Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You can already make one of these out of an ordinary toaster oven. Just go buy a cheap one (~$20), set it up on your bathroom counter, stick your towel of choice inside, and then take a shower.

Just buy a toaster and take it with you into the bath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Double Muhammad posted:

I use my phone a bunch and pray to Allah that one of these days we're gonna get hit with an update that adds another button to the keyboard. It functions like the backspace key but instead deletes forward. This new forwardspace key will erase the frustration that arises from being one letter off with the cursor when erasing a word.

Like the DEL key on a full-size computer keyboard?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
An alphabetized keyboard.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Better yet, let's just keyboard-tize the alphabet already. Every kindergartner should learn their QWERTYs instead of their ABCs. :colbert:

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Grei Skuring posted:

A goddamned grapple-gun. SNAP OUT OF IT, science. It's about time.

Sorry dude, Mythbusters already had a crack on this, twice. In the first episode, Jamie created some sort of compressed air shooter that fired the 4-hook grapple that we all know and it worked fine as long as it found a ledge or concrete salient to find purchase. This is not how Batman uses it and it didn't include an integrated winch. The second time around, Jamie designed a miniature winch and Adam went for the grapple-gun. Adam tried to make a grapple-spike that was fired with a .22 blank cartridge which meant the spike couldn't penetrate the outer concrete that most buildings have, the spike wouldn't support his weight in most cases. The mini-winch created by Jamie did actually work. Only they had to use a crane to get him down because the winch wasn't reversible. The biggest problem is that like a bullet, any mechanical or chemical means to propel the grapple is going to create recoil, so a powerful enough grapple to puncture heavy concrete is not likely to be safe to use, not to mention the noise factor which negates stealth.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

A white noise machine in public bathrooms that covers up the sound of deuce-dropping, for the publicly-shy. Also, would eliminate the need to knock.

I would include a cellphone jammer so assholes can't talk while I'm on the next stall holding it in until shut their stupid mouths and pee/crap in goddamn silence as the solemnity of the bathroom demands! Are these savages not taught that talking is a no, no inside the bathroom. Eyes should go to the floor in humility. No checking out the guy next to you in the urinals either. Trying to chat up someone who you have never, ever spoken before in the bathroom is just rude. In fact, instead of the a noise machine, just hire a burly, scowling, bald dude like Vin Diesel to stand in the bathroom to enforce the Crapper Gentleman's Code.

ITT: I had an idea for an app that would take a shopping list and find the cheapest store to buy them at based on your location. I was enthused and was considering contacting a programmer friend when I realized that the success of the application would depend on supermarkets and local grocery stores to have some database that they would share so that the app could read from. I then remember that supermarkets in my country are a loving lobby and are responsible for our exorbitant food prices and would never, ever collaborate.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Minarch posted:

Better yet, let's just keyboard-tize the alphabet already. Every kindergartner should learn their QWERTYs instead of their ABCs. :colbert:

Which is just the same problem in reverse. QWERTY was designed explicitly to slow down typists so they wouldn't jam typewriters as often. As QWERTY celebrates its 140th anniversary, it's the only way most of us know how to type, it's completely reverse-intuitive, and would literally take years to re-teach people how to type should a new method come into play, and most would be resistant anyways. DVORAK was only sixty years later, and barely anyone even accepted it as a thing by that point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TerryLennox posted:

The biggest problem is that like a bullet, any mechanical or chemical means to propel the grapple is going to create recoil, so a powerful enough grapple to puncture heavy concrete is not likely to be safe to use, not to mention the noise factor which negates stealth.

I could see something like a gyrojet system working, since it could drag the acceleration out over a longer time, but then you have to deal with making sure the cable isn't compromised by the rocket exhaust. And the really, really loud sound you make when you crack concrete.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Mr. Pumroy posted:

You know how suspension bridges allow for larger construction than conventional bridges? Suspension buildings.

Just catching up on the thread!

We have one up here in Vancouver BC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qube_(building)

As for my idea: professional in-home ikea furniture assembler! No more swearing and throwing hex wrenches at the wife/cat/whatever you like to take out your frustrations on.

shipwrek has a new favorite as of 07:58 on Oct 28, 2013

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

shipwrek posted:

As for my idea: professional in-home ikea furniture assembler! No more swearing and throwing hex wrenches at the wife/cat/whatever you like to take out your frustrations on.

My local IKEA offers an assembly service but really, if you're not competent to hack together some flat-pack furniture why not just buy real pre-assembled furniture and cut out the middleman?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
A circular Etch-a-Sketch that works on polar coordinates instead of rectangular.

Poutine, except with turkey stuffing instead of french fries.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Poutine, except with turkey stuffing instead of french fries.

That's close to an actual thing from Newfoundland called 'fries, dressing and gravy' (imaginative name, no?). It's fries topped with newfoundland turkey stuffing and gravy. There's a chain called Mary Brown's that makes it.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
okay so how about like, a bunch of little tiny GPS dealies that are sticky on one end. and you stick them to things that you lose a lot like keys or your wallet. then when you lose them, you have a thing like tells you where they are and like beeps and poo poo when its near one.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Chexoid posted:

okay so how about like, a bunch of little tiny GPS dealies that are sticky on one end. and you stick them to things that you lose a lot like keys or your wallet. then when you lose them, you have a thing like tells you where they are and like beeps and poo poo when its near one.
Those are already on the market.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

A training service that teaches dogs how to drive so they can be little chauffeurs

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

isnt that right posted:

A training service that teaches dogs how to drive so they can be little chauffeurs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWAK0J8Uhzk
They're on the way.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

A circular Etch-a-Sketch that works on polar coordinates instead of rectangular.

That makes me think of the Hasbro "Skedoodle" from the '80s, which had a joystick, a set of stencil-like things for the joystick to move around in, and a rotating screen like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic1rbFGhJ8g

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
A companion guide to "The Office" (U.S. Series) that gives play-by-play evidence of the fact that the show is actually a cautionary tale. Here, we have Jim Halpert, a healthy and intelligent man in the prime of his life, who fears stagnation and a life sentence in corporate limbo; here we have Jim Halpert 6 years later, married to the receptionist and with child on the way. Here was have Jim Halpert after 9 years: He and his wife are prepared to die at their desks like Japanese soldiers in remote island bunkers during WW2. Here we have Jim Halpert looking at the camera, eyes wide. Here we have Jim Halpert, middle-aged and world weary. He has climbed the corporate ladder at a glacial pace, and been subjected to untold managerial incompetence. I imagine the series finale being him killing himself on his lunch break. It is a tragedy.

"The Office".

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa
3D printer with red hot steel instead of plastic.

Rad proof train rides for tourists through Chernobyl.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A companion guide to "The Office" (U.S. Series) that gives play-by-play evidence of the fact that the show is actually a cautionary tale. Here, we have Jim Halpert, a healthy and intelligent man in the prime of his life, who fears stagnation and a life sentence in corporate limbo; here we have Jim Halpert 6 years later, married to the receptionist and with child on the way. Here was have Jim Halpert after 9 years: He and his wife are prepared to die at their desks like Japanese soldiers in remote island bunkers during WW2. Here we have Jim Halpert looking at the camera, eyes wide. Here we have Jim Halpert, middle-aged and world weary. He has climbed the corporate ladder at a glacial pace, and been subjected to untold managerial incompetence. I imagine the series finale being him killing himself on his lunch break. It is a tragedy.

"The Office".

Series is already over.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Crocuta posted:

Rad proof train rides for tourists through Chernobyl.

They already offer tours of the surrounding area.

Do you mean actually through the burnt out husk of a plant? That's...considerably trickier. Sure, you can make the inside of the train car "rad proof," (maybe...I've heard reports that parts of the core are still so hot they're melting the earth/concrete around them, probably best to avoid that part of the plant,) but the outside will be getting bombarded like mad.

So then you've got to wash it down after it comes back but before it gets to the load/drop off zone, and so then you've got gallons and gallons of irradiated water and cleaning solution you've got to dispose of properly.

Chexoid posted:

As said, things like this exist, and I don't think they're that great. The problem is that they need to be powered. Invariably, you'll only lose your keys or wallet after the battery that came with it died, and you were too stupid to ever replace it. And they aren't cheap, since it's not like a passive RF tag. Like...$20-$30 for the cheap ones that will never be useful unless you're close enough to see your drat keys anyway, and over $50 for a "good" one that has a moderate range.

And they aren't actual GPS, just some proximity RF signals, like a remote car unlock. Actual GPS dongles are bigger, and go through batteries faster (they have to be "always on," since the whole idea is that if you lost your keys, you wouldn't have been in a position to remember to turn the locator on beforehand,) and even more expensive. It's really not practical for keys. The closest things I found were little ones you could put on your dog or kids to find them if they get lost, and they advertise as having GREAT battery life with a standby time of...five days. And they were almost $100, and I think you have to pay a monthly fee for that companies "locator" service.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Load up a quadrotor with some software so it will automatically follow you around, and then pipe its video feed into an Oculus Rift.

Bam, real-life third person view.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Load up a quadrotor with some software so it will automatically follow you around, and then pipe its video feed into an Oculus Rift.

Bam, real-life third person view.

:stare: Holy poo poo this needs to happen

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
They tried something similar to that with 3rd person driving, actually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIRUavithF8

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa
Double-barreled pistol with two triggers regular gun/taser.

Restaurant where you bring your own food and the chefs cook it.

DrBouvenstein posted:

They already offer tours of the surrounding area.

Do you mean actually through the burnt out husk of a plant?
I did not know that, but I was thinking tours through the surrounding area, the ghost town of Pripjat is fairly well-known.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

There's lots of bars and grills with the you bring it we cook it policy. Though I think it's strictly regulated to meat.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
There was a chip shop in my hometown that would batter and deep-fry anything you brought in. There's a tradition of deep-frying other fast food here in Scotland, like deep-fried pizza, deep-fried sausage and the deep-fried Mars bar. I think it was supposed to be so you could have whatever fried snack you wanted, so if you didn't fancy a deep-fried Mars bar, you could buy a Snickers or something, take it in and they'd fry it for you, and they'd make money on selling you a can of ginger or a poke of chips at the same time.

I never got the chance to take anything in myself, because once someone brought a David Hasselhoff CD and they battered and deep-fried it, good as their word, and closed shortly after.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

A new feature for Netflix Instant that randomly plays items from your list. Sort of like a "shuffle" feature, except for all of your movies and TV shows.

Even better, a "genius"-style feature that automatically plays similar things from your list based off of whatever you choose to view first.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A new feature for Netflix Instant that randomly plays items from your list. Sort of like a "shuffle" feature, except for all of your movies and TV shows.

Even better, a "genius"-style feature that automatically plays similar things from your list based off of whatever you choose to view first.

Oh son of a bitch.

For a moment I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize which thread I was in and was about to go excitedly talk to my girlfriend about this feature.

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa
Screening of silent films with live foley artists (making sound effects) as well as orchestra.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Crocuta posted:

Screening of silent films with live foley artists (making sound effects) as well as orchestra.

I would pay to see a silent movie with the soundtrack being done by one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF4BWllUEO0

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
A Home Alone Sequel involving zombies.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Baby ninja gear. Padded, baby sized nunchuks, baby sized shinobi shozokus, grappling hooks designed to escape cribs and play pens, rice cereal caltrops.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

A container about the size of a breadbox that you can program to turn on at a specific time, like just before your work alarm goes off. The boxes function? Warms socks and underwear for you.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
You can do that already by just remembering to put your pants on the radiator the night before. Radiator pants are a real treat.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"Hey bud, got a light?"
"Hey man, don't need a light." Drags cigarette tip against his stubble and the tip bursts into flames.
"WHOOOOOA."
Self-lighting cigarettes.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

A video game like Amnesia where there's a sanity mechanic, but it's hooked to a Kinect or something and the sanity of your character is based on how freaked out you are irl.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
There should be an action movie where a gorilla watches his whole family get murdered by poachers and then when he is an adult he takes vengeance on the poachers when they return to his part of the jungle. It would be part Batman part First-blood because the gorilla is sneaky as gently caress and the jungle is his natural habitat, but don't forget that he is a gorilla so he can literally rip dudes in half and poo poo like that.

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
Vertically oriented egg cartons so you can actually fit them in the drat grocery bag

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I want a microwave that will push a notification to my phone when it's finished cooking whatever garbage I put in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Whatever that site or app for gays looking for no-strings hook-ups was. For straights, too.

• Locked thread