Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is going to sound silly because well duh but make sure you upgrade your weapons/armor when you find new towns in Celceta. I guess I was thrown a bit by how the main town has separate item/weapon shops but the other towns seem to combine them; just wasn't paying attention. Probably could have made my life a little bit easier in the Ancient Burrow had I bothered to get new equipment.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I just played through all the Ys games currently on steam, and I'm glad I did, especially since I hadn't even heard of the series when I was a kid.
Started with Oath -> Origins -> Ys I -> Ys II

The basic thing I took away is that Yunica is by far the best character in the series, who cares about this boring Adol guy :)

I enjoyed Origins the most, overall. Very directed and linear, but I thought it worked well. Bosses got easy towards the end, but the basic act of hitting things was the most fun in this game.
Oath seemed competent, and the bosses were fun and demanding, but the story and characters seemed really uninteresting to me.

Actually playing Ys I was kind of a slog, and I'm glad I didn't start with that one. Ys II was really good all around, though.
Also, playing Ys I and II after origins, with a few months gap in between was a little strange. Kind of like reverse nostalgia although I'm sure for most people who played the older games first it was the opposite. Ys II especially, since it felt like it was finishing the story for both Ys I and Origins simultaneously.

I hope more of the games come to steam / pc because I'm not likely to pick up any of the handhelds, although I might now be tempted to at some point.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

animatorZed posted:

I just played through all the Ys games currently on steam, and I'm glad I did, especially since I hadn't even heard of the series when I was a kid.
Started with Oath -> Origins -> Ys I -> Ys II

The basic thing I took away is that Yunica is by far the best character in the series, who cares about this boring Adol guy :)

I enjoyed Origins the most, overall. Very directed and linear, but I thought it worked well. Bosses got easy towards the end, but the basic act of hitting things was the most fun in this game.
Oath seemed competent, and the bosses were fun and demanding, but the story and characters seemed really uninteresting to me.

Actually playing Ys I was kind of a slog, and I'm glad I didn't start with that one. Ys II was really good all around, though.
Also, playing Ys I and II after origins, with a few months gap in between was a little strange. Kind of like reverse nostalgia although I'm sure for most people who played the older games first it was the opposite. Ys II especially, since it felt like it was finishing the story for both Ys I and Origins simultaneously.

I hope more of the games come to steam / pc because I'm not likely to pick up any of the handhelds, although I might now be tempted to at some point.

Yunica is the best Ys protagonist, yeah. :hfive:. And overall, I really liked Orgins too. It's more streamlined than Oath, but since Ys is generally pretty linear it just serves to cut out the bullshit like not getting the quicktravel item until a third of the way through the game and having to run back to town to upgrade your items in the mean time.

Also agreeing that Ys 1 is pretty lackluster. It's kind of bizarre in that it's such a high-effort remake...but doesn't actually do anything to fix the gameplay problems, like the terrible wizard and vampire bosses. Or maxing out your level before you even enter Darm Tower, making all of the bosses feel unrewarding and normal enemies pointless. Which is weird, because Ys is generally really good about putting gameplay first, and Ys 2 is already doing a better job of making enemies react to the player and resembling the boss fights in the latter games from what I played.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

animatorZed posted:

This dude knows what's up.

Last Celebration posted:

Also agreeing that Ys 1 is pretty lackluster. It's kind of bizarre in that it's such a high-effort remake...but doesn't actually do anything to fix the gameplay problems, like the terrible wizard and vampire bosses. Or maxing out your level before you even enter Darm Tower, making all of the bosses feel unrewarding and normal enemies pointless. Which is weird, because Ys is generally really good about putting gameplay first, and Ys 2 is already doing a better job of making enemies react to the player and resembling the boss fights in the latter games from what I played.

I don't know what a not-lackluster version of Ys 1 would look like. I mean, you could fix the gameplay problems and tweak some numbers, but you're not going to fix the major problem: that it isn't Ys 2. Now if only Ys 2 had a map, it'd be perfect.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Surprised there's been so little Celceta discussion in here. Anyway, I finished it and it was good. I enjoyed Ys Seven but I sort of forgot most of it afterwards; Celceta felt like a much more refined iteration and I think it's one of the stronger entries into the franchise. I still think it's a bit too easy and still kind of miss having only Adol as a playable character. Maybe Falcom thinks they need a party system for handhelds. They also missed out by not having the final scene of the game be Dogi returning with a "Hey Adol, hope you didn't get into any trouble while I was gone!" The story was just begging to end on a note like that. The music was better this time around compared to Seven as well. My favorite probably being Seeking the Vanished Mask.

Time to take on Ys V so I can say I've played every game in the series :toot:

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Nate RFB posted:

Surprised there's been so little Celceta discussion in here. Anyway, I finished it and it was good. I enjoyed Ys Seven but I sort of forgot most of it afterwards; Celceta felt like a much more refined iteration and I think it's one of the stronger entries into the franchise. I still think it's a bit too easy and still kind of miss having only Adol as a playable character. Maybe Falcom thinks they need a party system for handhelds. They also missed out by not having the final scene of the game be Dogi returning with a "Hey Adol, hope you didn't get into any trouble while I was gone!" The story was just begging to end on a note like that. The music was better this time around compared to Seven as well. My favorite probably being Seeking the Vanished Mask.

Time to take on Ys V so I can say I've played every game in the series :toot:

I'm almost done with the game and overall, I agree that it's better than 7 is, but I'll see if playing 7 on Nightmare changes my mind. It's strange how the small details make such a difference. I felt that the skills were actually for the most part were a lot more useful across the board, making every character worth trying in the very least. You don't have to mine every drat corpse for SP anymore. Auto-charging is a huge relief on my right thumb. The exploration element is far greater than 7 since it's a far bigger map to explore with optional routes and dangerous Dragon's Dogma style encounters. Compare that to the pretty straight forward progression of 7's exploration. I also think that the combat benefits greatly from the addition of Flash Dodges and Aerial Combos. They do a great job of making them pretty useful overall, like how the angler fish boss generally pushes you to use FDs over parries to maximize damage. So, it gives a nice layer of strategy over whether you need meter, crits, an escape or enough time to get hits in.

My big issue, like you say is that the game can be a bit easy. I was playing this game on Nightmare and compared to 7 on Hard, the bosses can range from being a total joke, to pretty tough. This comes from the fact that the game too many abuseable systems. Being able to heal on the field was one thing, but they give you an item to heal while in dungeons as well, which is completely unnecessary. Parries end up being way too safe this time around. In 7, if you messed up the timing, you ate a guaranteed critical to the face. In this game, it doubles up as a guard as well, so you'll actually still end up pretty good even if you fail by taking guard damage instead. Of course, this doesn't always work out to your favor, because in Nightmare, there's some enemies that can still have moves that kill even in guard, but there's no reason not to parry every chance you get. And on top of that you get guaranteed criticals after that to give you a reason to choose it over FDs, so you can actually do a critical and let rip and extra move for absurd damage. You eventually get the ability to teleport to any rune stone at will, taking away the scare dungeon crawling. I like the idea of forging weaponry, but you can come up with some really broken weapons very fast. I like the new item exchange/refining system, but you can make tons of cash out of it very quickly. And probably my biggest gripe is that I don't know why they dropped the item restriction from 7 in the first place. I felt it worked well to making boss fights tense as you slowly run out of juice to get through a fight. There's a few times where I could power through fights spamming the many curatives I had.

I also think they missed a big opportunity with the Gale Shoes to make a really cool dungeon gimmick. They used it only twice and would've made for some cool little Sonic-styled setpieces.

Those small issues aside, it's a drat fun game, that does a great job of marrying character action games with ARPGs by stuffing it with tight mechanics. I just am a bit baffled that they go outta their way to make the game easier when it doesn't need to be. I can easily recommend this to anyone that has or wants a Vita. It's a drat good ARPG.

EDIT: Does anyone know what difficulty I should run on Ys I? I like a challenge, but the combat system doesn't look so hot. I tried running on Nightmare, but enemies take a huge beating and you die like in two hits. I don't think I'd have much fun playing the game like that, unless I'm missing something here?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wish the Gale Shoes were a passive item rather than something you'd equip. There's pretty much no segment that wouldn't be made better by having the ability to blast through them at 200 MPH, but I tended to equip that urn instead that gives you money because hey free money. Same thing with the artifact that lets you break rocks by tackling them; just have it be a passive upgrade that is always on so I don't have to keep going into the menu.

Did you try killing the Unicorn/Princess Mononoke thing in the east of the forest? I thought he was impossible, but he's actually quite easy to cheese if you're willing to retreat to heal up.

As for items, that's actually the main reason I think it's even easier than Seven. In Seven I did indeed have to use healing items on several boss fights, which at the time I felt made it too easy. But here? I didn't even need to use items for any of the boss fights. I guess I could have handicapped myself by unequipping either the Life Rings or Hero Cloaks (the accessory that gives you a boost depending upon how many enemies you've killed) I had, but I really hate it when games only become difficult when you intentionally make it harder on yourself.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Nate RFB posted:

I wish the Gale Shoes were a passive item rather than something you'd equip. There's pretty much no segment that wouldn't be made better by having the ability to blast through them at 200 MPH, but I tended to equip that urn instead that gives you money because hey free money. Same thing with the artifact that lets you break rocks by tackling them; just have it be a passive upgrade that is always on so I don't have to keep going into the menu.
Well, this can be applied to just about every item. I wasn't too wild about having to go into the menu for everything. Even for curatives, which I liked having a dedicated button for that in 7, as it kept things flowing faster.

quote:

Did you try killing the Unicorn/Princess Mononoke thing in the east of the forest? I thought he was impossible, but he's actually quite easy to cheese if you're willing to retreat to heal up.
I haven't yet, since I got the item there. I'll just wait until I'm further in the game and I'll definitely get rid of that bastard. Really wish they'd dropped idle healing.

quote:

As for items, that's actually the main reason I think it's even easier than Seven. In Seven I did indeed have to use healing items on several boss fights, which at the time I felt made it too easy. But here? I didn't even need to use items for any of the boss fights. I guess I could have handicapped myself by unequipping either the Life Rings or Hero Cloaks (the accessory that gives you a boost depending upon how many enemies you've killed) I had, but I really hate it when games only become difficult when you intentionally make it harder on yourself.

I felt that in 7, I had just the right amount of healing items for most bosses, since having a party member die negates their chance at getting experience and I didn't even play that in Nightmare. But it would've worked better had they just negated curatives completely instead for boss encounters, since I hear they did that in Oath and Origins, instead of trying to balance bosses based on what the player may or may not have.

As for this game, I dunno if you played it on Nightmare, but enemies and bosses in Nightmare do retarded damage, so it's not a cakewalk. It's just that broken items like Hero Cloaks, no item restrictions and forging your weapons and armor all add up to making things easier in their own way. I just wish that they would have at least had the foresight to have had some restrictions to these problems (or make it more expensive) in Nightmare mode in the very least instead just simply scaling health and damage values.

Proto Cloud fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 12, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Proto Cloud posted:

Well, this can be applied to just about every item. I wasn't too wild about having to go into the menu for everything. Even for curatives, which I liked having a dedicated button for that in 7, as it kept things flowing faster.
I can understand forcing the player to choose between the money urn, the healing cloak, and the thing that makes your Extra gauge rise up faster. Some like the transformation crown(?) and the dwarf bracelet you wouldn't want passively turned on all the time anyway. But dashing, breaking rocks, and being able to dive in water? Just leave 'em on. Switching between them just interrupts the gameplay.

quote:

But it would've worked better had they just negated curatives completely instead for boss encounters, since I hear they did that in Oath and Origins, instead of trying to balance bosses based on what the player may or may not have.
I could be wrong but I think all games besides Seven and Celceta do not allow you to nominally heal in boss battles (I think there is at least one battle in VI where you can heal yourself by intercepting a healing spell intended for the boss). The best you could do was equip an item that would revive you once. Since these games also had only Adol playable and smaller arenas, you had to really memorize the boss's patterns to survive because you had no wiggle room. With Seven and Celceta many boss fights are just you dashing around, flash stepping with a healthy dose of spamming skills. With more healing items at hand than you'll ever need.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You're definitely wrong about 6

You get tons of healing items and can use them on bosses.

Actually I can't remember about 5 for certain, you can definitely sit on a big pile of healing items, but I don't remember if you can even use them in boss fights or not because that game is so unbelievably insanely easy that I never had to.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Nate RFB posted:

I can understand forcing the player to choose between the money urn, the healing cloak, and the thing that makes your Extra gauge rise up faster. Some like the transformation crown(?) and the dwarf bracelet you wouldn't want passively turned on all the time anyway.
I could understand choosing between the money urn and Extra gauge up, but having to turn on the cloak for something that should activate anyway on idle isn't really necessary. The dwarf bracelet could've easily worked by just having a prompt instead. There's absolute zero reason to use in any situation outside of its intended dungeon usage unless you hate yourself enough to do a dwarf run or something to that nature.

quote:

I could be wrong but I think all games besides Seven and Celceta do not allow you to nominally heal in boss battles (I think there is at least one battle in VI where you can heal yourself by intercepting a healing spell intended for the boss). The best you could do was equip an item that would revive you once. Since these games also had only Adol playable and smaller arenas, you had to really memorize the boss's patterns to survive because you had no wiggle room. With Seven and Celceta many boss fights are just you dashing around, flash stepping with a healthy dose of spamming skills. With more healing items at hand than you'll ever need.

Well, another thing that they could have done was force your character to use an animation upon usage like they do in Monster Hunter or the Souls series. It would have at least given the game some element of risk involved and make stocking on cheap honey potions less of an option. It's funny because I ran into the same problem in Dragon's Dogma too. There's far too many abuseable systems in that game as well, there was no need to have spammed curatives outside of enemy tag team death combos.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Proto Cloud posted:

I could understand choosing between the money urn and Extra gauge up, but having to turn on the cloak for something that should activate anyway on idle isn't really necessary. The dwarf bracelet could've easily worked by just having a prompt instead. There's absolute zero reason to use in any situation outside of its intended dungeon usage unless you hate yourself enough to do a dwarf run or something to that nature.
The dwarf bracelet is really just dumb on its own, because the only thing it changes is that it makes you weaker for the segments you are forced to use it. Except you can just as easily dash away from enemies and not bother to fight them. It'd be a different story if you had to use it in some creative fashion at times, but there is a grand total of one puzzle that requires you to realize "oh, I need to shrink to get past this". As a result what would have substantially changed about those segments by leaving you full-sized? It kind of reminds of the pointless one-time-use items you'd get in recent Zelda games.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
I could have typed up more :words: but Proto Cloud's post got a lot of it. My main issue was that Nightmare was too easy with flash guard and unlimited items. 40 SP skills are also overpowered. You take almost no damage while using them so if you feel like you can't block a certain attack then they can act as a safety net. Enemies still do a ton of damage and I was pretty scared getting through certain dungeons so the challenge is definately there, it's just diminished by the abundance of crap at your disposal.

The party system in Ys is fun and I hope they keep using it. I love switching around and seeing who can deal with certain situations better. The problem is the characters seem a bit unbalanced in Celceta, it's mostly noticeable in boss fights. I used Karna for pretty much every boss. She's fast, has ranged normals, and a ranged 40 SP skill that is strong. Adol, Calilica, and Frieda are all good but they all have at least one flaw. Adol suffers from having a bad collection of skills, Callilica is too slow, and Frieda has to rely more on her ranged skills because her normal attack is kinda bad. Then there's Duren and Ozma. They both have really bad normal attacks, so bad that I'd rather just die and retry if either was the last party member. Ozma can at least do something because his skills are okay and he can buff defense. Duren has nothing going on. His best skills are still a waste of SP and he's incredibly slow. The differences between the characters probably become more of a personal preference on lower difficulties, that's just what I got from them on Nightmare.

There was a little too much story in certain points of the game(first arriving in Selray ugh) and then it's really lacking towards the end. It kinda doesn't matter because WHO CARES ADOL LOVES ADVENTURE. Either way, the game was amazing and probably my favorite in the series in terms of overall fun.

Proto Cloud posted:

I also think they missed a big opportunity with the Gale Shoes to make a really cool dungeon gimmick. They used it only twice and would've made for some cool little Sonic-styled setpieces.

Yeah this really stuck out for me, too. I think they made too much game and didn't have time to give them more attention. :(

Proto Cloud posted:

EDIT: Does anyone know what difficulty I should run on Ys I? I like a challenge, but the combat system doesn't look so hot. I tried running on Nightmare, but enemies take a huge beating and you die like in two hits. I don't think I'd have much fun playing the game like that, unless I'm missing something here?

Nightmare for Ys I is complete crap. There are so many unfair parts where I was constantly wondering if I was missing something and I wasn't. Certain boss fights make no sense, like they didn't even test them out. Only play it on nightmare if you hate yourself and want to spend forever finishing it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hated playing as Ozma, because for lack of a better term he seems to "commit" too strongly into his normal attacks. So many times I would line up a shot and he'd lunge forward only to miss. His spear has seemingly a very small hitbox and you really need to have sort of a running start to make sure you are lined up just right before hitting Square. I found everyone else to be more or less equally good, though I didn't play on Nightmare which might have changed things.

That reminds me, god would I have loved some way to switch party members outside of the three you were running with on the fly. I hated having to go back into the menu for that. I don't know, get rid of guarding and make Triangle bring up a little menu that allows you to swap your current character with one of your back-ups. Or do something more with the rear touch screen (which actually was quite responsive/useful in its use of setting party tactics).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I have been listening to Ys music for almost 20 years

I have never played an Ys game :v:

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
^^

I honestly had no issues playing with Ozma outside of his incredibly lousy normals, because I felt his skills were far too good. Crag spear with its range and juggle ability is retarded, you got DEF buff and Crag Burst which is ridiculously strong and has a retarded AoE. Problem is that once Frieda comes into play, she has an even bigger selection of dumb skills at her disposal that basically mimick Ozma's only that she is overall better in every way, except that instead of DEF, it's STR buff and of course trait. Though, I never felt he was as crap as I felt the Hammer Family was in Seven.

Latte Lottie posted:

I could have typed up more :words: but Proto Cloud's post got a lot of it. My main issue was that Nightmare was too easy with flash guard and unlimited items. 40 SP skills are also overpowered. You take almost no damage while using them so if you feel like you can't block a certain attack then they can act as a safety net.
I dunno why they made it so that you take less damage during a move. It just pushes you to keep spamming skills, which are cheap to use and only get cheaper as you get some really broken items.

quote:

The party system in Ys is fun and I hope they keep using it. I love switching around and seeing who can deal with certain situations better. The problem is the characters seem a bit unbalanced in Celceta, it's mostly noticeable in boss fights. I used Karna for pretty much every boss. She's fast, has ranged normals, and a ranged 40 SP skill that is strong. Adol, Calilica, and Frieda are all good but they all have at least one flaw. Adol suffers from having a bad collection of skills, Callilica is too slow, and Frieda has to rely more on her ranged skills because her normal attack is kinda bad. Then there's Duren and Ozma. They both have really bad normal attacks, so bad that I'd rather just die and retry if either was the last party member. Ozma can at least do something because his skills are okay and he can buff defense. Duren has nothing going on. His best skills are still a waste of SP and he's incredibly slow. The differences between the characters probably become more of a personal preference on lower difficulties, that's just what I got from them on Nightmare.
I will agree on Calilica and Adol.

I've already mentioned Ozma. As for Duren, I didn't have issues with his normals, but his skills are useful for one thing and that's juggles. He's probably the only guy that can juggle big enemies using Jaw Breaker, Phoenix Kick and Cyclone Kick. Using combinations of those, you can lock down some bigger enemies. The problem here is that I find the juggle system inconsistent and it's hard to tell who you can/can't juggle outside of lightweight-class enemies. There's also the Chaos buff, but that's needlessly dangerous, especially for boss encounters, unless you're feeling yourself.

Yeah, but it's no surprise like last time around that the ranged characters are easily the best ones, yet again. They don't do much to make her a glass cannon or do far less damage than the rest of the cast. And yeah, Napalm Bomb is ridiculously good.

quote:

Nightmare for Ys I is complete crap. There are so many unfair parts where I was constantly wondering if I was missing something and I wasn't. Certain boss fights make no sense, like they didn't even test them out. Only play it on nightmare if you hate yourself and want to spend forever finishing it.
So, hard is the way to go then?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I keep thinking about how much I would loving love a Secret of Mana remake or sequel using the Ys7/C engine.

Proto Cloud posted:

So, hard is the way to go then?

Definitely. The YsI remake is all weird and janky to begin with. Hard hits the difficulty curve about right. Honestly I feel like Hard is usually the right difficulty for almost every Ys game, Nightmare tends to get to the tedious point of the difficulty curve (bosses just take way too loving long to kill) in almost every one. And they rarely introduce new patterns after Hard.

YsI is basically the prologue chapter for YsII anyway, it's just a brief warmup for how loving awesome YsII is.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 12, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Edit: Uhg double post.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

victrix posted:

I have been listening to Ys music for almost 20 years

I have never played an Ys game :v:

Hit me up next Steam sale and I might be able to fix that.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Proto Cloud posted:

I've already mentioned Ozma. As for Duren, I didn't have issues with his normals, but his skills are useful for one thing and that's juggles. He's probably the only guy that can juggle big enemies using Jaw Breaker, Phoenix Kick and Cyclone Kick. Using combinations of those, you can lock down some bigger enemies. The problem here is that I find the juggle system inconsistent and it's hard to tell who you can/can't juggle outside of lightweight-class enemies. There's also the Chaos buff, but that's needlessly dangerous, especially for boss encounters, unless you're feeling yourself.

Yeah, but it's no surprise like last time around that the ranged characters are easily the best ones, yet again. They don't do much to make her a glass cannon or do far less damage than the rest of the cast. And yeah, Napalm Bomb is ridiculously good.

I was actually talking specifically about boss fights. All of the characters can do just fine against normal enemies if you use them correctly. I still played mostly with Karna/Adol/Frieda. Frieda is really good if you give her SP reducing accessories.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Definitely. The YsI remake is all weird and janky to begin with. Hard hits the difficulty curve about right. Honestly I feel like Hard is usually the right difficulty for almost every Ys game, Nightmare tends to get to the tedious point of the difficulty curve (bosses just take way too loving long to kill) in almost every one. And they rarely introduce new patterns after Hard.

YsI is basically the prologue chapter for YsII anyway, it's just a brief warmup for how loving awesome YsII is.

Yep, go with hard for Ys I and II. But I actually feel like nightmare is the right difficulty for Ys7 and Celceta, having three characters to use just makes it seem that way. Or I might just be crazy from playing all the other games on Nightmare.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

Hit me up next Steam sale and I might be able to fix that.

That'd be cool, I'm not sure if I have anything to gift back at the moment: http://steamcommunity.com/id/victrix/

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

victrix posted:

That'd be cool, I'm not sure if I have anything to gift back at the moment: http://steamcommunity.com/id/victrix/

Don't sweat it. I'm getting paid around christmas and the games usually end up as flash sales at some point. I can't afford to do this often, but a copy or so of origin isn't about to set me back. Just don't let me forget when it comes around to it.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
Since I'm here anyway, is TitS worth it? I heard it's more story-heavy and the gameplay isn't as exciting as Ys.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not an action-RPG at all, just a standard turn-based RPG, but I liked the story a lot and the gameplay was fun in its way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like what little I've played of it but the "you have to use a guide or talk to literally every NPC in the game" thing is turning me off playing more of it, at least until the second part comes out.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I like what little I've played of it but the "you have to use a guide or talk to literally every NPC in the game" thing is turning me off playing more of it, at least until the second part comes out.

The journal pretty much always tells you where you need to go for the main story and side quests. I swear you are talking about a different game.

e: Story is great, combat is kinda dated. It's turn based and doesn't have many fancy features, but you don't really have to fight many random battles. Practically none after you get certain skills.

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 12, 2013

Wendell
May 11, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Why does the sequel coming out change this anyway?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Latte Lottie posted:

The journal pretty much always tells you where you need to go for the main story and side quests. I swear you are talking about a different game.

I even asked about this in another thread. There are hidden sidequests which are necessary to get BP but are not marked on the quest board, so the only way to find them is to know they are there or to talk to NPCs until it triggers. If I'm wrong about this then I'd certainly welcome clarification but everything I've seen or heard suggests this is the case.

Wendell posted:

Why does the sequel coming out change this anyway?

Because I'm more willing to dedicate the time to dealing with stupid missable stuff when I'm not going to be dealing with a "to be continued" at the end anyway.Someone else might not be willing to dedicate the time at all so I figure it is worth mentioning.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 12, 2013

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I even asked about this in another thread. There are hidden sidequests which are necessary to get BP but are not marked on the quest board, so the only way to find them is to know they are there or to talk to NPCs until it triggers. If I'm wrong about this then I'd certainly welcome clarification but everything I've seen or heard suggests this is the case.

Oh, yeah I remember a few of those. I just did them if I happened to stumble across them.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Is Ys 6 good? What would be the best way to get / play it right now?
The OP image looks like a PC game, but its not on steam and searching for it on amazon only has a PS2 and a PSP version.

I'll probably pick up Ys 7 since I do have a barely used PSP, for which the only games I own are FFT and ZHP.

If the PSP version of 6 is good I could pick that one up as well, although the only new copies seem way overpriced and I don't usually like buying used.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

animatorZed posted:

The OP image looks like a PC game, but its not on steam and searching for it on amazon only has a PS2 and a PSP version.

I'll probably pick up Ys 7 since I do have a barely used PSP, for which the only games I own are FFT and ZHP.

If the PSP version of 6 is good I could pick that one up as well, although the only new copies seem way overpriced and I don't usually like buying used.

The PC version of 6 has an unofficial translation patch, but it was localized in the West for PS2 and PSP only.

Personally, I bought the PC version from Falcom's site and patched it with a translation, but not everyone can do this.

It's not the best one, but it's definitely good. If you ever played OiF or Origin, the engine used for those games (the 'Napishtim engine') originated with this game so it might feel dated.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

animatorZed posted:

The PS2 version of Ys 6 was a really weird port done by Konami that adds a lot of weird and unnecessary stuff. I've heard the PSP port was pretty bad (being Falcom's first PSP port), and had really long load times, so I'd avoid that. There is a translation patch of the PC version out if you can get your hands on a copy of that, but that version never got an official English release.

Really, I'm just holding out hope that Xseed brings it over to Steam once they finish off TitS.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

animatorZed posted:

The easiest way to play it is on the PS2 (just make sure you input the code to turn on "PC mode" to change the voices and cutscenes). It will probably eventually find its way to Steam though.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Thanks for the info, all.

I'll probably wait for a potential future steam version then, since I'm in no rush and don't feel like jumping through any hoops.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Isn't there some kind of issue though with 6? I remember hearing XSEED can't use the Konami translation but I don't know how much of a hindrance that would be in getting the PC version on Steam if they use the fan translation.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

I've heard the PSP port was pretty bad (being Falcom's first PSP port), and had really long load times, so I'd avoid that.

That's a fuckin' understatement. Maybe I've been playing speedy games all my life, but Ys 6 on the PSP has the longest load times I've ever seen in 20+ years of playing games.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I was taken aback when I played 6 on PSP after playing Felghana and chronicles. It's slow as balls in everything and I got super lost early on.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So I started playing Xanadu Next. Pretty enjoyable, although I am super stuck at this part here:

Can anyone that's played this help a brother out?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

With Celceta out I powered through it/VI/SEVEN(I had finished the first three earlier, but stopped to wait for Celceta to come out). Sorry but Adol is the best protagonist :colbert:. I just love being this random dude with a sword who's super-hype about adventure and manages to fight way, WAY above his weight class and kills gods on a monthly basis. Plus the villains acting all smug gets increasingly hilarious the more games in the series you play. Dude I just killed the CONCEPT OF MAGIC last week what the hell do you think you're going to accomplish here.

I will agree about his skill collection in SEVEN/Celceta being really weird, but I don't think it's bad per-say. His early skills do suck hard but later ones tend to be incredible(Pentagram/Aura Fencer are fantastic, as well as the sword-rain style moves and the spin-attacks). I used him pretty much exclusively on Hard in both games and had no problems, though I guess Nightmare is a whole other ball game. I'll agree about Karna being broken as hell though, SEVEN's ranged characters tended to be super-fragile to make up for their advantage but she doesn't really have that. Duren I kept around because he was always in the party anyway but yeah he wasn't really great until he got DRAGON KICK, destroyer of worlds. I kept Dogi in the party in SEVEN because I'm not the worst person ever. The only character I didn't really like in either game was Ozma(fighting-wise), though I admit I never really gave him a chance. In my defence his moveset seems super-lame at first glance.

Of the two I'd say SEVEN was better, but Celceta is still fantastic. They both seemed to have that weird perfect YS difficulty where I beat the boss just as I ran out of healing items/almost died. I'm pretty sure that's more because I suck, but still.

There's now this glaring Ys-shaped hole in my life now that I have nothing left to play :negative:. I guess I'll be back for the inevitable V remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So I started playing Xanadu Next. Pretty enjoyable, although I am super stuck at this part here:

Can anyone that's played this help a brother out?

You can push boxes up half broken boxes, then hit it once to make it into a stair and climb up. It's been a while so I don't remember if there's anything else to it.

• Locked thread