Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
It's been a long time since rope kid talked about Delta Green. At least, WW2 setting with some Cthulhu elements is not patented, hopefully?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I will only accept a gritty re-examination of power rangers a la KOTOR 2. The protagonist is either Bulk or Skull.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'd be up for a Russian Civil War setting with Cthulhu elements.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hannibal Rex posted:

Sure.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Sea Otter posted:

It's been a long time since rope kid talked about Delta Green. At least, WW2 setting with some Cthulhu elements is not patented, hopefully?

Nothing Lovecraft is copyright. A certain dick claimed he had the copyright for decades, then it turned out he didn't and by that time the copyright had run out. Now it's public domain. You can do all your lovecrafting you want for free - and charge for the product.

A specific setting based on Lovecraft's stuff might be patented, but as long as you don't specifically make your own setting the same one, even if it has the same elements, you're fine.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 15, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

DatonKallandor posted:

Nothing Lovecraft is copyright. A certain dick claimed he had the copyright for decades, then it turned out he didn't and by that time the copyright had run out. Now it's public domain. You can do all your lovecrafting you want for free - and charge for the product.

A specific setting based on Lovecraft's stuff might be patented, but as long as you don't specifically make your own setting the same one, even if it has the same elements, you're fine.

Copyright is not patent is not trademark. Please don't use the terms interchangeably, as they mean very different things.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm pretty sure "Call of Cthulhu" is a trademark, right? Even if Lovecraft's works are public domain, there are still some legal shenanigans going on somewhere.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I was just watching the teaser trailer one more time before I deleted it from my hard drive, and I realised what had been bugging me about the fireball. I'm pretty sure that the enemies die before the shockwave should have reached them. I have no way of going through it frame by frame to check, but if that's the case, it should be a really easy problem to solve. Just put a couple of frames of delay on the gibbing.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I really don't think the animations in the the teaser were finished.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

J.E. Sawyer posted:

The character animations are all alpha.
Much like everything else in the game.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Yeah, I'm real disappointed. The game looks like it won't be ready to be released until, like, Winter 2014!

Oh, wait...

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

As long as they make hitting dudes as satisfying as in the BG series, I want my screen shaking chunky salsa and ham-against-concrete effects

...blood fountains are optional :colbert:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Somebody PLEASE submit their nonsense fantasy Lovecraft game setting to the United States patent office and post their reply. thanks.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Pimpmust posted:

...blood fountains are optional :colbert:

How wrong can one person be? The first thing I want from killing that giant dragon is an explosion of gold and magical items loosed from his body with enough force to slide for a few meters. The second thing I want is a fountain of blood and dragon parts smacking my adventurers in the face with a wet, meaty thud. Let it rain. :black101:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Is that a real thing?

edit: well alrighty http://www.peginc.com/red-land-available-from-studio-101/

That looks FAR loving SUPERIOR to more Hitler fetishism.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Chairchucker posted:

The sequel, Freedom Force Vs The Third Reich, was almost exactly that, and also they both own.

A serious RPG about the dynamics of a superhero team would be absolutely beautiful.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

AXE COP posted:

A serious RPG about the dynamics of a superhero team would be absolutely beautiful.

Oh god I would love this so much. You could choose the team out of a pool of heroes with each having likes/dislikes, views on how to deal with bad guys (i.e a punisher like dude isn't going to want to hook up with someone like spider-man), and previous relationships (hero A hates Hero B because he was the reason Hero A's friend became a villain)

Being the leader you would have to deal with the public when one of your dudes accidentally kills an innocent or somebody betrays the team and becomes a villain.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 15, 2013

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

How is any of that specific to a superhero setting.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I lost this thread for a few weeks because I was looking for the old thread. Life is hard.

I am glad that Josh said that they are going to be a bit less referential than bg1 and bg2 - I was playing BG1 recently and I am not sure how much a random guy called bub snikt wandering up to you adds to the proceedings.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hannibal Rex posted:

This could be amazing, although far too out of the ordinary for most people to ever have a chance of being made.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

gog.com have a D&D collection at 80% off as part of the winter sale at the moment, for anybody interested. I finally picked up digital copies of the BG series and Planescape: Torment, as well as getting the Icewind Dale games and Temple of Elemental Evil for the first time... now I just have to find the time to play them :ohdear:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Fuligin posted:

This could be amazing, although far too out of the ordinary for most people to ever have a chance of being made.
I'd submit that most ordinary people don't give money to video game kickstarters to begin with.

Internet nerds however would likely throw money at Obsidian/inXile no matter what they proposed and love the Cthulhu mythos already. Probably not another 4million kickstarter but I can see it doing 1million easy.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

epitasis posted:

How is any of that specific to a superhero setting.

superheros are cool and fun to play

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Basic Chunnel posted:

superheros are cool and fun to play

And very few settings have a power disparity that stark between the player characters and villains and the general population. A fantasy wizard is just a wizard - a superhero is a god compared to the average person. That makes for some interesting situations when the incredibly powerful heroes interact with the ants that are the people they're trying to help.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Darkhold posted:

Internet nerds however would likely throw money at Obsidian/inXile no matter what they proposed and love the Cthulhu mythos already. Probably not another 4million kickstarter but I can see it doing 1million easy.

I just hope they begin said Kickstarter until after Stick of Truth is done, get some extra money under their belt. Also to provide said nerds (us) with enough time to save up and arrange to mortgage our houses :v:

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

gog.com have a D&D collection at 80% off as part of the winter sale at the moment, for anybody interested. I finally picked up digital copies of the BG series and Planescape: Torment, as well as getting the Icewind Dale games and Temple of Elemental Evil for the first time... now I just have to find the time to play them :ohdear:

Make sure you get the Circle of Eight modpack for ToEE and then get ready to enjoy what is far and away the best computerized D&D combat ever.

PoE should've been emulating ToEE's combat, not the Infinity Engine's.:ssh:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

epitasis posted:

Somebody PLEASE submit their nonsense fantasy Lovecraft game setting to the United States patent office and post their reply. thanks.

Honestly, the way the US patent system's been working lately, they might just issue one

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man, you are just in for a treat. One thing, you might want to hit up the Infinity Engine thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586742) for some quality-of-life mods and a good mod install order for the Baldur's Gate trilogy, PS:T and the Icewind Dale games. I'd definitely skip any content mods though, there's already plenty of awesome content in the game for a first-time player. I'd also do what FuriousGeorge said and get Circle of Eight for ToEE, it's more than a little buggy without it.

FuriousGeorge posted:

PoE should've been emulating ToEE's combat, not the Infinity Engine's.:ssh:

I don't know man, I just got done skimming rope kid's posts from the last thread and PoE combat's sounding pretty choice right now.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Fungah! posted:

I don't know man, I just got done skimming rope kid's posts from the last thread and PoE combat's sounding pretty choice right now.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm pretty stoked for PoE. Although more for "original-IP, isometric RPG by Obsidian" than I am for more RTwP combat. It's just a shame we only got one buggy, under-written game with ToEE's combat system. I would've been down for an entire Gold Box series resurrection utilizing it. :allears:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

FuriousGeorge posted:

It's just a shame we only got one buggy, under-written game with ToEE's combat system. I would've been down for an entire Gold Box series resurrection utilizing it. :allears:

Don't tease me. :negative:

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

Darkhold posted:

I'd submit that most ordinary people don't give money to video game kickstarters to begin with.

Personally, I'd like to see more of games with real world settings. However, I've gotten an impression that general tone of Obsidian designers seems to be like: such settings would be cool for adventure games rather than CRPGs-probably, considering gameplay varieties for each character-build (No super powers like soul mechanic in PoE and such). An original setting would be nice but it all depends on how many people can be gathered. If Obsidian cannot get enough people under the name of their designers and/or some popular settings (patented or not), I wonder how they could attract enough people. For me, it's hard to imagine Obsidian to catch attention with stunning graphic which seem to appeal most people.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Its probably that arena shooter Cliff Bleszinski was talking about lately.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/11/5200922/cliff-bleszinski-next-game-first-person-arena-shooter-pc
I haven't heard of any kickstarted FPS yet.
Id love to play the spiritual successor of Unreal Tournament with the writing of Planescape: Torment.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

User0015 posted:

How wrong can one person be? The first thing I want from killing that giant dragon is an explosion of gold and magical items loosed from his body with enough force to slide for a few meters. The second thing I want is a fountain of blood and dragon parts smacking my adventurers in the face with a wet, meaty thud. Let it rain. :black101:

I actually hope that gore and such are optional, like in BG2. I'm not the most comfortable with all the violence in video-games; though I recognize it as an essential part of how they're built. I still would prefer not to have tons of gore as a part of my party's actions.

FRINGE posted:

That looks FAR loving SUPERIOR to more Hitler fetishism.

What would make the russian civil a great setting for lovecraftian mythos fun is the fact that you have figures like Roman Von Ungern-Sternberg; a brutal white russian warlord who gathered a cavalry division in Mongolia and marched under the banner of the swastika (Invoking it as a good luck symbol) Who was attracted to the foreign esoteric nature of tibetan buddhism- Though he missed the whole compassionate part and took straight to the sorcery part. You could have this brutal ivan the terrible lunatic warlord and his mongolian cavalry trying to rule the world and bring in the new era of foreign deities of the great beyond.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

User0015 posted:

Alright, I want this too but man, doesn't feel very likely :saddowns:

NineBreaker
Oct 22, 2005

I tossed $500 at this thing in September of 2012 and then I kinda tuned out (mostly cos I didn't wanna get too excited.) Now that the backer portal is up, and I've confirmed my stuff (which will be coming to the beautiful island of Pohnpei in the Federated States of Micronesia--I will perhaps be the only player on the island), I'm pretty keen. We have about a year or so to go from now, right?

Rope Kid, you're already my hero for making both childhood and adulthood entertaining, but can you inform me on two thingers? One--I know we're getting two BIG cities. What are they named? (I keep looking at the map.) And are the other towns/villages going to be fairly sizeable on their own, or are we looking at "shop, inn, quest house" type stuff? Two--Do you guys have the gist for system requirements? That is to say, if my laptop can run Mathematica 9 just fine, it should probably be able to run PoE?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The big cities are Defiance Bay (west coast of the map, just left of "of Dyrwood") and, if I'm not mistaken, Twin Elms (dead centre of the map).

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

The cities are Defiance Bay and Twin Elms

e: too slow!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hannibal Rex posted:

Maybe you'd like this and the forthcoming book it's from: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2013/10/systems/call-of-cthulhu/call-of-cthulhu-the-iron-devil/

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

This looks exactly like what I'm looking for; thanks a lot.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
I would love an RPG set in either of Charlie Stross's versions of the Cthulhu mythos (his first crack, which you can read for free, is probably the superior).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Charlie Stross's
Or the social/temporal/tech wars of Singularity Sky/ Iron Sunrise/ Glass House.

Or riding Accelerando.

Or a trade war with/around The Family.

Or cyber/police work ala Rule 34.

Basically STROSS YES.

• Locked thread