Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Stuff the Jade Empire license. Do a proper Ancient China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I do want an Urban Fantasy game they talked about wanting to make.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Sensuki posted:

I have wanted a kung fu RPG set in china every the Legend of Wulin Heroes lp. There's so much crazy poo poo you could do in that setting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I think a WWII RPG set in the Pacific theatre where you play a Chinese soldier would be incredible. But that is NEVER going to happen. Ever.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

For custom weapons, sure, but some weapons were "special" with attributes that were very specific situations, like Holy Avenger and Assassin's dagger (which added death attack modifiers). Maybe I was looking in the wrong section, I'll need to recheck my manuals.

Come to think, I've always thought it was weird that +1, +2 etc. were magic modifiers, when it made more sense to me as a kid that they'd be "quality of weapon" in terms of how masterwork items work. And then I thought it'd make sense that the better quality the weapon was, the more magic modifiers it would be able to hold.

But, eh, dumb traditions.

I'm positive theres stuff like the Holy Avenger in the game and a huge list of special weapons somewhere. I want to say maybe it just wasn't in the base PHB though.

For the 'Obsidian make a game with IP x' topic I kinda always wanted a 40k rpg, running around as a part of the Inquisition in that kind of absence of morality universe sounds like something they would pull off.

clockworks
Apr 3, 2011

DrManiac posted:

I have wanted a kung fu RPG set in china every the Legend of Wulin Heroes lp. There's so much crazy poo poo you could do in that setting.

A little off topic, but the game Prince of Qin is a really good wuxia rpg. Its an alt history rpg set in ancient China with a open world and Baldur's Gate type combat. Not the most polished game, but I really enjoyed playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhPIyu0N7gA

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

kingcom posted:

I'm positive theres stuff like the Holy Avenger in the game and a huge list of special weapons somewhere. I want to say maybe it just wasn't in the base PHB though.

For the 'Obsidian make a game with IP x' topic I kinda always wanted a 40k rpg, running around as a part of the Inquisition in that kind of absence of morality universe sounds like something they would pull off.

Moral choices would consist of killing the heretic or killing the heretic painfully.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

I think a WWII RPG set in the Pacific theatre where you play a Chinese soldier would be incredible. But that is NEVER going to happen. Ever.
The problem with these kind of ideas is that Obsidian has always been heavy on game-story integration in RPGs. Consider how TNO increases in power by regaining his memories or how the Exile siphons the force from the people he kills/does quests for. The RPG elements in Alpha Protocol didn't have anything to do with the story and thus it felt a bit jarring to level up by killing not-Bin Laden.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah, Alpha Protocol would probably work better as sci-fi, where you can just have a cloaking device instead of inexplicably being able to turn invisible sometimes. To be fair I really can't think of a way to have skills and abilities like that in a real world setting without getting unreality involved.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Alpha Protocol was more James Bond with magic gadgets. It's not like it was ever supposed to be 100% realistic.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
I can honestly say I'm more interested in Pillars of Eternity than any other suggestion I've read in this thread so far. Generic fantasy done right with its own brand new identity and good storytelling is the most enticing part of this game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Currently salivating over an Obsidian Mass Effect game. Imagine if they'd had that universe from the start.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

1stGear posted:

Moral choices would consist of killing the heretic or killing the heretic painfully.

No, you'd have a choice to Interrogate or Execute heretics, and the Execute option's the Paragon one. Also, every 'paragon' option you take only makes the world worse :allears:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Before the discussion toootally moves on I gotta slide in here and say I've been hoping for an open-world-y character-create-y choice-and-consequences-y wuxia game forever, and if Obsidian can't do one then I hope y'all can bug someone who can.
It would be hard to both do right and make presentable in the west. Theres a lot of implicit knowledge for the player in fantasy-Europe that would have to be carefully explicit (without being obnoxious) for a western audience to play an RPG set in fantasy China. (Excepting taoist-nerds and kungfu nerds, which are a rarity.)

I would like to see Rope Kid go insane doing this though. :D

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Just adding my voice to the echo chamber her but seriously, an Obsidian-made wuxia RPG would pretty much be my Perfect Game. I'm still super excited for whatever it's going to be but man, that's going to be running through my head now.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
So it looks like no Feargus interview is forthcoming. I wonder if the article was written before they realised the website was gonna be delayed several weeks, and now it's too close to Christmas for them to launch a KS?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

kingcom posted:

No, it's in the PHB1. It has like four special properties besides the bonuses to attack, damage, and crits that all magic weapons get, so I'm not sure what Mord's complaining about.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

coffeetable posted:

So it looks like no Feargus interview is forthcoming. I wonder if the article was written before they realised the website was gonna be delayed several weeks, and now it's too close to Christmas for them to launch a KS?

I would have thought that even if it had have been written two weeks ago, it still would be been too close to Christmas to make a KS wise. Everyone will have already spent all their money on presents. Or at least be planning to.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

CottonWolf posted:

I would have thought that even if it had have been written two weeks ago, it still would be been too close to Christmas to make a KS wise. Everyone will have already spent all their money on presents. Or at least be planning to.

The backer website was supposed to be ready more quite a while ago - check the "Dates and Deadlines" box on the right hand side of the right hand screen. Backers were supposed to be finalizing their orders by November 31st.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Before the discussion toootally moves on I gotta slide in here and say I've been hoping for an open-world-y character-create-y choice-and-consequences-y wuxia game forever, and if Obsidian can't do one then I hope y'all can bug someone who can.

FRINGE posted:

It would be hard to both do right and make presentable in the west. Theres a lot of implicit knowledge for the player in fantasy-Europe that would have to be carefully explicit (without being obnoxious) for a western audience to play an RPG set in fantasy China. (Excepting taoist-nerds and kungfu nerds, which are a rarity.)

I would like to see Rope Kid go insane doing this though. :D

DrManiac posted:

Sensuki posted:

Well if you guys are into MMO's there is a wuxia one out there, Age of Wushu http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562960 It's got servers all over the world and it's free to play and completely insane. If you choose to progress along the eunuch route your posture and facial features change and your chat is altered too where you say add things like "you little minx" or "darling lover" and other weird campy insults.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Darkhold posted:

Alpha Protocol was more James Bond with magic gadgets. It's not like it was ever supposed to be 100% realistic.

I think you missed an important aspect of James Bond.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Quantumfate posted:

That palatinate comes from rome's palatine.:ssh:
The specific place "Palatium" became a Latin common noun with derived adjectives that were used to refer to palaces and imperial power. A palatinate is not necessarily the Holy Roman Palatinate or Roman Palatine Hill even on our world. Counties palatine existed in England going back to William the Conquerer. It's the Norman-English use of the term that I was trying to evoke: a territory where the vassal ruler was given close-to-sovereign powers. There isn't an Anglo-Saxon-rooted equivalent to that term because the concept was introduced to England via Normans.

In all places where Aedyrans use Romance-based words, I've tried to specify in the design docs that they took the idea from Vailians.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 13, 2013

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
While we are on the subject of different settings for a game, here is mine:

You are a detective who gets woken up in the middle of the interstellar journey because there was a murder on the spaceship you are on. Was it a faulty ai? Did aliens infiltrate the ship? Is it one of the crew members? Stay tuned to find out!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
PCGamer interview with Josh

also, rope kid, are you guys planning on having narrated Chapter screens like Baldur's Gate did? I'm playing that now and they are pretty cool.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

rope kid posted:

The specific place "Palatium" became a Latin common noun with derived adjectives that were used to refer to palaces and imperial power. A palatinate is not necessarily the Holy Roman Palatinate or Roman Palatine Hill even on our world. Counties palatine existed in England going back to William the Conquerer. It's the Norman-English use of the term that I was trying to evoke: a territory where the vassal ruler was given close-to-sovereign powers. There isn't an Anglo-Saxon-rooted equivalent to that term because the concept was introduced to England via Normans.

In all places where Aedyrans use Romance-based words, I've tried to specify in the design docs that they took the idea from Vailians.

I think it's really cool that you guys go to this level of details when designing but does it happen within Obsidian that you hand out a document and explain the why's and how's to, say, a programmer, and they go "yeah, whatever, nerd. Just give me the ground rules for combat"?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't see why a programmer would have to know that, though. Artists and designers, maybe, but even then they won't want a novel on the Godswar, maybe just a short blurb like 'make this armour look pseudo-Roman' or some such.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

tima posted:

You are a detective who gets woken up in the middle of the interstellar journey because there was a murder on the spaceship you are on. Was it a faulty ai? Did aliens infiltrate the ship? Is it one of the crew members? Stay tuned to find out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrail_Series

e: should specify these are novels. It's basically film noir in space.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 13, 2013

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Gyshall posted:

PCGamer interview with Josh

also, rope kid, are you guys planning on having narrated Chapter screens like Baldur's Gate did? I'm playing that now and they are pretty cool.

Points for getting the phrase "buck wild" into every interview.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tima posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM3co3e7GwU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

tima posted:

If you haven't seen it already, this might interest you:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bischoff/stasis-2d-isometric-scifi-horror-adventure-game

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Male Man posted:

No, it's in the PHB1. It has like four special properties besides the bonuses to attack, damage, and crits that all magic weapons get, so I'm not sure what Mord's complaining about.

Yeah, it was the worst example I could give, since it was the main example given, but... Ugh, just reading it, seems so extremely clinical, I dunno. I think that's my main problem with the books, the presentation is very categorized and locked.

It just doesn't read like there's anything unique with it. It's just the Holy Avenger and there's a +5 and a +6 variant, pick one.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Fuschia tude posted:

I think you missed an important aspect of James Bond.
I honestly can't tell what you're going for here? Either you misread my post and think I said that James Bond has magic gadgets which is pretty close to the truth anyway but wasn't what I was saying, or you...er something. Can you clarify?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah, it was the worst example I could give, since it was the main example given, but... Ugh, just reading it, seems so extremely clinical, I dunno. I think that's my main problem with the books, the presentation is very categorized and locked.

It just doesn't read like there's anything unique with it. It's just the Holy Avenger and there's a +5 and a +6 variant, pick one.

When writing the 4E rule book they took the definition of "rule" "book" to heart. Contrast that to a game like any of the 40k games where you have flavor text and mechanical text all intermingled I can see how it might read as cold and clinical, but in practice it made the rules very easy to read.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
2E & 3E PHB etc were pretty fun to read. 4E books were dryyyyyyy

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
The general theory with the 4E books is that you're not going to be memorizing the lore anyway, (unless you're one of those) so why not just admit you'll be making it up at tabletime?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Male Man posted:

The general theory with the 4E books is that you're not going to be memorizing the lore anyway, (unless you're one of those) so why not just admit you'll be making it up at tabletime?

THIS IS A COMPLETE MISCHARACTERIZATION OF THE ECONOMIC SITUATION OF WESTGATE NYAAAGGHHH :byodood: /lorenerd

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Captain Oblivious posted:

THIS IS A COMPLETE MISCHARACTERIZATION OF THE ECONOMIC SITUATION OF WESTGATE NYAAAGGHHH :byodood: /lorenerd

We need a support group or something. I....I once wrote out an entirely new currency regime for Exalted because the presented one didn't make sense. :froggonk:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gyrotica posted:

We need a support group or something. I....I once wrote out an entirely new currency regime for Exalted because the presented one didn't make sense. :froggonk:

Trap sprung. You have been outed :colbert:

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Trap sprung. You have been outed :colbert:

Oh god don't put me back in the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
I feel awful for asking this but are there going to be romances and banter in PoE? This has probably been asked before. It's not like I get my jollies on game romances but I did like telling Aerie to eat rocks in BG2 and Viconia making fun of her getting her wings chopped off.

• Locked thread