Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think it is fine to keep anything we win this time. We're a teenager, not a full grown Mighty Man. Clearly something is up, but we aren't officially recognised as Blooded yet. We are untried.

Now when the competition rolls around again in 7 years things will be different. We will likely be pretty drat mighty by then, and widely recognised as a Mighty Man. At that point it probably would be weird for us to participate in most of the normal contests at all, just like it is for the other adult MMs.

Dio: Is it at all noteworthy that Lullya is participating in this race? He is a blooded six-fingered dude, and a few years older than us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Angela Christine posted:

I think it is fine to keep anything we win this time. We're a teenager, not a full grown Mighty Man. Clearly something is up, but we aren't officially recognised as Blooded yet. We are untried.

Now when the competition rolls around again in 7 years things will be different. We will likely be pretty drat mighty by then, and widely recognised as a Mighty Man. At that point it probably would be weird for us to participate in most of the normal contests at all, just like it is for the other adult MMs.

Dio: Is it at all noteworthy that Lullya is participating in this race? He is a blooded six-fingered dude, and a few years older than us.

Several youths in the crowd are his, and incidentally now your, distant cousins. There may be a good fifteen or twenty possible future Mighty Men running today. No adult Mighty Men, but some possible Blooded youth. Enough common people showed up that they either are in it for fun, or still think they have a chance.

IRC question posted:

<DCBomB> Diog: Does Ugkidel see reconciliation with Lullaya as a possibility?
<Ralith> Enkidug
<Ralith> DCBomB: Diog is going to say "that's up to the voters!"
<Ralith> people occasionally vote to that effect so a little bit
* MrApollo has quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
* mood has quit (Quit: Leaving.)
* randompaui is now known as AFKPauI
<Diog> howdy ho
<Diog> what ralith said
<Diog> you can try.
<Diog> up to you
<Diog> you broke his nose, as a younger outsider, then did the first successful manhood trial in several years and did so in spectacular manner
<Diog> your taller than him, 5 fingered and not of the line of Zepa.
<Diog> He is probably only getting more upset with you as time goes on.

Woke up at 4 AM briefly, going back to sleep. If anyone wants to do a count, I will update when I get up in the morning.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
No pretty spreadsheet today:

a /
b
c ///////////////////
d ////
g //////
i /

One vote for: -K- Stay almost uncomfortably right behind him and employ psychological warfare. "Keep running, food... You smell almost as good as that Minotaur... Know what I ate on my trial?... I'm so hungry right now... etc etc "

Maxhush, I interpreted your vote as a C, but C ran away with it anyway.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Tsyni posted:

No pretty spreadsheet today:

a /
b
c ///////////////////
d ////
g //////
i /

One vote for: -K- Stay almost uncomfortably right behind him and employ psychological warfare. "Keep running, food... You smell almost as good as that Minotaur... Know what I ate on my trial?... I'm so hungry right now... etc etc "

Maxhush, I interpreted your vote as a C, but C ran away with it anyway.

I vote for that K. I like that.

Shame on you G voters. Shame on you all.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting is closed.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You run faster, past the twenty or so common men in front of you, past the two tall red headed farmers, past Lullaya's two cousins. Lullaya turns his head and looks over his shoulder, he sees you coming and speeds up. You speed up to match him, your heart pounding in your chest. There are no tracks or lanes, all of the racers are simply racing around the city walls You keep a distance far enough away from Lullaya that he could not easily swipe at you, about 20 paces to his left. A number of youths watch from atop the city walls. They cheer as the racers pass. You hear a youth you do not know yell "You can beat Eyescream Enkidu!"

Lullaya seems to have heard it and yells to you that "This one is mine people eater!"

He speeds up. You try to keep pace, your heart beating hard with each breath. The two of you leave all of the other racers far behind and have run halfway around the city walls, once.

In the last year you have grown a foot and spent most of that time walking the wilds with Aaron. You have not tried to run this hard before.

You feel a surge and run more swiftly, leaving Lullaya forty paces behind you. He speeds up to try to retake you, but the lead between the two of you is growing, albeit slowly. A youth on the city wall yells "Enkidu!" The two of you run, Lullaya trying to close the gap with bursts of speed, then falling behind, unable to sustain them. Your heart is beating in your chest as the two of you make it back to the city gates. All of the other racers are far behind you and Lullaya at this point. You finish the first lap, about sixty paces ahead of him.

You have not had anything to eat in almost a half an hour and... you are starting to get rather hungry. A sandwich would be pretty great around now, maybe three or four and some seaweed cakes... no, some sausages and maybe some ribs... some fish...

You...
A. I got a race to win dammit! Keep running!
B. Run even faster!
C. FASTER! I need a bigger lead, we still got two laps to go!
D. I got a race to win!
E. Struggle to sustain this place.
F. Stop, go home and eat.
G. Something else. Fill in.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 14, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

E Let's not push ourselves so hard we have to eat our prizes at the finish line.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:stare:

Whatever you do, don't stop for a snack, lest we snack on a spectator.

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010
E Keep running fast enough to maintain this lead, but let's not go mental and wear ourselves out too much just yet. Obviously this hunger is a sign that we're pushing it a bit more than we probably should, but I reckon we'll be ok as long as we don't go over the top and pass out midrace - another concussion wouldn't be very clever really...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

D - I gots a race to win! Then we can eat the cows.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

G. Slow down to the pace we were maintaining before our burst of speed. That was as fast as Lullaya could keep up and we've got enough of a lead, no need to burn ourselves up going at Mighty speeds now.

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010

LLSix posted:

G. Slow down to the pace we were maintaining before our burst of speed. That was as fast as Lullaya could keep up and we've got enough of a lead, no need to burn ourselves up going at Mighty speeds now.

Ok, changing my vote to this, keeping enough in the tank for another burst of speed should we need it

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
huh, weird hunger

looks familiar

do we know anyone else with this sort of hunger?

Voting G. We match lullaya's speed, if he slows, we slow.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 14, 2013

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
A We've got a race to win! We are not stopping, not yet! Keep the pace.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LLSix posted:

This. We can even let the lead decrease a little, since it looks like we can go faster than Lullaya can if necessary. Don't let him get too close, but don't do anything stupid.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

LLSix posted:

This +1

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

LLSix posted:

Sounds good to me.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Edit: Typo, fixed.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 15, 2013

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
G. Bite Lullaya when he tries to catch up.

GaiaFag
Jun 20, 2007
KING OF THE FURRIES (AUTOPILOT ON BITCH)
A. I wanna win!

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
match lullaya's speed. Keep our lead, without expending more energy than is necessary

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
This sounds like the kinds of magic that has almost gotten us killed several times in the past. We need to slow down and not use it until we're better trained. We still have an archery contest to win, no sense in passing out before then.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
I think that speed that we were maintaining before, G voters, was a losing speed. We're in some sort of Mighty zone right now, but if we drop out of it we might not be able to get back into it. Not sure why to vote E over A or D though, they seem to imply keeping up the pace, not speeding up, but without the struggling aspect, but maybe I'm just missing something there?

Anyway, voting A for now.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
G. Use our Snarls-telepathy to request a big hunk of meat.

We will meet him further down the race and eat while we run. Plus, if Lullaya catches up while we eat, we can whack him with the bone.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 14, 2013

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
G. Realize that if we win we'll have three whole cows to eat. Run faster.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Even if he brings us a squirrel or something, I won't be picky. Meanwhile, hold the gait.

Outside knowledge of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems would go against eating while running, but we're dealing with some kind of magic instead.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
G. Use our teeth to hamstring Lullaya. Eat his legs off and then keep running to win the prize!

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
G. I think to snarls to find me something to eat and to meet me up ahead somewhere. Something I can eat while running and not stopping.

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe

If we're gonna use Might Man powers, better eat a bunch.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

LLSix posted:

Voting this.

This was a three lap race, we shouldn't have made our move this early.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

JT Jag posted:

Voting this.

This was a three lap race, we shouldn't have made our move this early.

Check dios post. The pace you're referring to is one Lully is comfortable at but we aren't

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Check dios post. The pace you're referring to is one Lully is comfortable at but we aren't
I still think we need to lower the pace either way. We can't keep this one up for two laps.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

jazzyhattrick posted:

match lullaya's speed. Keep our lead, without expending more energy than is necessary
e:

jazzyhattrick posted:

If we get snarls to come down here lullaya might kick him or something. just shout that we're hungry up to the people watching on the walls, somebody will just throw us some food. Also make the face that makes the food fall. And tell them to throw it where we're going to be, not where we are.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 14, 2013

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If we get snarls to come down here lullaya might kick him or something. just shout that we're hungry up to the people watching on the walls, somebody will just throw us some food. Also make the face that makes the food fall. And tell them to throw it where we're going to be, not where we are.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
My fear is that we are somehow powering this sprint by means of magic, which is a bad thing for obvious reasons.

We will meet him further down the race and eat while we run. Plus, if Lullaya catches up while we eat, we can whack him with the bone.

This has my vote. Though there are a dozen things that can and likely will go wrong, it'd be amazing if it somehow actually worked.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

This

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

E implies we are weakening mentally. F THAT.

Eyes on the prize.

Feel the burn.

Push the envelope.

In it to win it.

No pain no gain.

G. Lets slow down to make Lullaya think he has a chance. Then smoke him after the start of the third lap.

Guy's got no chance.

He's gonna eat our dust.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Zybourne Clock posted:

This has my vote. Though there are a dozen things that can and likely will go wrong, it'd be amazing if it somehow actually worked.

Or dozens of things could go right!

Lullaya is starting to catch up, determined to not let you win this race. He looks more angry than exhausted. You could run faster if you weren't so hungry. Using your telepathy, you tell Snarls "Get me a big piece of meat now. I'm hungry! NOW!" Snarls responds "Going to hunt the best meats! The best hunter!"

As you start on your third lap, Lullaya has reduced your lead to just 20 meters. You hear Snarls running to you from the opposite direction with a huge calf leg in his slobbery mouth. "I found the best meat friend-brother-master-one-who-scratches-the-belly-to-make-the-leg-kick!" With your superior hearing, you can tell that a large group of angry merchants--who Snarls apparently just robbed--are chasing after Snarls.

"Snarls, I don't want that meat. Give it to Lullaya." You run further away from the wall, in order to pass the oncoming crowd.

"Finish line is this way, cannibal." Lullaya yells as he takes the lead, but he doesn't notice the merchants around the next bend. He crashes straight into them and the merchants tumble onto Lullaya. You think you hear some bones break.

With Lullaya out of the race, you jog to an easy win. "Good job, Snarls."

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 14, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

HBar posted:

Even if he brings us a squirrel or something, I won't be picky. Meanwhile, hold the gait.

Outside knowledge of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems would go against eating while running, but we're dealing with some kind of magic instead.

As background two of our divine buddies had a knock down drag out argument that came to blows part of which was disagreement about whether it was magic or advanced physics. One was describing things in terms of quarks and tachyons, the other saying that was the equivalent of magic. In the course of that 'conversation' we agreed not to make intentional attempts to directly mess with 'natural causation'. In our last foray into exploring all that we switched bodies with our dog and self immolated trying to fix it almost killing our dog and ourself in the process. Apparently Mighty Man Feats manipulating our own body or psyche aren't exactly the same, but still require fuel, though of a different nature than direct, intentional efforts to manipulate things in the material realm outside of our body or mind. Something along those lines at least, though we still don't really know how any of it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Or dozens of things could go right!

For a minute here I thought this was going to end in an advertisement for a local butcher.

"Dalit's fine cuts - a Mighty Meal for a Mighty Man!"

Edit: Hey, wait, a deadly ham sandwich is advocating eating while running? I smell treachery.