoid being distracted by outside noise while listening to music or people around me listening in
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full Size, Circumaural; Over-the-ear, closed cans; for at home use only, so travel capability is not a factor
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm sort of a basshead, so definitely putting a premium on bass; I'm not an audiophile, but I would still like quality across the sound-range
Past Headphones - Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable; Definitely enjoyed how crisp and clear the sound was across the board, but the bass could be stronger for my tastes; also, the cans are popping sometimes on the left side, which is distracting; definitely want a solid upgrade over the ATH-M50 for my next headphones, at the very least
Preferred Music - classic rock/jam bands, metal, electronica, dubstep, chiptune, jazz, dub/reggae

I would also be interested in the responses to this request. Mad Dogs maybe?

Inertiatic
Apr 9, 2004

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Budget - $300-$500

This is almost identical to a post I was going to make. Would also love some recommendations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
This series of threads has been good to me in the past, so I'm coming back for some help:

I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to the Zune Premium Headphones for my Zune. I love these headphones so much that I've been dealing with my half-shot pair while hitting the elliptical at the gym, but they are now to the point where I can't hear anything out of the right earbud, and need a replacement around the $25 range.

I couldn't find any hardware specs on the headphones, but I love everything about them: They're comfortable and the frequency response on them is clear on everything I listen to: It's not overly bass heavy, but they are loud, crisp, clear, and have nice isolation. The problem is that they are too expensive for my taste nowadays after I somehow nabbed a pair off of eBay for around $20 a couple of years ago.

Budget - Less than $30.
Source - My Zune and iPhone.
Isolation Requirements - Yes. Will be using these at the gym 95% of the time.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Earbuds or IEMs from what I can see in the OP.
Preferred Tonal Balance - This is hard to explain. I want a quality set of headphones that have a meaty, "full" sound as opposed to the weak, tinny sound most cheap headphones have.
Past Headphones - See above about my feelings of the Zune Premium Headphones. Everything about them was perfect.
Preferred Music - A little bit of everything, but mostly punk rock, metal, and classic rock.

So do you guys think I can get earbuds like the Zune premo earbuds for around $20 so I don't have to pay +$60 for another pair?

Edit: Another thing I forgot to mention is that these headphones have to be durable and have a tight fit in my ear. I really get into my music and have a tendency to headbang a bit. :) Despite that, the Zune Headphones managed to stay in my ear for most of my workout and only slip out of my ear a couple times during a 50-minute run depending on the intensity of my run, the music, or both.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 13, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Charles Martel posted:

This series of threads has been good to me in the past, so I'm coming back for some help:

I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to the Zune Premium Headphones for my Zune. I love these headphones so much that I've been dealing with my half-shot pair while hitting the elliptical at the gym, but they are now to the point where I can't hear anything out of the right earbud, and need a replacement around the $25 range.

I couldn't find any hardware specs on the headphones, but I love everything about them: They're comfortable and the frequency response on them is clear on everything I listen to: It's not overly bass heavy, but they are loud, crisp, clear, and have nice isolation. The problem is that they are too expensive for my taste nowadays after I somehow nabbed a pair off of eBay for around $20 a couple of years ago.

Budget - Less than $30.
Source - My Zune and iPhone.
Isolation Requirements - Yes. Will be using these at the gym 95% of the time.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Earbuds or IEMs from what I can see in the OP.
Preferred Tonal Balance - This is hard to explain. I want a quality set of headphones that have a meaty, "full" sound as opposed to the weak, tinny sound most cheap headphones have.
Past Headphones - See above about my feelings of the Zune Premium Headphones. Everything about them was perfect.
Preferred Music - A little bit of everything, but mostly punk rock, metal, and classic rock.

So do you guys think I can get earbuds like the Zune premo earbuds for around $20 so I don't have to pay +$60 for another pair?

Edit: Another thing I forgot to mention is that these headphones have to be durable and have a tight fit in my ear. I really get into my music and have a tendency to headbang a bit. :) Despite that, the Zune Headphones managed to stay in my ear for most of my workout and only slip out of my ear a couple times during a 50-minute run depending on the intensity of my run, the music, or both.

MeElectronics M6/M6p

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Agatsu posted:

Usage: I am a drummer, these are my hearing protection basically.

Sorry to see you didn't get any recommendations yet. I'll just chime in to say that if you were able to up your budget a bit and get custom-molded tips, you'd never go back to big clunky over-ears again. The comfort and isolation will be worth it. I don't think you'd need to overspend on the 'phones themselves, since any sound quality issues would be partially masked by the sound of your own drumming. Molding is always expensive though, check with local audiologists what they'd charge and what brands they offer. See if they offer a warranty on the fit. You could hypothetically upgrade the drivers later if you're not 100% happy with how they sound.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Thought about a BT adapter + whatever IEM (whether a short mono one or just cut off a stereo set)?

Just happened to drop by the thread cause I saw that Best Buy has this Sony one (w/headphones) on sale for $35 right now (well black, orange, and turquoise at least, while white and pink are still $50). They're reviewed pretty well on Amazon, here's a review by PCMag. Stereo might make it a problem for one ear listening without specifically a mono headphone. Don't know what you have, but on the iPhone at least you can just set it to mono/shift balance one way to get around that.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Molding is always expensive though, check with local audiologists what they'd charge and what brands they offer. See if they offer a warranty on the fit. You could hypothetically upgrade the drivers later if you're not 100% happy with how they sound.

There are user-pliable molds out there for ~$15 that I'm really wondering about. It's more idle curiosity than anything, but that would be cool if they worked in any acceptable fashion.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

I would also be interested in the responses to this request. Mad Dogs maybe?

I love the Mad Dogs, but they don't have the low-end bass presence he's looking for unfortunately.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Budget - $300-$500

I've already recommended the Shure SRH1540 once in the short time since I got them, and I'm gonna do it again here because they fit all of your criteria. They're at the upper end of your budget but within, and they're closed backed circumaural cans with strong isolation and excellent comfort. Bass is definitely north of neutral and has a strong presence, but it manages not to overwhelm the mids or get boomy. They sound smooth yet detailed overall, and should fit the genres you mention well. If you get a chance to try some out it's definitely worth a shot.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Have I mentioned how much I hate Head-Fi lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

grack posted:

Have I mentioned how much I hate Head-Fi lately?
No, what have they done this time?