Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adeptus
May 1, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

- Ciphers: Use magic fueled by hitting people.

I don't care what game or system it's in, any class that can be summed up with that sentence has to be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lotish posted:

Breaking up with Morrigan is pretty funny. Especially if you string her along by making her believe your love can really work and then you gently caress the elf.

I need more info on this.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

StashAugustine posted:

- Druids: Not much info aside from shapeshifting.

Very powerful crowd control (damage?) apparently.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
NWN2 didn't really have romances because the people you could romance were two emotionally broken men or an elf like four times your age that had been stalking you for your entire life. AP had romances cause it's a staple of the spy genre but the women were -developed and did things other than lust for cock. Also in one of them you basically get raped so that was something.

In short, if there's any developer I trust with video game romances, it's Obsidian.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Captain Oblivious posted:

3.5 D&D didn't really have any mechanisms for providing disincentives to hitting another party member except doing a poo poo load of damage until they decide prioritizing you is a good idea, so they'd basically map more closely to any given 4E Defender class than a 3.5 Edition Fighter.

Did the fact you provoked an attack of opportunity when trying to walk away from the fighter and toward the wizard not count as a tanking mechanic? I mean it was nowhere near as complex as what some of the defender classes are capable of but it served a similar function.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

Did the fact you provoked an attack of opportunity when trying to walk away from the fighter and toward the wizard not count as a tanking mechanic? I mean it was nowhere near as complex as what some of the defender classes are capable of but it served a similar function.

It was basically never anywhere near enough. You need more than the potential for mere damage (if a single hit from an Attack of Opportunity is enough to scare them they're probably a non-threat to begin with), you need to actively make your target shittier at whatever they're trying to do, which is where Marks and Aegises and all that poo poo came in.

Edit: The other issue is that the Wizard is probably sturdier than you to begin with and doesn't need your tanking in 3.5

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 13, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I need more info on this.

It's been a while, but Morrigan starts out treating your relationship like it's a common daliance and you mean nothing to her. If you get deep enough into it, she tries to break it off because she's feeling honest to god emotions and she doesn't like it. You can convince her to stick it out, and then (in my case) I decided I was going to get the achievement for sleeping with everyone or something, so I hosed Zevran. She got hella mad, but I was able to convince her to take me back after I broke up with Zev (who was cool with it). Then I decided to date Leliana, but she wouldn't sleep with me until I broke up with Morrigan. Morrigan was so confused, and was mad jealous every time I talked with her after Leliana and I hooked up.

The fact that you can gently caress with a character's emotions that badly was pretty great. Considering in DA:O they had so many different ways for party members to just ditch you (or attack you!) regardless of approval ratings, I'm surprised they didn't include one for Morrigan to go full Flemeth mode all over you in camp or something if you played with her emotions like that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

That is atrocious but it's Morrigan so that makes it okay :golfclap:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

2house2fly posted:

Romance nothing, give me a good bromance.

Garrus/Shepard :allears:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
[img-wyatt_earp_and_doc_holliday_shaking_hands_while_riding_horses_from_tombstone.gif]

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

StashAugustine posted:

- Barbarians: Fast and cause lots of damage.

Barbs are the melee with the focus on AE I think.

Priests and Paladins got shuffled around a bit, not sure where they're at right now.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Scorchy posted:

Barbs are the melee with the focus on AE I think.

Priests and Paladins got shuffled around a bit, not sure where they're at right now.

I *think* Paladins have very short range, very powerful buffs, while Priests have wider-range but less-powerful buffs.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Re: rangerchat, I think ropekid mentioned at one point that combat-wise they were sort of the ranged analog to PE rogues: high single-target burst damage but mediocre crowd management capability. I don't think there's been an update on the site that explains them in depth, besides an offhanded remark in an unrelated update that mentioned the shared health pool between the Ranger and their Animal Companion. If someone can dig up the quote(s) please correct me though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Garrus/Shepard :allears:

Strangely enough, I've always felt that even a FemShep romancing Garrus makes a pretty good bromance in addition to the regular -mance.

Dec 26, 2012

It was basically never anywhere near enough. You need more than the potential for mere damage (if a single hit from an Attack of Opportunity is enough to scare them they're probably a non-threat to begin with), you need to actively make your target shittier at whatever they're trying to do, which is where Marks and Aegises and all that poo poo came in.

Edit: The other issue is that the Wizard is probably sturdier than you to begin with and doesn't need your tanking in 3.5

Very much this. And even if you take into account feats like Stand Still that sacrifice damage for movement-stopping, as levels scaled up, the enemies you cared about stopping often were nigh-immune to it, had reach for days to not really be effected by it, could fly, or were casters so who cares.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Barbarians have great group-fighting abilities (both melee offense and personal defense).

Rangers and rogues both lack crowd control capabilities, but rangers have the edge defensively due to range and the interference their animal companions can run. Animal companions share Stamina and Health with the ranger, but they are very durable, DT-wise.

Rogues have the highest single-hit damage potential and they have a lot of ways to qualify for Sneak Attacks. There are no creature type restrictions on Sneak Attack and it's automatically triggered by a lot of different conditions on the target. Additionally, rogues gain more and more ways to cause those conditions!

Paladins have modal auras, powerful single-target support abilities, high defenses, and a Smite analogue in Flames of Devotion.

Priests have better support abilities, worse defenses, and some crowd control abilities that paladins completely lack. Also a few single-target strike spells.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

rope kid posted:

Barbarians have great group-fighting abilities (both melee offense and personal defense).

Rangers and rogues both lack crowd control capabilities, but rangers have the edge defensively due to range and the interference their animal companions can run. Animal companions share Stamina and Health with the ranger, but they are very durable, DT-wise.

Rogues have the highest single-hit damage potential and they have a lot of ways to qualify for Sneak Attacks. There are no creature type restrictions on Sneak Attack and it's automatically triggered by a lot of different conditions on the target. Additionally, rogues gain more and more ways to cause those conditions!

Paladins have modal auras, powerful single-target support abilities, high defenses, and a Smite analogue in Flames of Devotion.

Priests have better support abilities, worse defenses, and some crowd control abilities that paladins completely lack.

Describe Druids for me like one of your french girls.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Describe Druids for me like one of your french girls.

Hairy, constantly smoking weird plants, but often someone you want around? :downsrim:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Then I guess Chanters are just hobos with sticks.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Druids are crowd control kings and their beast modes give them nice single-target strikes + various special powers.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Dial wielding vs sword and board vs two shield/confused turtle?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Cheston posted:

Then I guess Chanters are just hobos with sticks.

Offensive AOE kings, iirc

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rope kid posted:

Druids are crowd control kings and their beast modes give them nice single-target strikes + various special powers.

Will druids be able to turn into fantastic beasts (e.g wyverns, trolls etc) at higher levels or are they limited to the usual menagerie? Or if they haven't been finalized yet, which do you think you'd go for?

EDIT: Mind you, if you're not playing as a Landsknecht you're doing it wrong:

Is the Palatinate a direct Holy Roman Empire analogue, or is there a more pseudo-German nation in Eternity?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 14, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

rope kid posted:

Will Druids get anything that will capture the glee of shutting down casters with Insect Swarm?

THE BEEEEEEEES

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

coffeetable posted:

Offensive AOE kings, iirc
The have cycling lists of low power, high AoE passive buffs and debuffs and they can periodically use invocations, which are pretty powerful spells.

Pariah Messiah
Feb 16, 2012
I have recently come across the knowledge that this game will use RTwP combat, wheras Torment's will be turn based.

Looks like I made the wrong choice on which to back.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Well, don't leave us in suspense

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pariah Messiah posted:

I have recently come across the knowledge that this game will use RTwP combat, wheras Torment's will be turn based.

Looks like I made the wrong choice on which to back.

:ohdear:

oh no

noooooooooo

ed: don't tell us. Let the suspense ride. It'll make me not care less.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Speaking of RtWP combat mechanics, rope kid have you looked at what AARKLASH: Legacy has done with its combat design?

There's some very interesting things in that game that I haven't really seen done anywhere else.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Much as I love turn-based combat, I'm not sad I backed PoE. No game is ever going to be EXACTLY what you wanted; you'll just have be satisfied with 99% of the decisions being in your favor.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

rope kid on OEI forums posted:

Resolve modifies the duration of any effect generated by the character. Rogues gain Sneak Attack bonuses against enemies with a wide variety of conditions on them. Rogues are capable of inflicting many of those conditions on their own. If a rogue has a low Resolve, those conditions have commensurately shorter durations.

Which along with information from the interviews means the attributes shake out to:

Strength: deflection defense
Constitution: fortitude defense
Dexterity: reflex defense
Intellect: will defense
Resolve: effect duration
Perception: effect radius/range (?)

Might be secondary effects as well, but assuming that damage types are fairly balanced and the AI isn't too dumb, it looks like there are indeed no dump stats :allears:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

rope kid posted:

The have cycling lists of low power, high AoE passive buffs and debuffs and they can periodically use invocations, which are pretty powerful spells.
Weren't those called Roars last time we heard about them? They're a great concept no matter what they're called, but that was pretty cool. You're walking around chanting random gibberish and you periodically break into huge screams, that sounds like a class I want to play.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Can you actually dual wield the shield in this game? Please make it a choice, so I can have a dual shielded paladin or some ridiculous bullshit like that. I like a good challenge run.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Drakyn posted:

Weren't those called Roars last time we heard about them? They're a great concept no matter what they're called, but that was pretty cool. You're walking around chanting random gibberish and you periodically break into huge screams, that sounds like a class I want to play.
I know! On the other hand, fighters sound great in this game. And then there's the "fuel my spells by hitting you really hard" Cipher class. And rogues sound pretty sweet, given that they're not just thiefy types. And then Monks seem like a great player class...

But yeah, I'm decently convinced I'm probably playing a Chanter or Cipher first. I think.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Drakyn posted:

They were, but invocations seemed more appropriate and allow us to do more, conceptually, with their effects. Roars were conceived of as almost entirely offensive blasts. Invocations are powerful spells of many types, but the intervals between using them are long -- and they can never be used at the start of a fight.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Another Person posted:

Can you actually dual wield the shield in this game? Please make it a choice, so I can have a dual shielded paladin or some ridiculous bullshit like that. I like a good challenge run.
Pretty sure it's been ruled out. In any event including such it means a lot of modeling and animation / programming to be spent on a joke.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

So any idea what happened with that big announcement that was supposed to be on RPS?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

rope kid posted:

They were, but invocations seemed more appropriate and allow us to do more, conceptually, with their effects. Roars were conceived of as almost entirely offensive blasts. Invocations are powerful spells of many types, but the intervals between using them are long -- and they can never be used at the start of a fight.
The whole system you're describing here seems like a really, really nice way to avoid the typical sucks-at-all-trades-master-of-none issue with a class like the chanter or bard. You do a bit of everything all the time, but periodically you pick one thing, any one thing of the many, many things you do, and nail it out of the goddamned park.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

hangedman1984 posted:

So any idea what happened with that big announcement that was supposed to be on RPS?

Feargus Urquhart announced the upcoming Obsidian Kickstarter. They're going to do next years Madden.

Furism posted:

I thought I would mention here that GOG is having a sale for 48h; you can grab Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics for free, NWN is at $4.99, NWN2 at 9.99$ and so on. Unfortunately IE games are apparently not part of the sale, and the website is totally overloaded at the moment.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

rope kid posted:

Man, even if it comes down to weird names like 'healing roar', roar is just such a better name than invocation.

• Locked thread