Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Acura has basically made an affordable version of the hybrid system in the new super Porsche, and it will serve to spread out the development of the hotter version in the new NSX. Bland looks and interior gimmicks aside, this is a pretty cool car and a sign that the NSX is for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PeterWeller posted:

Acura has basically made an affordable version of the hybrid system in the new super Porsche, and it will serve to spread out the development of the hotter version in the new NSX. Bland looks and interior gimmicks aside, this is a pretty cool car and a sign that the NSX is for real.

Affordable? I guess relatively.

The standard FWD RLX costs $50k base. Optioned up it hits the $60k mark. Yeah nobody buys them so probably real life price is lower, but still, $50k? And guaranteed all this fancy AWD stuff is goign to cost more that that.

For the price of the optioned FWD version you could already buy a trimmed-out 5-series or maybe even a CTS-V.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, relative to the nearly million dollar price of that Porsche, 60K is pretty drat affordable.

On top of the tech appeal, it gets pretty great gas mileage for its class. Too bad it is so boring looking.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, relative to the nearly million dollar price of that Porsche, 60K is pretty drat affordable.

On top of the tech appeal, it gets pretty great gas mileage for its class. Too bad it is so boring looking.

Has there actually been a price announced? $50-60k is for the FWD version.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
In the review they(Acura) do compare it favourably to poo poo like the BMW Activehybrid 5, M35h and other bizzaro cars that I had no idea even existed, so price would be somewhere around there?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Has there actually been a price announced? $50-60k is for the FWD version.

Nah, I just took a guess. They are positioning it against cars in the 60-70K range, so I low balled it a bit. But still, it's some trick hardware in a car you'll actually see on the road. Whether or not you notice it is a different question.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, I just took a guess. They are positioning it against cars in the 60-70K range, so I low balled it a bit. But still, it's some trick hardware in a car you'll actually see on the road. Whether or not you notice it is a different question.

The driving impressions said there was wheel hop and torque steer on take-off.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Honestly, I find current Acuras to be one of the most boring looking cars but I would take this:

over this sperm whale looking tank:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
People apparently buy the big Lexus LS hybrid and that makes less sense at twice the price

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PeterWeller posted:

Except overpriced FWD base model + new trick hardware to me spells higher than expected price. I'd bank on $60-70k+ depending on options.

Snowdens Secret posted:

People apparently buy the big Lexus LS hybrid and that makes less sense at twice the price

Yeah but it's a Lexus. The top of the Lexus. Acura just doesn't have that sort of cachet.

travisray2004 posted:

Honestly, I find current Acuras to be one of the most boring looking cars but I would take this:

over this sperm whale looking tank:

vs.
(maybe even with a V8 depending on pricing)
or
(in eventual V variant with another giant V8)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The front 3/4 is the Acura's best angle to be honest, it's no worse looking than the Audi to me. It's the weird blob rear end is another matter.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I had to check and was surprised at how well the LS actually sells, for a car that's basically 8 years old with less horsepower than a Mustang GT. The LS600h has to be the most uncompelling 6 figure car on the market though, for $30k over the regular model you get about 40 extra HP and that's...it? What does it do that the regular version doesn't? Even the fuel economy isn't particularly better.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

SouthLAnd posted:

I think the engine is the only standout of the current car, and I hope they put that big V6 in the new one. The current 200 is still just a heavily refreshed Sebring and that car was poo poo the second it rolled off the line.

So far the only confirmed engines are the 2.4 Tigershark and the 3.2 V6. I'm holding out hope they're saving the 3.6 for an SRT-6 version.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
A 3.6l in a 200 would make it about as fast as what, a V6 Nissan Altima? I'd rather they reserve the SRT moniker for something a bit more special than that. Very hopped up midsize FWD sedans seem like a losing proposition anyway, no one else is doing it and even Subaru has stopped doing turbo Legacys.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Well, one would assume if they were to do an SRT-6 you'd be looking at a more aggressive state of tune than the 283 hp in the current 200. I wasn't suggesting dropping it in as-is for an SRT.

That said, honestly, the most important part of a hypothetical SRT-6 model would be looking suitably cool and bad rear end to get the 200 on people's radars. You're probably never going to sell the 200 to somebody looking at a V6 Camry, no matter how badly you want to. But you can sell it to someone who bought a Durango, a Ram or a Caravan. You can sell it to someone that's looking at a Malibu.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Throatwarbler posted:

I had to check and was surprised at how well the LS actually sells, for a car that's basically 8 years old with less horsepower than a Mustang GT. The LS600h has to be the most uncompelling 6 figure car on the market though, for $30k over the regular model you get about 40 extra HP and that's...it? What does it do that the regular version doesn't? Even the fuel economy isn't particularly better.

I wanted to say you had to go 600h to get that ridiculous reclining/massaging back seat, but apparently you don't, so I'm really not sure. Mortal logic doesn't really work when you're talking $100k+ cars anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It lets you park in those nice hybrid parking spots up front and also drive in HOV lanes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The front 3/4 is the Acura's best angle to be honest, it's no worse looking than the Audi to me. It's the weird blob rear end is another matter.

Think about the kind of people that have 6 figures to buy a car with, and still decide to buy a Lexus. They get to lord it up over all their friends at the country club, while still having that cognitive dissonance that comes with owning a hybrid with terrible gas mileage. "Sure, I just foreclosed on some poor schmuck's house on Christmas. But I drive a hybrid, so I'm a good person!" :downs:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

KillHour posted:

Think about the kind of people that have 6 figures to buy a car with, and still decide to buy a Lexus.
:psypop:

my brain broke there

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KillHour posted:

Think about the kind of people that have 6 figures to buy a car with, and still decide to buy a Lexus. They get to lord it up over all their friends at the country club, while still having that cognitive dissonance that comes with owning a hybrid with terrible gas mileage. "Sure, I just foreclosed on some poor schmuck's house on Christmas. But I drive a hybrid, so I'm a good person!" :downs:

The Lexus hybrids get comparative good fuel economy though - they're really not far off a big diesel A8 and are certainly more pleasant to be driven around in.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KillHour posted:

Think about the kind of people that have 6 figures to buy a car with, and still decide to buy a Lexus.

The ultimate blanding machine.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Goober Peas posted:

The ultimate blanding machine.

"Will it bland?" Add argyle socks. loving money-havers. :argh:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
IDK once your bentley has its window mounting fail for the 3rd time, or the air conditioner only blows hot air in your SL you might just say gently caress it and go get a loaded LS and call it a day.

I mean, you're just sitting in traffic with the loving thing anyway.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

IDK once your bentley has its window mounting fail for the 3rd time, or the air conditioner only blows hot air in your SL you might just say gently caress it and go get a loaded LS and call it a day.

I mean, you're just sitting in traffic with the loving thing anyway.

That all happens long after the lease period ends and you've already got the new one with heated and cooled LED voice activated touchscreen dildos or whatever it is insufferable twats talk about on the golf course.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I don't know that much about Lexus other than the fact that their cars look like bland poo poo now and are still insanely expensive for what they offer, but I've literally seen older lexuses that look identical to toyotas except rebadged(I know Toyota owns Lexus) and if that isn't enough reason to never buy one then I don't know what it is.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

I don't know that much about Lexus other than the fact that their cars look like bland poo poo now and are still insanely expensive for what they offer, but I've literally seen older lexuses that look identical to toyotas except rebadged(I know Toyota owns Lexus) and if that isn't enough reason to never buy one then I don't know what it is.

The first few generations of the LS were glorious though. I'd love to have a 430.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

In the same way Acuras are just Hondas and Infinities just Nissans (in all cases what badge they got was dependent on market).

Not sure I get why the badge the car wears in another market matters though.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

dissss posted:

In the same way Acuras are just Hondas and Infinities just Nissans (in all cases what badge they got was dependent on market).

Not sure I get why the badge the car wears in another market matters though.

Because luxury brand purchases are about the cachet, not the product.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wheeee posted:

Because luxury brand purchases are about the cachet, not the product.

Audis are just rebadged Volkswagens. :smug:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Bob NewSCART posted:

They're RWD Toyotas with all the bells and whistles that last generation's Benz had. Being wealthy doesn't necessarily stop you from just wanting a reliable and comfortable appliance, it just makes you able to afford a nicer appliance.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PeterWeller posted:

They're RWD Toyotas with all the bells and whistles that last generation's Benz had. Being wealthy doesn't necessarily stop you from just wanting a reliable and comfortable appliance, it just makes you able to afford a nicer appliance.

If you're doing a short-term lease, why would you pick a Lexus over a Benz or an Audi or something like that? No matter what Lexus you're looking at, the Benz looks better, drives better, is around the same price, and you won't have to deal with any out-of-warranty repairs anyway. Unless you're counting blandness as a positive thing for some reason. There's no reason appliances can't look beautiful and be reliable and functional, especially when you're looking at the high end of the market.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

PT6A posted:

If you're doing a short-term lease, why would you pick a Lexus over a Benz or an Audi or something like that? No matter what Lexus you're looking at, the Benz looks better, drives better, is around the same price, and you won't have to deal with any out-of-warranty repairs anyway. Unless you're counting blandness as a positive thing for some reason. There's no reason appliances can't look beautiful and be reliable and functional, especially when you're looking at the high end of the market.

Man, I don't really know. Because you're boring and don't give a poo poo is what I'd expect, or you don't want to stand out. The latter was the point of Buick back when: all the luxury of a Cadillac with none of the ostentatiousness.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Call me crazy, but I expect a Lexus to last a hell of a lot longer than a Merc.

EDIT: Didn't notice that this was short term discussion. WOOPSEE.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Bentleys are just rebadged Volkswagens. :smug:

FTFY.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PeterWeller posted:

Man, I don't really know. Because you're boring and don't give a poo poo is what I'd expect, or you don't want to stand out. The latter was the point of Buick back when: all the luxury of a Cadillac with none of the ostentatiousness.

The only people I know who want to blend in (and do so by driving boring-as-poo poo cars or minivans) are habitual drunk drivers.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PT6A posted:

Why are you doing a short term lease though? Probably the majority of German luxury car buyers are only doing short term leases, maybe lexus owners buy theirs and keep them longer? Also don't discount oldness. You (assuming you're under 60) or I might rather have a merc or a BMW, but maybe when your bones creak and you ache everywhere (OK this actually does sound like me some days), the lexus coddles you in ways we just can't appreciate.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Do we have lease numbers on ze Germans and Lexii? I would guess that more Lexus owners buy and hang on to cars because they're into ownership, and that they are an older demographic.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Linedance posted:

Why are you doing a short term lease though? Probably the majority of German luxury car buyers are only doing short term leases, maybe lexus owners buy theirs and keep them longer? Also don't discount oldness. You (assuming you're under 60) or I might rather have a merc or a BMW, but maybe when your bones creak and you ache everywhere (OK this actually does sound like me some days), the lexus coddles you in ways we just can't appreciate.

I wouldn't really put BMW in the same category as MB in terms of luxury and comfort. My mum drives an S-Class, and I can't imagine anything feeling too much more coddled than that (yet it doesn't feel like driving a couch). I mean, the seats massage you if you want.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

An S class doesn't drive any better than and LS though.

Really I don't see why anyone would buy an LS/S/7 to drive themselves though - the slightly smaller models are just so much nicer if you're the one behind the wheel.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I know this is anecdotal and so far from the norm its not even funny but I met an actual *b*illionaire once and while he had all sorts of exotics and investment vehicles, his loving daily driver was an early '90s Bronco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

3 in 10 millionaires drive F-150s.

Not everybody is trying to hit the apex of every corner.