Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

dpbjinc posted:

For those of us who actually want that behavior, it doesn't work either, since it enables every Flash plugin on the entire site.

And then keeps it on, which is annoying as hell. I only want to enable it for the current instance of that webpage I have open, not for every future time I happen to open a page.

This would annoy me a whole lot less if videos weren't so obsessed with autoplaying themselves when on background tabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Use NoScript instead?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

GrizzlyCow posted:

Use NoScript instead?

I did not know NoScript had this feature. Thanks.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
What's the about:config preference which makes the address bar search the default search (rather than the search engine selected)?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Dice Dice Baby posted:

What's the about :config preference which makes the address bar search the default search (rather than the search engine selected)?

There is none.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Dice Dice Baby posted:

What's the about :config preference which makes the address bar search the default search (rather than the search engine selected)?

keyword.url iirc

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

midnightclimax posted:

keyword.url iirc

Removed in 23+. You will need this extension to hack it back in https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/keywordurl-hack/

massless
Feb 25, 2012

Modus Trollens posted:

On every page with flash now, lmao really guys come on

Hide Plugin Notifications :)

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

cheers

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is there any way to get Aurora for Android to update without prompting me?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I don't know why this poo poo has gone through so many UX iterations - the first implementation was the best choice by far.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The first implementation doesn't exactly work for people who have no idea what a plugin is or why they'd want to enable one, especially hidden Flash instances that are controlled by JavaScript.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

The first implementation doesn't exactly work for people who have no idea what a plugin is or why they'd want to enable one, especially hidden Flash instances that are controlled by JavaScript.

Pretty much this. Mozilla did a bunch of user research and found that the UI was just confusing a large number of people. Software kinda has to cater to the stupids since, unlike the smart people, they don't know enough to find and install add-ons to get the interface they want (if they even know what they want).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Avenging Dentist posted:

Pretty much this. Mozilla did a bunch of user research and found that the UI was just confusing a large number of people. Software kinda has to cater to the stupids since, unlike the smart people, they don't know enough to find and install add-ons to get the interface they want (if they even know what they want).

That's fine, but they broke the about :config switch to turn off the new GUI & notification for smart people.

As is, I can't use the feature at all and have to still rely on flashblock. Which has options, a whitelist, and doesn't pop-up a nag message on every page.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Software kinda has to cater to the stupids
Are there really that many "stupids" still using Firefox? Unless you're hooked on add-ons, you're probably using Chrome or IE. Mozilla seems to think it's still 2009 where they had a full third of the desktop market and were still on the rise. Instead it's been a steady decline since 2010 and now they're down to something like 17%.

I'm sure our resident Mozilla evangelist will tell me that the whole point is to win those users back, but how realistic is that? How much time is being spent on designing a product for the people who aren't using it, when they could be designing it for the people who still are? How low do the numbers have to get before someone at Mozilla decides to just say gently caress it and do to the desktop version of Firefox what they did to Thunderbird?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

xamphear posted:

Are there really that many "stupids" still using Firefox? Unless you're hooked on add-ons, you're probably using Chrome or IE. Mozilla seems to think it's still 2009 where they had a full third of the desktop market and were still on the rise. Instead it's been a steady decline since 2010 and now they're down to something like 17%.

I'm sure our resident Mozilla evangelist will tell me that the whole point is to win those users back, but how realistic is that? How much time is being spent on designing a product for the people who aren't using it, when they could be designing it for the people who still are? How low do the numbers have to get before someone at Mozilla decides to just say gently caress it and do to the desktop version of Firefox what they did to Thunderbird?

They need to win those users back. Their business model isn't to cater to power or smart users. It's to cater to as many users as possible, even those that don't even know what add-ons are. Those google searches aren't generating themselves.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

xamphear posted:

17% is still a shitton of people, especially since a bunch of spergs use Chrome as well.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So after updating to the latest version 26.0, it seems Download Statusbar no longer works, does anyone have a good replacement for this addon that brings back similar functionality?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Got a weird, annoying little hassle with Aurora 27a2 (32 bit) on Windows 7 64-bit. For the last week or so, Aurora throws an error about a non-responsive process when I try to open a link from another application-- mIRC, Steam, whatever. That is, unless I start Aurora by clicking on one of those links, after which everything is hunky dory.

Is there a way to fix this, or is it just an unfortunate, temporary side-effect of using the not-quite nightlies? The workaround isn't hugely onerous, but it is kind of annoying.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Im_Special posted:

So after updating to the latest version 26.0, it seems Download Statusbar no longer works, does anyone have a good replacement for this addon that brings back similar functionality?

It's still working for me, as far as I can tell. Maybe you're on an older version of the addon?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-statusbar/reviews/

Lots of people are having issues with it now that 26.0 rolled out, I'm on the latest version of it 0.9.10 which came out on October 28, 2011... Seems pretty dead at this point. Someone in those reviews point out this http://www.dnubs.com/ (Mod Edit: This is malware) but I don't feel conformable downloading something that's super new and on some offsite that no one has heard of before, hopefully that will get it's own page on Firefox's addon site and get some reviews to back it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 12, 2013

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Im_Special posted:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-statusbar/reviews/

Lots of people are having issues with it now that 26.0 rolled out, I'm on the latest version of it 0.9.10 which came out on October 28, 2011... Seems pretty dead at this point. Someone in those reviews point out this http://www.dnubs.com/ but I don't feel conformable downloading something that's super new and on some offsite that no one has heard of before, hopefully that will get it's own page on Firefox's addon site and get some reviews to back it.

That's almost as old as my beloved Mouse Gestures Redox -_-

The replacement (DNub, what a stupid name) is already up on addons.mozilla.org (preliminarily) so I assume it's probably safe to give it a go and see how it feels:

Mod Edit: Removed malware link.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 12, 2013

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Dice Dice Baby posted:

The replacement (DNub, what a stupid name) is already up on addons.mozilla.org (preliminarily) so I assume it's probably safe to give it a go and see how it feels: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-nubs/

So holy poo poo, That stupid name of an addon DNubs actually was malicious according so some mozilla dev's and firefox pulled their page last night.

Hope none of you guys gave that add-on worth a try. Guess the moral here is don't install unverified extensions from unknown authors from offsite websites that just magically pop up, wait for Mozilla and some reviews first.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 12, 2013

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Dice Dice Baby posted:

One day (not soon), I'm just going to rewrite that add-on.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Im_Special posted:

So holy poo poo, That stupid name of an addon DNubs actually was malicious according so some mozilla dev's and firefox pulled their page last night.
Thanks, I edited the previous posts to remove malware links. As much as I'd love to believe there are reasonable exceptions, in general if an add-on wasn't malicious it would be hosted on AMO.

E: If it gets approved on AMO then you can link to that. It doesn't sound like it qualifies for approval though.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 12, 2013

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Some forum posters over at mozillazine and I guess me too may have jumped the gun early on whether Dnubs is actually malicious or not, it might not be, the code is all obfuscated but it's being reviews, I'd still wait until it officially gets a page of its own and a few hundred downloads with good reviews first though.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
The original developer of DownloadStatusBar says that DNubs doesn't contain the malware that the other poster claimed - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=13246697#p13246697

It's apparently still under review by Mozilla. So it may not necessarily be malware; right now I don't think it's clear if it is or not.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I've been having an issue on 3 computers upon upgrading to Firefox 26, where a background window would suddenly take focus for seemingly no reason. For instance, for my job, I'd have a window in the back with our site inventory, and another window in the front to compare that inventory with Amazon, and the work window in back would suddenly take focus and pop in front. Happened the other way around as well, and on 2 XP machines + my Win 8.1 laptop.

Anyone else encounter this?

e: It's also been happening with my downloads window, and the browser window. The downloads window took focus and popped in front of the browser window seemingly at random (the download didn't finish, didn't stall, it was at ~50% completion).

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 13, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
So has any brave soul taken up the mantel and continued Tabs Utilities (Lite) by any chance? Or Load Tabs Progressively/Reload Tabs Progressively?

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

GrizzlyCow posted:

So has any brave soul taken up the mantel and continued Tabs Utilities (Lite) by any chance? Or Load Tabs Progressively/Reload Tabs Progressively?

Load Tabs Progressively works, but you have to downgrade to version 0.9.9 and turn off compatibility checking. I believe that was all there was to it, and that you don't have to change the version number inside the xpi, but I could be mistaken.

Awesome_Tool
Dec 10, 2008
n/a delete meeeh

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've got a trivial problem that still manages to irritate me, when I select cells in a graph and tab out and back, those cells are no longer selected. The text is highlighted instead.

Like this:

And if I leave the tab and then return:

It never used to do this is the other versions and I really don't know why they would change it. I would really appreciate it if anyone knew of a way to make Firefox stop deselecting the cells.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
There's now another replacement for Download Statusbar for Firefox 26 called (shockingly) Download Status Bar
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-status-bar/
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2782661

Do the addons all undergo review before they're placed up for download on addons.mozilla.org?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Scott808 posted:

Do the addons all undergo review before they're placed up for download on addons.mozilla.org?

If they haven't been reviewed, they're not visible in search results and they have a warning that says they haven't been reviewed.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
These people are insane. They took the most used and best loved browser and have made it too irritating to get people to switch to, and are losing more and more of the people they already had.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

FRINGE posted:

These people are insane. They took the most used and best loved browser and have made it too irritating to get people to switch to, and are losing more and more of the people they already had.

Honestly, I've seen people make this exact argument with every browser. I think it boils down more to the fact that people hate change.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Avenging Dentist posted:

Honestly, I've seen people make this exact argument with every browser. I think it boils down more to the fact that people hate change.
No one likes relearning UI. Its a complete waste of time when its still just a browser. Im one of the last holdouts at work using FF.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

FRINGE posted:

No one likes relearning UI. Its a complete waste of time when its still just a browser. Im one of the last holdouts at work using FF.

If you prefer a slower pace of UI updates, you can use the ESR releases. While they're designed for enterprises, there's nothing stopping end users from using them.

I haven't found it difficult to relearn anything in Firefox (although I run nightlies on one machine, so I usually know what changes are due on the release branch), and if anything, I use fewer add-ons than I used to, since Firefox has fixed a lot of the issues I had. Case in point: I stopped using Download Status Bar once the new download manager came to Firefox, since that was close enough to what I wanted that I saw no point in an add-on anymore.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Scott808 posted:

There's now another replacement for Download Statusbar for Firefox 26 called (shockingly) Download Status Bar

It's lacking in the basic features that made the old one great, though.

I downgraded my FF at work, and turned off updates at home. It's too good to just have it suddenly disappear.

FRINGE posted:

I agree, it definitely was the most popular and most loved browser, and they definitely have been tinkering too much with things that don't seem to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Scott808 posted:

I've been using this for a few days now, its pretty good (not like there are other options), its still missing a lot of features but its in very rapid development getting 1-2 updates a day with new features getting added each time that bring it closer to what Download Statusbar was, in a week or two it'll probably be an exact replica.