Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Modern f-150s have that same problem. A vacuum leak results in the hubs locking/unlocking at speed.

That however, looks like it was driven another 50k after eating the u-joint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vacuum auto hubs? What the christ?

I've seen vacuum locking diffs but hubs, seriously? Is there like, a seal wear spec where the vacuum can escape but not at a greater rate than the pump can supply? What happens if you...actually go offroad or something?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Vacuum auto hubs? What the christ?

I've seen vacuum locking diffs but hubs, seriously? Is there like, a seal wear spec where the vacuum can escape but not at a greater rate than the pump can supply? What happens if you...actually go offroad or something?

Failure mode for the ford is locked, which is what happened to my f-150 resulting in seriously terrible fuel economy. In my dodge, the failure mode was unlocked, which is bad because the entire assembly on the dodge is mounted on the back of the front axle, and is prone to getting removed by deep mud.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

Failure mode for the ford is locked, which is what happened to my f-150 resulting in seriously terrible fuel economy. In my dodge, the failure mode was unlocked, which is bad because the entire assembly on the dodge is mounted on the back of the front axle, and is prone to getting removed by deep mud.

I don't see how that's bad because the failure mode was unlocked? The two seem to be unrelated issues.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm assuming that when you're in deep mud you want your front diff to stay connected to your wheels?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If the mud has already removed your front axles from the car I don't think it matters whether the failure mode is locked or unlocked, or maybe I'm misunderstanding what is failing here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's referring to the vacuum actuator setup being mounted in harm's way on the front axle. Deep mud or other obstacles presumably tear it off and strand you when you're suddenly balls-deep in two wheel drive.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Powershift posted:

That's one failure mode for Ford. The hubs on my '01 F250 are open and won't auto lock due to either a vacuum leak somewhere in the engine bay that I can't be assed to track down or a weak vacuum pump. There is still enough vacuum to work the A/C blend and vent controls, and the brake boost is hydraulic so I'm cool.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

That's one failure mode for Ford. The hubs on my '01 F250 are open and won't auto lock due to either a vacuum leak somewhere in the engine bay that I can't be assed to track down or a weak vacuum pump. There is still enough vacuum to work the A/C blend and vent controls, and the brake boost is hydraulic so I'm cool.

It's the vacuum solenoids. It's ALWAYS the drat vacuum solenoids. They get filled up with water and rust in whatever position they were last in.

After those are replaced you can figure out what ELSE is wrong with the system. It's a truly horrible setup, but....hey, it worked for all 36,000 miles of the warranty so good enough, amirite?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Motronic posted:

It's the vacuum solenoids. It's ALWAYS the drat vacuum solenoids. They get filled up with water and rust in whatever position they were last in.

After those are replaced you can figure out what ELSE is wrong with the system. It's a truly horrible setup, but....hey, it worked for all 36,000 miles of the warranty so good enough, amirite?

So glad Jeep strayed away from locking hubs and vacuum axle disconnects with the TJ and haven't gone back. A/C and heat blow dicks to make up for it though.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Powershift posted:

At least with the dodge isnt too hard to keep the front engaged without a vacuum, I simply pushed the fork into the engaged mode and filled the damned vacuum actuator with hotglue. Didnt hurt the always abysmal mpg one bit if the hubs were unlocked.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
at least on 94 and later balljoint dana 60 front dodges (all 2500s and up basically)* you can put a cable shifter on instead of the stupid vacuum setup. And if you want your fuel economy back, grab the knuckles-out including stub shafts off a balljoint f350 frontend, it bolts right onto the dodge housing.

F250 ttb outers work too but the kingpin axis of inclination is different so you will end up with hella tite camberzzzzz thus this is only recommended for offroad-only vehicles.

* 93 and down are kingpin with no vac disconnect and I don't know anything about parts swappability on 1500s and down with vac disconnect 44 front axles, sorry.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vclzm1AKi4Y

Steering column out of my '70 GMC. Not the original one, this one was put in back in '99 when it was swapped from a three-on-the-tree to TH400 automatic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vclzm1AKi4Y

Steering column out of my '70 GMC. Not the original one, this one was put in back in '99 when it was swapped from a three-on-the-tree to TH400 automatic.

Quality.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So I just put a big-rear end post on Ford's facebook wall, but I won't subject you all to that. I just changed the filler neck on my 2000 Mustang because the clowns that designed the part wrapped part of it in plastic corrugated tubing so it could collect dirt and rust the filler neck. Tadaa.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MV Agusta F4. Guy takes it to dealer because its ticking, they open the engine, found nothing wrong, sent it back to him. 500mi later it did that.

(I don't think they used enough RTV on the case halves :v:)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Haha, I had the same feeling about my old Triumph 675. I said something on the forums about being worried about it blowing up and everyone told me I was crazy. Month or two later at a trackday it seized at ~100mph. I come out of a corner onto a straight trying to catch a Yammy 1 liter with an instructor watching us from behind... some brake and drop a gear to prepare to drive out of an upcoming corner and it just locks. Instructor came to talk to me after, good times were had.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 15, 2013

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

MV Agusta F4. Guy takes it to dealer because its ticking, they open the engine, found nothing wrong, sent it back to him. 500mi later it did that.

Aaaargh!

Overheating is an issue with the F4, and a simple ECU flash to start the fans earlier could probably have prevented that disaster. Not like that information will be of much help now :/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Man that's a lot of excess RTV. Castiglioni would get nightmares over how big a waste of money it is :v:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

BlackMK4 posted:

Haha, I had the same feeling about my old Triumph 675. I said something on the forums about being worried about it blowing up and everyone told me I was crazy. Month or two later at a trackday it seized at ~100mph. I come out of a corner onto a straight trying to catch a Yammy 1 liter with an instructor watching us from behind... some brake and drop a gear to prepare to drive out of an upcoming corner and it just locks. Instructor came to talk to me after, good times were had.

That must have been terrifying, at least it didn't happen on a street.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Do horrible electrical failures count?

Prepped my Wrangler to be painted at my place. Degreased the exterior, under the hood, sanded everything, etc. Jumped in it to head to where I'm painting it and it just dies at the end of my road.

Check fuel, check spark, (it's there but weak and yellow). Stumped, I checked the distributor, battery voltage, started wondering if I flooded the ECU with water. I decided to grab the coil and bench test it. Yep. I think it's done!

EDIT: Forgot to add a pic of the finished project. It's been 20 years since I've held a spray gun. It's got a couple of minor issues, but it's a fantastic reminder of why I hate body work and painting cars.

Team140 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 16, 2013

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Sir Cornelius posted:

Aaaargh!

Overheating is an issue with the F4, and a simple ECU flash to start the fans earlier could probably have prevented that disaster. Not like that information will be of much help now :/

Funny you mention that. My best friend owns one and it likes to run warm on 100+ days..... about the same time my old pile would start running hot.

I agree, thats an everloving fuckload of RTV, WHY!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lazy/inexperienced technician. Not to mention if you have the motor out on a bench and you put it together, it isn't hard to just wipe down the excess before you stick it back in the bike.

Also they potentially weren't able to separate the cases properly and resorted to prying at the flanges.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

A tech at my old dealer did that to a timing cover on a K20 and ended up with a pickup screen full of RTV and a burned up motor.
I don't think people understand how little sealant is needed and that, even if you use a tiny bead, most is pushed out the sides and ends up doing gently caress all.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Sorry about the macro on the aftermath pic. Paul Walker memorial meet in Aberdeen, Scotland. 15 Minutes on the rev limiter apparently, clever chap.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Shouldn't a memorial where a guy died in a car crash not have a lot of cars in it? That's like going to a memorial of somebody who was killed by a circus tent collapse dressed as a clown.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Shouldn't a memorial where a guy died in a car crash not have a lot of cars in it? That's like going to a memorial of somebody who was killed by a circus tent collapse dressed as a clown.

Or as Bill Hicks put it, like meeting Jackie Onassis while wearing a rifle pendant.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the other hand if the dude loved cars as much as everyone says he did, he'd probably think it's cool.

I don't understand why anyone would sit on the limiter for 15 minutes though. Was it just to make parts of his car glow? Does he know lightbulbs and LEDs are much safer technologies for accomplishing that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

How the hell did he get to fifteen minutes banging off the limiter without someone coming over and shoving his teeth down his neck?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrYenko posted:

How the hell did he get to fifteen minutes banging off the limiter without someone coming over and shoving his teeth down his neck?
He's in a retail park with a lovely Focus with quad headlights. Everyone around him would be part of what can cautiously be called his peer group.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

InitialDave posted:

He's in a retail park with a lovely Focus with quad headlights. Everyone around him would be part of what can cautiously be called his peer group.

Anyone who's into cars should know that a car banging off the limiter isn't awesome, it's the sound of a machine being beaten by its owner, and that you need to step in and punch him in the mouth before he breaks it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrYenko posted:

Anyone who's into cars should know that a car banging off the limiter isn't awesome, it's the sound of a machine being beaten by its owner, and that you need to step in and punch him in the mouth before he breaks it.
These people are people who are not our kind of people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Guy does know what the rev limiter is for, right?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Obviously the rev limiter didn't do its job!

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

xzzy posted:

On the other hand if the dude loved cars as much as everyone says he did, he'd probably think it's cool.

I don't understand why anyone would sit on the limiter for 15 minutes though. Was it just to make parts of his car glow? Does he know lightbulbs and LEDs are much safer technologies for accomplishing that?

Apparently he had a pretty badass car collection

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Everything about that sequence of pictures is as it should be.

A person who does not deserve nice things, takes a thing, ruins it, then later destroys it with his own stupidity. It's a self serving problem and the world is slightly better than it was before that fire started.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't share his apparent fetish for Mustangs but that's a really well curated collection.. I don't think there's any style of driving not represented. Must be nice where the toughest decision for a track day is what kind of handling you're in the mood for.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

stump posted:

Sorry about the macro on the aftermath pic. Paul Walker memorial meet in Aberdeen, Scotland. 15 Minutes on the rev limiter apparently, clever chap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjTGALbhUT8

Someone has video.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The exhaust note at the beginning sounds like the opening bars of Burning Bridges.

Friends all tried to warn me
But I held my revs up high
One had a fire extinguisher
But I let the chance pass by
They all tried to tell me
But I guess I didn't care
So they turned their backs
And left me standing there

All the burning hatches
And an angry copper's glare
My chavvy Walker tribute
Turned into a nightmare
The fuel cut made my exhaust
Heat up cherry red
This car belonged to my mum
Now I'll be loving dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's pretty amazing that it didn't melt a piston from the lean condition before the exhaust manifold caught everything on fire. Ford should use that as a testament to how durable the zetec engine is.