Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Get me a hard copy of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
All those gifs, lost forever...
Like tears in the rain...

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Orpheus

The Seventh Seal

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

That's the same couple as this gif I think, who are constantly doing horrid poo poo to each other:

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49EjERmlJ2I

snortpocket has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Dec 14, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Since I'm studying the visual perception unit for one of my finals, I figured I'd take a break and share a neat illusion with you guys.

First: look at this gif. How are the dots moving?

Easy, in straight lines, right?

Now stare at this frog :frog: while paying attention to the gif in your peripheral vision. Now how are the dots moving?

Forti
May 5, 2009

The Rock is a cool film

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

snortpocket posted:

That's the same couple as this gif I think, who are constantly doing horrid poo poo to each other:
Same couple I think

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Another drive through prank.
Headless driver.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

OK Some Butt Stuff
Jun 9, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

I'm hearing the "boing" noise from when you hit a yellow spring in Sonic.

and

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

HD Version

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

dijon du jour posted:

Since I'm studying the visual perception unit for one of my finals, I figured I'd take a break and share a neat illusion with you guys.

First: look at this gif. How are the dots moving?

Easy, in straight lines, right?

Now stare at this frog :frog: while paying attention to the gif in your peripheral vision. Now how are the dots moving?

gently caress

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Holy poo poo thank you, I couldn't remember what that looked like.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Now this is just beautiful

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

I don't know, man, the dots move up and down even before I stare at the frog. Can I ask for a bit more scientific explanation on how this illusion is...'perceived'? I've studied neuroscience but mostly focused on developmental.

As exchange, here's another neat trick!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

toanoradian posted:

I don't know, man, the dots move up and down even before I stare at the frog. Can I ask for a bit more scientific explanation on how this illusion is...'perceived'? I've studied neuroscience but mostly focused on developmental.

As exchange, here's another neat trick!

Both dots are just moving in a straight line back and forth, any up or down movement you see is an illusion.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I get what the illusion is, but how does that arise, man? What exactly about the structure of the eye (or the visual processing) makes it possible for us to mistook a straight movement for an up and down movement? I'm an idiot and need some more thorough explanations.

(click for source)

I...I have no idea what's going on the last gif there. A 'lawn pimple'?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

toanoradian posted:

I think maybe the septic tank ruptured?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Either sewer or water busted. If the former, he's gonna be reeeaaal sad if he breaks through the turf.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

toanoradian posted:

I want to say that was from an earthquake busting a water main. Possibly in Japan.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Eraserhead

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

syscall girl posted:

I want to say that was from an earthquake busting a water main. Possibly in Japan.
They don't have that kind of lawn in Japan. Or those kinds of rednecks. But earthquakes and water-main breaks are common enough elsewhere.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

syscall girl posted:

Why would you assume japan?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

toanoradian posted:

Last time I saw that the description said it was a sprinkler line.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Atticus_1354 posted:

Why would you assume japan?

I saw a very similar video with some American expatriate. He was expressing astonishment about the turf basically floating over some water that had come up after an earthquake in Japan. There was also a sidewalk in the shot.

Must have conflated the videos.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

toanoradian posted:

I get what the illusion is, but how does that arise, man? What exactly about the structure of the eye (or the visual processing) makes it possible for us to mistook a straight movement for an up and down movement? I'm an idiot and need some more thorough explanations.

There are a few hypotheses about why this happens. The most popular one seems to be that much less information about objects in your periphery is conveyed to your brain than objects in your fovial vision (or, the center of your vision). As such, your brain has to make more "estimates" about objects in your peripheral vision using context information. When your brain is trying to figure out the movement of the dots it is greatly influenced by the striking black lines in the background and perceives the movement as following said lines.

A similar effect can be gotten from this gif, perceiving circular movement as linear movement. The effect isn't quite as striking as the first one I posted, I think, though.

Anyway, here's some more gifs that I made instead of studying for one of my many finals next week! Yay!

(Click either for video)

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

:psyboom: I don't understand how this trick works at all. If the 'upstairs' is actually the same height as 'downstairs', how can you create a slope at all?

Here's a female.
(click for Vine source)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

toanoradian posted:

:psyboom: I don't understand how this trick works at all. If the 'upstairs' is actually the same height as 'downstairs', how can you create a slope at all?

They're the same height, the whole thing is slanted. That's why the ball automatically rolls to the left. There's a bump to keep it from rolling down the stairs immediately, and the spoon moves it up the slope, then pushes it over the bump so it can roll back down.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Captain Bravo posted:

They're the same height, the whole thing is slanted. That's why the ball automatically rolls to the left. There's a bump to keep it from rolling down the stairs immediately, and the spoon moves it up the slope, then pushes it over the bump so it can roll back down.

If the entire thing is slanted, then how do all the little beads strewn throughout the structure stay still?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Coefficient of friction.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

toanoradian posted:

It's been a long time since my last neuroscience class but there are parts of the brain that fire in response to various orientations of lines, like top-right to bottom-left 45 degrees, 60 degrees, etc. for all angles. It's part of how the brain parses rough info about what the eyes perceive, before it gets to the conscious parts of the brain. Plus what dijon du jour said, basically the brain is doing a lot of filling in the blanks. Heuristics.

There was some experiment where they raised animals in the bottom of a round room with vertical stripes on the wall, they had really weird balance and such and couldn't really walk.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Good old petrol thieves :allears:

Let me just drive off without paying and leave my heavily pregnant girlfriend to take the rap. Or try to :downs:

ghosts on the moon
Apr 24, 2010

Tell me more about this, please.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

ghosts on the moon posted:

Tell me more about this, please.

http://www.pocketartillery.com/

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Good old petrol thieves :allears:

Let me just drive off without paying and leave my heavily pregnant girlfriend to take the rap. Or try to :downs:

Maybe that's why I was confused. I live in California and here, you pay before you pump. I don't why they don't do that other states, seems like it would be easy to steal gas.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dear Prudence posted:

Maybe that's why I was confused. I live in California and here, you pay before you pump. I don't why they don't do that other states, seems like it would be easy to steal gas.

Easy insofar as sitting there with your face and your license plate recorded on camera stealing $60 worth of gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Did that guy preemptively grab a fire extinguisher because he sensed the impending stupidity?

• Locked thread