Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
It would annoy the hell out of me if I had to reach for the mouse playing a roguelike. It's such a slow, imprecise method of control relative to the keyboard. The problem with nethack-style input is only the learning curve, once you're used to it nothing is more than ~2 keypresses away, it's very efficient.

But I also far prefer ASCII to graphical tiles, so maybe I'm just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

Most players really use the mouse? I mean I believe you, that's just insane to me. I get annoyed at moving my hands in numpad-only games, I can't fathom switching to the mouse. Vim keys are seared into my brain at this point so maybe I just don't remember the learning curve there. Do people primarily use the mouse for inventory and long-distance movement? I wonder if it is worth submitting a patch for terminal mouse support in ascii mode...

Well, obviously we can't collect statistics for offline games as easily as online ones, but from the stats I remember, more people play the game offline (with tiles) than online. And that has mouse support. Even if you are mostly using the keyboard, the mouse is nice just for things like panning around the minimap. Being able to click inventory items is nice too. Keyboard is still superior for general movement.

Anyway, I wasn't saying that most people necessarily use the mouse, just that it's a valid option for them.

Also worth noting, about 3/4 of online games use the "webtiles" version, which has much more limited mouse support, but it's improving.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
iirc you can use the minimap with the mouse on webtiles, which is great and pretty much the only place where I feel it's more efficient than keyboard only.

And yes, buy tome on steam.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Klaus Kinski posted:

iirc you can use the minimap with the mouse on webtiles, which is great and pretty much the only place where I feel it's more efficient than keyboard only.

And yes, buy tome on steam.

Yeah I use a huge terminal that shows the whole map at all times so I don't miss this, I'm a badplayer. I didn't buy a 2560x1600 monitor to play at 80x25 okay!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Has there been any changes to ToMe's difficulty curve? 95% of fights are boring filler that provide no challenge and lull you into this false sense of security right before you get two-shotted by some random unique that has 35 levels in earthquake or something.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Bouchacha posted:

Has there been any changes to ToMe's difficulty curve? 95% of fights are boring filler that provide no challenge and lull you into this false sense of security right before you get two-shotted by some random unique that has 35 levels in earthquake or something.

Last I played (about a year or two ago) they capped the skill levels uniques could spawn with, so probably?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Bouchacha posted:

It's not quite that bad anymore but random uniques are still the biggest threat to a halfway-skilled player.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Anyone playing Bionic Dues? I'm most of the way through my first playthrough on the default difficulty and default party. It's a sort of party-based lite roguelike; you have 50 days to buff up your party before having to face a final battle, and getting a TPK just means you lose a day (and the enemies get a bit stronger).

I like the fluff and the aesthetic (and the fact that every bot enemy has some hilarious gaping hole in their "build" that makes them unpredictable threats), but I'm really hoping that higher difficulty levels will make for a significant challenge, because once I got some decent AOE and ranged attacks the difficulty curve just took a nosedive. There's not much the enemies can do when you have a weapon with twice their attack range that hits a radius-4 circle and one-hit-kills just about everything. Who cares if you only get 10 shots? The overall flow of gameplay suggests to me that there's a serious snowball effect: once you get stronger than the bots, you'll stay stronger than the bots (they don't have any real catchup mechanisms, in other words).

The loot's very Diablo-like, and works decently well except there's so damned many slots to fill on your party members. Each weapon has three slots, every character has at least two weapons, and then they have a variable number of reactor, shield, propulsion, and computer slots as well (depending on class). I think they really could have just done with a single slot per weapon, at least.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh my, oh my, I may be lost in TOME for some time. What an absurd amount of things to read! There's no reason a 7HP slime should get a massive panel of text for you to intricately go over, but it's there!

Yep, this'd be reason number one why I stopped playing ToME.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I just use a clearer tileset, which allows me to ignore or bump into 90% of monsters.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Anyone playing Bionic Dues? I'm most of the way through my first playthrough on the default difficulty and default party. It's a sort of party-based lite roguelike; you have 50 days to buff up your party before having to face a final battle, and getting a TPK just means you lose a day (and the enemies get a bit stronger).

I like the fluff and the aesthetic (and the fact that every bot enemy has some hilarious gaping hole in their "build" that makes them unpredictable threats), but I'm really hoping that higher difficulty levels will make for a significant challenge, because once I got some decent AOE and ranged attacks the difficulty curve just took a nosedive. There's not much the enemies can do when you have a weapon with twice their attack range that hits a radius-4 circle and one-hit-kills just about everything. Who cares if you only get 10 shots? The overall flow of gameplay suggests to me that there's a serious snowball effect: once you get stronger than the bots, you'll stay stronger than the bots (they don't have any real catchup mechanisms, in other words).

The loot's very Diablo-like, and works decently well except there's so damned many slots to fill on your party members. Each weapon has three slots, every character has at least two weapons, and then they have a variable number of reactor, shield, propulsion, and computer slots as well (depending on class). I think they really could have just done with a single slot per weapon, at least.
I finished a game of Bionic Dues when it first came out, sentry turrets really trivialized it. However, I understand they've been patched to be less amazing! I did have a quick go at the higher difficulties and they do seem like a decent jump in difficulty.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

i played a fair amount of it but the fluff actually kind of turned me off. It felt really unfocused. I also really hated the music and sound bites the robots yell when they die.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004
So in ADOM on Friday the 13th any new character starts cursed. It's cute but also basically impossible to survive cursed at level 1.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Stelas posted:

I just use a clearer tileset, which allows me to ignore or bump into 90% of monsters.

Is there anything besides the OldRPG Tileset? It'd be really cool if the Crawl tileset got translated to ToMe. The default one is way too "muddy".

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

So in ADOM on Friday the 13th any new character starts cursed. It's cute but also basically impossible to survive cursed at level 1.

You could always roll the master race of a human barbarian and start with an amulet of luck, negating this. I'm pretty sure nethack does something similar anyway.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

just change your system clock to tomorrow (or Jan 1st if you're feelin fiesty) temporarily if it bothers you.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

i played a fair amount of it but the fluff actually kind of turned me off. It felt really unfocused. I also really hated the music and sound bites the robots yell when they die.
I have to admit to smiling every time I hear, "Why was I programmed to feel pain!?".

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Naar posted:

I have to admit to smiling every time I hear, "Why was I programmed to feel pain!?".

i thought that was the worst of them actually. It was funny when the simpsons did it 20 years ago.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I turned the music off pretty quickly. There might be an option to turn off the voice clips too; I didn't check because they haven't yet bothered me that much.

My favorite is the EMPbots, though. If you let them walk up to you, then they'll say "I'm not touching you!" and "Does this bother you?" as they follow you everywhere :3:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/11/wot-i-think-bionic-dues/

RPS really loved Bionic Dues, but says it'll take a bit of finetuning before it gets to AI War levels

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've played about half a game so far in Bionic Dues, and it's a great coffee break game (which is why I'm taking so long), and a great start on a game, but it still needs that long-term love from Arcen to really fill its britches. It's definitely solid as-is, but I feel it lacks a layer or two of gameplay or complication.

Arcen's currently working on their new game The Last Federation, so according to their calendar, they're aiming for a new expansion for BD in Feb/Mar 2014. (Bug fixes and base-game adjustments will probably be backported.)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Space Bat posted:

I'm pretty sure nethack does something similar anyway.

:eng101:
Nethack alters global luck for all characters during Friday the 13th (and according to the phase of the moon supposedly). It changes back to normal at the end of the day. Of course, most people scum for luck so early in the game that it basically doesn't matter.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I play Crawl with tiles because it's easier for me to see what is going on. Wouldn't even consider playing without hjkl though, way too slow with the mouse.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Bouchacha posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/11/wot-i-think-bionic-dues/

RPS really loved Bionic Dues, but says it'll take a bit of finetuning before it gets to AI War levels

To each their own i guess. I always give a new arcen game a shot but all of them aside from AI war have seemed really unpolished. I haven't played skyward collapse yet though so I dunno if that's any good.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

andrew smash posted:

To each their own i guess. I always give a new arcen game a shot but all of them aside from AI war have seemed really unpolished. I haven't played skyward collapse yet though so I dunno if that's any good.

Their games generally haven't been successful enough make back development costs. AI War is the special case as it's kept the company in business and provided something like 80% of their revenue.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Whatever happened to A Valley Without Wind 2? I tried the demo and it was disappointingly bad. Did they just abandon it or are they still working on it?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Last stated update was in February. Very likely totally dead.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, that's what happens when you release a fugly game with gently caress all sense of progression and a fair bit of busywork.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Part 2 was a do-over that was free for people that bought the first game. It still didn't really hit the mark. Even early in development of Part 1 it was clear they didn't have a strong idea of what they were going for.

I dunno, it just seems like they're always trying to do some weird twist with their games but they have problems coming up with a gimmick good enough to design a game around. AI War being the exception.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I've played a ton of Dungeon Crawl and only now have taken a serious look at ToME. It's amazing what seeing it on Steam does for my estimation of its quality.

I know nothing about ToME though. Where would I start in getting into it? Is there a good newbie build that's typically recommended like MiBe or GrFi is now in Dungeon Crawl?

Also more than that. If I like Dungeon Crawl would I like ToME? Is it good?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Bo-Pepper posted:

I've played a ton of Dungeon Crawl and only now have taken a serious look at ToME. It's amazing what seeing it on Steam does for my estimation of its quality.

I know nothing about ToME though. Where would I start in getting into it? Is there a good newbie build that's typically recommended like MiBe or GrFi is now in Dungeon Crawl?

Tome is good but it scratches a different itch than crawl. It's more like a turn based Diablo II than anything else although I'm sure nobody agrees with that. Lots of the focus is on playing around with different builds. Start with a bulwark or berserker, they're typical fighter classes and are easy to handle. Once you progress a bit and unlock some stuff, berserker or wyrmic with the anti magic tree is a totally reasonable first win.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Bo-Pepper posted:

ToMe has a lot going for it but the primary difference between it and Crawl is the lack of an ever-present danger. In Crawl you pretty much have to been on your toes throughout the game, you get some popcorn fodder but not much. ToMe is very different in that almost 95% of enemies are pure popcorn that present literally no danger to your character. Instead of just mini-bosses and set uniques (Sigmund, Boris, Pan lords, etc), ToMe also adds randomly generated uniques that until recently had no cap on their skillset. This meant that you could waltz through an entire level and then get two-shotted by a randomly generated unique that you didn't think to check that its skillset before you realized what was going on. Runs ended up being very anti-climactic, since you end up trying to figure out exactly how you died so suddenly rather than acknowledging your own mistake (as you typically do in Crawl).

If ToMe had Crawl's tiles and difficulty curve, I might be willing to consider it the best roguelike out there. The diverse skillset and play styles is very impressive.

Oh and ToMe's lore is overhyped. You'll run across so many letters and text that end with That Was the Last Entry trope.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

So I bought and actually beat the Dungeon of the Endless Alpha the other day. Seems pretty interesting so far. As was mentioned earlier, the game is a strange amalgamation of roguelike and tower defense game. The big mechanic is that you have a crystal you need to protect and bring down lower and lower into the dungeon and as you kill enemies you gain "dust". Every ten dust lets you send power to a room, which will have minor nodes (for turrets) and major nodes, which produces either food or industry. Food is used to heal and level up your heroes, while industry buys new buildings.

The game has a vague aspect of Desktop Dungeons in that the only way you generate more resources, or have enemy waves spawn, is by opening doors. Opening doors reveals new rooms to light, which can have resources, items, blue prints or monsters in them. Also, monster waves will only spawn in rooms you've opened so you can actually create a maze by specifically not opening certain doors to funnel monsters down a specific path. Your heroes come in a couple of different flavors although a lot of the melee heroes blend together as "fast and hard hitting but can't take a hit". It's certainly a 0.1 alpha right now, but it's playable and with more dungeon levels, monsters and heroes along with adding science and research I think it has some great potential. It can be quite hard if you roll bad characters and if one monsters whacks your crystal one to many times you can really death spiral. All in all, I don't mind that I spent nine bucks on it, and if a sort of real time tower defence-ish RL is appealing I'd recommend it, or at least peeping some youtube vids. Only issue I've really had is it doesn't seem to have a windowed mode.

Space Bat fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 14, 2013

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Good God, I just unlocked the final stage in Desktop Dungeons. Nowhere near finishing it yet, but tearing through a legion of level 10 monsters just to reach Horatio is :black101: as gently caress.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Stream of Crypt of the Necrodancer here being played on a ddr pad
http://www.twitch.tv/ikasperr

Can't wait for this game.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe
Infra Arcana is something I've gotten into recently, anyone else played it and have some tips? A pack of mummies paralyzed me and beat me to death. :(

Infra Arcana

Genre: Turn-based RPG
Graphics: Tiles optional
Sounds: Since v15
Platform: Windows, Linux
Let's Plays: Various ones on Youtube, no goon ones
Forks: No, but it's open source (C++)

Essentially, it's Lovecraft meets Blood, roguelike style. Your goal is to infiltrate the Church of the Starry Wisdom in search of the Shining Trapezohedron, a source of forbidden knowledge. Unfortunately, the dungeons beneath are full of reanimated corpses, cultists (shouting phrases from Blood!), Byakhees, mummies, etc. etc. To defeat them, you can use various melee and ranged weapons (including a Tesla cannon and a spike gun that can pin enemies to walls!). It's mainly developed by a guy called Martin Törnqvist, but since v14 it seems to have been open-sourced, so others appear to be contributing too.

The character creation system still seems to be a little bit in flux, but you first choose two traits (like Dextrous, which raises your evade chance and gives you every fourth move free), then two abilities (like Occultist, which lets you memorize a spell for future casting once you read an identified manuscript). Replacing the usual hunger clock is a sanity mechanic - you have a current stress level and a long-term insanity level. Seeing monsters, being in darkened rooms and generally hanging around in a dungeon increases your stress, and when it hits 100% you gain a bit of insanity and can faint, scream, become confused, and so on. Once you go completely insane, your adventure is over. There are a lot of nice touches in the game, such as reanimated corpses often refusing to stay dead once you 'kill' them, the ability to jam doors with iron spikes to stop monsters from following you and call-backs to Lovecraft like the walls in a room suddenly crumbling and a horde of rat-things pouring out. I'm finding it quite a difficult game - apparently there are 30 levels, but I've only gotten to level 7 or so.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I've never heard of Infra Arcana before. It looks pretty neat!

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I've never heard of Infra Arcana before. It looks pretty neat!

I personally wouldn't recommend it at the moment. I spent several hours trying it out and it's very frustrating in a bad way. For reference, my favorite roguelike is probably Adom and I love Sil too, and those games are all about lulling you into a false sense of security and then sucker punching you. My problem with IA is that it's just...not fun. If you run into Reanimated corpses you're pretty hosed. They take too much damage and you can't actually kill them, and the stealth mechanics in IA are broken and useless. It seems like the devs should consider taking a page from Sil where everything gives you EXP and numerous builds are potentially good, from pacifist to fighter man. The only luck I've personally had is a dexterous/tough melee/rapid recoverer who found a suit of armor on floor one and I made it to like floor 7 or 8 before being chain stunned and confused by a million ghosts that spawned on top of me. It does have really nice looking tiles though.

Dec 26, 2012

andrew smash posted:

It's more like a turn based Diablo II than anything else although I'm sure nobody agrees with that.

I agree, actually, I realized this is what it reminded me of awhile back. It's certainly not a bad thing, it just scratches a different itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe

Space Bat posted:

I personally wouldn't recommend it at the moment. I spent several hours trying it out and it's very frustrating in a bad way. For reference, my favorite roguelike is probably Adom and I love Sil too, and those games are all about lulling you into a false sense of security and then sucker punching you. My problem with IA is that it's just...not fun. If you run into Reanimated corpses you're pretty hosed. They take too much damage and you can't actually kill them, and the stealth mechanics in IA are broken and useless. It seems like the devs should consider taking a page from Sil where everything gives you EXP and numerous builds are potentially good, from pacifist to fighter man. The only luck I've personally had is a dexterous/tough melee/rapid recoverer who found a suit of armor on floor one and I made it to like floor 7 or 8 before being chain stunned and confused by a million ghosts that spawned on top of me. It does have really nice looking tiles though.
I've played it for a while now, I agree that it would be more fun if it weren't so punishing. I think the developer has the attitude that actually winning the game should be a once-in-a-lifetime event. It also seems like the saving and loading mechanics are broken at the moment since you can lose the permanent intrinsics from your initial trait choices and it doesn't save the spells you know. You can permanently kill reanimated corpses, though - either kill them in such a way that they don't leave a corpse, such as by doing lots of damage in one hit, or re-kill them once and they stop resurrecting.