Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This owns so hard. Who is the guy in the Eagles jersey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The internet tells me someone from The Wonder Years

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
What is going on with Fat Mike's hair?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MondayHotDog posted:

What is going on with Fat Mike's hair?

He's pushing 50 but still acts/dresses like he's in his 20s?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I noticed CM Punk in there as well.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TLG James posted:

I noticed CM Punk in there as well.

CM Punk singing in his shower absolutely killed me and is also completely unsurprising.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some ska bands, I don't know much about ska but I wanted to get my brother a record or two for christmas. I think he likes third wave the most but likes other styles as well. Some of the bands he listens to are:

-Buck-o-nine
-The Toasters
-The Slackers
-Pie Tasters
-Goldfinger

If you could recomend me some similar bands that would be great! Thanks.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Literally The Worst posted:

CM Punk singing in his shower absolutely killed me and is also completely unsurprising.

I just watched again and noticed Bald Vinnie, leader of the Yankee Stadium bleacher creatures.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Isorenieratane posted:

I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some ska bands, I don't know much about ska but I wanted to get my brother a record or two for christmas. I think he likes third wave the most but likes other styles as well. Some of the bands he listens to are:

-Buck-o-nine
-The Toasters
-The Slackers
-Pie Tasters
-Goldfinger

If you could recomend me some similar bands that would be great! Thanks.

The Selecter.... Two-tone ska with a lady singer and rad as hell. Particularly Too Much Pressure.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 13, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Here is A Thing on former Hippos frontman and current producer wonderkid Ariel Rechtshaid http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10109129/ariel-rechtshaid-producer-vampire-weekend-haim-sky-ferreira-snoop-lion-justin-bieber

T Warning: The Hippos are not mentioned at all

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 13, 2013

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

guppy posted:

This is awesome. My favorite moments (spoilered so people won't see them before watching) are guy in shower and Aaron's dog licking his face.

I like anyone who does rap hands to a ska song.

e: Also I learned that Zebrahead is apparently still together and still performing? Jesus.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Man Aaron's getting fat and beardy. He's turning into a goon!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think my other favorite from that video is one of the guys from Masked Intruder and the guy who plays their parole officer just mean-mugging it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The most disappointing thing about the Hippos changing styles was not even going away from ska but that they no longer went crazy on the synthesizer either. Their final album had no personality to it. It was like bad lite-rock.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

DOOP posted:

Here is A Thing on former Hippos frontman and current producer wonderkid Ariel Rechtshaid http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10109129/ariel-rechtshaid-producer-vampire-weekend-haim-sky-ferreira-snoop-lion-justin-bieber

T Warning: The Hippos are not mentioned at all

That's a decent read. Mostly though, I'm still ecstatic over finding a copy of the The Hippos self titled album earlier this week. That's been my holy grail of used CD searches for years. As Quest For Glory II says, it's not a great album, but there are a couple of good tracks on it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What are everybody top albums of 2013?

For me, there's Streetlight, obviously. I algo got the new LTJ and FIF and enjoyed them both. The Ska-P release earlier this year was also pretty good. Even though I still have no clue what they're singing about. The Beebs/Moneymakers record is fun, if a bit short.

Any obvious albums I'm missing?

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 13, 2013

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Selecter.... Two-tone ska with a lady singer and rad as hell. Particularly Too Much Pressure.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It appears to be virtually impossible to get the Selecter's Too Much Pressure as a download or even as a CD. I have no use for vinyl. What's the next best place to start?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DOOP posted:

What are everybody top albums of 2013?
1) JB Conspiracy - The Storm
2) Cat Empire - Steal the Light
3) Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra - Walkin'
4) FIF - Engine of a Million Plots

In 2014 we get new albums from Mad Caddies and Deal's Gone Bad :getin:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

In 2014 we get new albums from Mad Caddies

:aaaaa: holy loving poo poo are you kidding me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They've posted studio pics on their facebook in the last few months. They wanted it out this year but it slid to 2014. They posted this week:

Mad Caddies posted:

We made it back from Brazil late last night, and we're heading directly back into the studio today. We'll have our new album wrapped up by the end of the year, and we're planning to release it in early April on Fat Wreck. Stay tuned for an official release date.

I wonder what it will sound like, since they've drifted more towards reggae. I really liked Keep it Going and Elwood felt very blah to me. I want some psychotic circus punk!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 14, 2013

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

In 2014 we get new albums from Deal's Gone Bad :getin:

:aaaaa: holy poo poo are you loving kidding me

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

guppy posted:

It appears to be virtually impossible to get the Selecter's Too Much Pressure as a download or even as a CD. I have no use for vinyl. What's the next best place to start?

It's available on iTunes if you dare, mang.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

It's available on iTunes if you dare, mang.

In the US? Not that I can find.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I mention IV4K a lot in this thread, but does anyone know if there's a way to buy their b-sides compilation If You Can't Make It Big... Just Give Up! in the US? As far as I can tell it was only ever released on UK iTunes. The "label" that released it doesn't even seem to have a website.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't think I've ever posted in this thread but uh I'm seeing The English Beat in a tiny-rear end club tomorrow and I'm very stoked about it.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
http://onlineathens.com/blotter/2013-12-11/drug-task-force-raids-athens-home

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

But it was such a nice house in a nice neighborhood! Who could've expected anything like that happening?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

I lived in Athens for the past five years but I never looked up where 493 Ruth was until about 6 months ago. Holy poo poo is that not where you want to live.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So is that just coincidentally the house Jeff lived in for a while, or is it some legendary punk mecca or something like ABC No Rio in NYC?

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
The first thing, but it's where Get Warmer was written and a song on the album.

http://www.quoteunquoterecords.com/qur013/002.mp3

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

guppy posted:

In the US? Not that I can find.

I live in Canada, sorry man, assumed it would be available. Try this http://interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=17203&

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks. I don't love the idea of ordering physical media but at least I can get it there.

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't think I've ever posted in this thread but uh I'm seeing The English Beat in a tiny-rear end club tomorrow and I'm very stoked about it.

How was it? I got to see them a couple of times in such a setting and it was a blast.

In 2014 we get new albums from Mad Caddies and Deal's Gone Bad :getin:

:hellyeah:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If a guy likes more "relaxed" ska, what would you guys recommend? Like, as an exmaple I love the songs "Royal Oil" by the Bosstones and "Brooklyn, Dancing Won't Solve Anything".

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

If a guy likes more "relaxed" ska, what would you guys recommend? Like, as an exmaple I love the songs "Royal Oil" by the Bosstones and "Brooklyn, Dancing Won't Solve Anything".

Satori, Monkey, Deals Gone Bad, Westbound Train, Go Jimmy Go for more modern bands. For older bands check out The Specials, Madness and the English Beat.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
A guy in this thread linked a spotify playlist he made once which fits what you want for the most part.

Relax, it's Ska playlist

It's mostly second wave I think but it has a bunch of good artists/songs.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Who enjoys ska covers of Christmas-themed blink-182 songs? I do!

http://iv4k.bandcamp.com/album/i-wont-be-home-for-christmas

Edit: They don't mention it anywhere, but if you buy it (pay what you want), the b-side is another cover, Eddie Money's "Take Me Home Tonight".

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 25, 2013

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

MondayHotDog posted:

Who enjoys ska covers of Christmas-themed blink-182 songs? I do!

This hits my niche so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Josh Wow posted:

Satori, Monkey, Deals Gone Bad, Westbound Train, Go Jimmy Go for more modern bands. For older bands check out The Specials, Madness and the English Beat.

I'm definitely familiar with the latter, but the newer ones, less so. Thanks muchly.