Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

santisimamuerte
Dec 4, 2007
Kio okazas, homoj?
To each his own, I suppose, but if I worked for hours writing a radio show and people had a tendency to fall asleep halfway through it, I'd be annoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bettsta
Jul 21, 2008
I find myself sometimes falling asleep to NVR as well. I have a ridiculously hard time focusing on one thing at a time (I'm that awful person who insists on fiddling with their phone while watching TV) so I like listening when all the lights are out and I all can focus on are Cecil's words. If I fall asleep during an episode, I'll listen to it again the next night. It's kind of neat to be listening to a portion where I was sort of on the verge of being asleep, so it feels kind of uncannily familiar.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Tickets are already on sale for Phoenix, and tickets for late shows in Seattle, Portland, and SF go on sale in 20 minutes.

(Tickets also still available for San Diego, Las Vegas, and Thursday night in LA.)

http://commonplacebooks.com/live-events#/westcoastjan13/

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Another Night Vale for a relaxed sleep team member here.
Can't really explain it, there's something soothing about Cecil's voice and the surreal narratives allow my brain to wander around the overarching plots.

Maxnmona, I don't think enough of us have outright thanked you for this, but you've really created something that's a great part of my life and has provided me with so much entertainment. I drove from New England to Alabama recently and driving late at night, especially through the mountains and forests denuded by the cold it became so easy to forget I was listening to anything other than my local NPR station.

Thank you and everyone involved.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I usually have an episode or two loaded up along with a playlist of quieter Disparition songs when I go to bed.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

:ohdear: I've burned my library card and bunkered myself in a remote compound and I don't know if I'll ever feel safe again.

Now I just sit by the warm glow of my trusty radio, waiting for further instructions. Oh summer reading program, why did you have to go so horribly wrong?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

CuddleChunks posted:

:ohdear: I've burned my library card and bunkered myself in a remote compound and I don't know if I'll ever feel safe again.

Now I just sit by the warm glow of my trusty radio, waiting for further instructions. Oh summer reading program, why did you have to go so horribly wrong?

I'm not sure what you did to deserve a library card, but burning it will not be enough.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

CuddleChunks posted:

Ariong posted:

I'm not sure what you did to deserve a library card, but burning it will not be enough.

You can't destroy your library card. Look in your wallet. You will find that you now have two library cards, one white, the other yellow.

I suggest leaving them alone, burning them gets you the red card... you don't want the red card.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
If the reverse side of the red card is sort of greenish, but with more dimensions, report to the BROWN STONE SPIRE and submit. It is too late for you, but it may not be too late for those you love.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

maxnmona posted:

There's less a story delay, and more that we haven't had a chance to mix the recording yet. It should hopefully be out within the next month. God I hope so.

I know what I'm asking The Drugged Up Government Bear Pretending To Be Santa Claus for this year.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Just another WTNV fan who's grateful for such a creepily soothing way of going to sleep at nights. I just spin up the playlist on youtube and keep it looped through the night.

Keep up the good work, I don't know when I'll be able to donate, but if I can I will. What you guys do is more than worth it.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡
I don't suppose anyone is going to the 7:30 live show in San Francisco and would be willing to exchange with me for the 10:00 show instead? I live out near Dublin so I won't be getting home until 1 AM. :(

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Second show added to Saturday night in LA.

Only 11 tickets left in SF.

Phoenix also almost sold out.

Oh, and really, really big news coming in the intro to the next episode.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

maxnmona posted:

I suddenly find myself somewhat erect.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I can honestly say it's the most exciting news of my entire life so far, and I can't talk about it at all until Sunday.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

maxnmona posted:

I can honestly say it's the most exciting news of my entire life so far, and I can't talk about it at all until Sunday.

Standing at full attention.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

maxnmona posted:

That is so cool!!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

maxnmona posted:

You're pregnant?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MariusLecter posted:

You're pregnant?

Tumblr wins again

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

maxnmona posted:

Night Vale TV show!?

MOVIE!?

Cereal?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Night Vale the flamethrower.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Crain posted:

Cereal?

The hooded figures are marshmallow!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

dj_clawson posted:

And Glowcloud oat clusters. Now with real plutonium for that extra glow!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

dj_clawson posted:

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EAT, LOOK AT, OR PUBLICLY ACKNOWLEDGE THE EXISTENCE OF THE MARSHMALLOWS.

Probably safest just to ignore cereal altogether at this point.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

maxnmona posted:

Second show added to Saturday night in LA.

Only 11 tickets left in SF.

Phoenix also almost sold out.

Blah.

No one ever comes near where I live, and I live in a big city. Living in the southeast sucks.

Am I the only one that really, really doesn't like how tumblr seems to think Cecil looks?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

DicktheCat posted:

Am I the only one that really, really doesn't like how tumblr seems to think Cecil looks?

No. The. Third eye poo poo, in particular, I find to be totally bonkers and off-putting.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

No. The. Third eye poo poo, in particular, I find to be totally bonkers and off-putting.

I don't mind the Tumblr hivemind look for Cecil, except for that stupid third eye and tattoos. Neither look good and are just there because they look ~*spooky*~.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

DicktheCat posted:

Nope.

But then, I feel like he should just be a framed mouth and a microphone, like the DJ in The Warriors.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SkeletonHero posted:

Nope.

But then, I feel like he should just be a framed mouth and a microphone, like the DJ in The Warriors.

This is exactly how I picture him. Beyond that I don't know, or want to know, what he looks like.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

:colbert:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

This is the most important and representationally accurate night vale fan art ever made.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I love you.

Weirdly enough, while I have very clear mental images for Mayor Pamela Winchell, Old Woman Josie, Carlos (perfect Carlos!), 13 year old Tamika Flynn and John Peters, you know, the farmer? I have absolutely NO picture in my head of Cecil.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AstroZamboni posted:

I love you.

Weirdly enough, while I have very clear mental images for Mayor Pamela Winchell, Old Woman Josie, Carlos (perfect Carlos!), 13 year old Tamika Flynn and John Peters, you know, the farmer? I have absolutely NO picture in my head of Cecil.

Same, actually (oh, and Dana, but I just see Jasika Nicole so that's probably a cheat). Cecil to me is just a silhouette in front of a microphone.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

To me Cecil looks like Cecil the guy who does the voice-acting :colbert: Not terribly original but whatever he looks good and not like this stupid tumblr poo poo

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

MikeJF posted:

oh, and Dana, but I just see Jasika Nicole so that's probably a cheat

Same here.

Intern Dana's pretty hot.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

At the live taping next week, we're changing the voice actor for Carlos. Here's a brief essay by Jeffrey about why we're doing that: http://happierman.tumblr.com/post/69936379508/ch-ch-ch-ch-changes-or-who-is-carlos

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 14, 2013

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
This is very cool of you guys. Like most people I enjoyed Jeffrey's Carlos, but I'm excited for the new actor, as well. :)

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I could see people getting too upset by it, but in fairness it was one episode and just a few sentences and as Jeffrey said, it wasn't even really supposed to be that big of a deal. And he made a radically progressive and awesome reason, that the work should go to an actor of color or a gay actor instead of another white washed role. Can't argue that!

Also, as was said by The Second Doctor up there, I don't get the tattoos and third eye thing, neither of which has a single bit of evidence in the canon presented so far, but Tumblr can be tumblr and if they enjoy it, so what. Just kind of irks me when I see it.

It feels like, until the film came out, if 90% of the fan community suddenly thought Harry Potter had a swastika on his forehead and walked with a cane ("because she never said he DIDN'T!").

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

bengraven posted:

I could see people getting too upset by it, but in fairness it was one episode and just a few sentences and as Jeffrey said, it wasn't even really supposed to be that big of a deal. And he made a radically progressive and awesome reason, that the work should go to an actor of color or a gay actor instead of another white washed role. Can't argue that!

Also, as was said by The Second Doctor up there, I don't get the tattoos and third eye thing, neither of which has a single bit of evidence in the canon presented so far, but Tumblr can be tumblr and if they enjoy it, so what. Just kind of irks me when I see it.

It feels like, until the film came out, if 90% of the fan community suddenly thought Harry Potter had a swastika on his forehead and walked with a cane ("because she never said he DIDN'T!").

Wait, what? Harry Potter has pictures. There are pictures in the books. What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Ariong posted:

Wait, what? Harry Potter has pictures. There are pictures in the books. What?

Oh that's true.

Fine, pick any other novel series that hasn't had an adaptation. Or...poo poo...pretend it was before they had their adaptations. :p