Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Steve Austin was a man who believed so much in his character that when he was in the ring with Mike Tyson he was somehow able to convince himself Stone Cold could go toe to toe with that man if he had to. Nothing was going to stop him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JPrime posted:

Was anyone really buying a Powers of Pain shirt? :psyduck:

As a kid I was enthralled by The Powers of Pain right up to the moment they got beaten by Demolition, and I became enraged that they could feel pain after all. They were supposed to be in control of their pain receptors! :argh:

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
What's up with the two different versions of Cactus Jack's theme song in the WWE? For the longest time he used a very specific theme, which I remember hearing all the way up to his No Way Out match with Triple H in 2000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPWwO4N6Nhk

However, in a couple of more recently issued DVD's featuring some of his old matches, as well as the last couple of WWE games he's been featured in, he's been using this different (and in my opinion, inferior) entrance theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWThse3qyHk

Is this a licensing thing?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Was Joey Style's retirement promo (he mocks God, etc) the first "shoot" promo they did on Raw/WWE in the since of mikes getting cut, etc., Pipebomb style or were there ones before it? I know there had been "off script" moments like Pillman threatening to shoot Steve Austin, etc., but was that the first time someone just stood on the stage and talked bad about the company?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

What's up with the two different versions of Cactus Jack's theme song in the WWE? For the longest time he used a very specific theme, which I remember hearing all the way up to his No Way Out match with Triple H in 2000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPWwO4N6Nhk

However, in a couple of more recently issued DVD's featuring some of his old matches, as well as the last couple of WWE games he's been featured in, he's been using this different (and in my opinion, inferior) entrance theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWThse3qyHk

Is this a licensing thing?

yea

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

projecthalaxy posted:

Was Joey Style's retirement promo (he mocks God, etc) the first "shoot" promo they did on Raw/WWE in the since of mikes getting cut, etc., Pipebomb style or were there ones before it? I know there had been "off script" moments like Pillman threatening to shoot Steve Austin, etc., but was that the first time someone just stood on the stage and talked bad about the company?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L-zA0OchHE

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
I remember during the first heel JR run, he came down to the announcer's table on Raw and denounced the match that was going on (Crush vs Aldo Montoya, I think) as a "preliminary match" as he rambled on about things he thought were more important to talk about while Vince was trying to call it as a competitive match.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 14, 2013

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Perigryn posted:

I remember during the first heel JR run

...there was a second? They tried that terrible idea twice?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

...there was a second? They tried that terrible idea twice?

The first JR heel turn was in late '98/early '99 after he had a another seizure because of his Bell's Palsy. Vince took him off TV around November (which is why Cole is announcing during Foley's first title win on the night of the Fingerpoke of Doom) and didn't bring him back until January or so. At that point he heeled it up by setting up an announce table right in front of Lawler and Cole (complete with "JR" in the WWF scratch logo font) and spent every broadcast ripping everything apart and insulting Cole. He was taken off TV again and didn't return until he was brought out to announce the main event at WrestleMania XV at Austin's request. I don't think he was ever turned heel again and he wasn't taken off the desk for at least another six or seven years.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The first JR heel turn was in late '98/early '99 after he had a another seizure because of his Bell's Palsy. Vince took him off TV around November (which is why Cole is announcing during Foley's first title win on the night of the Fingerpoke of Doom) and didn't bring him back until January or so. At that point he heeled it up by setting up an announce table right in front of Lawler and Cole (complete with "JR" in the WWF scratch logo font) and spent every broadcast ripping everything apart and insulting Cole. He was taken off TV again and didn't return until he was brought out to announce the main event at WrestleMania XV at Austin's request. I don't think he was ever turned heel again and he wasn't taken off the desk for at least another six or seven years.

You're describing the second JR heel turn. Video of the first one is three posts or so above yours.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Perry Normal posted:

You're describing the second JR heel turn. Video of the first one is three posts or so above yours.

I know. And Pinstripe Hourglass asked "…there was a second?" so I thought he was asking what the second one was. If he had said "…there was a first?" I wouldn't have bothered because he would have been referring to that one.

Or we're just all confused.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The first heel turn was when he "brought back" Razor and Diesel (the fakes who did absolutely nothing of consequence in those gimmicks), the second was the one Corky described.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I know. And Pinstripe Hourglass asked "…there was a second?" so I thought he was asking what the second one was. If he had said "…there was a first?" I wouldn't have bothered because he would have been referring to that one.

Or we're just all confused.

Re-read the first line of your last post.

You described the second heel turn, but called it the first. That's where the confusion is coming from.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Q_res posted:

Re-read the first line of your last post.

You described the second heel turn, but called it the first. That's where the confusion is coming from.

gently caress, sorry. I had to retype that three times because Safari kept crashing on my iPhone causing me to lose everything each time. My mistake, I described the second heel turn. The first was the Fake Diesel/Fake Razor bullshit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grant DaNasty posted:

Has anyone ever figured out what WWE had against Harry Smith? I remember reading a few years ago something about how he failed a drug test, but they waited until after his main roster debut to suspend him to make an example of him after the beginning of the Wellness Program. Also on MLW Radio Court Bauer talks about how him and the rest of the writers were forbidden to come up with any ideas for him.
Maybe they hated his working style? He's said in an interview that they thought some of his favourite stuff was too dangerous.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

So I recently got bored and was looking at the card for all of the In Your House PPVs. Early on they would have 2 or 3 dark matches before the PPV went on air, and then 2 or 3 more dark matches after the main event. Why were they running so many dark matches, and furthermore why were they running dark matches after the PPV was done?

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
Q: Someone mentioned a few pages back that Great Sasuke broke his skull in two matches, but kept going. Apparently one of those matches was the 1996 J-Cup against Ultimo Dragon. Anyone know what the other match was?

Q: Anybody know what Michael Cole's tattoos are?
http://wrestlingonearth.com/the-worst-back-tattoos-in-wrestling/

Q: I was re-watching the Cena/Punk 2011 MITB match, and noticed that Cole mentioned the Montreal Screwjob early in the match ("to give you an idea of what this title means to the company, Vince screwed over Bret Hart because he was afraid blah blah etc", to paraphrase). Have there been other instances where they've openly acknowledged it in such a way?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bradzilla posted:

So I recently got bored and was looking at the card for all of the In Your House PPVs. Early on they would have 2 or 3 dark matches before the PPV went on air, and then 2 or 3 more dark matches after the main event. Why were they running so many dark matches, and furthermore why were they running dark matches after the PPV was done?

The earliest IYH's were only ninety minutes/two hours long, so they wanted to give the fans in attendence something more for the money. Also, the first IYH's were on 15 bucks on PPV

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The first heel turn was when he "brought back" Razor and Diesel (the fakes who did absolutely nothing of consequence in those gimmicks), the second was the one Corky described.

Q: I feel like Fake Diesel was actually somewhat protected, whereas fake Razor looked like a total jobber out there. Fake Diesel was actually in the final five of the '97 Royal Rumble, if I remember right. Is that true, or am I mis-remembering? Jacobs got several tries at various roles until he became Kane, so maybe they really wanted Jacobs to do something. Then again, I've read a lot that suggests the only real purpose of Fake Razor and Diesel was to prove they legally had a purpose to retaining the characters of employees who'd left the company.

Q: On air, has the WWF/E ever acknowledged that Jerry Lawler and Honky Tonk Man are related? If no, does Lawler even make inside comments re: HTM when he's appeared?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

I think they're his kids.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Basically the idea with the In Your House shows was to air the worn out house show marriages at the end of their touring runs, so what you got on TV was a half a house show. And they wanted to give the live crowd a full house show, so you had dark matches. That's why very little happened in terms of starting fresh stories or important title changes happened there, but you did get plenty of continuations and blowoffs. This was also basically the end of the model they'd been using since the beginning of the PPV era where you were supposed to go to the houses to see the "end" of most stories and television existed as much to support those houses at the PPVs.

That lasted about a year or a year and a half before they started booking the television as weekly episodic stuff for monthly PPV cycles instead of quarterly PPV cycles towards the end of 1996/beginning of 1997 area, and then by the middle of 1997 they just decided to make all of those IYH shows "full" PPVs because the discount price wasn't helping things, and then eventually they canned the IYH name entirely because that gave the perception of unimportance.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Red posted:

Q: On air, has the WWF/E ever acknowledged that Jerry Lawler and Honky Tonk Man are related? If no, does Lawler even make inside comments re: HTM when he's appeared?

Am I misremembering or do Lawler and HTM not get on? I'm sure I remember HTM saying something really scathing about Lawler in a shoot or something, but I might be getting him confused.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Nick_326 posted:

Q: I was re-watching the Cena/Punk 2011 MITB match, and noticed that Cole mentioned the Montreal Screwjob early in the match ("to give you an idea of what this title means to the company, Vince screwed over Bret Hart because he was afraid blah blah etc", to paraphrase). Have there been other instances where they've openly acknowledged it in such a way?

Like a zillion times. People bring it up in promos or commentary all the time.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Karmine posted:

Like a zillion times. People bring it up in promos or commentary all the time.

It was brought up as recently as this week in Orton's promo.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

How can Bret be on such good terms with the WWE after the screwjob and everything they did with Owen?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I imagine a solid decade of being incredibly bitter will wear you down.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

omgomgomg posted:

How can Bret be on such good terms with the WWE after the screwjob and everything they did with Owen?

It took him years and years to be on even non-hostile terms with WWE, and 12 years before things were on "good terms." HBK and McMahon had to apologize to Bret and accept that they were giant cocks. As with Owen, Bret understands Vince didn't personally murder his brother.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

At the end of the day, Bret still seems to love the business, despite everything terrible it's done to him and his family. Not to mention that he could use a payday these days, and the WWE is the most likely to give him a worthwhile one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Liquid Communism posted:

At the end of the day, Bret still seems to love the business, despite everything terrible it's done to him and his family. Not to mention that he could use a payday these days, and the WWE is the most likely to give him a worthwhile one.

I think Bret has been set for life since his WCW contract ended.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Nick_326 posted:

Q: Someone mentioned a few pages back that Great Sasuke broke his skull in two matches, but kept going. Apparently one of those matches was the 1996 J-Cup against Ultimo Dragon. Anyone know what the other match was?

'95 MPro mask league against Dos Caras.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 15, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

omgomgomg posted:

Bret started working with WWE again in 2005ish because he realized WWE controlled his legacy through their version of history and he wanted his legacy to be WWE Legend Bret Hart instead of buried (they were working on a Montreal DVD at the time and part of Bret's initial deal was that DVD being scrapped and turned into the first Bret DVD they did) or - even worse - cut out of the history. That turned into the HOF and video games and action figures and Bret being used as an occasional talking head, and eventually Bret wanted to do one last run, which once that petered back down into Bret being one of their go to legends.

At the end of the day, with the exception of Randy Savage and Vince McMahon, pretty much everyone in wrestling gets over their poo poo eventually and is willing to do business.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

I think Bret has been set for life since his WCW contract ended.

Yeah, plus didn't he get a big insurance payout from that British company that was dumb enough to let wrestlers' take out insurance policies?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Bret's first business-related return to WWF/E was working on his first compilation DVD, where he picked his matches and did some interviews. I like to think that he assumed the company would do a release with or without him, so he might as well have some input and get a bigger paycheck.

After that, he was inducted into the Hall of Fame, although he didn't attend the WrestleMania in-person, which was noted by the announcer, saying Hart chose not to appear. The HoF, either my assumption or something I've read, was his way of saying goodbye to the fans.

Except that, 2-ish years later, he decided to come back for an on-screen role, where he 'buried the hatchet' on live TV with Shawn - which both men claim is legitimate. This eventually led to a HoF induction for Stu, and led to him getting one more match - against Vince. After that, he'd come back for more on-screen stuff, mostly to put over Tyson Kidd and D.H. Smith.

It all sounds like stuff that Bret was given a fair amount of control of, and he'd patched things up with Shawn and Vince (but no idea about HHH), so why not? He loves the business, and he's probably being paid pretty well.

I want to say that Vince called him in the hospital when he suffered a stroke (someone else might be able to confirm this). Vince certainly did that for other guys (Bulldog, Jarrett), and repaired those damaged relationships. I do remember reading something about Vince and Bret meeting in a park (a neutral place, I suppose), where Vince tried to talk/apologize, shortly after Bret's stroke.

Edit: Oh, gently caress me, beaten by jeffersonlives, who illustrates a much more detailed picture regarding Bret's first DVD.

Red fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 15, 2013

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Red posted:

I do remember reading something about Vince and Bret meeting in a park (a neutral place, I suppose), where Vince tried to talk/apologize, shortly after Bret's stroke.

That was right after Owen's death actually. I don't think they actually accomplished anything there other than arguing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ChampRamp posted:

That was right after Owen's death actually. I don't think they actually accomplished anything there other than arguing.

Ah, that would make more sense. Didn't Vince have a bunch of security guys watching them?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, plus didn't he get a big insurance payout from that British company that was dumb enough to let wrestlers' take out insurance policies?

I think they sued him after the matches he had in 2010 :(

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Red posted:

Ah, that would make more sense. Didn't Vince have a bunch of security guys watching them?

Vince might've had a recorder on him, but I don't remember hearing of security guys.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Bret wrote in his book that Vince was wearing a wire and cops were listening to the whole thing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ChampRamp posted:

Vince might've had a recorder on him, but I don't remember hearing of security guys.

I think Bret described the meeting in his column for the Calgary Sun, and he may have said he thought Vince had security/police watching.

Although I can't find that column, here's a link to an article that sums up everything we're talking about : http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2010/08/12/15005756.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I thought I remembered something weird like Vince having people ready to shoot Bret if he came after him.