Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jenelle
Mar 3, 2007
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
I am so fed up with my dumb light brahma, Fluff Momma. Last winter our barred rock started picking at feathers of the other hens and passed the habit on to Fluffy. The BR has stopped, but Fluffy is still picking and eating feathers. She stopped over the summer/fall while she molted and when we switched them to a higher protein food. All the other girls looked so ragged from her but they finally molted too and transformed back into fat fluffy hens just in time for this last cold snap. Well when it was really icy and snowy last week they didn't want to come out of the coop. I think the confinement switched on the feather eating mode in her little chicken brain and I caught her in the act yesterday. They are still on 18% feed and we more than doubled their run space last spring. She only seems to do it when another hen is in that zombie mode they get when they are sunbathing. It's so heartbreaking when these poor hens spent all year with no tails, snapped off feathers on their backs and necks, looking miserable, and now that they have nice cozy full feathers again all she wants to do is eat them. It's too drat cold this winter for them to lose feathers. I've tried adding yogurt and cat food to increase protein, their regular pellets are higher in protein too, they have more space to run around outside, and we added some roosts and shelves for the others to escape if needed. Since she only does it during dustbathing though they never get up and run away. They just lie there and complain about it. Fluffy has figured out how to work around the pinless peepers and even bumpabits only work for a day or so until she realizes she can still use her beak against the plastic to grasp a feather.

Yesterday I brought her inside to re-fit a bumpabit on her and just watched her for a while. I've butchered hens before so if it comes to it I know I can do it, but I just don't want to. I'm definitely the chicken hugging type and I raised her from a little yellow chick. She doesn't even take a step away when I bend down to pick her up and her grumpy brow and fluffy pantaloons crack me up. I just don't know what to do to save the rest of my hens. The only thing I can think of is to try and file down her top beak so she can't grasp anything smaller than a pellet, but then what kind of life is that when she can't eat grass or preen her own feathers? I'm tearing up just writing this all out. I feel like if we had a rooster to sit on her fat rear end then he would keep her from picking at the others, but they are banned where we live now. We might be moving in a year or so to a place we can have them but the others would still have to have another featherless winter until then. And I don't want to pass her off onto someone else's flock to cause trouble for them or get butchered by someone she doesn't know. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Edit: new page, adding pictures from happier times (let me know if photobucket isn't allowed)

The culprit
You can see Sweetie's little pin feathers just coming in

jenelle fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Have you considered an Anti Feather Pecking Spray?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Hey guys, help me out. I know there is another term for 'Chicken Math' involving the word 'hen' but I can't remember it..?

I've heard the term Morehens Disease! Does that strike a chord?

edit: Or ring a bell?

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 13, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

piscesbobbie posted:

I've heard the term Morehens Disease! Does that strike a chord?

edit: Or ring a bell?

That's it, thanks! :)

It warmed up to the upper 20's, we got Rugger in the ground today, broke the heavy duty pickaxe digging the hole. :pwn:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
The weather is getting nice and wet for summer, the chickens are very happy. The pony is too, though he's still scared of umbrellas so feeding him while it is raining isn't as fun.

Meanwhile, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBa0l-WLWYE

I think this is the sound that ends the world.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The weather is getting nice and wet for summer, the chickens are very happy. The pony is too, though he's still scared of umbrellas so feeding him while it is raining isn't as fun.

Meanwhile, I found this:

Haha that's Death Metal Rooster

http://youtu.be/A43JOxLa5MM

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Meanwhile, I found this:

For those unaware:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gullinkambi
:black101:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Meanwhile, I found this:

I think that sound would drive off a grizzly.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Meanwhile, I found this:

It's the sound that heralds the dawn of the end of the world.
I like how the little brown Silkie hen in the background looks up to check every so often, 'Yup, still crowing' and then goes back to eating.

I always wanted THIS GUY when I lived at my old place to scare the poo poo outta my crappy neighbors:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_5ZY5Cxi5w
I had this dream of him doing this at 4AM so they'd assume an escaped lunatic with a kitchen knife was lurking beneath their window.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

That's it, thanks! :)

It warmed up to the upper 20's, we got Rugger in the ground today, broke the heavy duty pickaxe digging the hole. :pwn:

Glad to finally have been some help! We have warmed up to 19 degrees today. Whoo Hoooo (ugh) Awww Rugger, RIP sweet girl. :sympathy: There is a Jacks Henhouse across the Rainbow Bridge. :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I like how the little brown Silkie hen in the background looks up to check every so often, 'Yup, still crowing' and then goes back to eating.

I always wanted THIS GUY when I lived at my old place to scare the poo poo outta my crappy neighbors:
I had this dream of him doing this at 4AM so they'd assume an escaped lunatic with a kitchen knife was lurking beneath their window.

Every time I hear those two roosters and their bizarre calls, it just makes me laugh. They're both awesome in their own special way. The Weltmeister (Death Metal rooster) is the most impressive though -- he has a magnificent set of lungs! :D

The pic below is taken from a video of just a normal-sounding roo, but I loved his green feathers. The roo's name is Max and he is 6 months old. One of the commentors suggested that Max is a cross between an Italian and New Hampshire. A very pretty roo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDbtkdFjzco

Max!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The majestic rooster. He looks so impressive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwJAh2X6btc

Then he opens his mouth and spoils it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo, that is amazing. Just when I thought there couldn't be a more awkward crow than my little Tetrazzini. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rupert42/media/chickens/TetrazziniCrows_zps7b716eb5.mp4.html

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

The Rat posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo, that is amazing. Just when I thought there couldn't be a more awkward crow than my little Tetrazzini. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rupert42/media/chickens/TetrazziniCrows_zps7b716eb5.mp4.html

Awwww. Tetrazzini and his little crow are adorable! Watching and listening to him must make you smile. :3:

Tetrazzini's crowing could almost pass as a bird other than a rooster.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The Rat posted:

Heh, I love the way he walks off into the bushes at the end like he's embarassed. :keke: Our Brahma mix roo Fred has a similar crow, 'Cock-a-doodle-do-do-do-do'. Like he doesn't know where to stop.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

The Rat posted:

He has some awesome looking wattles though! ahahahaha They look to be bigger than his head!

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Is MyPetChicken a reliable place to order chicks from? My father-in-law recommended another place, but their minimum order is 15 chicks. I don't think we need that many eggs for 2 people.

I want to get some silver laced wyandottes because they are gorgeous and also cold-hardy :3:

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Pip pip pip posted:

Is MyPetChicken a reliable place to order chicks from? My father-in-law recommended another place, but their minimum order is 15 chicks. I don't think we need that many eggs for 2 people.

I want to get some silver laced wyandottes because they are gorgeous and also cold-hardy :3:

They are just reseller from other hatcheries. If you can attend some local shows and make connections there to support a breeder, you'd be much better off.

If that's not an option I would check with some of the larger breeders first, you'll get nicer healthier, better raised stock.

Here's a few options to get you started:

Urch/Turnland Poultry - urchpoultry@gmail.com

Dick Horstman - http://www.horstmanspoultry.com

If you MUST go with a hatchery:

Sandhill Preservation Center has a nice selection - http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/chickens.html

Cackle Hatchery and Ideal Hatchery have a reputations of sending healthy chicks, they may be severely lacking in breed type and characteristics, but that is same with most hatcheries, those two at least own most their own flocks. 15 might be minimum, but splitting the order might help, or see previous conversation about fragile-ness of chickens.

Nevhix fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 14, 2013

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Pip pip pip posted:

Where do you live? In the spring (March-ish) most farm stores sell hatchery chicks. Tractor Supply, Atwoods, Orscheln and Purina Feed all sell pullets near me. I bought SLW pullets last year from Orscheln. Usually you can find out where stores get their birds- it's been my experience that TSC and Atwoods tend to get their birds from Ideal, Orscheln gets from Estes Hatchery and my Purina Feed store got theirs from Murray.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Pip pip pip posted:

AHAHA at the bolded part...I remember when I thought the same things years ago. You obviously haven't fallen prey to Chicken Math. Yet.

Seconding the other suggestions...talk to your local feed stores, check Craigslist, local poultry clubs for people either raising SLWs or someone interested in splitting a larger order of chicks. My Pet Chicken generally has a good reputation, it's just pricier because they have to take extra steps (heat packs in with the chicks) in order to keep 3 chicks warm, and if something happens to one or more chicks, you don't have backup chicks and have to find replacements somewhere (I'm sure MPC has a guarantee and would replace chicks, but meanwhile having a lone peeping chick who's little friends have died is stressfull for you and the chick). I've had SLWs and loved them. :)

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

This is why I wanted to post here before putting in an order :3: Thank you all for the advice! I will read up on the places posted. I live in central NY. We do have a Tractor Supply and a Country Max in town but I don't think that the Tractor Supply stocks live animals. Country Max stocks small pets but I haven't been impressed with their level of care and wouldn't want to purchase birds from there.

I will ask the folks at Tractor Supply if they know of any local breeders/hatcheries.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

AHAHA at the bolded part...I remember when I thought the same things years ago. You obviously haven't fallen prey to Chicken Math. Yet.

I have heard of the Chicken Math and hope that I don't fall prey to it. I already have three demanding parrots in the house that want 100% of my attention :ohdear:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Chicken math. Hmm, okay, so I got this new rifle on the way, what kind of optics and accessories should I get for it. . .

OH I KNOW, MORE CHICKENS. :haw:

Just picked up four new hens this evening from craigslist. A white-crested black Polish, an Easter Egger, a Blue Andalusian and a Black Minorca. Pictures will follow once the sun comes up tomorrow.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Thought I'd share a couple more photos of some of my Langshans that will be used for breeding this upcoming year.

First up is a two year old Black Hen

Second up is an eight month old Black Cockerel

Nevhix fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 16, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Hixalot posted:

Thought I'd share a couple more photos of some of my Langshans that will be used for breeding this upcoming year.

An all-black chicken surrounded by a pile of WHITE feathers.

She ate her flockmates, didn't she? :ohdear:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

There can only be one :black101:

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

An all-black chicken surrounded by a pile of WHITE feathers.

She ate her flockmates, didn't she? :ohdear:

Haha, she's got two Whites in with her. Langshans are recessive White so I'm hoping to use the Blacks to get better type and bodies on the whites.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Beautiful chickens! They have such graceful silhouettes! And I used to think that all-black chickens were boring. Your (and Tim's) all-black chooks are lovely! :)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hixalot posted:

Second up is an eight month old Black Cockerel

That dude has the swollest tail I've ever seen on a rooster.

Now as promised last night, since the sun is up I was able to get some pictures of the new hens.

Easter egger

Black Minorca

Blue Andalusian (the rising sun is kind of fading her coloration out in this photo)

White-crested black Polish

Huzzah for breed diversity in my flock!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I think the easter egger is beautiful. I waqnt to add some yellow or buff hens to my flock in 2 years.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

The Rat posted:

That dude has the swollest tail I've ever seen on a rooster.

Now as promised last night, since the sun is up I was able to get some pictures of the new hens.

Easter egger

Black Minorca

Blue Andalusian (the rising sun is kind of fading her coloration out in this photo)

White-crested black Polish

Huzzah for breed diversity in my flock!

Did they all come from the same place? From the same previous owner? They are beautiful!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, a guy on craigslist who had 7 total chickens in town. He was selling them because he's gonna be traveling a lot this winter and couldn't find anyone to take care of them. I wanted to buy all 7, but we only have room enough for 4 more.

I'm hoping that they integrate well. The ones we've purchased that have come from small backyard flocks tend to do much better in that regard than ones that come from huge 50+ flocks.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The Rat posted:

Yeah, a guy on craigslist who had 7 total chickens in town. He was selling them because he's gonna be traveling a lot this winter and couldn't find anyone to take care of them. I wanted to buy all 7, but we only have room enough for 4 more.

I'm hoping that they integrate well. The ones we've purchased that have come from small backyard flocks tend to do much better in that regard than ones that come from huge 50+ flocks.

Lovely girls! :)

If you've never had Polish before, watch her to make sure that she isn't getting overly head-pecked by the others. Crested breeds have a hole in their skull which leaves them more susceptible to brain trauma/swelling (plus the fact that their big poofs limit their vision so they don't see head pecks coming, so don't duck). So when they get pecks to the head (the preferred way of chickens to school each other as to who is boss) it can affect them more seriously. If she starts to have trouble walking or standing up, sways drunkenly, can't lift her head up, etc. I know a Vitamin E/Selenium treatment that has worked miracles for myself and others.

Also, Sugar, our mostly blind 8 year old Polish househen, will be leaving us soon. She's not sick, just old and fading out. We're keeping her warm & comfy and keeping her company till she goes.

Edit: She's gone. That makes 9 chickens lost this year. :smith:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 16, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Awww. So sorry to hear about Sugar, VS. She was beautiful and a real sweetie. RIP Sugar! :angel:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Awww sugar was such a cute hen, I'm glad she went to sleep peacefully *hug*

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Thanks you guys. Sugar DID go out looking her best, she molted last month and has a beautiful new suit of feathers. :) Her poof was still a bit pinfeathery, though. Last Wednesday she 'helped' decorate the Christmas tree by coming over and standing in the lights I was stringing.

I told her she wasn't doing it right, and was getting too many yellow lights in one spot on the tree...she got pretty exasperated with me.

Sugar was very excited that we brought an entire TREE into the house just for her, and she loved the bright lights.

Edit: VVV That's nothing, over the summer she helped my husband install a new screen door.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 16, 2013

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
What a beautiful chicken :3: And so helpful!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

awww VS. So sorry to hear about Sugar. You gave her the best possible life though! We were lucky enough to hear her silly clucking while you kept her indoors! She was so much fun to listen to! RIP sweet Sugar! Do you have many that are over 10 years. Bear Bear is, correct?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I don't understand Tabasco. He finally stopped trying to love my shoes, but he still runs, and I really mean run, to any of us as soon as he sees us and bow to us a bit, then tries to get into the house if the door is open. He hasn't tried to attack anybody anymore, and I taught the girls to gently push him down when they grab him so he squats as he walks away from us. I can also keep him on my lap longer than Roostroyer would stay, and he doesn't jump off right away when I stop petting him. I swear if I didn't know better I think Tabasco likes the attention :confused:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chido posted:

I don't understand Tabasco. He finally stopped trying to love my shoes, but he still runs, and I really mean run, to any of us as soon as he sees us and bow to us a bit, then tries to get into the house if the door is open. He hasn't tried to attack anybody anymore, and I taught the girls to gently push him down when they grab him so he squats as he walks away from us. I can also keep him on my lap longer than Roostroyer would stay, and he doesn't jump off right away when I stop petting him. I swear if I didn't know better I think Tabasco likes the attention :confused:

You've overclocked your rooster. :keke:

Bear will be 12 in the Spring, and 5 other girls will be 11 years old, 2 others will be 8 years old. All of the other chickens are looking good for now, although Bear has had some days where we've brought her in to warm up and get some special goodies when it's been rear end-bitingly cold.

Also, the special dustbathing tub we got them several weeks ago has FINALLY been discovered. They would stubbornly dustbathe NEXT to it until I caught on and added some yard dirt to the play sand, making it about half/sand half dirt. Now it's popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

You've overclocked your rooster. :keke:

I don't know what that means but I hope it's good :ohdear: