Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
That's the problem, I never get to drive it. She says she is never gonna get rid of it, she loves that drat car. So time to sell some stereo equipment and go Miata shopping after the holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

GOD IS BED posted:

You can probably fix that by re-bedding the pads; find a clear bit of road and make a series of hard stops, going from 30 mph to 0, 40-0, 50-0, 60-0, then going back down to 50-0, 40-0, and finally 30-0. Try not to stay on the brakes too long between stops, the rotors will be hot and susceptible to marking. By the same token, make sure to do a bit of driving afterward, to cool down the pads/rotors before putting the parking brake on.
The NC pads really love to squeal, so I have to this every few months.

vvvvv: 300 hp and non-convertible? You don't want a Miata, you want a Corvette or a M3 coupe, man.

Thanks for that!

Finding clear roads in MN right now might be difficult however :)

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

leica posted:

"I secretly like Miatas but hate everything they stand for" :lol:

Maybe you should just get a Mustang or something?

I don't know, it's slow, but it's a good platform to make fast. RWD, good weight distribution, mid 2000's for curb weight - it's hard to ask for more in a car that doesn't cost a lot of money. Handling performance can be virtually any level you care for with off the shelf stuff. There are hardtops or aftermarket hardtops so that would "fix" that, although I have no clue if they suck rear end or not. The sound sucks but oh well it's not like what I got is very good right now anyway, and it's also not like I see miatas putting out 300 hp every day so maybe all I've really heard are bolt on n/as with straight pipes buzzing my soul to death. And even if it sounded like a long fart (it does) that's a small price to pay for everything ou get.

I know these are all obvious things to you guys but I don't get your comment.

So yes, I secretly like and want a miata.

I've had a mustang, and despite the fact it was a lovely loving 1979 fairlane (04 GT), it was still one of my favorites.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ignoarints posted:

I don't know, it's slow, but it's a good platform to make fast. RWD, good weight distribution, mid 2000's for curb weight - it's hard to ask for more in a car that doesn't cost a lot of money. Handling performance can be virtually any level you care for with off the shelf stuff. There are hardtops or aftermarket hardtops so that would "fix" that, although I have no clue if they suck rear end or not. The sound sucks but oh well it's not like what I got is very good right now anyway, and it's also not like I see miatas putting out 300 hp every day so maybe all I've really heard are bolt on n/as with straight pipes buzzing my soul to death. And even if it sounded like a long fart (it does) that's a small price to pay for everything ou get.

I've had a mustang, and despite the fact it was a lovely loving 1979 fairlane (04 GT), it was still one of my favorites.

You have to spend a lot of money to get a Miata to 300hp, and it's still a wet noodle of a chassis even with a hard top. It still really sounds like you want a Corvette, but you like the idea of a Miata.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ignoarints posted:

So yes, I secretly like and want a miata .

Yeah man, I hear you. I'm the same way with the Honda Civic 4WD wagon. It is a great car because it's a Honda and it's super reliable and it has seats for 5 people at the same time, and oh yeah, there's like a turbo kit and you can make 300 hp. I'd probably kill myself if I ever driven a stock 115hp one because that isn't enough power you know. Like if you can't do the 0-60 dance in under 6 seconds, you should probably kill yourself. You don't even want to know what you should do if you ain't running 11s, bro.

But yeah, it's super reliable and fast dude. It has 4WD, how boss is that?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

Heh, good thing you keep it a secret wouldn't want anyone to think you're insecure. Don't worry I got your back bruh (get it, it's an anal sex joke).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

destructo posted:

Heh, good thing you keep it a secret wouldn't want anyone to think you're insecure. Don't worry I got your back bruh (get it, it's an anal sex joke).

Anal sex is no joke. :colbert:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mazda Curse :argh:

Dad sent this to me last night, somebody backed into it and tore my cover. Luckily it looks like no damage to the car, and they actually left a note.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

You don't get my comment because you don't get Miatas.

It obviously isn't the car for you, so why do you waste our time posting about your "secret" desire for a Miata that you are never going to have?

:frogout:

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

I'm finally replacing the water pump that's been leaking for years now that I've got the miata in winter storage, and trying to put together my order for all the parts I need. Is this to good to be true? I feel like it must be mislabeled or a pricing error http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?tab=search&partnum=TBK490WP otherwise I see Rosenthal has a kit I can order, or I can try to piece it all together on rock auto. Anyone have any any suggestions or recommendations? I'm going to replace the radiator and hoses while it's all apart, and I'm leaving towards replacing my crank and cam oil seals at the same time too. What other stuff can I do while I've got the car laid out all winter?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sounds like you pretty much have it covered. Only things I would recommend (and I'll be doing the same job here soon) is flushing the cooling system with distilled water and maybe a flush agent to get any corrosion or build up out of the system, you don't want any tap water or gunk in there after putting in a brand new water pump. Also a crank bolt tool and cam locker are cheap and will help make the job go a little quicker. I have a cam locker and it's awesome, and also just picked up a crank bolt tool for free from poster bugdryver that made a couple of them (thanks bro). You can get one from Flyin Miata though.

As far as the kit you posted, it's probably fine, but I only trust Gates timing parts for aftermarket because I've worked on Mazda motors for a long time and Gates is pretty much the go to standard other than Mazda OEM parts. Little more expensive but worth the peace of mind imo.

Also I plan on giving the engine bay a good cleaning/detailing while having all those parts out and I'm probably going to paint the valve cover too.

If I'm leaving anything out let me know guys, I may have overlooked something I'm sure.

VVV I knew it, :doh:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 14, 2013

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Valve cover gasket would be nice. Not sure why the picture shows 4 cam seals when you only need 2.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
New project acquired. Now I need to finish stripping my NA for the parts I want to transfer over/sell and get this into the garage so I can start working on it. It'll eventually be a PTE car.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
That looks really nice, congrats.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

These cars look great with a hard top. I should start saving my pennies...

Also:

(it's a 'shop but not too bad looking imo)

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
It looks a lot like the coupe they made a few of though. Shame it didnt become a thing because I think the miata coupes look awesome.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Previa_fun posted:

These cars look great with a hard top. I should start saving my pennies...

Also:

(it's a 'shop but not too bad looking imo)

This is a real one here- made by a company called Autokonexion. Not sure if I like the trunk opening and the duckbill spoiler, but if the trunk actually can open I wouldn't complain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's an NC version but not available for sale yet

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I wish they brought the Miata coupe over. I love driving the GFs NA but I hate hate hate convertibles. I even hate sunroofs (which is strange considering I daily ride a motorcycle but whatever).
As soon as I get a place with a two car garage I'm probably going to pick up a 987 or 981 Cayman in protest of there not being a small, nimble Japanese two seater.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Rhyno posted:

There's an NC version but not available for sale yet

Oh drat. Now I want an NC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

As Nero Danced posted:

Oh drat. Now I want an NC.

It's being made by Garage Vary but there's not a word of an actual release and almost no chance of it coming to North America.

http://www.roadster-nc.com/2013/08/fastback-hardtop.html

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What have I done...

Having come from an old '96 Camry, I'm having a little difficulty getting used to the electronic throttle pedal... But drat is it nice driving a small car, having a tight turning radius, and having a working radio. :v: It's quite rev-happy car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nice color choice.

Phone fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 16, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
:stare: is that a facelift of the NC model or something? I never liked NCs until now. That thing looks drat good.

Needs about a 2" drop and a red stripe on the wheel lip :getin:

EDIT: aww, the spokes go all the way to the lip :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beach Bum posted:

:stare: is that a facelift of the NC model or something? I never liked NCs until now. That thing looks drat good.

Needs about a 2" drop and a red stripe on the wheel lip :getin:

EDIT: aww, the spokes go all the way to the lip :smith:

They refreshed it a few years ago, I like the NC1 better myself since it doesn't look like a grinning fool.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's 3 cosmetic generations, and the latest one does look pretty good. Too bad it isn't the ND. :smith:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm tracking down an oil leak on a '99, and wondering if I want to buy the gaskets, seals, and O-rings one at a time as I find something wrong or if there's a decent gasket and seal kit on Rockauto or ebay vendors.

Also, for an NB am I supposed to buy the NA Haynes repair manual or pony up for the factory service manual? I've just been using online literature, but I'd really like a physical book too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Get the factory service manual.

Also check all the usual spots for leaks then order what you need. CAS O ring and valve cover gasket are the main spots. If those look ok, then the front seals should be checked, and hopefully the rear main isn't leaking because that's a job.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Some dude on Reddit made a custom fastback

http://imgur.com/a/t7cK3

http://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/1t5uwc/mazda_miata_mx5_hard_top_fastback_build_pics/

I think it look s a little off in some places, but it does remind me of some 90s TVRs or something.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
FD RX-7. Thalidomide edition. :ohdear:

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
The video is kind of cool because they do some rough aero testing and claim an increase in top speed on the track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymvI_h1VwgI

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Hog Obituary posted:

The video is kind of cool because they do some rough aero testing and claim an increase in top speed on the track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymvI_h1VwgI

Reminds me of VitaminJ (I believe it was him at least) taping a bunch of yarn to his car and driving around.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Mazda Curse :argh:

Dad sent this to me last night, somebody backed into it and tore my cover. Luckily it looks like no damage to the car, and they actually left a note.

Sooo, my dad didn't pull the cover back enough to see that its actually pretty hosed up.

Off to the body shop under neighbor lady's insurance I suppose.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

opengl128 posted:

Off to the body shop under neighbor lady's insurance I suppose.

pop it back out from the trunk with a soft hammer, and pocket the money?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Reminds me of VitaminJ (I believe it was him at least) taping a bunch of yarn to his car and driving around.

Haha are you serious? That dude was insufferable, if anyone did it it probably was him.

"You know when someone has been to the track" if they tape yarn to the car because AERO.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It is a legit way to test aero. There's plenty of reasons to hate on him, but the genesis of it was that he drilled holes in his Civic's bumper (speed holes) and djcommie was like "hey nerd, you're probably loving up the aerodynamics of the car high/low pressure science etc".

In the end, it produced words that destructo and I will quote forever: It sure is easy to tell who's been to the track and who hasn't

E: holy lol I forgot the exact phrasing but you were spot on about AERODYNAMICS

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2880541&userid=101729#post345277839

Phone fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 19, 2013

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Chriskory posted:

pop it back out from the trunk with a soft hammer, and pocket the money?

I was considering just popping it out until I got a good look in person, the paint in the bottom dent is trashed, and I just spent a whole day with the orbital on the car, it looked perfect.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh that's how the quote went, I was close :v:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Had my first vacation day of the holiday season, so i spent the morning removing my ratty old softtop from my NA, just last week i picked up a headliner/defroster hardtop from a silver NB, and bolted it down with some spec miata brackets, but the softtop rattled and looked forlorn all week, so out it came. So long 30 pounds, hello clean rear view!

I really would like to replace the carpet down the road, especially with some of the early 1.6 cars carpets that i hear are nicer in quality. The main issue is i've removed the center console from the car and dont really know a way to close that hole in the carpet in a clean way, for now i have some cheap home depot carpet with a shifter boot i made from the material from a 10 year old broken computer chair and a sewing kit. The shift knob was something randomly lying around the shop that i initially thought was a dirty crack pipe, but i like that its taller than the stock knob, and it matching nothing in my interior looks cool to me. What would be my best bet to have nice carpet with a center console delete, just buy a massive rug and trim it to fit? How wrinkled and ugly do non-shaped/molded carpets end up looking?

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Phone posted:

It is a legit way to test aero.

Do tell.