Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

how much did that project cost all together, anyway? i always thought addressable rgb leds like that were super expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i could be thinking of poo poo like the blinkm tho

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

dude, I'm sort of with you on this.

I talked to a dude named philip white one night when he played in town on a feedback loop and a bunched of hacked together poo poo in little tupperware boxes.

http://tedhearne.bandcamp.com/album/r-we-who-r-we

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Werthog 95 posted:

how much did that project cost all together, anyway? i always thought addressable rgb leds like that were super expensive

really not as much as you'd think tbh. those particular rgb led strips are $25 a meter. prices have come down stupid low recently. you can also get one for $60 a meter that has twice as many leds (goddamn) but i was concerned about the current draw if i had 192 leds instead of 96.

2m of rgb leds: $50 (didn't use all of them)
teensy 2.0 microcontroller: $19
li-poly battery: $14
led constant-current drivers: $6 for 10 (used 3)
3w leds: $12 for 10 (used 3)
mosfets: maybe $1 each (used 3)
buck converter: $10
switches: $1.49 (used 2)
misc components, wire, etc: maybe another $5-10, dunno it all came out of my parts bins. so did the mosfets and switches
nuts and bolts: all from parts bins
3d printing: material cost about $6

so in my situation about $125 out of pocket and i have a bunch of spare parts left over too. if you had to pay for the 3d printing as a service instead of doing it on your own printer for only the cost of the raw material, it could be a lot more. but the electronics are cheap.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

whoever owned this before had it flooded in about two feet of water. by the time i got it, a lot of stuff was stripped out of it (monitor, monitor mount, back glass, game board, back door).

been inching along on this project for awhile, got some help from a friend who cut new backdoors and monitor mount. no, it doesn't smell at all, and all the water damage inside the cabinet sanded off easily. nearly complete. i may have installed the monitor upside down, but i won't know for sure until the power brick works again. i need to find the right joystick, too, but that's not keeping it from being playable.

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
i went down to my local hacker's pace and decided on my new project, i'ma simultaneously ease myself into 3d printing, circuit design, mechanical/industrial design and microcontrollers by making a tiny clip-on light for my non-glowlight nook

i don't have a paperwhite bc i bought it just before they came out + i'm a poor + this is a fun excuse to make a thing and avoid trashing a functional piece of electronics

when i started thinking about it, it was just "okay three leds, battery, resistor, switch, done and dusted"

then i thought "it'd be cool if it was usb-rechargeable"

"and if i'm doing onboard charging i might as well use a li-ion because there's tiny ics that just handle everything for you with those and you can use a super flat battery pack from an ipod or w/e"

"but if i'm using a li-ion i need discharge protection, so i'll have it cut off if it gets too low"

"i could do that with a bunch of logic or i could just use the adc on an attiny85"

"heck if i've got a mc in there i should add a pwm routine for brightness too"

"then i can put in another tiny rgb led as a charge / low battery indicator"

so yeah this feels involved enough to be a fun challenge but not ambitious enough to ruin me, i'm feelin p fired up

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

oval office AND PASTE posted:

whoever owned this before had it flooded in about two feet of water. by the time i got it, a lot of stuff was stripped out of it (monitor, monitor mount, back glass, game board, back door).

been inching along on this project for awhile, got some help from a friend who cut new backdoors and monitor mount. no, it doesn't smell at all, and all the water damage inside the cabinet sanded off easily. nearly complete. i may have installed the monitor upside down, but i won't know for sure until the power brick works again. i need to find the right joystick, too, but that's not keeping it from being playable.

q: is there a reason you're restoring this particular pac-man clone, or is it just for laffs / because it was there?

that said i kinda dig the art & the cabinet is looking really clean, i hope it works for u

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sagebrush posted:

really not as much as you'd think tbh. those particular rgb led strips are $25 a meter. prices have come down stupid low recently. you can also get one for $60 a meter that has twice as many leds (goddamn) but i was concerned about the current draw if i had 192 leds instead of 96.

2m of rgb leds: $50 (didn't use all of them)
teensy 2.0 microcontroller: $19
li-poly battery: $14
led constant-current drivers: $6 for 10 (used 3)
3w leds: $12 for 10 (used 3)
mosfets: maybe $1 each (used 3)
buck converter: $10
switches: $1.49 (used 2)
misc components, wire, etc: maybe another $5-10, dunno it all came out of my parts bins. so did the mosfets and switches
nuts and bolts: all from parts bins
3d printing: material cost about $6

so in my situation about $125 out of pocket and i have a bunch of spare parts left over too. if you had to pay for the 3d printing as a service instead of doing it on your own printer for only the cost of the raw material, it could be a lot more. but the electronics are cheap.

do you own the 3d printer or just have access to it? and what one is it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i own two 3d printers and have access to like 5. :coal:

i did the parts for this on the larger of the two i own, though, which is a mendelmax 2 http://www.makerstoolworks.com/products/mendelmax-2-0/ i bought it less than a year ago tho and it's already out of date, the technology moves so fast right now, but it's a good printer regardless and does at least as good a job as the workhorse dimension fdms that we use that cost like $45,000 5 years ago

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
goddamn i think an attiny85 is 1 gpio line short for this job

1: connected to gate of a transistor to keep power going to vcc until the program says it's time to power off
2: brightness up
3: brightness down / off
4: measure supply voltage
5+6: charging/charged/low battery/off rgy indicator led
7: connected to led driver (or directly, people say the attiny can sink a decent amount of current?)

i can't just use the led driver for 1 because i'll be strobing it for brightness control

i guess one of 5+6 can actually be overloaded to serve the purpose of 1 - the indicator will only ever be red (voltage warning) or off (all ok) while the lights are on, and it's probably more trouble than it's worth to allow charging with the light on

or i could just go nuts and try something with more gpio pins i guess. attiny84? idk. the extra pins would give me breathing space if i wanted to add any more dumb poo poo.

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

Sagebrush posted:

i own two 3d printers and have access to like 5. :coal:

i did the parts for this on the larger of the two i own, though, which is a mendelmax 2 http://www.makerstoolworks.com/products/mendelmax-2-0/ i bought it less than a year ago tho and it's already out of date, the technology moves so fast right now, but it's a good printer regardless and does at least as good a job as the workhorse dimension fdms that we use that cost like $45,000 5 years ago

i'm jelly, the hackerspace has a cupcake nobody really knows how to get working reliably and a mendel they never finished setting up

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

oval office AND PASTE posted:

noice

wb cnp

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

this is a whole thing i plan to get back to once i move and unpack all my accumulated electronic stuff...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Usagi-Sauce posted:

ya, the 84 is a good choice, or a 2313 if you need more i/0 line and not as much space

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Usagi-Sauce posted:

1: connected to gate of a transistor to keep power going to vcc until the program says it's time to power off
2: brightness up
3: brightness down / off
4: measure supply voltage
5+6: charging/charged/low battery/off rgy indicator led
7: connected to led driver (or directly, people say the attiny can sink a decent amount of current?)

i can't just use the led driver for 1 because i'll be strobing it for brightness control

i guess one of 5+6 can actually be overloaded to serve the purpose of 1 - the indicator will only ever be red (voltage warning) or off (all ok) while the lights are on, and it's probably more trouble than it's worth to allow charging with the light on

or i could just go nuts and try something with more gpio pins i guess. attiny84? idk. the extra pins would give me breathing space if i wanted to add any more dumb poo poo.

are you sure you need 1 at all? the processor should be able to sleep to such low current its as good as off. you just have to watch your external drivers if any aren't drawing current when off - no pullups.

you can combine 2&3 with 5&6, periodically switch them to inputs, sample, and switch back to outputs, although this will affect the led when you press a button.

most mpus can drive 10 or 20ma through an led, which is normal current for a small one, higher than that use a driver

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Usagi-Sauce posted:

i'm jelly, the hackerspace has a cupcake nobody really knows how to get working reliably and a mendel they never finished setting up

make them work, dummy. cupcakes are always unreliable from what ive heard but the mendel should be decent if u put some care into it

HAL 219000
Nov 27, 2013

number 219
is alive
[shaggaring intesifies]

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Usagi-Sauce posted:

r u another toronto yosposter? cause this sounds like hacklab.to

goddamn loving cupcake cnc oh my god

ruined 3d printers for me forever. even when it worked, it didn't work.

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

Base Emitter posted:

are you sure you need 1 at all? the processor should be able to sleep to such low current its as good as off. you just have to watch your external drivers if any aren't drawing current when off - no pullups.

you can combine 2&3 with 5&6, periodically switch them to inputs, sample, and switch back to outputs, although this will affect the led when you press a button.

most mpus can drive 10 or 20ma through an led, which is normal current for a small one, higher than that use a driver
yiss this is perfect, i don't quite know enough yet to get what you mean about pin 1, but doubling up the input pins to drive the status leds still brings me down to just 5.

reckon i'll drive the status light direct because i only want a pinhead sized one & the main lights through a driver.

now i have to think of something to use the spare pin for ofc

Sagebrush posted:

make them work, dummy. cupcakes are always unreliable from what ive heard but the mendel should be decent if u put some care into it

yeah that's the plan but i'm torn b/c the cupcake is up and running but super finicky, but apparently they never finished setting the mendel up all the way so it might be a bunch more work

ol qwerty bastard posted:

r u another toronto yosposter? cause this sounds like hacklab.to

goddamn loving cupcake cnc oh my god

ruined 3d printers for me forever. even when it worked, it didn't work.
edinburgh (ours is called hacklab too tho) but it seems to be the rule that every hackerspace bought a cupcake back when it was the only kit going & reprap was still on darwin, tried to get it set up and went GOD gently caress 3D PRINTING

exception so far: someone at cchs in melbourne busted they rear end rebuilding the one there with a new extruder & controller and it was rock solid, i think they installed a heated bed too.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
ok, i think i'm gonna buy this: http://www.adafruit.com/products/487

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

way overpriced compared to the radio shack type kits imo but get a second opinion

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i think that's overpriced too

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i concur

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
does radio shack even exist any more?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

WorkingPeer posted:

to sell you cell phone contracts yes

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

WorkingPeer posted:

but you're like british or something, do you have ye olde radioe shackes over there

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

you can actually walk into a radio shack and buy an arduino now but i'm pretty sure it's overpriced there :[

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
i just looked up one of those 50-in-1 things. they do look similar to the adafruit kit, but they aren't much cheaper, and the adafruit one teaches you how to use a breadboard and a 556 chip.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
obligatory

http://www.theonion.com/articles/even-ceo-cant-figure-out-how-radioshack-still-in-b,2190/

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

WorkingPeer posted:

i just looked up one of those 50-in-1 things. they do look similar to the adafruit kit, but they aren't much cheaper, and the adafruit one teaches you how to use a breadboard and a 556 chip.

the one i linked has a breadboard square in the middle of it u dork

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what u REALLY need is this poo poo right here

the moment i saw that in nickelodeon magazine i knew i had to have it

i see what you did
Feb 19, 2007
funny, because it's true

Werthog 95 posted:

the one i linked has a breadboard square in the middle of it u dork

so i tinkered a lot with arm and atmel stuff about a year ago but i never learned enough of the principles to understand what i was doing. since i have a huge amount of resistors/caps/transistors and breadboards and poo poo i dont really wanna buy one of those 50-in-1things

are there any places i can buy or read the books that are 'pos recommended. i just wanna make sure i know what iom doing with analog components before i jump back in to stupid arm dev kits again

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

visit ur local library and find an electronics book i guess?? if u got a college nearby check out an old intro 2 EE textbook

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

WorkingPeer posted:

that kit is expensive for what it is, but you're really paying for the convenience of being provided with bunch of stuff that you can learn from, without having to work out what bits you need and where to get them without being ripped off etc.

so in my opinion it's expensive yes but quite possibly worth it because of the easy start that it gives you

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
you can then graduate to buying huge sacks of cheap stuff from fasttech.com

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
radioshack is still ok i guess for when you need to buy a switch or some speaker wire or a resistor or something and don't want to wait for 2 days because you're a consumer whore who needs instant gratification or you're that bored and need to work on some random project tonight

(its me)

(im the consumer whore)

Dec 26, 2012

There Will Be Penalty posted:

(its me)

(im the consumer whore)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i buy one new expensive thing every week otherwise i feel bad about my(self/life)

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

i did a really simple 3d random walk thing that looks kinda cool
http://jsfiddle.net/x84T7/1/embedded/result/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!