Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Obsidian is a bigger studio than InXile and likely has people they could put on a new KS project without adding too much strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
One thing that bothers me a little about the names of the locations is that the world is presumably colonial, but a lot of the names are like the Viking mistake with Iceland. In that they name things so unappealing that its a stretch to imagine colonists wanting to immigrate. I'd like to see some lovely locations with hilariously misleading names. Golden hills- a rocky, unfarmable, mountain side covered in marigolds. Emerald hollow- a poisonous bog filled with man eating toads. It'd be nice to see some transparent attempts at manipulation aimed at ignorant colonists.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

tbh it seems like a lot of locations were named after the revolutionary war, when they probably weren't chomping at the bit for tourism. "Defiance Bay", "Fleetbreaker Cove" (or whatever that's called), etc

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Basic Chunnel posted:

tbh it seems like a lot of locations were named after the revolutionary war, when they probably weren't chomping at the bit for tourism. "Defiance Bay", "Fleetbreaker Cove" (or whatever that's called), etc

There had to be a time of immigration, and an old man pissed off about the main export of Fertile Valley being giant spider webs and human skeletons is a funny character in my eyes.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Does anyone happen to remember which classes were stretch goal classes, and in which order they were unlocked?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

$1.4 and $1.8 are monk and druid? Or druid and monk, I guess?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They started with the base 4 (fighter, rogue, wizard, cleric), then I believe it was barbarians and druids, then monks and paladins. I'm 100% sure that chanters and cyphers were last.

* oh, well I was wrong.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ah, that's perfect. Many thanks!

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

The only thing that bugs me about the names is how they have a palatinate without Rome's hill.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Quantumfate posted:

The only thing that bugs me about the names is how they have a palatinate without Rome's hill.

It's more this than the palatine, although I don't think there's much of a connection there either, beyond the fact that a "palatinate" is just a sweet name for a territory. And they're vaguely Germanic, I believe.

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 13, 2013

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

That palatinate comes from rome's palatine.:ssh: Nobles were given the title of "Palatine". Following the germanic invasions the germans were desperate to legitimize their rule, like charlemagne's 12 palatines, or the palatine count of lotharingia that managed pfalz.

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 13, 2013

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I don't see the point in that kind of pedantic distinction. It's a term that holds meaning independent of its etymology. They have Paladins without a hill in Rome too. Should they avoid using the word Palace? They have castles without an old French or Latin or Indo-European. They have a Hel without a Norse Mythology, etc. I don't see a point in them inventing a fully new language and never using any words that exist outside of the game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"But the fact is that any fantasy world is, sooner or later, our own world. ... However towering the local mountains, however dwarf-haunted the local woods, any character wanting to eat a piece of zorkle meat between two slices of bread probably has no other word for it than 'sandwich'. ... The builder of fresh worlds may start out carefully avoiding Alsatian dogs and Toledo steel, but if he or she has any sense will one day look up from the keyboard and utter the words "What the hell?"
-Terry Pratchett, the wisest human

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Tyrsell posted:

Personally, I want a RPG based on ancient China (or one of their many stories and myths) that isn't the mediocre Bioware created Jade Empire.

There's so many rich stories that are untouched by Western developers from that area of the world.

Before the discussion toootally moves on I gotta slide in here and say I've been hoping for an open-world-y character-create-y choice-and-consequences-y wuxia game forever, and if Obsidian can't do one then I hope y'all can bug someone who can.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

fermun posted:

I don't see the point in that kind of pedantic distinction. It's a term that holds meaning independent of its etymology. They have Paladins without a hill in Rome too. Should they avoid using the word Palace? They have castles without an old French or Latin or Indo-European. They have a Hel without a Norse Mythology, etc. I don't see a point in them inventing a fully new language and never using any words that exist outside of the game.

Palatinate (and count palatine) doesn't hold meaning independent of its etymology is the thing, unlike paladin or palace. It's a specifically obscure term that's never used in regular parlance. I mean margrave and plenipotentiary are more commonly used titles, it's not strange that I'd have qualms about using it for something like this. Petty ones, I grant, but it's kind of like using damascene or arabesque.

EDIT: A wuxia RPG would be pretty great, even thought Jade Empire wasn't that bad.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Quantumfate posted:

That palatinate comes from rome's palatine.:ssh: Nobles were given the title of "Palatine". Following the germanic invasions the germans were desperate to legitimize their rule, like charlemagne's 12 palatines, or the palatine count of lotharingia that managed pfalz.

Right. But the point is that it's specifically evocative of the high medieval German period that has influenced the setting. It's like complaining about Eir Glanfanth being pseudo Celtic without the thousand years of real history that would produce it.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Suspension of disbelief is a tricky thing. For me, this is something that causes me to do a double take. And if it were the Rioghachd of Eir Glanfath it'd be similar. It could have evoked that feel with something else, like "Electorates of Dyrwood" or "The free landsgrave of dyrwood". Palatinate is just jarring and seems really out of place to me. Petty, dumb, yeah. Not saying it should be changed, just that it takes me out of my disbelief is all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AXE COP posted:

v: it's a good thing classes don't play the same in 4e then!
I think they mean how every class gets encounter powers, daily powers and utility powers at the same rate.

Yeah, they can end up feeling a lot like different classes along the way, but it seems to me like they went with how the Warlock plays like in 3rd edition just to an extreme I'm not fond of.

Also, are the magical weapons in 4th edition meant to look very boring?

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005

Quantumfate posted:

Palatinate (and count palatine) doesn't hold meaning independent of its etymology is the thing, unlike paladin or palace.

I'm sure that's true for you, which is a bummer, but I don't think this is generally true. I definitely had no idea about the etymology of "palatine," whereas I'm totally familiar with the Holy Roman Palatinate (which the game is obviously trying to evoke) and Palatine, Illinois (which I suspect it isn't).

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Also, are the magical weapons in 4th edition meant to look very boring?

They are pretty much identical to 3rd edition, they just decided to put them all together side by side and you get to see how boring a lot of dnd magic weapons have always been (+1 is a lame power for anything beyond your first magic item) in a system that depends upon you constantly getting new magic items to keep up.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

kingcom posted:

They are pretty much identical to 3rd edition, they just decided to put them all together side by side and you get to see how boring a lot of dnd magic weapons have always been (+1 is a lame power for anything beyond your first magic item) in a system that depends upon you constantly getting new magic items to keep up.

For custom weapons, sure, but some weapons were "special" with attributes that were very specific situations, like Holy Avenger and Assassin's dagger (which added death attack modifiers). Maybe I was looking in the wrong section, I'll need to recheck my manuals.

Come to think, I've always thought it was weird that +1, +2 etc. were magic modifiers, when it made more sense to me as a kid that they'd be "quality of weapon" in terms of how masterwork items work. And then I thought it'd make sense that the better quality the weapon was, the more magic modifiers it would be able to hold.

But, eh, dumb traditions.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 13, 2013

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

The idea behind +x weapons initially wasn't supposed to a scale of quality, but a magical dweomer of varying levels. 2e is sort of what introduced that to a concept of scaling based on level, 3+ took that concept and ran with it.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

grrarg posted:

RPS guy was probably too distracted by the Wasteland 2 backer beta to finish the article.

Bet they're enjoying it too because it's terribly easy, even on Hard (Ranger).

Camera & controls are a nightmare though. Facepalm at whoever designed those. YMMV.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Quantumfate posted:

The idea behind +x weapons initially wasn't supposed to a scale of quality, but a magical dweomer of varying levels. 2e is sort of what introduced that to a concept of scaling based on level, 3+ took that concept and ran with it.

Strange. I just thought the idea of players other than the casters being able to add modifications to a weapon to be a sound one.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Obsidian is a bigger studio than InXile and likely has people they could put on a new KS project without adding too much strain.
Yeah, guess things are wrapping up on the South Park game and they want those developers moving onto whatever is coming after.

While it's sad that we keep hearing about all these games that get canned(Alien RPG, that other Sci-Fi one with Bethesda) or games getting rushed out the door it's awesome to see they might be forging their own path and collecting cash straight from their fanbase. Or the new Kickstarter might just be about the new locations/NPCs in Pillars.

Woden fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 13, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sensuki posted:

Bet they're enjoying it too because it's terribly easy, even on Hard (Ranger).

Says you :( I am terrible at videogames, and even on the easiest setting I'm pulling through some early fights by the skin of my teeth.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Woden posted:

Yeah, guess things are wrapping up on the South Park game and they want those developers moving onto whatever is coming after.

While it's sad that we keep hearing about all these games that get canned(Alien RPG, that other Sci-Fi one with Bethesda) or games getting rushed out the door it's awesome to see they might be forging their own path and collecting cash straight from their fanbase. Or the new Kickstarter might just be about the new locations/NPCs in Pillars.

They did say it's not for PoE2.... BUT THAT'S ONLY BECAUSE THEY RAN OUT OF MONEY FOR POE1 LOL.

But seriously, where's that article. drat you, Nathan Greyjerkface.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What ever happened to the Wheel of Time game?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Steve2911 posted:

It got released in 2003ish?

Edit: Actually it was in 1999 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time_(video_game)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

They agreed to help some other schlubs who got the license, if they ever got the money to go with it. They didn't.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

They never really started working on it. The license holder attempted a Kickstarter for a mobile game at one point and failed badly. Assume it's never getting made and move on. :shrug:

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

CommissarMega posted:

Says you :( I am terrible at videogames, and even on the easiest setting I'm pulling through some early fights by the skin of my teeth.

You probably just gimped yourself at character creation.

Despite what inXile campaigned, I have yet to see any evidence of C&C other than the X or Y area choice near the beginning of the game. I have one skill whore and the rest of my chars had 3 in a combat skill (smg, pistol, blunt) on char creation and they have a couple of skills each.

Combat has basically just been click to attack or click to move, no tactics involved at all (combat controls are horrendous as well) and I've only had one character take 1/2 health damage in a fight, the rest have taken maybe 6 damage max. By the time I've finished looting and reading descriptions, everyone has auto-regen'd their health ... lol.

My characters aren't even good, after reading some stuff on the forums looks like Initiative is pretty OP.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 13, 2013

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Sensuki posted:

You probably just gimped yourself at character creation.

I sincerely hope eternity makes good on its claims that this isn't easy to do.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Well I power game. I don't sit there and think "what skills do I want to take", I think realistically in terms of the design. WL2 is a combat focused game and progression through the game will be determined by my characters efficacy in combat, so it is only natural to stock up on combat skills early, and perhaps grab some more world skills later on. I have all of the skills in that 8 list covered, but not all general skills.

All of my characters have a narrow focus. Only one character has points in two combat skills so far - one ranged and one melee.

There's also a high chance that inXile will fail to implement many skill checks that lead to anything significant (I've only seen one in dialogue) as well. So far I have yet to see any.

Also regarding stats I have certain characters focused on different things, which align with their combat skill. My melee character is strong, my smg character has high coordination, my skills character has high intelligence.

If you make a character Chris Avellone style (a la Arcanum playthrough) that is terrible at combat ... in a combat focused game ... then yeah I can see how you would struggle.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 13, 2013

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's been said before but Obsidian is a studio built for AAA game making, and while they could definitely support another KS game, the studio would not in any way be sustained by them. Pillars of Eternity has a very, very small team. They'll still be hustling for at least 2 concurrent AAA projects at any one time.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's been said before but Obsidian is a studio built for AAA game making, and while they could definitely support another KS game, the studio would not in any way be sustained by them. Pillars of Eternity has a very, very small team. They'll still be hustling for at least 2 concurrent AAA projects at any one time.

I think how Obsidian and other ~100 dev studios proceed with Kickstarters in future depends largely on how these first few sell post-launch. There was, at one point, a million-unit market for these kinds of games, but no-one knows how much of that market remains. If it is still reasonably large, then while larger studios might not be able to sustain themselves on KS alone, they would be able to use it to bootstrap themselves up into a position where they have the funds to back their own >50 dev projects.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
As much as I like the idea of them having full creative freedom to do the world and system they want, I would still love to see them do a D&D game again. A Wheel of Time game would also be great.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

I'd probably prefer a new IP. Less strings and all that. Agree about Ancient China, but I doubt we'll be seeing anything historical from anyone but rope kid. Most likely a space opera in the vein of Mass Effect, tbh.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Delta Green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Sensuki posted:

I'd probably prefer a new IP. Less strings and all that. Agree about Ancient China, but I doubt we'll be seeing anything historical from anyone but rope kid. Most likely a space opera in the vein of Mass Effect, tbh.
Attn: Obsidian

Please do the needful and purchase the Jade Empire license from BioWare. Stealing it is also acceptable.

Sincerely,
Everyone

• Locked thread