Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Anyone found a way to force borderless windowed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I shelled out 59$ for the early access and the game sure looks pretty, great music too. I'm still very early on but right now what I find most difficult is the lack of any tutorial, the interface is not very intuitive.

Additionally, is there any way to resize the text scroller thing? I find it to be a bit too small.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Was there a double pledge for Torment and Wasteland 2 during the Kickstarter?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Was there a double pledge for Torment and Wasteland 2 during the Kickstarter?
You could get Wasteland 2 as an addon during the Torment kickstarter.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Raygereio posted:

You could get Wasteland 2 as an addon during the Torment kickstarter.

Yeah, I looked through my emails and saw that I pledged enough to get Wasteland 2 but Ranger Center isn't recognizing the pledge. Oh well, sent a support ticket.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, I looked through my emails and saw that I pledged enough to get Wasteland 2 but Ranger Center isn't recognizing the pledge. Oh well, sent a support ticket.
Is Wasteland 2 listed under donations in your Torment account?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Additionally, is there any way to resize the text scroller thing? I find it to be a bit too small.

There's a text size setting in gameplay options.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

ravenkult posted:

I'm at Highpool and somehow the party member I left behind managed to bypass the airlock and is now stuck behind it. So is my team.

This also happens in the AG Compound. After a bit of email correspondence with them, it seems this is a known bug. Workaround? Reroll or load a old save until the next build in Jan-14.
Welp.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Raygereio posted:

Is Wasteland 2 listed under donations in your Torment account?

No, I just have:

quote:

Torment: Tides of Numenera Pledge

but I have the email where I changed my pledge amount upwards still.

quote:

Your pledge has been successfully changed for:
Torment: Tides of Numenera
by inXile entertainment
New Pledge Summary
Amount pledged
$45.00
Reward
ALL ABOUT THE GAMES - RPG SPECIAL - ALL DIGITAL ============================= Two great RPGs from inXile for under the price of a single game! You'll receive a digital downloadable copy of Torment: Tides of Numenera and Wasteland 2, both DRM-free for PC, MAC OSX, or Linux. You'll also receive Digital Game Manuals for both.
Estimated delivery
Dec 2014

So who knows?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
You'll get Wasteland 2 when it is released, not this beta version.

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

You've got about as much skill as the rest of the aforementioned 500-degree-pizza-making, twice-fermenting, under-kneading, poorly-seasoning, parchment-using yokels.

Rinkles posted:

Anybody have any negative impressions, outside of the expected beta level jank?

In terms of worldbuilding, encounter design, etc., it's fantastic. The combat/character progression mechanics are veritable dark age relics, though. We're talking some straight up 2nd edition D&D poo poo here--certain active skills give xp to the person using them, which allows for substantial level disparity between party members in the long run. It's not as egregious the xp-for-spells thing that baldur's gate did, but still, if you have one character with the perception, lockpicking, and tech skills, the gap will become enormous very quickly.

The attributes take the quintessential rpg design error--having an attribute which governs how many actions you're allowed to take--a step further. Now there's not only a stat which governs how many action points a character gets, but then ANOTHER stat which causes them to straight up take extra turns. And neither one is the stat called "speed." At the moment I have to assume the initiative system is bugged; I've never in my life seen a CRPG or pen and paper system so out of touch that high initiative characters were able to act multiple times before anyone else, a variable must not be rounded off somewhere or something. At least I hope it's a bug, rather than deliberate design. At the moment, no matter what character you're trying to make--a long range sniper, a heavy melee bruiser, a mid-range demolitions and machine gun expert--you're always going to be maxing awareness and coordination to the detriment of everything else, and being superior for it.

Another really irksome thing which strongarms your party composition is the way dialogue skills work--only the character you had selected at the moment of a dialogue prompt is able to use dialogue skills in conversation, even though you appear to be able to switch out the character who's talking by clicking on their portrait. As a result, the only way to use persuasion is to put all the persuasion skills on one character, and then make sure that you're always controlling that character while moving around, lest a surprise encounter trigger your idiot bruiser while he's leading the charge. Again, I hope this is a bug, since the ability to switch characters by clicking the conversation portrait would imply to me that they meant it to work more elegantly than it does.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

NOT PAUL LAYTON posted:

In terms of worldbuilding, encounter design, etc., it's fantastic. The combat/character progression mechanics are veritable dark age relics, though. We're talking some straight up 2nd edition D&D poo poo here--certain active skills give xp to the person using them, which allows for substantial level disparity between party members in the long run. It's not as egregious the xp-for-spells thing that baldur's gate did, but still, if you have one character with the perception, lockpicking, and tech skills, the gap will become enormous very quickly.

The attributes take the quintessential rpg design error--having an attribute which governs how many actions you're allowed to take--a step further. Now there's not only a stat which governs how many action points a character gets, but then ANOTHER stat which causes them to straight up take extra turns. And neither one is the stat called "speed." At the moment I have to assume the initiative system is bugged; I've never in my life seen a CRPG or pen and paper system so out of touch that high initiative characters were able to act multiple times before anyone else, a variable must not be rounded off somewhere or something. At least I hope it's a bug, rather than deliberate design. At the moment, no matter what character you're trying to make--a long range sniper, a heavy melee bruiser, a mid-range demolitions and machine gun expert--you're always going to be maxing awareness and coordination to the detriment of everything else, and being superior for it.

Another really irksome thing which strongarms your party composition is the way dialogue skills work--only the character you had selected at the moment of a dialogue prompt is able to use dialogue skills in conversation, even though you appear to be able to switch out the character who's talking by clicking on their portrait. As a result, the only way to use persuasion is to put all the persuasion skills on one character, and then make sure that you're always controlling that character while moving around, lest a surprise encounter trigger your idiot bruiser while he's leading the charge. Again, I hope this is a bug, since the ability to switch characters by clicking the conversation portrait would imply to me that they meant it to work more elegantly than it does.

Adding to this:

- AI for enemies is pretty poo poo. Aggro tables and flanking is just not in their logic set
- On the topic of AI, welcome to BauldersGate2 level party micromanagement. See that minefield on your map ? Take a guess how your party's followers will walk: Right Through it.
- Sound glitching.
- To hit does not match with the % to hit ratio. Expect to get 3/4 misses even with 80% hit floating over your target. This flows through into the whole game's skill check system where either something is broken or the game math is not what it appears to be.
- Rendering and camera object interactivity. Fully expect to be doing the "Edos Shuffle" where to click on that plot item you must spin your camera around to an oblique 4% angle below the gameworld to click on that plot trigger switch.
- Rendering and GPI use. If you thought early Cryptic builds are bad for overheating your EBT/SNAP Card purchased NVidia cards, do NOT play this build. Not optimized at all for 339 build drivers. In fact I'm not sure what libraries they are using, but it's nothing updated for this past stock market bull run (est.2009).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

grrarg posted:

You'll get Wasteland 2 when it is released, not this beta version.

The problem is Ranger Center doesn't recognize that I preordered at all for some reason. It's an odd system.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Anybody have any negative impressions, outside of the expected beta level jank?

At the moment my main annoyance is UI issues and the camera. I'd really like to be able to tilt the camera up to see more of the horizon - as it is if I'm in close enough for my characters to be larger than ants I can't see 10 feet in front of me.

I also hate the way the turn progression works, it makes it really hard to coordinate my rangers as one guy is getting all the turns. I'd like the animations to be sped up, and the waiting time while someone uses a skill needs to go way down, unless that is something that happens as you get higher skill. The color pallette/contrast could use a bit of variance too.

Reading back through those, I guess I'd say I don't have any negative impressions of stuff that couldn't be fixed. It seems a really interesting game and I'm looking forward to playing it when it's finished.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

NOT PAUL LAYTON posted:

That's a known bug, from what I've heard.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hal_2005 posted:

Adding to this:

- To hit does not match with the % to hit ratio. Expect to get 3/4 misses even with 80% hit floating over your target. This flows through into the whole game's skill check system where either something is broken or the game math is not what it appears to be.

I'm not making GBS threads on anything else, as you seem to have made some astute observations, but it really bothers me when people make this assumption about percentages. Nothing is broken, it's just probably rolling off a seed it sets each time or something, and Bob's your uncle. 80% still means that 20% of each time you'll miss.

It would be better to not say that it's 'bugged', but that there should be better failure checking and a forced step-in to hit depending on certain met conditions, like, if you're at 80% you can't miss 3 times in a row no matter the rolls behind the scenes or you won't get a miss twice in a row, but a reduced damage number or somesuch, and if you're at 95+ you will never miss the first hit, or something like that.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

chiefnewo posted:

I also hate the way the turn progression works, it makes it really hard to coordinate my rangers as one guy is getting all the turns. I'd like the animations to be sped up,

You can set the Combat Speed in the options. I doubled it and it's much faster. It can go even faster, but it looks funny.

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

You've got about as much skill as the rest of the aforementioned 500-degree-pizza-making, twice-fermenting, under-kneading, poorly-seasoning, parchment-using yokels.
Another really obnoxious design flaw: there's a diceroll element to using some active skills. Dialogue skills have flat cutoffs (you must have X skill to choose Y option), sensibly, but then when using active skills outside of dialogue, there's a percentage chance of success. When you have a percentage chance of success, and the ability to retry, every percentage chance becomes 100--it's just a matter of how much you're going to bother the player first. D&D has had this problem solved for a long time--when you're not in combat, you are assumed to give full concentration to a skill check, and thus you always roll a 20, which makes success a less-tedious binary. I hope this is changed, since it makes incremental improvements to the lockpicking and repair skills feel very unrewarding.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Drifter posted:

I'm not making GBS threads on anything else, as you seem to have made some astute observations, but it really bothers me when people make this assumption about percentages. Nothing is broken, it's just probably rolling off a seed it sets each time or something, and Bob's your uncle. 80% still means that 20% of each time you'll miss.

It would be better to not say that it's 'bugged', but that there should be better failure checking and a forced step-in to hit depending on certain met conditions, like, if you're at 80% you can't miss 3 times in a row no matter the rolls behind the scenes or you won't get a miss twice in a row, but a reduced damage number or somesuch, and if you're at 95+ you will never miss the first hit, or something like that.

If this is the case you need to give the enemy the same bonuses or else the game becomes easier.

The only way to keep players from bitching about percentages is to eliminate percentages. The recent Star Wars RPG had the good idea to give advantages on dice rolls so even if you fail you might get something beneficial like a one-time bonus.

e: I do agree that skill checks outside of combat should be automatic success or one-time but the latter leads to players who save-scum. Still, this is a problem all RPG game designers have to work with.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

NOT PAUL LAYTON posted:

Another really obnoxious design flaw: there's a diceroll element to using some active skills. Dialogue skills have flat cutoffs (you must have X skill to choose Y option), sensibly, but then when using active skills outside of dialogue, there's a percentage chance of success. When you have a percentage chance of success, and the ability to retry, every percentage chance becomes 100--it's just a matter of how much you're going to bother the player first. D&D has had this problem solved for a long time--when you're not in combat, you are assumed to give full concentration to a skill check, and thus you always roll a 20, which makes success a less-tedious binary. I hope this is changed, since it makes incremental improvements to the lockpicking and repair skills feel very unrewarding.

I'm somewhat disappointed by some of the mechanics that are straight-up lifted from Wasteland. I mean, you can even make macros in WL1 so that you can do tedious checks over and over again, for crying out loud. Some innovation in that regard would be really welcome.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

NOT PAUL LAYTON posted:

Oh man, that's the worst. Where you just sit there clicking and re-clicking because even though you meet the requirements there's still another randomized roll for success afterwards. Blah. That stuff is not fun. haha.

How're things when you explore? One of the things that had me stop Wasteland 1 recently was right in the beginning trying to find that cave between two trees and a pond or whatever and without any sort of visual cue I had to spam the perception skill each step I took in order to find it. I really can't say I enjoy the "take a step - spam all your skills - take a step - spam all your skills" approach to things. I enjoy having active skills running as I move if that has to be a thing at all.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 15, 2013

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

Drifter posted:

Oh man, that's the worst. Where you just sit there clicking and re-clicking because even though you meet the requirements there's still another randomized roll for success afterwards. Blah. That stuff is not fun. haha.

How're things when you explore? One of the things that had me stop Wasteland 1 recently was right in the beginning trying to find that cave between two trees and a pond or whatever and without any sort of visual cue I had to spam the perception skill each step I took in order to find it. I really can't say I enjoy the "take a step - spam all your skills - take a step - spam all your skills" approach to things. I enjoy having active skills running as I move if that has to be a thing at all.

Near as I can tell, all the active use of the perception skill does is highlight clickable objects. You can also do this by pressing the "z" key. It is very strange.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

ravenkult posted:

You can set the Combat Speed in the options. I doubled it and it's much faster. It can go even faster, but it looks funny.

Ha, I didn't even think to look in there. Thanks!

NOT PAUL LAYTON posted:

Near as I can tell, all the active use of the perception skill does is highlight clickable objects. You can also do this by pressing the "z" key. It is very strange.

The perception skill seems to give xp randomly. If I use it after a fight I seem to get a small chunk of xp for each corpse in the radius.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So perception just seems to give extra XP when you interact with various things?
Meh, I've seen worse.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

The problem is Ranger Center doesn't recognize that I preordered at all for some reason. It's an odd system.

You're not supposed to see anything in Ranger Center. Assuming you've pledged entirely through Torment, when the final version of WL2 is released your key will show up here: https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/donations

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

NOT PAUL LAYTON posted:

Do tell them this on their forums. This grognard poo poo must not pass.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drifter posted:

That may be true, but Angela frequently has 100% hit rates and still misses in my game, so...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

That may be true, but Angela frequently has 100% hit rates and still misses in my game, so...

Soo...that's a bug.
Merely missing several times a row at 80% isn't, so...

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

NOT PAUL LAYTON posted:

There's hope - this isn't true all the time. For example there's a person you need to use the Doctor skill on to repair some injury and you only get one try (if you fail the story goes in a different direction). Arguably this is worse (quest progression tied to RNG), but at least they're thinking ahead a bit, and we might see locks jam on incompetent spam etc.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drifter posted:

Soo...that's a bug.
Merely missing several times a row at 80% isn't, so...

Yeah. He was saying there might be a bug, and you're right about percentages, but there is something in the accuracy reporting or the hit checking that's not working as intended. So you're both right!

Anyone met a random encounter where someone is using the "Test Ammo?" It seems to do absurd amounts of damage. Their partners using regular bullets may only do 4 to 6 maybe 8, but those with Test Ammo will do as much as 32 with one shot.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Megazver posted:

Do tell them this on their forums. This grognard poo poo must not pass.
This, please. RPG mechanics have made improvements on several of these poor design choices.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Concerns about Coord = AP are slightly overblown.

Coord gives 0.5 AP/point, and all other stats except luck/charisma give 1 AP per 6 points. If you take 2 coord, 1 luck, 1 cha you still end up with 8 AP regardless of your distribution. My melee guy has 2 coord (optimal to at least have this at an even number), 1 luck, 1 cha, 10 awareness, 8 str, 3 int (threshold for 3 SP/level; every character should either be at 3 int or 6 int (threshold for 4 SP/level)).

But yeah, awareness is nuts.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I guess I'm dumb but: where are the drat repeaters?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Presto posted:

I guess I'm dumb but: where are the drat repeaters?

The map is full of caves. One of them has a dead robot and a box with the repeaters. If you don't get a bug like I did the first time you should get a call from Vargas.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Lotish posted:

The map is full of caves. One of them has a dead robot and a box with the repeaters. If you don't get a bug like I did the first time you should get a call from Vargas.

First time was OK for me, got that bug the second time through (rerolling like mad). Any fix in case I hit it again?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Young Freud posted:

What about releasing the Indian girl without killing the Juvies? Because I'm so tempted right now to throwaway my goodwill with Highpool by killing them.

Make sure and talk to her *before* opening the cage. If you just open up the cage after clearing out the Juvies she'll run off the map. It's funny, but annoying.

I'm having a lot of fun with this game although it's starting to irritate me with how badly I assigned my stats to the one custom character I built. Urgh, 3 skill points a level just bugs my ocd brain. Also, his initiative is for poo poo so he just sits around in battle like a lump. Good thing he's my safecracking, lock picking, perception dude. Picks up lots of nice extra xp's from that.

Apart from some serious crashing / loading issues starting to crop up due to weird save bugs, I'm still having a good time. It really feels like a solidly built beta test though. There's quirky little things all over the place with the interface and stuff glitching in and out. Hearing cockroaches squeel like piggies when they die made me laugh. Hopefully that sound library will get updated in the future patches.

Now I want to see the whole game, not this little teaser.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So early access is on steam now for $60. Cool.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Lotish posted:

Yeah. He was saying there might be a bug, and you're right about percentages, but there is something in the accuracy reporting or the hit checking that's not working as intended. So you're both right!

Anyone met a random encounter where someone is using the "Test Ammo?" It seems to do absurd amounts of damage. Their partners using regular bullets may only do 4 to 6 maybe 8, but those with Test Ammo will do as much as 32 with one shot.

Yeah test ammo is something leftover from alpha. Got an email reply to this bug also.

The triggers for mob aggro are also not working properly. So if you are in a zone, and the mobs just randomly seem to swarm from all over the map towards you (Rangers vs. the horde of 90 dire bunnies for example). that should be fixed by next Friday. Derp.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Drifter posted:

So perception just seems to give extra XP when you interact with various things?
Meh, I've seen worse.

Perceiving NPCs is a great source of XP. Except of course, when I realized that reloading a map meant whatever trigger was set for NPCs to have been perceived reset itself, meaning you could perceive all the NPCs all over again. Then it becomes an awesome source. Highpool (where all the juvies are alive) suddenly becomes a massive ball of XP even when you're done with the place, because you can just run into the cistern area, pop out again, run around perceiving and repeat until you're at any level you desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Was anyone able to figure out the dowry quest?

I entered the building, spoke to JB, killed the bandits, and did not open the safe. She seemed happy. Then I left, went into the sewer thing and found the dowry pistol in the safe in there, and journal updated to "this seems to be her dowry, give it to her". When I go back to talk to her (after finishing everything else) she says "I'm too busy planning my perfect wedding". I opened the safe and got the note from her dad too, didn't change anything. I guess it's some beta bug?

• Locked thread