Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purpleandgold
Apr 13, 2012
Got my learner's permit in CT at 16. Let it expire when I turned 18, as CT does. Apparently, once you turn 18 in CT, you don't need anything to drive but someone riding shotgun who's over 21 and has had a license for four years. Got my license right after I turned 19, and pretty much was considered an automatic pass for successfully back-parking a minivan. Then it was a three-point turn in a residential area and that was it.

Connecticut is very lenient about passing your road test, which might explain why this state is full of obnoxious drivers. After a while, I just kind of let the asshats pass me and go about their tailgating/90 in a 50 zone/brights on all the drat time. And again: having 4x4 or all-wheel drive does not mean you are invincible and can race through snow. (Says the moron who bought a rear-wheel drive car and then moved back up north.)

Confession: I'm sorry. I'm the jerk with xenon headlights that make it look like my brights are on when they aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

purpleandgold posted:

Confession: I'm sorry. I'm the jerk with xenon headlights that make it look like my brights are on when they aren't.

Apology not accepted - If you re aware of the problem then why not just fix it?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

There's nothing inherently wrong with xenons, as long as they're aimed correctly. Sure, they're more annoying than normal headlights, but they're legal. If yours are aimed incorrectly however you have no excuse, that's generally easy to fix, and even if it isn't you're going to cause an accident some day if you don't get it fixed.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

If yours are aimed incorrectly however you have no excuse, that's generally easy to fix

unless they're installed in reflector housings

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

There's nothing inherently wrong with xenons, as long as they're aimed correctly. Sure, they're more annoying than normal headlights, but they're legal. If yours are aimed incorrectly however you have no excuse, that's generally easy to fix, and even if it isn't you're going to cause an accident some day if you don't get it fixed.

If they 'make it look like my brights are on when they aren't' then either they're mis-aimed or are in inappropriate housings.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Headlight chat... again...

purpleandgold posted:

Got my learner's permit in CT at 16. Let it expire when I turned 18, as CT does. Apparently, once you turn 18 in CT, you don't need anything to drive but someone riding shotgun who's over 21 and has had a license for four years. Got my license right after I turned 19, and pretty much was considered an automatic pass for successfully back-parking a minivan. Then it was a three-point turn in a residential area and that was it.

Connecticut is very lenient about passing your road test, which might explain why this state is full of obnoxious drivers. After a while, I just kind of let the asshats pass me and go about their tailgating/90 in a 50 zone/brights on all the drat time. And again: having 4x4 or all-wheel drive does not mean you are invincible and can race through snow. (Says the moron who bought a rear-wheel drive car and then moved back up north.)

I'm not sure if you are trolling like you were in the old bachelor poo poo thread where you "admitted" to being a disgusting slob, and in various PYF threads where you've claimed to be a rig hand or something or not but fix your headlights. I'll just leave it at that.

I've lost count of the number of tall tales you've told, if they're all true I have no idea what to think of you but if they aren't (which I suspect) you're just looking for attention here by derailing this thread.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

South Australia has a pretty involved licence system now- starts off with a learners permit, which restricts you to driving with a full licensed person supervising and restricts your speeds and driving times, then you have to do formal driver training with an accredited instructor (which is a bitch to get and maintain so it's a very high standard) and pass either a log book of standards or pass an on road test. Then you get onto your P1's, which allow you to drive alone but restricts the hours your allowed to drive with passengers (trying to stop the "P plater smears 4 friends into a tree at high speed at 3am" news articles...). Once you pass another test, you get your P2's and less restrictions and after a set time you get your full licence.

http://www.mylicence.sa.gov.au

It's a good system because it restricts the amount of lovely driving habits parents pass onto their kids and it means most people have at least a basic level of skills to drive a car. Doesn't stop em being arrogant and stupid, but at least they're semi skilled arrogant idiots.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Someone wiped out the DSLAM that services my apartment and a bunch of other poo poo around here with their car. Did a good number on it, the car ended up on top of the box and it looked like the cabling was kind of hosed up too. I don't even know how the hell they did it, the roads weren't slick, it was a single car accident at 4:30pm on a cloudy day :psyduck:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I once found this behind my apartment building:

Now that took a special kind of driver. The woman who owned the car had it back on the road the next day -- there was basically no damage to the vehicle.

Unfortunately, I can't find my picture of the time that a girl managed to stick her SUV on a porch wall six feet up in the air, the SUV literally on top of and balanced on the wall, with a column in front of and behind it. She was drunk and hit a curb, knocked over a street light, vaulted up a small hill through bushes to become airborne, struck the far column and then settled back on top of the wall. It was unreal. Oh, and her parents not only got her off of the DUI charges but managed to convince someone to find the homeowner liable for the damage to the house.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

There's nothing inherently wrong with xenons, as long as they're aimed correctly installed in housings designed around HID bulbs.

Putting rekeyed HID bulbs in non-HID housings is a bigger problem than unaimed factory-installed HIDs. If his lights look like his highbeams are always on I'm leaning towards this being the issue.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Proper housings and proper cutoffs are very important with xenons and most people cheap out on both.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Technically speaking, a lot of headlamp bulbs have xenon gas in them. I assume you mean HIDZ though.

atomicthumbs posted:

unless they're installed in reflector housings

Lots of cars shipped with factory HIDs in reflector housings. :colbert: Acura and Lincoln in particular did this in the early days of HID-equipped models.

(okay fine, the reflectors were designed for the HIDs, but my point still stands)

rscott posted:

Someone wiped out the DSLAM that services my apartment and a bunch of other poo poo around here with their car. Did a good number on it, the car ended up on top of the box and it looked like the cabling was kind of hosed up too. I don't even know how the hell they did it, the roads weren't slick, it was a single car accident at 4:30pm on a cloudy day :psyduck:

When I last worked for an telco/ISP (earlier this year), a car managed to take out pedestal. That pedestal apparently contained a large # of circuits for the entire town. Took out several hundred customers, all of whom were calling to yell at me about their phone line and DSL not working (and ignoring the message stating "if you're calling from Bumfuck Idaho, we are aware of the issue, it should be resolved by <x time>".

I read through some of the field tech notes after I clocked out, but before going home. It was a whole new level of :psypop: - notes bitching about how the pedestal was wired to begin with, why are there 2000 pairs in one pedestal, wiring was hosed to begin with, waiting for gloves due to blood from the car's driver being all over the place...

Kill-9 posted:

I've never had to take it but Terrible's experience is more like what I saw a co-worker go through. He did it at work while doing other stuff on another system. IIRC they did have a way of telling if the web browser window had focus so you couldn't switch apps but that was the grand total of 'security' on it in Texas at the time.

The last time I took online defensive driving, they definitely had a way to tell if you switched focus (the timer would stop, and whatever clip you were watching/listening to would stop). And you could only use IE to take the course at the time :argh: though part of me hopes that they've adapted to Firefox and Chrome by now.

Admittedly, the last time I took it was probably 2004. :unsmith: I kind of wonder if I could get a discount on my insurance from taking it, but I know if I just call them and ask "hey can I get a discount for taking defensive driving?" they'll ask what kind of ticket I got. I haven't had a ticket since 2005, I just want the discount...

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Okay, now that Im on my PC I'll try to write a more comprehensive post about Driver's ED in Finland.

First off, we have had a couple of changes into our licensing system, which have driven costs way up, but when I did it I paid 1700 euros all in all for two phases. First phase is around 20 hours of theory classes and 20 hours of driving. Then you have at least 1 day in skidpan, where you learn how well a car brakes in slippery conditions in curves, straights, how it handles on acceleration etc. Then you get to take a written test and a driving test. I of course passed both on my first try :smug: The general rule for them seem to be to extra cautious and show youre being so. You can make a couple of mistakes and generally you dont get penalized for them if you acknowledge them yourself. For example I failed to signal a couple of times and in my truck driving test I misjudged my speed and almost t-boned another truck but the instructor said that if I hadnt had faster reaction than him in the situation he wouldve failed me. And after that you have your license, though it is a temporary one which is only for two years, during this time but no earlier than having at least three months had the license, you will have to take the second phase.

Second phase, for me, was 1 hour in a simulator for driving in the dark and fuel economy, 2 hour theory, a test on what kind of a driver I was and then an evaluation of my driving based on that test. And one hour in the skidpan again, preferably in your own car. I was the only one in an RWD car without ABS or ESP :smug: When you pass the second phase, thats it, you now have a permanent driver's license. Though I think the current law about them only makes them 15 years only, then you have to renew it.

Funny thing about my first driving lesson was that we went to an empty parking lot to get used to the car. When I got to drive, we went around for a couple of minutes and then the instructor said, welp, I guess you know how to do this and we went into the city traffic immediately. Usually they do that in the second lesson. Thanks dad for teaching me how to drive when I was 15.

And thread content from a pedestrian perspective:
I was walking over a pedestrian crossing, when this new mercedes decided that apparently I was too slow and the guy revved his engine and lurched towards me. He closed in under a meter away and my first instinct was to kick car, instead of jumping away or anything else, wth. Glad I didnt do that, but I really lost my temper and went to the driver side yelling YOU IN A HURRY OR SOMETHING to which he decided that now that no one was in front of him, he sped away. I was so god drat angry at that point.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I punched a car's hood once that almost ran me over in a crosswalk, and the woman driving it started yelling at me about touching her car. Bitch, your car touched the side of my knees first.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My mother was once crossing a crosswalk in an airport loading area, carrying my infant sister, when some dude in an absurdo expensive Mercedes screeched to halt almost touching her and then started honking and shouting. She kicked out both his headlights. That was in France, where apparently that's how these things are handled.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That reminds me of some jerk we share the road with... who got what he deserved:
(If you have been on the internet for a day you have probably seen this video but it is awesome)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnBIPVRrJkQ

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Was checking the Forth Road Bridge bridge wasn't closed because it's windy tonight and I'm off to Edinburgh soon. Found this video on their site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbhOUl9ppy4&t=13s

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

This is the Garden State Parkway after snowing for the better part of the day. Lane markers are completely covered and it was hard to judge where the sides of the road were. Note all the plows off to the left waiting. :argh:

Fortunately, my Impreza's AWD proved it's worth but I still didn't feel comfortable going faster than 45MPH. Though this is all just north of I-195. The weather turned into rain minutes later as I was heading south. Still, I kind of want more snow to drive in.

For all the poo poo people say about NJ drivers, everyone on the road drove reasonable for the weather. There were decent following distances, wide berths that turned the three-lane highway into a two-lane, no speeding beyond 45 MPH, and not suddenly cutting in and out of traffic.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Edward IV posted:

This is the Garden State Parkway after snowing for the better part of the day. Lane markers are completely covered and it was hard to judge where the sides of the road were. Note all the plows off to the left waiting. :argh:

Fortunately, my Impreza's AWD proved it's worth but I still didn't feel comfortable going faster than 45MPH. Though this is all just north of I-195. The weather turned into rain minutes later as I was heading south. Still, I kind of want more snow to drive in.

For all the poo poo people say about NJ drivers, everyone on the road drove reasonable for the weather. There were decent following distances, wide berths that turned the three-lane highway into a two-lane, no speeding beyond 45 MPH, and not suddenly cutting in and out of traffic.

I've always said that when I get tired of driving in the snow and the dark, I'm going to become a plow driver for the state.....

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

I've always said that when I get tired of driving in the snow and the dark, I'm going to become a plow driver for the state.....

You know the worst part about that? It's often not their choosing to be sitting there.

Someone who isn't there and likely has never driven a car before tells them when and where to roll. It makes no sense.

Just like my local municipality plow job last night/this morning. We should have been in at noon yesterday with salt. We would have been done by midnight or so, and the streets would look great. Instead, they called us in at 7 pm MINUS our 6 wheeler for salt. Just 4 pickups (we do side streets and their 6 wheeler is supposed to do the main roads). Nobody salted, their driver did a poo poo job (to his defense it looked like he hadn't slept for a couple days even at midnight.....he was put out there by himself without out us for the previous 18 hours).

I have no clue how/why. Trying to save money? Incompetence? I just don't know. I always try to do a good job, but that is often mitigated by what the guy running my contract has to say about it. In the end, they get what they want because they're the one that authorizes payment.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

To set the scene: last night, 50 mph access road next to a highway. 2 lanes, one way.

Came around a curve at speed, saw something dark in my laOHHOLYFUCK WHY DID SOMEONE ABANDON A BLACK CAR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD WITH NO LIGHTS OR FLASHERS

My next trip down that road found the same car still there, but with 2 police vehicles behind it (one just before the curve, one after the bend, lights on). Third trip down that road had the cops still there, with someone putting gas in it with a gas can and a very pissed off cop ripping the guy a new rear end in a top hat (I assume for leaving a black car in the middle of a busy, poorly lit road, with no flashers, and no attempt to even coast onto the curb).

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

some texas redneck posted:

To set the scene: last night, 50 mph access road next to a highway. 2 lanes, one way.

Came around a curve at speed, saw something dark in my laOHHOLYFUCK WHY DID SOMEONE ABANDON A BLACK CAR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD WITH NO LIGHTS OR FLASHERS

My next trip down that road found the same car still there, but with 2 police vehicles behind it (one just before the curve, one after the bend, lights on). Third trip down that road had the cops still there, with someone putting gas in it with a gas can and a very pissed off cop ripping the guy a new rear end in a top hat (I assume for leaving a black car in the middle of a busy, poorly lit road, with no flashers, and no attempt to even coast onto the curb).

This same type of poo poo happens in front of my apartment complex every couple months. It's at the crest of a long hill, they stall or break down just past the crest(to where you can't see it) and roll to a stop in between the driveways to the complex office and just leave the car there. It's all of 40 feet between these driveways, and a QT is about 100 feet from that. I don't know why coasting into the office driveway is such a herculean task. Funny enough it's almost never a beater, they've mostly been things like Cadillacs, Mercedes, Land Rover, etc.

And then there's the assholes who unload cars off their transports for the dealership at the bottom of the hill during rush hour and block off a lane for an hour or more doing so. It's a massive AutoNation lot and they have gobs of open pavement there, why the gently caress is the middle of a public road at the busiest time of the day the most appropriate place to unload? Hell half the time they don't even put up cones or flares or anything, just stop the truck about 50 feet past the driveway and roll the fuckers out backwards in neutral. I'm pretty sympathetic to truckers in general but gently caress the ones who are doing this so hard.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Motronic posted:

Just like my local municipality plow job last night/this morning. We should have been in at noon yesterday with salt. We would have been done by midnight or so, and the streets would look great. Instead, they called us in at 7 pm MINUS our 6 wheeler for salt. Just 4 pickups (we do side streets and their 6 wheeler is supposed to do the main roads). Nobody salted, their driver did a poo poo job (to his defense it looked like he hadn't slept for a couple days even at midnight.....he was put out there by himself without out us for the previous 18 hours).

I was attempting to escape London Ontario yesterday and watched a plow, blade up, dumping sand on top of 3-4 inches of snow on the road. I thought the plow driver retarded until my father told me this is something he's seeing all the time now. What the gently caress do they hope to accomplish with turning 3 inches of snow into 3 inches of sandy snow?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kilersquirrel posted:

And then there's the assholes who unload cars off their transports for the dealership at the bottom of the hill during rush hour and block off a lane for an hour or more doing so. It's a massive AutoNation lot and they have gobs of open pavement there, why the gently caress is the middle of a public road at the busiest time of the day the most appropriate place to unload? Hell half the time they don't even put up cones or flares or anything, just stop the truck about 50 feet past the driveway and roll the fuckers out backwards in neutral. I'm pretty sympathetic to truckers in general but gently caress the ones who are doing this so hard.
There's a "dealership" near me (really, it seems to deal in movie cars, but I'm not sure if they're actually selling them or just shuffling them and displaying them) that frequently has trucks parked in the turn lane in the middle of the street to do this. During the day, it's just an annoyance, but the other night, I'm driving home, and happen to click over to my high beams as I'm coming up on the truck (which was quite visible). The driver standing in my lane, wearing dark clothing, was not at ALL visible, and frankly, he's extraordinarily lucky that I did that.

Normally I consider my actions as purposeful when driving, but I don't know why I flipped the highs on. I just happened to at JUST the right moment in time to have JUST enough time to swerve around him and not kill him.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Welp, just read on the news that my neighbor hit and killed a guy last night. The guy he hit was crossing against a green light in a wheelchair, and both parties were elderly males. The wheelchair had no business being in the crosswalk against the green, but who knows, he might have been gotten stuck in the snow at the curb cut or something. Meanwhile, I've seen my neighbor's car repaired twice in the past 6 months from the fender benders he's gotten into, and it's almost ironic that he's had a little guy in a wheelchair decorating his rearview mirror.

It's a tragedy all around, neither of these gentlemen set out last night with the intention getting into a terrible accident. I haven't really been anticipating the upcoming future of driverless cars, but as the boomer generation blossoms into infirmity and stupid poo poo like this happens more and more, I'm starting to feel like it can't come soon enough.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 16, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm doing 80 on I-10, minimal traffic at 06:00, and I get passed by a black Acura SUV doing at least 90. He merges back in front of me with about 10ft of clearance, prompting me to brake out of cruise, and the fucker's got no taillamps lit. Luckily we get off at the same exit, and I fly down the off-ramp (practically mandatory in a Miata :v:), catch them at the light, honk at them and signal with my hand that they've got no lights. They quickly turn them on and wave sheepishly. Looked like an older couple just heading into town.

DRLs and constantly illuminated instruments are retarded.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 16, 2013

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I flashed a guy with no taillights last night and he actually turned them on. Then waved thanks as I passed him. That never happens.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

NoWake posted:

I haven't really been anticipating the upcoming future of driverless cars, but as the boomer generation blossoms into infirmity and stupid poo poo like this happens more and more, I'm starting to feel like it can't come soon enough.

Provided there is always an option to disable the autopilot and go back into manual mode, I can't wait for them. Nobody's got the balls to tell the elderly "no" to anything, and watching the girlfriend's grandfather go from increasingly frequent near misses and fender-benders, to actual accidents, and finally nearly running his wife over(as in inches between tire and head or torso) twice in a month before he finally accepted that(at 93 without the ability to perceive more than low rumbles for sound, see past about 30 feet, react in less than a few seconds, or even take more than 2 steps without requiring a walker to stay upright) he was unfit for driving a hu-loving-mongous Lincoln around narrow-rear end city streets, and was basically a preview for the entire boomer generation over the next 10 years.

I will be trying my hardest to live in the youngest parts of whatever town I'm in as a result. I'd rather handle predictably-retarded teenager/20-something speeding/hooning shenanigans than deal with hordes of people who are losing the mental ability to tell the gas from the brake without having to sit and think about it, and are becoming physically incapable of reacting to the world around them in anything resembling a timely manner to drive within the range of what's considered "safe."

I already know I'm going to have to deal with the same type of poo poo when my mom gets old and it is going to be war of the loving worlds when my sister and I have to tell her "hell no you can't drive anymore" and take those keys away. My dad not so much thankfully.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe it makes me an rear end in a top hat, but I hope the accidents get frequent enough that it generates some press and gets some laws passed. I don't know if a hard cutoff for losing your license at age X is appropriate, but annual exams of some sort are definitely in order.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Passed a Grand Cherokee Friday night around 10:30 with a plow on the front covering his headlights and the lights on the plow off. It really takes a special kind of stupid to drive in the dark with no lights.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shrapnac posted:

Passed a Grand Cherokee Friday night around 10:30 with a plow on the front covering his headlights and the lights on the plow off. It really takes a special kind of stupid to drive in the dark with no lights.

That's worse than no lights. Your headlights are shining on the back of the plow blowing out your vision. This is where Western plows (red) are better than Myers (yellow) :)

Somebody....Myers I think....made a plow with a clear top and metal blade, supposedly so you can use your regular headlights. I saw this back in the early 90s. I've never seen one again, for what I would consider obvious reasons.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

8ender posted:

I flashed a guy with no taillights last night and he actually turned them on. Then waved thanks as I passed him. That never happens.

Nevermind. I saw a PT Cruiser this morning with the temporary spare tire on, doing 120km/h in a snow covered left lane. Everything is back to normal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Okay it's a loaner car so I'll accept that maybe you couldn't find the defroster button, BMW cars get a few more buttons than econoboxes. But you couldn't locate the rear wiper either? Or failing all that, you couldn't use your hand to brush off the thin layer of powder?

C'mon man!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Kilersquirrel posted:

I already know I'm going to have to deal with the same type of poo poo when my mom gets old and it is going to be war of the loving worlds when my sister and I have to tell her "hell no you can't drive anymore" and take those keys away. My dad not so much thankfully.

This is going to be me with my dad. Except I am going to probably have to take away his motorcycle sooner than his truck. I am hoping he will just get so many speeding tickets that they take his license away when he gets to old. Thankfully he doesn't get in accidents.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Geirskogul posted:

I punched a car's hood once that almost ran me over in a crosswalk, and the woman driving it started yelling at me about touching her car. Bitch, your car touched the side of my knees first.

I love it when I'm walking through parking lots and someone decides that they can't wait for me and the family to finish crossing the crosswalk and cuts us off. My wife knows exactly what's about to happen and plays along. As their rear quarter passes me I slap/punch it pretty hard and yell "You hit me, you rear end in a top hat! I was in the crosswalk!" My wife yells right along.

I've never had someone stop to check. Me or their car. I'm surprised they don't check their car as I usually hit it pretty drat hard. I just get a sheepish head hang in the rearview and they drive off. We all know who was wrong.

Weird thing is it's usually in the rain. What is it about rain that makes drivers more apt to cut off pedestrians in a crosswalk? I'm the one out in the rain getting wet, why the gently caress do you have to be in such a hurry and make me wait for you?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Does anyone here watch Canada's Worst Driver? I've been enjoying this season where they've brought back some of the "winners" from previous seasons so it's really a worst of the worst scenario. I watch on youtube since I'm not Canadian but I just can't fathom how bad these people are. I wish the state could step in so that the loser actually lost their license. Or just have some patrol cars wait outside the facility to tail them home and catch their first mistake. It's a fun show but there needs to be more schadenfreude.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

davebo posted:

Does anyone here watch Canada's Worst Driver? I've been enjoying this season where they've brought back some of the "winners" from previous seasons so it's really a worst of the worst scenario. I watch on youtube since I'm not Canadian but I just can't fathom how bad these people are. I wish the state could step in so that the loser actually lost their license. Or just have some patrol cars wait outside the facility to tail them home and catch their first mistake. It's a fun show but there needs to be more schadenfreude.

It's brutal. The final episode airs tonight, but I don't know how they can top last week's running away from the event, breaking into your own motherfucking home and slashing your hand tendons wide open.

Then again, they are going to be driving on city streets this time and the drivers have gotten pulled over and ticketed for infractions before.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I know I drive a small white car and everything but god drat someone in a Juke tried to merge into my lane (far left lane on a 60mph expressway so about 65-70mph) when their B pillar was about even with the front of my car. For about a quarter second I was tempted to let them just hit me but going at that speed in a car w/o airbags could actually really hurt me. I don't know if I was just in one of their massive blind spots or what.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Kill-9 posted:

I love it when I'm walking through parking lots and someone decides that they can't wait for me and the family to finish crossing the crosswalk and cuts us off.

Here in FL, it's quite illegal and cops will stake out places just to bust people doing this.

My favorite was when I took my nearly deaf and half-blind dad to a convention in Miami. We were walking across the giant pedestrian crossing area right in front of the convention center when a car gets the jump to cross before us while we're standing in the middle of the road. I had to physically grab dad before he got hit by the car. I stared the driver down the whole time. The car behind us patiently waited, waved us across, then peeled out as he simultaneously hit the blue lights and set the siren on the irritating GETOUTTAMYWAY speed and pulled the guy over. Yay for unmarked cars! I'm fairly certain the dude did NOT talk his way out of that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those are literally the best days to be in traffic, when you get to witness a cop burning someone for doing something dumb. All those years of gritting your teeth and clenching the wheel (or posting in this thread) finally results in a pay day.