Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo:

I thought 100psi oil pressures in gas motors were crazy.

Wait WHAT? 4,000 PSI oil pressure?

Oh wait, that has those weird oil actuated injectors doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

CommieGIR posted:

Naw, that's what PSI the oil is injected into the bore at so it runs off the crankcase and not the fueltank.

:v:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CommieGIR posted:

Right, hydraulically actuated electronic unit injectors where the oil does the work of pressurizing the fuel during the injection so the oil pressure has to be high. New diesels now go common rail at silly fuel pressures in them to get good fast injections at high RPM. The fuel rail on the 6.7 runs at 29,000 PSI which is just crazy.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I am curious to see how this lasts over the long term. When it lets go, its going to be quite a show.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Common rail is the new thing and is much better. Should also start seeing spark plugs with PCC chambers, lighter blocks and lower combustion temps and pressures among other things.

Those pressures are usually seen in large diesels. At least with the common rail you don't have to worry about individual fuel pumps and fuel leaking into your cam lube oil. The electronic injection can really boost performance and you can start to do really nifty things with it.

Pray you don't encounter a high pressure fuel line let go, especially with the types of fuel you can run into in large diesels.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was told the fuel rail on my mack AC460 runs at 40,000 PSI, so all the fuel lines and fittings post-injection pump is one time use only. if you have to pull the injectors out for whatever reason, you have to replace all the fuel lines and fittings.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lightpole posted:

Common rail is the new thing and is much better. Should also start seeing spark plugs with PCC chambers, lighter blocks and lower combustion temps and pressures among other things.

Those pressures are usually seen in large diesels. At least with the common rail you don't have to worry about individual fuel pumps and fuel leaking into your cam lube oil. The electronic injection can really boost performance and you can start to do really nifty things with it.

Pray you don't encounter a high pressure fuel line let go, especially with the types of fuel you can run into in large diesels.

I still prefer VE injection systems for ease of maintenance and longevity.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

CommieGIR posted:

I still prefer VE injection systems for ease of maintenance and longevity.

Well it's all about economy and efficiency now. Engines designed with ease of maintenance in mind are rather rare as it is but I don't really have much experience working on small diesels so I can't really say much there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Everybody needs to spend some time watching this. there are 4 videos, it's the diesel power challenge. So much torque on display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoEQGai3KMw

This makes me want to dump a couple grand into that beater powerstroke and just get stupid with it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

As I'm searching still, what IS something good to look for in a nice diesel truck? I'd like a manual transmission (just personal preference, they're what I've driven most of my life) which pretty much says 'Dodge' I guess, what should I look for and be wary of as a prospective buyer?

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Powershift posted:

Everybody needs to spend some time watching this. there are 4 videos, it's the diesel power challenge. So much torque on display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoEQGai3KMw

This makes me want to dump a couple grand into that beater powerstroke and just get stupid with it.

Do you have a lift? Would make it much easier.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Diesel AI-ers: my wife is looking at buying a Ford MPV with the 2.0 TDCi duratorq lump - the "ZSD" PSA developed engine not the old chain-timed Ford diesel.

She's found a likely candidate with 50k on the clock, but the seller admits (so we can probably safely assume) it probably missed a service between something like 11k miles and 36k. I'm therefore assuming it has run the same oil for something like 25k miles. It's had a couple oil changes since then according to the book, nothing adverse in the service receipts and it runs and drives ok.

As a non-diesel person, my intial thought was that if it has compression as of today and has run OK for the intervening 15k, missing a service isn't a deal breaker. But having been asked to make the seller an offer, I've been considering the fact that the turbo's spent probably 15k with some very hosed oil. On top of that, this ZSD installation also has a remote filler, so I won't really know if the top end is full of sludge without popping the valve cover.

Is it just a really bad idea to buy this thing at any price? These aren't rare cars, but the spec on this one is good and dealers want a lot of money for them. Or should I just offer only a decent price minus £600 for a recond. turbo and do a couple of oil and filter changes in fairly quick succession?

e: if the turbo did let go due to accelerated bearing wear, we'd also be looking not just at the turbo but a lot of piping and flushing everything out as well, I presume? So that's more like £1,000.

Saga fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 20, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Saga posted:

Diesel AI-ers: my wife is looking at buying a Ford MPV with the 2.0 TDCi duratorq lump - the "ZSD" PSA developed engine not the old chain-timed Ford diesel.

She's found a likely candidate with 50k on the clock, but the seller admits (so we can probably safely assume) it probably missed a service between something like 11k miles and 36k. I'm therefore assuming it has run the same oil for something like 25k miles. It's had a couple oil changes since then according to the book, nothing adverse in the service receipts and it runs and drives ok.

As a non-diesel person, my intial thought was that if it has compression as of today and has run OK for the intervening 15k, missing a service isn't a deal breaker. But having been asked to make the seller an offer, I've been considering the fact that the turbo's spent probably 15k with some very hosed oil. On top of that, this ZSD installation also has a remote filler, so I won't really know if the top end is full of sludge without popping the valve cover.

Is it just a really bad idea to buy this thing at any price? These aren't rare cars, but the spec on this one is good and dealers want a lot of money for them. Or should I just offer only a decent price minus £600 for a recond. turbo and do a couple of oil and filter changes in fairly quick succession?

e: if the turbo did let go due to accelerated bearing wear, we'd also be looking not just at the turbo but a lot of piping and flushing everything out as well, I presume? So that's more like £1,000.

If its a private sale, demand they pay for the oil change and a quick mechanic inspection, otherwise I'd walk.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

If its a private sale, demand they pay for the oil change and a quick mechanic inspection, otherwise I'd walk.

We haven't agreed a price, so yeah I could drop the price and make it conditional on an inspection. However, the seller isn't going to pay for it and I'm not sure how much I'd learn unless I pay a shop to remove sump and valve cover, unhook turbo and check bearing play etc. Like I said, it sounds and drives just fine, so your average shop is going to shrug, charge me £150 and tell me it looks ok.

Not trying to be difficult and I do see your point, but my question is more is this worth taking a punt on if I get him to drop the price way down, or is 25k old oil really, really likely to produce turbo failure on a Duratorq? All the internet people with dead turbos on low-mile PSA developed engines is making me think this car will never be cheap enough, but if knowledgeable goons tell me otherwise I am willing to be convinced.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Saga posted:

We haven't agreed a price, so yeah I could drop the price and make it conditional on an inspection. However, the seller isn't going to pay for it and I'm not sure how much I'd learn unless I pay a shop to remove sump and valve cover, unhook turbo and check bearing play etc. Like I said, it sounds and drives just fine, so your average shop is going to shrug, charge me £150 and tell me it looks ok.

Not trying to be difficult and I do see your point, but my question is more is this worth taking a punt on if I get him to drop the price way down, or is 25k old oil really, really likely to produce turbo failure on a Duratorq? All the internet people with dead turbos on low-mile PSA developed engines is making me think this car will never be cheap enough, but if knowledgeable goons tell me otherwise I am willing to be convinced.

Well, if it sounds okay, just go with it, and change the oil as SOON as you get it home.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
You can get him to drop the price but not get an oil change? If there is any damage it should show up in the oil so that might be one way to check.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

lightpole posted:

You can get him to drop the price but not get an oil change? If there is any damage it should show up in the oil so that might be one way to check.

No, he's not going to pay for an inspection that would actually determine if it's sludged to hell or if the turbo's showing any signs of imminent demise. I'd do my own oil change so I know what has gone into the sump.

Think I'm going to leave this one up to my wife...that way I don't get blamed. :)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Anybody know much about the early/mid-80s Perkins diesel Ranger? I have an opportunity to pick a running one up for around $2700 + an old iMac I'm too lazy to sell (asking price of the truck is around $3200). Manual, good condition interior, includes a bed cap. Trying to find out from the mechanic if it has any red flags. Anything particularly toxic about a truck of that vintage? I'm almost certain the one in question is an '84.

Long story short, father in law drove to Washington state from southern California under the pretense of a reliable vehicle for my sister in law. We think he really just wanted another diesel pickup to drive himself (already has a early 2000s F250). The topic came up that I was looking for a small pickup, and here we are.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Prepare to hate yourself.

They're STUPIDLY underpowered, even for the small ranger, and have some insanely high compression ratio that means there's really nothing you can do about it.

You'll get decent fuel mileage, but with a 30+ second 0-60, there's no reason to own one other fuel mileage. You will literally have prius owners tailgating, then rage-passing you while flipping you the bird.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
A friend of mine might be moving overseas and leaving behind his 2012 Sportwagen TDI DSG. I'm considering buying it from him for my wife, it has about 24k mile on it now and 12k left on the warranty (he might not be moving for a few months so I don't know what the situation would be at that point). I don't know much about modern VWs - anything I should know about the drive train, electrics, or other issues? I've typically been scared off by VWs but might be willing to give this a shot.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

blk posted:

A friend of mine might be moving overseas and leaving behind his 2012 Sportwagen TDI DSG. I'm considering buying it from him for my wife, it has about 24k mile on it now and 12k left on the warranty (he might not be moving for a few months so I don't know what the situation would be at that point). I don't know much about modern VWs - anything I should know about the drive train, electrics, or other issues? I've typically been scared off by VWs but might be willing to give this a shot.

I have a 2011 Golf TDI/DSG (and previous to that an 08 GTI with DSG) and they've been nothing but fantastic. There have been a few technical service bulletin that you'll want to make sure have been done but otherwise they are solid cars. A friend picked up a new sportwagon last year and absolutely loves it, not a single issue.

Be aware of the service costs if you plan to take it to a dealer for such things, especially on the DSG, but I'd suggest finding a good TDI mechanic that will do scheduled maintenance if you won't be doing it yourself.

The transmission is probably my favorite part about these cars, it is so fantastic and a dream to drive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

I've got 8k on our '13 JSW TDI (DSG) and I love it. Best mileage I've gotten so far is 42 on the highway, going 70-75.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
My brother and I both have 2013 Jetta TDI's (his is a sportwagen). Neither have given us any issues. I just hit 20k miles (Bought mine in Oct. 2012) and my brother is over 36k miles (he bought his in Mar. 2013). The dealerships have also been great when I take it in for the carefree maintenance. On Wednesday, I called to schedule an appointment for Friday morning. It was a rough week, so I forgot what day of the week it was and ended up taking it in Thursday morning instead. The guy didn't mention that I was there on the wrong day and took it in for service even though they were already pretty booked. When I came back to pick it up, I apologized and explained to him what happened. He said he noticed that in the computer, but not to worry about it. They even washed the car.

I haven't asked my brother what kind of mileage he gets from his Sportwagen, but when I was commuting from Modesto to San Ramon, on a normal day, I'd get about 48 mpg. On a really good day, I could hit 52 mpg. (These figures are from the onboard computer, they have a real time and a trip average readout.) Winter, I think it would go down to about 42 mpg. Now that my trips are shorter (~8mi each way) I'm hitting ~38-ish mpg in summer and ~35-ish mpg in Winter.

Really, my biggest gripe was that I paid extra to get the Fender Audio system and the drat door pockets would vibrate and make noise. Fixed that with a bit of foam though.

**edit**
Forgot to mention, both of ours are DSG as well. I was originally looking at a manual, but the dealership didn't offer the Fender Audio system with those. At the time, I was commuting a lot so I wanted a nice audio system. It is quite nice for a stock system. Much better than the Bose Premium system I had in my old Acura 3.2 TL Type-S.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 13, 2013

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

qutius posted:

The transmission is probably my favorite part about these cars, it is so fantastic and a dream to drive.

seriously, the DSG transmissions are awesome. First auto I have ever owned and one of the best I have ever driven.

BraveUlysses posted:

I've got 8k on our '13 JSW TDI (DSG) and I love it. Best mileage I've gotten so far is 42 on the highway, going 70-75.

I have the same thing, but still under 2k miles. Just did my first road trip in it(~400 miles roundtrip) and got about the same mileage. I was surprised with how comfortable the seats were on the drive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah, I love the seats. Much better than the forester we had before it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah, I love the seats. Much better than the forester we had before it.

Subaru seats are pretty horrid for long trips. The JSW replaced a 2000 Outback. Just making the drive from seattle to bellingham(around a hour depending on traffic) destroyed my back.

Also, heated seats are amazing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Man, my mileage sucks compared to you guys. But then again I drive like a complete rear end in a top hat. I get around 42mpg tank average. Dropping from my 19s that I run during the nice parts of the year to these 15" snows seems to have counteracted the terrible winter fuel we get up here where it's cold. I filled up yesterday at 560 miles and I think it was something like 13.7 gallons which is pretty much the norm.

Yuck, only 40.8 mpg.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can anyone recommend which used VW diesels are decent these days? I've been looking in the 10 year old, $5k to $6k range, Golfs and Jettas. My brother needs a good car for work, and does lots of travelling, but I'm a bit wary of VW's track record with that generation. Also need to point out that he wants an automatic and I don't know if those are any good either. Just need to find out if I should rule them out or not.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

I get around 42mpg tank average.

That's pretty good in all honesty. I've barely cracked 42mpg on a couple of tanks, the rest are usually quite a bit below that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I did an average of 48 MPG cross country, its my best trip tank, I get 40.3 around town.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

fknlo posted:

That's pretty good in all honesty. I've barely cracked 42mpg on a couple of tanks, the rest are usually quite a bit below that.

Yea, mid 40s is the best I've seen on the road trip I've done. I normally see mid 30s since I live in Seattle so traffic is constantly terrible.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Still averaging mid to high 30s. Gotta keep that DPF clog free.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I was seeing mid 30s in nearly exclusively city traffic in my '10 Jetta TDI then they made the switch to winter diesel and my economy just went to poo poo. Whatever I fill up once a month or so.

I've tweaked a 62mpg avg tank out of the car before on the 55mph back roads of SC by taking it easy on the rolling hills.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

I was seeing mid 30s in nearly exclusively city traffic in my '10 Jetta TDI then they made the switch to winter diesel and my economy just went to poo poo. Whatever I fill up once a month or so.

I've tweaked a 62mpg avg tank out of the car before on the 55mph back roads of SC by taking it easy on the rolling hills.

I get 31.1 MPG at worst toiling around Atlanta.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

leica posted:

Can anyone recommend which used VW diesels are decent these days? I've been looking in the 10 year old, $5k to $6k range, Golfs and Jettas. My brother needs a good car for work, and does lots of travelling, but I'm a bit wary of VW's track record with that generation. Also need to point out that he wants an automatic and I don't know if those are any good either. Just need to find out if I should rule them out or not.

The mk4 TDIs are very picky, but as long as maintenance has been done 100% correctly for the life of the vehicle, the engines are very reliable, long-lasting and can return incredible mileage. The auto boxes do not, however, have a good reputation. Besides their reliability issues, they also significantly decrease mileage. I would only consider a manual, and then only if I had meticulous maintenance records on-hand.

Head over to tdiclub.com and familiarize yourself with what these cars require. Correct oil at the correct intervals is a big one, as is the timing belt and all of the system's associated components.

Sits on Pilster fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 15, 2013

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CommieGIR posted:

I get 31.1 MPG at worst toiling around Atlanta.

I was getting 26.8 on this last tank, which was insanely low. Then recently I was out spotted a chevron station near the interstate with a drat good price and fueled up from half tank and now my economy has shot back up. Who knows.

Sits on Pilster posted:

The mk4 TDIs are very picky, but as long as maintenance has been done 100% correctly for the life of the vehicle, the engines are very reliable, long-lasting and can return incredible mileage. The auto boxes do not, however, have a good reputation. Besides their reliability issues, they also significantly decrease mileage. I would only consider a manual, and then only if I had meticulous maintenance records on-hand.

Head over to tdiclub.com and familiarize yourself with what these cars require. Correct oil at the correct intervals is a big one, as is the timing belt and all of the system's associated components.

On this note if you flip through their maintenance records and see a quick oil change place I honestly would consider it a deal-killer in a way I wouldn't with a standard gasoline engine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

On this note if you flip through their maintenance records and see a quick oil change place I honestly would consider it a deal-killer in a way I wouldn't with a standard gasoline engine.

Thirding this. Correct oil is essential to the mk4 and beyond common rail TDIs, and the quick change places can really screw up the motor if they are not putting the right oil in.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

Thirding this. Correct oil is essential to the mk4 and beyond common rail TDIs, and the quick change places can really screw up the motor if they are not putting the right oil in.

poo poo I brought in oil and a filter so the VW Dealership could change my oil when they did the timing belt. I may be an idiot but this engine has been running for the last 200k on this stuff (Rotella T6), I'm sticking with it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

poo poo I brought in oil and a filter so the VW Dealership could change my oil when they did the timing belt. I may be an idiot but this engine has been running for the last 200k on this stuff (Rotella T6), I'm sticking with it.

T6 is more than fine. I run that poo poo in literally everything I own - including sportbikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

T6 is the good poo poo. Rotella is awesome, and is well purposed for a TDI.

You are on the right track, what you have to avoid is bone stock 10w30 and cheap filters (FRAM)

I run T6 5w40 in the winter and 15w40 in the summer.

• Locked thread