Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Jonny Nox posted:

I failed my first attempt before the instructor even got in the car. Signal light burned out.

Took three tries to get my license (Great State of Alabama).

Attempt #1 failed after I couldn't release the parking brake, because the release cable for the foot-activated pedal came apart. :v: Instructor just :rolleyes: and walked the 100 feet or so back to the DMV office.

Attempt #2 failed after trying to make a left at an T-intersection with a loving UPS truck blocking my line of sight to the right. Check to make sure it's all clear and just as I pull out, a pickup comes hauling rear end from the right and I panic stopped just in time. Failed :negative:

Attempt #3 goes off without a hitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Whoa, so many replies, apparently its really different there. All in all I paid 1700 euros for my drivers license, which had mandatory theory and driving classes and the test at the end where we drove in the city, trying not to cause an accident. We Also had couple hours at a skidpan to learn slippery conditions. And before that my dad taught me to drive in the winter in an rwd Lada.

At least my trucking license was paid By the country but the drivers ed was prettymuch the same, besides replace personal vehicles with trucks.

Also the person above me: wth, i had similar experience while in a truck test and the captain taking it (in the army at the time) told me he wouldve failed me if i was any slower on the brakes. You just avoided an accident, good Job, you fail.

Patrocclesiastes fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 12, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

On my first driving test (Ontario) I turned left when the guy said right and stalled the car parking on a hill. Those only counted as "improper turn procedure" and "improper gear selection", and you're allowed to get three of those before failing on the fourth, so I passed. shrug

On the more advanced test a couple years later, the woman basically screamed at me for not checking my right blind spot when turning right from the right lane on a road with no sidewalk. "YOU COULD KILL SOMEONE DRIVING LIKE THAT!!" Okay, sure. I got 3/4 blind spot checking errors for that, and because I guess a quick 0.5 second glance to detect anything unusual in the spot doesn't count --you have to make an exaggerated head turn so that the examiner knows you're reeeeeaalllllyyyy looking. Oh well. Still passed.

I came within one question of failing the California written motorcycle test, because their questions about lane positioning are literally wrong. California apparently thinks you're supposed to ride in the center of the lane, where there's all the oil and broken glass and poo poo, despite every course in the country telling you to ride in the left or right tire track depending on which lane you're in and a bunch of other factors. Dummies.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Previa_fun posted:

A friend of mine took his driver's test in a Honda Accord 5 speed and failed for "shifting too late" when (according to him) he shifted at 2.5-3K. He retook the test in an automatic car and passed easily. :v:
"Appropriate RPM" is definitely one if the things where I find it irritating to have to meet the expectations of a tester who knows far less than I do about cars or driving. So much poo poo is decades out of date, if not flat out wrong.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Not to mention the engine, shifting below 3k in my 83 Honda would have people on bikes passing you. Not that it had a tachometer or anything. Hell if it decided to vapor lock you had to keep it above at least 3k or the drat thing would die!

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 12, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

I came within one question of failing the California written motorcycle test, because their questions about lane positioning are literally wrong. California apparently thinks you're supposed to ride in the center of the lane, where there's all the oil and broken glass and poo poo, despite every course in the country telling you to ride in the left or right tire track depending on which lane you're in and a bunch of other factors. Dummies.

That question/answer isn't unique to California and IIRC my MSF instructors explicitly warned us about it: never ride like this, but if you see it on the test, answer it this way. I think there was at least one other question like that but it's been pushed out of my head by irrelevant administrivia about how long a school bus has to stop at railroad crossings.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I went to the "good" DMV a town over to take my test after one attempt at the local DMV ended because the staff told us to come back at 3:45 and then when we came back told us that DL road testing ended at 3:30. The local DMV had a bad reputation about requiring three trips to do anything, and auto-failing everyone on their first road test. Even the Driver's Ed teacher said not to go there because he never had anyone pass first try, but the DMV one town over he had a 95% first round pass rate.

Anyway I only got dinged for taking a left turn a bit wide because a friend had gotten dinged for taking a turn too tight. I have heard they since dropped the parallel parking requirement, which is just a drat shame.

I had to take an unexpected sign ID test a few years ago when I moved because NC is strange like that. Got 9/10 because I IDed a "school crossing" sign as a "pedestrian crossing" because apparently that little box the smaller figure is carrying is is a lunchbox or something. :rolleyes: They were used all over the town for pedestrian crossing signs though, so I don't know what's up with that. Perhaps they are designated "kiddies walk 1 mile to school" routes?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I basically drove around a neighborhood for about 15 minutes. I remember getting a 100 on my first attempt, after thinking "that's it?" and then mentally facepalming at the note that a score of 85 was required to be an instructor. I was a danger to myself and others until my mother signed me up for Russell Racing at Sears Point.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 22, 2018

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

InitialDave posted:

"Appropriate RPM" is definitely one if the things where I find it irritating to have to meet the expectations of a tester who knows far less than I do about cars or driving. So much poo poo is decades out of date, if not flat out wrong.

I sat my license in a 1990 Honda Integra with the B16a.

Although I didn't fail I did get told off for 'driving in 4th gear' on the high speed section even though I had shifted into 5th. Guess the instructor didn't know about annoyingly short gearing and couldn't be bothered to actually look what position the gear stick was in.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I didn't even have to take a test at the dmv because I took driver's ed and passing that was considered the same as passing the dmv test, except you got your license a year earlier. So I had a full license with no restrictions at 15 in a state with no speed limits on the highways. It's probably a good thing my parents didn't have fast cars.

I did have to take another written test to get my CA license but it took like 5 min and I got 100. What blew my mind that there was a dude there trying to get a commercial license, and if you fail the test three times you have to wait a few months before trying it again. He was arguing that since he didn't fail the same test three times (he had also failed the test for a standard DL), that he should not have to wait. And there were a bunch of people trying to cheat, which doesn't work so well when there are a dozen different tests.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My first driver's test was long enough ago that I don't remember anything about it except I passed. Well, and we had gotten a foot of snow the night previous and I took the test in a manual transmission quarter ton pickup with no studs. :black101:

Which either means Anchorage's driving standards are extremely low or I was a loving badass driver at 18.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Did the driver's test in my 1980 F250, since the DMV's car was in the shop. The instructor, when I pointed out my truck in the parking lot, audibly sighed and rolled her eyes.

I did well enough that she was complimenting me on my driving skills at the end for being able to precisely handle such a large vehicle while parking/parallel parking. When we did a the three-point turnaround test, I had to do it in 5, but she didn't take points off "because this thing is pretty massive, and I don't think you could have gotten any more out of the road without putting a tire off."

But yeah American licensing is a joke compared to some EUR countries.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There was one question on the Kansas DL test that is like, "what should you do in a skid situation" and I asked the proctor if the test is referring to a FWD or RWD car and she said she didn't know :psyduck:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Generally speaking you'd steer in the direction you're skidding/sliding, which is why it doesn't matter what drivetrain the car has.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
I failed written probably three times. I don't know what's wrong with me, and yes I wear a helmut when going outdoors. :downs: Driver's Ed was completely piss poor, total waste of time. We just goofed off all day, basically a complete waste of time and money.

Driving test I aced on the first try, only markdown was for not looking over my shoulder before lane changing. I had been doing this during practice sessions but my dad said not to. Probably because I was doing it at such an extreme, I'd twist my whole midsection rather than just sort of "glance" over. A symptom of my poor hunched over posture.

drukqs fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 12, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I had to take a mandatory reeducation test after I was involved in a collision back in uni, it was a 2 day affair and my instructor stopped me about lunch time and said I'd fail if I didn't make a mistake before the end of the first day, because if you didn't show improvement on day 2 you failed. I them deliberately racked up about 20 offences so I couldn't possibly be worse on day 2.

100%, then when we got back to base we had to leave to go rescue the truck driver that had wrecked his test car :v:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Ace'd everything, which always kinda surprises me. Since I took my first driving test in a 1972 Chevy truck with a semi high strung 327 and a four speed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

Snowdens Secret posted:

That question/answer isn't unique to California and IIRC my MSF instructors explicitly warned us about it: never ride like this, but if you see it on the test, answer it this way. I think there was at least one other question like that but it's been pushed out of my head by irrelevant administrivia about how long a school bus has to stop at railroad crossings.

That's very odd as I've never rode a motorcycle or taken any courses and I know you're supposed to ride off-center; I thought it was even in the regular driver's handbook.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Oh god, reeducation classes. I took a driver safety course as part of a reduction for a speeding ticket. Place could've been a casting call for Jersey Shore.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of which, I have to take one this Saturday to wipe that stupid ticket from August off my record. 8 hours in a Holiday Inn conference room, I can't wait.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Consider yourselves lucky, my state doesn't even let you do that. You get a ticket it's on your record for at least (I think) 5 years.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Terrible Robot posted:

Speaking of which, I have to take one this Saturday to wipe that stupid ticket from August off my record. 8 hours in a Holiday Inn conference room, I can't wait.

Don't remind me :( first instate speeding ticket ever. Oh well, my fault.

E: DB, mass does. Not sure how it works, basically the event is still on your record but your points score goes back down so you can keep your license.

Did you know that inspection tickets in mass put a point on your license? I wouldn't have had to take the course otherwise. I have a stack of those, one accident years ago, and this speeding ticket, and I am going to be learning to not drunk drive a tractor trailer with a suspended license with a bunch of dipshits.

Get your rides inspected, guys :suicide:

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 13, 2013

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Consider yourselves lucky, my state doesn't even let you do that. You get a ticket it's on your record for at least (I think) 5 years.

Technically I haven't been charged with anything yet, no points on my license, but if I don't take this class then I will be charged. If they do charge me then it will be on my record for 5-7 years, but taking an improvement class will still remove any points on my license.

e; Virginia does not add points to your license for inspection tickets, which is lucky for my friend who has literally never had a car that would pass, for one reason or another. Never for anything actually dangerous, just stupid poo poo like a busted horn or loud exhaust. He's spent over $1500 on inspection tickets. :psyduck:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 13, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CharlesM posted:

That's very odd as I've never rode a motorcycle or taken any courses and I know you're supposed to ride off-center; I thought it was even in the regular driver's handbook.

I don't recall directions to ride off-center being in the Ontario car driver's handbook, but it was definitely in the motorcycle handbook, and the M1 written test verifies that riding in the tire track is the correct way to go in Ontario. I didn't look at any California literature when I converted my license, just assumed that I'd get it all right, and I pretty much did except for the three questions that involved lane positioning.

What I don't get is why it would be different. There isn't even a debate about whether it's better to ride in the center -- every motorcycling organization I know of universally says it's safer to ride in the tire track. Besides your avoiding all the glass and oil, you also have better sight lines, a better blocking position to keep people from creeping into your lane, and a more direct escape route if you're about to be rear-ended at a stoplight or something. No question. The only reasons I can theorize are that either (1) the laws were written by someone who's never sat on a bike, or (2) they think that the concept is too complicated and no one would pass the test otherwise. Beats me.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 13, 2013

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

Don't remind me :( first instate speeding ticket ever. Oh well, my fault.

E: DB, mass does. Not sure how it works, basically the event is still on your record but your points score goes back down so you can keep your license.

Did you know that inspection tickets in mass put a point on your license? I wouldn't have had to take the course otherwise. I have a stack of those, one accident years ago, and this speeding ticket, and I am going to be learning to not drunk drive a tractor trailer with a suspended license with a bunch of dipshits.

Well yeah, I guess what I meant is that it still impacts insurance. Did you know that going without a front plate is a $30 fine, but it also counts as a moving violation for insurance? Gotta love this state.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Terrible Robot posted:

Texas allows you to do online defensive driving :downs: - I've taken it a few times.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
I failed my first driving test because I didn't stop at a stop sign (that I hadn't driven past previously) that was completely blocked by a tree when backing around a corner. It just seems really unsafe to be backing around a corner in the middle of a 2 way stop intersection, let alone coming to a complete stop in the middle of the road blocking traffic from almost every lane.

Driver's ed was a lot more interesting though. I had surgery during the final driver's ed test and had to take it a week later with the students who failed. I drove first, passed, and then had to sit in the back seat in utter horror for about an hour. I asked to get out because I was uncomfortable, but they would not let me. One of the students (who fits basically every bad driver stereotype that exists) drove the driver's ed car head on into a wall because she didn't turn on a slight curve in the road. The instructor used his brake early enough so she barely crashed the car, but that was an interesting one.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

Texas allows you to do online defensive driving :downs: - I've taken it a few times.

That was the only good part of my entire, month and a half long experience with the Texas DPS. Long story short I "moved" to Texas for a few months, my Virginia license expired a day before my flight, and because of Texas' new laws I had to retake the entire driving course as if I was a new driver again. Compounded by them jerking me around about 6 times with exactly what paperwork I needed to have and basically being the biggest bunch of shitlords I've ever dealt with. Then during the practical I got an instructor who barely spoke English that failed me for going 25 in a 35 despite the route he took me on having no speed limit signs. I just defaulted to the usual residential speed limit VA uses.

gently caress that flat, hot shithole state. The TFR meet was pretty awesome though. :)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Well yeah, I guess what I meant is that it still impacts insurance. Did you know that going without a front plate is a $30 fine, but it also counts as a moving violation for insurance? Gotta love this state.

I've done that, but never been ticketed for it because they had a lot of other more pressing things to ticket me for. Like my lack of inspection sticker.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

some texas redneck posted:

Which you can do drunk or get your 12 year old kid to hit the continue button every couple minutes. If you have more than one computer you game on one and click the next page button on the other. Multi-tasking!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kill-9 posted:

Which you can do drunk or get your 12 year old kid to hit the continue button every couple minutes. If you have more than one computer you game on one and click the next page button on the other. Multi-tasking!

Nope.

The quiz after every video asks you poo poo like "What color was the car in this video?" or "What was Jeff's fathers name?" Then it will pop up and ask you verify identify details like your DL# or your SSN or other poo poo.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The one I took thankfully did not do this so I just ran the video in the background while browsing the forums. Check it every 15 minutes or so, take quiz, back to forums. Still aced them all.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

On my first driving test (Ontario) I turned left when the guy said right and stalled the car parking on a hill. Those only counted as "improper turn procedure" and "improper gear selection", and you're allowed to get three of those before failing on the fourth, so I passed. shrug

On the more advanced test a couple years later, the woman basically screamed at me for not checking my right blind spot when turning right from the right lane on a road with no sidewalk. "YOU COULD KILL SOMEONE DRIVING LIKE THAT!!" Okay, sure. I got 3/4 blind spot checking errors for that, and because I guess a quick 0.5 second glance to detect anything unusual in the spot doesn't count --you have to make an exaggerated head turn so that the examiner knows you're reeeeeaalllllyyyy looking. Oh well. Still passed.

Ontario is stupid. I *almost* failed my "G" test (G is full license) because of how I was signaling... on the 401. In Toronto. At the start of rush hour. Every time I changed lanes, I'd use the '3 flash' thing that my parents car had. If you tap the indicator, it'll flash the signal 3 times and turn off, so you don't have to hold it down. In Toronto, this is useful because if you signal before you move people close the gap. So, I used that and if they'd marked down one more 'improper use of signal during lane change' check marks I would have failed. Thankfully the examiner brought it up, then told me not to change how I was driving because that's what you need to do around here.

I wouldn't take any of the test in a stick shift, they have the stupidest rules. No gear changes in the intersection, they can fail you for 'shifting too late' (how the hell am I supposed to shift before 3K, while not shifting in an intersection, when the intersections are 8 lanes wide (including turning lanes)? 3K RPM is ~15mph in 1st here), improper gear (start in 2nd? gently caress you), etc. Ontario is stupid.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

TrueChaos posted:

No gear changes in the intersection

Buses have this, but for railroad tracks. The bus I drove was an automatic, so I had to just sorta creep along at 1000 rpm because the "no shifting over railroad tracks" includes automatics :psyduck:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Bovril Delight posted:

Nope.

The quiz after every video asks you poo poo like "What color was the car in this video?" or "What was Jeff's fathers name?" Then it will pop up and ask you verify identify details like your DL# or your SSN or other poo poo.

Terrible Robot posted:

The one I took thankfully did not do this so I just ran the video in the background while browsing the forums. Check it every 15 minutes or so, take quiz, back to forums. Still aced them all.

I've never had to take it but Terrible's experience is more like what I saw a co-worker go through. He did it at work while doing other stuff on another system. IIRC they did have a way of telling if the web browser window had focus so you couldn't switch apps but that was the grand total of 'security' on it in Texas at the time.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

kastein posted:

That's one thing I love about living in Charlotte - if you get pulled over for an expired inspection/registration, you'll get a ticket, but as long as you get it taken care of no later than 7 days before the court date, you can e-mail or fax proof of inspection/registration and everything gets tossed out. It's so convenient I honestly don't even pay attention to the notice of renewal any more, I use my annual get-pulled-over-for-expired-inspection-and-registration as an opportunity to have a nice chat with a police officer, the past two of whom have been quite pleasant to deal with.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The Midniter posted:

That's one thing I love about living in Charlotte - if you get pulled over for an expired inspection/registration, you'll get a ticket, but as long as you get it taken care of no later than 7 days before the court date, you can e-mail or fax proof of inspection/registration and everything gets tossed out. It's so convenient I honestly don't even pay attention to the notice of renewal any more, I use my annual get-pulled-over-for-expired-inspection-and-registration as an opportunity to have a nice chat with a police officer, the past two of whom have been quite pleasant to deal with.

The last inspection ticket the officer told me that I just had to bring my proof of inspection with me and he'd have it thrown out.

loving liar, he didn't show up (some other douche did) and the magistrate told me to go gently caress myself and let the ticket stand.

I don't like being lied to.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

I don't recall directions to ride off-center being in the Ontario car driver's handbook, but it was definitely in the motorcycle handbook, and the M1 written test verifies that riding in the tire track is the correct way to go in Ontario. I didn't look at any California literature when I converted my license, just assumed that I'd get it all right, and I pretty much did except for the three questions that involved lane positioning.

What I don't get is why it would be different. There isn't even a debate about whether it's better to ride in the center -- every motorcycling organization I know of universally says it's safer to ride in the tire track. Besides your avoiding all the glass and oil, you also have better sight lines, a better blocking position to keep people from creeping into your lane, and a more direct escape route if you're about to be rear-ended at a stoplight or something. No question. The only reasons I can theorize are that either (1) the laws were written by someone who's never sat on a bike, or (2) they think that the concept is too complicated and no one would pass the test otherwise. Beats me.

Well I mean I learned to drive in California so I figure I learned that in the classes or handbooks there so it's surprising the test would be different. On the other hand my dad did always take home those Smith System defensive driving videos so I guess I could have learned it there although I don't remember motorcycles being a part of it. Then again this was long enough ago that I barely remember anyway so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ijustam posted:

Buses have this, but for railroad tracks. The bus I drove was an automatic, so I had to just sorta creep along at 1000 rpm because the "no shifting over railroad tracks" includes automatics :psyduck:

I guess it's the same everywhere. I remember no shifting over railway tracks or at intersections. Because when you are out of gear you are out of control.
And the whole buses must stop before rail crossings thing, which didn't apply to trucks.

Passed my drivers theory and practical no worries for car. For truck passed the written but failed the practical first time. There's one set of lights out of town in an 80km/h zone with long greens and a stupidly short amber. It changed at the exact wrong time and I was forced to blow through. No way in hell I could have stopped a freightliner loaded with concrete blocks in time.
The instructor had to get me to pull over and he had to drive back after. Regulations and all that. But he said that in real world conditions I did what anybody would have done, but he had to fail me because of test conditions.

Part of the training was reading traffic, especially at that stupid intersection to try to predict when the light change would be. Not much traffic at that time though. D'oh!

Speaking of which, there was a pretty high noncompletion rate for that course. The people we don't share the road with. Be grateful some of of these people aren't driving heavyweight murder machines around.